Author Topic: Tyshawn SOTY 2022  (Read 40468 times)

No Wave Comply

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 138
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
Re: Tyshawn SOTY 2022
« Reply #480 on: December 14, 2022, 11:32:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I like the cut of this youtuber's jib Jah>TJ

[close]

Of course this guy is dick riding Jah:

[close]
Why does this nerd have to bring Ricci Tres into it? Lame

I made the mistake of watching his recent video. He has a spiteful bro voice and can't get over Le Jah losing SOTY, like it's a gold medal or something.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #481 on: December 14, 2022, 11:40:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I like the cut of this youtuber's jib Jah>TJ

[close]

Of course this guy is dick riding Jah:

[close]
Why does this nerd have to bring Ricci Tres into it? Lame
[close]

I made the mistake of watching his recent video. He has a spiteful bro voice and can't get over Le Jah losing SOTY, like it's a gold medal or something.
I noticed he has videos talking about Jordan Peterson so I assume he’s some sort of incel

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1261
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #482 on: December 14, 2022, 12:28:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Remember folks, Tyshawn is literally the first black man to start a skateboard company.

What a fucking kook, now I really can't wait to watch King fail.
[close]

That was a pretty ahistorical and ignorant claim. Even if he was saying the only current black own skateboard company, he's still completely wrong. He's sick and a freakishly talented skater, but he makes some pretty questionable and controversial claims.

What I'm curious about is who was he shading with the "black owned, not black inspired... you know who you are" comment? Was it a shot at FA or Violet?

Both Dill and Fat Bill seem to have an aesthetic fascination with black iconography. But since they both did so much for Tyshawn's career from the beginning, I wouldn't think he'd be so disrespectful.

I missed an earlier comment where someone said it could be a shot at Mikey Alfredo. If that's the case, then please proceed... as you were.
im still so confused as to how this is still a question between FA or Violet. It’s obviously at violet.

soccer mom

• Rep: -17
« Reply #483 on: December 14, 2022, 02:09:45 PM »
about 8 or 10 years ago a Deluxe/high speed employee told me SOTY is not chose by Phelps (as people loved to get mad at Jake) or by the voting. I think years back it was that way, but now it is a complete different method.

-Now each shoe company approaches Thrasher with a year long marketing scheme they will do through out the upcoming year with Thrasher and the skater they put forward who is going to film parts, interviews, covers etc. to be worthy of SOTY. A couple cpmpanies do this, Thrasher decides who they will go with and SOTY is eventually announced. I'm not saying this is true, but I was told so and and it seems to make sense.  Look at some of the stuff that dropped right before SOTY, seems like they knew.

If it was THRASHER skater of the year it would seem like T-Funk who filmed a full-blown SF ripping part would have won?
 T-Funk has no shoe deal so he had no chance, if the above info was true.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #484 on: December 14, 2022, 02:23:59 PM »
about 8 or 10 years ago a Deluxe/high speed employee told me SOTY is not chose by Phelps (as people loved to get mad at Jake) or by the voting. I think years back it was that way, but now it is a complete different method.

-Now each shoe company approaches Thrasher with a year long marketing scheme they will do through out the upcoming year with Thrasher and the skater they put forward who is going to film parts, interviews, covers etc. to be worthy of SOTY. A couple cpmpanies do this, Thrasher decides who they will go with and SOTY is eventually announced. I'm not saying this is true, but I was told so and and it seems to make sense.  Look at some of the stuff that dropped right before SOTY, seems like they knew.

If it was THRASHER skater of the year it would seem like T-Funk who filmed a full-blown SF ripping part would have won?

Tyshawn didnt drop anything for Adidas at all this year though?

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #485 on: December 14, 2022, 02:30:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Tyshawn didnt drop anything for Adidas at all this year though?

