Author Topic: Thunder turny hack  (Read 4049 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1009
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Thunder turny hack
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2021, 12:20:23 PM »
Has Thunder geometry changed since ~2007? Fucking around with an old set of 145s (lows I think?), bushings are kinda shot but they grind damn good. Do the new baseplates still say USA made? These extend the WB 3.125”.

Yeah dude, they revamped everything a while back starting with the 147s, then 149s (no idea if they touched the 145s) adn the geo for sure changed on the then 49mm 149s to the current 52ish 149s; they don't make lo trucks anymore.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2021, 01:06:36 PM »
Has Thunder geometry changed since ~2007? Fucking around with an old set of 145s (lows I think?), bushings are kinda shot but they grind damn good. Do the new baseplates still say USA made? These extend the WB 3.125”.
I don't think they have, spoke with Jim T awhile back and it is was in lew of flaw's with each truck and asked if he ever wanted to change up the geometry to make a Indy equivalent and he said it'd be a complete rebuild I guess he's not trying that.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2021, 01:36:09 PM »
The best turning hack I've found for Thunder is add a riser. I know a lot people aren't into risers but they 'destabilize' the trucks in a good way. The higher the truck the more leverage you have over it. 1/8" riser and broken in stock bushing on a 151 (cast plates only) - feels pretty good to me.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 01:53:10 PM by Frank and Fred »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2021, 05:23:59 PM »
Do the new baseplates still say USA made?

I don't think any trucks are USA made any more, but before anyone starts with the quality issue or whatever, they all still do exactly the same thing as they did before and really there are almost no differences in quality from what I have seen and heard.

The best turning hack I've found for Thunder is add a riser. I know a lot people aren't into risers but they 'destabilize' the trucks in a good way. The higher the truck the more leverage you have over it. 1/8" riser and broken in stock bushing on a 151 (cast plates only) - feels pretty good to me.

I feel like the best overall height for trucks is around 54 mm, but that is just me.  Boards I ride that have Indy trucks (55 mm) have no risers and are good with most wheels up to 56mm.  Boards with Thunders have thin risers and they feel so much easier to skate with anything up to 56 mm wheels as well, but I have a couple of sets with much smaller wheels (less than 50 mm) and no risers, which skate fine.

Funny how people complain about wheelbite but do nothing to lift the trucks, when even a mm or two makes so much difference.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2232
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2021, 05:38:12 PM »
Funny how people complain about wheelbite but do nothing to lift the trucks, when even a mm or two makes so much difference.
I draw the line at risers.
Them’s a hard NOPE for me.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2021, 05:43:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I draw the line at risers.
Them’s a hard NOPE for me.

Ha, but I don't think I have ever heard you complain!  :)

juniormint

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 140
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2021, 04:42:42 AM »

This is so true, at least my experience with 151s is similar. Usually on wheels 54-56 quite loose, broken in bushings. Turn is really good, still get wheelbite, but not the kind that gets you pitched when you land poorly. Definitely gives me more confidence to turn harder and sharper as well.

ballintoohard

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2021, 11:15:35 AM »
For the hell of it I decided to loosen each of my trucks a full turn. I never adjust the nuts and most people say my trucks are on the looser side of medium, but not rattle-y. So far it actually feels like anything but flip tricks and fakie is better, but my manuals went to shit.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2021, 04:21:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't think any trucks are USA made any more, but before anyone starts with the quality issue or whatever, they all still do exactly the same thing as they did before and really there are almost no differences in quality from what I have seen and heard.

thunders n ventures are still poured at ermico, where they source the metals from is a different story

Fat Tire

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2021, 04:25:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

thunders n ventures are still poured at ermico, where they source the metals from is a different story

to clarify im talking about the cast versions, the forged plates are not usa made

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2021, 05:25:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

to clarify im talking about the cast versions, the forged plates are not usa made

But no trucks have USA on them any more, or at least none we have over here...

Thought they had moved most if not all production down to Mexico for everything (as per wood, Spitfire wheels, etc), but happy to be told otherwise.  :)

Fat Tire

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2021, 05:53:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

But no trucks have USA on them any more, or at least none we have over here...

Thought they had moved most if not all production down to Mexico for everything (as per wood, Spitfire wheels, etc), but happy to be told otherwise.  :)

Can't put USA on em because they import the materials but yeah still made here  :-)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2021, 07:33:56 PM »
what I plan on trying for sure.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1583
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2021, 10:56:20 PM »
It might save you some wheelbite as well....

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2021, 11:27:15 PM »
I mostly go in pretty straight lines skating ledges and such, I never fuck with bowls, which is where I guess all this turning comes in handy?

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2021, 07:10:55 PM »
I mostly go in pretty straight lines skating ledges and such, I never fuck with bowls, which is where I guess all this turning comes in handy?

yeah but even when u fuck up a half cab flip for example and lean too hard its nice cuz then u dont bite and die

venture highs are good for this since they allow you to lean a bit before u actually start to turn