Author Topic: Kevin Smith Movies  (Read 1738 times)

DanTheDoucher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
Kevin Smith Movies
« on: October 07, 2019, 10:13:43 AM »
Anyone a fan of Kevin Smith's movies?

With the upcoming Jay and Silent Bob Reboot set to hit theaters really soon, this may as well be talked about.

ALSO

Jeff Anderson finally agreed to participate in Clerks 3, so it's going to happen. Needless to say I'm psyched.

How do you rank his View Askew-niverse films?

Here's how I see it:

1. Clerks
2. Chasing Amy
3. Clerks 2
4. Mallrats
5. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
6. Dogma

« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 10:15:20 AM by DanTheDoucher »
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

DarthDingusMaximus

Re: Kevin Smith Movies
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 10:40:08 AM »
Apart from those Jay & Silent Bob movies I enjoyed the other works he's done,  a better place was a great flick and vulgar with Bryan O'Hallaren was a good movie about revenge Red State & Tusk were great despite anyone says nothing better then that outcome for Justin Long's character.

I find his movies kinda definitive and niche for those Gen Xers timeline from 75' to 80'

every single person he's had in those movies we've all met someone with a fucked up backstory or a bit too much on some shit we've got no business knowing.  plus who doesn't love Randall and his musings of ignorance.

burtreynolds.jpeg

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 11:12:48 AM »
I think Chasing Amy is the best thing he's done. So much depth and feeling without sacrificing the staple humor.
I think Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is probably my least favorite. Not to say it's bad. However, I haven't seen Cop Out...I've heard atrocious things about that one.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 11:20:01 AM »
Only seen Mallrats and it was awesome!

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 11:25:19 AM »
Kevin Smith is great. Love his old shit. Clerks. Mall Rats. He's cool.

If you don't like his straight comedy shit, try his films Red State and Tusk. They are nice diversions from his normal stuff. Just weird, tight, tense, horror/thrillers done well with terrific actors.

Seriously watch these two films he also wrote and directed if you haven't. Way different than his other comedy stuff.

Red State https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0873886/  Michael Parks, John Goodman, Stephen Root

Tusk https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3099498/  Michael Parks, Justin Long, Haley Joel Osment
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 12:01:11 PM by os89 »

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 11:37:10 AM »
I think Chasing Amy is the best thing he's done. So much depth and feeling without sacrificing the staple humor.
I think Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is probably my least favorite. Not to say it's bad. However, I haven't seen Cop Out...I've heard atrocious things about that one.

I could be wrong, but I do not believe Kevin Smith wrote Cop Out. He was just a producer/editor I think...
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 11:38:16 AM »
Only seen Mallrats and it was awesome!

I still can't believe that was Jason Lee's first real movie role. He was brilliant.
FUCK YOU

burtreynolds.jpeg

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 11:44:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I could be wrong, but I do not believe Kevin Smith wrote Cop Out. He was just a producer/editor I think...

He directed it.

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 01:00:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

He directed it.

Ahhh yes that was it.
FUCK YOU

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 01:04:03 PM »
Trimella
mArLeY

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 01:38:58 PM »
Trimella

Not gonna lie to you sir, I have no idea what this is/means.
FUCK YOU

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 02:47:45 PM »
Kevin Smith has made some great movies, I don't get why Jeff Anderson is always so reluctant to be in the clerks movies, it's made him haha not like he has a whole lot else going on. Chasing Amy rules, the story alone in the diner makes that movie so good haha anyway I'm sure my outlook always changes but at this time off the top of my head mine would go:

1. Mallrats
2. Clerks 2
3. Jay and Silent bob strike back
4. Clerks
5. Dogma
6. Chasing Amy

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 04:27:57 PM »

great flick Jason Lee is in it as well he plays a douche canoe for sure.

Rick_Kane

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 04:36:15 PM »
Clerks, Mallrats and Chasing Amy are decent and everything else is garbage. Just my opinion, relax.

duster1

• Rep: 0
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 05:26:46 PM »
Skating and Baitin

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 09:44:13 PM »
Good to hear Jeff finally agreed, hes a vital part of clerks. Im keen to check out the reboot, dont think theres a kevin smith movie i havent enjoyed.

My favourites would

Jay and silent bob strike back
clerks 2
clerks
mallrats
dogma
chasing amy

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Mongey

• Rep: -5
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 10:17:59 PM »
I like red state much more than I thought I was going to.