And Nigel had a Nike SB part 2 weeks ago.
But there's still supreme (owned by bf corp)

Sizzla

• Rep: 223
  • I luv I jah
« Reply #486 on: December 14, 2022, 03:08:16 PM »
Dey rich and dem poor inna separate class

Some dem drink outta cup, some dem drink outta glass

Ras Tyshawn him drink outta gold chalice
I an I haff nah white god

slapattack

• Rep: 14
« Reply #487 on: December 14, 2022, 06:03:03 PM »
Tyshawn is a kook based upon but not limited to:

- Saying he is the first black owned deck brand when Maxallure, DGK, City stars, Hopps all exist and or existed
- Throws shade at wide Bills company when he is partly the reason Tyshawn is where he is at today
- Calls gifted hater racist for the switch ollie that obviously wasn't a make
- Says there isn't a formula for winning SOTY but proceeds to dump 4 years of footage in the last month
- States skating should be more like boxing and skaters should compete to "win" and talk shit on each others parts
- Doesnt watch anyone elses parts showing he doesnt even give AF about the true passion of skating

Not to mention his "businesses" take for example his restaurant which has horrible reviews. Or his underwear brand "brick" that legit looks like gag gift boxer briefs that are 40 dollars for a two pack. IDK how tf people still give this dude the pass just because he can pop his tricks high while wearing a one piece jumpsuit or some short shorts.

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #488 on: December 17, 2022, 04:05:03 AM »
He’s already claiming 3. We’ll prolly get a December 2026 footy dump.

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -220
« Reply #489 on: December 17, 2022, 06:02:29 AM »

no idea if this conspiracy theory is true, but it would be understandable seeing as it made no sense for Tyshawn to be Phelps choice when he won his first SOTY. Evan is about as psychedelic hellride as it gets, Phelper would have went with him over Tyshawn any day.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
« Reply #490 on: December 17, 2022, 06:49:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

no idea if this conspiracy theory is true, but it would be understandable seeing as it made no sense for Tyshawn to be Phelps choice when he won his first SOTY. Evan is about as psychedelic hellride as it gets, Phelper would have went with him over Tyshawn any day.

Except that he didn't.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #491 on: December 17, 2022, 09:14:48 AM »
I just wanted to give a special thanks to the guys booing last night at the awards presentation. That made my night. So many of us felt it inside of us, but we’re not rude enough to say it out loud. Had me cracking up. Think I heard a nineties style “west siiiiide!!!” yelled out as well. Felt like I was at the Source awards for a minute.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
    • swarm life avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #492 on: December 17, 2022, 09:58:05 AM »
Full speech from last night:

Non IG Link (expires in 90 days):
https://streamable.com/rpk1lj

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #493 on: December 17, 2022, 10:26:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Remember folks, Tyshawn is literally the first black man to start a skateboard company.

What a fucking kook, now I really can't wait to watch King fail.
[close]
Can’t tell whether you’re joking or stupid..
[close]

"(King) the only black owned skate company...who else black owned? Black owned not black inspired, black owned..."

-Tyshawn (without a hint of sarcasm or irony)
[close]
where did he say he's the first black man to start, and own (a major distinction), a skateboard company? it seems fairly obvious he's referring to the current landscape, not the entirety of history, and although he might be wrong about being the "only" black-owned board brand he only has a handful of peers in that sense - hopps and maybe maxallure?

Not start, but owned:

26:40
He mentions elsewhere - possibly in the chat he did with Gary Rogers - that he wanted to release The General in the summer but Burnett asked him to hold it.

Potentially more fuel for the fire:

I remember when I first saw it I had to watch Cyrus’s part a few times before I could move on to the rest of the video. He really put in work for that part.

Yeah, he had an amazing year in 2020. I remember looking back and thinking of all the crazy shit he did last year. I didn’t even tell anyone at Thrasher that the video was coming but apparently Cyrus could have easily been a SOTY contender had they’d known. But I just didn’t think about that at all.

- Johnny Wilson ...
https://heckride.com/f/johnny-wilson

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -278
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #494 on: December 17, 2022, 10:59:18 AM »
White people so triggered over his attitude and fits

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #495 on: December 18, 2022, 03:59:29 AM »
Full speech from last night:

Non IG Link (expires in 90 days):
https://streamable.com/rpk1lj

The fuck... Vibes from the audience seemed a bit weird. And as a result, on stage as well.

I've never seen people try to sandbag a SOTY so hard before this year. USA seriously on some fucked vibes right now.

All of these people trying to ruin the moment, their brains and personalities are fucked from getting COVID too many times. How are you going to go to an award night just to be weird? Let the guy speak on his night. So strange.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

slapattack

« Reply #496 on: December 18, 2022, 04:05:53 AM »
I mean it makes sense tyshawn just surrounds himself with a bunch of yes man trying to stepping stool off of him. But damn watching Strobeck and Gary grab for the mic repeatedly was so cringe

Rune Spliffberg

• Rep: 107
« Reply #497 on: December 18, 2022, 04:50:43 AM »

A lot of the flack he gets really does come down to this, so many frail and timid white skaters that hate to see a confident young black man succeed in ways they can only dream of.

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #498 on: December 18, 2022, 05:09:34 AM »
Worst SOTY decision ever. Not only for skating, but for dudes turning it in a racial thing.

Miss you Rusty Berings

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -764
« Reply #499 on: December 18, 2022, 05:44:02 AM »
I'm not watching nearly 10 mins of that but it didn't seem like they were booing him to me ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #500 on: December 18, 2022, 05:56:43 AM »
atiba has to be the biggest dick rider in skating. trailing close behind is lui elliot
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

veritas

« Reply #501 on: December 18, 2022, 06:05:14 AM »
I mean it makes sense tyshawn just surrounds himself with a bunch of yes man trying to stepping stool off of him. But damn watching Strobeck and Gary grab for the mic repeatedly was so cringe

After hearing Gary speak its clear why they script those one liners in his weekly 3 minute Chappelle impersonation wrap-up videos. I'd be booing too if I had to listen to his room-temperature IQ thoughts in any format without a mute button.

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -220
« Reply #502 on: December 18, 2022, 06:10:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A lot of the flack he gets really does come down to this, so many frail and timid white skaters that hate to see a confident young black man succeed in ways they can only dream of.

Meanwhile they all want to see a confident young black Nyjah, who is more successful than Tyshawn, win SOTY.... your logic really stands up to scrutiny dipshit

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #503 on: December 18, 2022, 06:15:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

when you grow up you'll realize criticism isn't fueled by hate, jealousy or racism
that's what undeveloped brains think

it's fueled by passion and a desire for getting the best of someone.
An ambitious guy like Tyshawn should praise it, you should too
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 06:23:01 AM by BALARGUE »

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -519
« Reply #504 on: December 18, 2022, 06:40:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

when you grow up you'll realize criticism isn't fueled by hate, jealousy or racism

In fairness, white males aren’t really given a lot of encouragement to be cocky or outwardly self promotional; that’s seen as a pretty gross trait when a white male exhibits it.  This societal discouragement could make white males more judgmental of self promotion/ ego / cockiness.  If you’re going to make something that is seen as unquestionably negative (cockiness/ ego) in one community, a positive staple of another, you might conflate people disliking a personality trait (albeit one encouraged in the black community) with racism.

slapattack

« Reply #505 on: December 18, 2022, 08:38:20 AM »
atiba has to be the biggest dick rider in skating. trailing close behind is lui elliot

Lmao facts Atiba also has such a punchable face. Also it took me until today to realize Lui elliot and Manny santiago are different people. They always somehow manage to weasel their way into events without ever skating.

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #506 on: December 18, 2022, 09:03:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lmao facts Atiba also has such a punchable face. Also it took me until today to realize Lui elliot and Manny santiago are different people. They always somehow manage to weasel their way into events without ever skating.

lui elliot can skate, i seen it in person used to be on huf

Rune Spliffberg

• Rep: 107
« Reply #507 on: December 18, 2022, 09:30:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Meanwhile they all want to see a confident young black Nyjah, who is more successful than Tyshawn, win SOTY.... your logic really stands up to scrutiny dipshit

who mentioned nyjah? u speak for every white person now? idiot.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #508 on: December 18, 2022, 09:58:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

In fairness, white males aren’t really given a lot of encouragement to be cocky or outwardly self promotional; that’s seen as a pretty gross trait when a white male exhibits it.  This societal discouragement could make white males more judgmental of self promotion/ ego / cockiness.  If you’re going to make something that is seen as unquestionably negative (cockiness/ ego) in one community, a positive staple of another, you might conflate people disliking a personality trait (albeit one encouraged in the black community) with racism.

This is a great point
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #509 on: December 18, 2022, 10:37:05 AM »
Worst SOTY decision ever. Not only for skating, but for dudes turning it in a racial thing.

I’d argue that it was a very smart SOTY choice from the perspective of a magazine getting quality content in the future:

Nyjah and Louie aren’t quitting until they win one.

Tyshawn is definitely going for a third win, especially with all the shit he’s getting right now.

While I think the race debate is wack, it’s not like this is the first time a less prolific dude with less gnarly footage won. If that wasn’t the case then Koston should have like 5 SOTYs. So I can see how people would go there, especially if random dude on Instagram doesn’t know that Nyjah is half black.