Thrillho

• Rep: 133
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 11:45:56 PM »
As for his recent stuff, I really liked Tusk. Michael Parks played such an amazing psycho embedded in such a wacky terrible story, and the reveal is so startling. Red State was worth one watch, maybe. I tried twice, but couldn't even finish Yoga Hosers.

1 ) Mallrats
2 ) Clerks
3 ) Dogma
4 ) Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
5 ) Chasing Amy
6 ) Clerks 2
7 ) Zach and Miri
8 ) Jersey Girl
Never saw Cop Out

The Clerks cartoon is amazing, mostly because Dave Mandel (Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm) was the head writer.

Drawing Flies and Vulgar, done by some of Kevin's friends, are pretty weird.

I kind of wish Jeff Anderson would have stuck to his refusal. He didn't even want to do Clerks 2, because he didn't want to shit on something he knew a lot of people identified with. Reboot looks terrible. Kevin's daughter cannot act, and Jay has forgotten how to play himself convincingly. Under all of that, Kevin is too high, busy doing live podcasts, getting into once sided disputes, and "directing" CW super hero shows to really focus on making a decent film. And I am (or at least was) a huge fan, this is not something I want to be true.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2019, 12:20:53 AM »
As for his recent stuff, I really liked Tusk. Michael Parks played such an amazing psycho embedded in such a wacky terrible story, and the reveal is so startling. Red State was worth one watch, maybe. I tried twice, but couldn't even finish Yoga Hosers.

1 ) Mallrats
2 ) Clerks
3 ) Dogma
4 ) Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
5 ) Chasing Amy
6 ) Clerks 2
7 ) Zach and Miri
8 ) Jersey Girl

Never saw Cop Out

The Clerks cartoon is amazing, mostly because Dave Mandel (Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm) was the head writer.

Drawing Flies and Vulgar, done by some of Kevin's friends, are pretty weird.

I kind of wish Jeff Anderson would have stuck to his refusal. He didn't even want to do Clerks 2, because he didn't want to shit on something he knew a lot of people identified with. Reboot looks terrible. Kevin's daughter cannot act, and Jay has forgotten how to play himself convincingly. Under all of that, Kevin is too high, busy doing live podcasts, getting into once sided disputes, and "directing" CW super hero shows to really focus on making a decent film. And I am (or at least was) a huge fan, this is not something I want to be true.

Forgot about these 2, both decent films but fair spot for them on the list. As far as Cop out, it was terrible, i couldnt sit through it again.
I know Jeff was worried about how clerks 2 would come off but i thought he did great and the movie wasnt horrible....without him involved it wouldnt have worked

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2019, 06:31:33 AM »
Kevin Smith has made some great movies, I don't get why Jeff Anderson is always so reluctant to be in the clerks movies, it's made him haha not like he has a whole lot else going on. Chasing Amy rules, the story alone in the diner makes that movie so good haha anyway I'm sure my outlook always changes but at this time off the top of my head mine would go:

1. Mallrats
2. Clerks 2
3. Jay and Silent bob strike back
4. Clerks
5. Dogma
6. Chasing Amy

"Archie is not FUCKING Mr. Weatherby!"
FUCK YOU

fftc

• Rep: 1
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2019, 07:19:23 AM »
Good to hear Jeff finally agreed, hes a vital part of clerks. Im keen to check out the reboot, dont think theres a kevin smith movie i havent enjoyed.

My favourites would

clerks 2
clerks
mallrats
dogma
chasing amy

Almost the exact opposite for me, 'cept I'd swap Mallrats and Dogma, and J&SBSB and Clerks 2. So maybe not that exact opposite!
Clerks 2 was a real disappointment for me, probably because it was the most anticipated. From memory it was OK, just not as good as I'd hoped, and given I haven't seen it since it was in the cinema it obviously didn't hit the spot.

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2019, 07:29:01 AM »
Expand Quote

My favourites would

clerks 2
clerks
mallrats
dogma
chasing amy
[close]

Almost the exact opposite for me, 'cept I'd swap Mallrats and Dogma, and J&SBSB and Clerks 2. So maybe not that exact opposite!
Clerks 2 was a real disappointment for me, probably because it was the most anticipated. From memory it was OK, just not as good as I'd hoped, and given I haven't seen it since it was in the cinema it obviously didn't hit the spot.

I honestly find Clerks 2 more re-watchable than the original Clerks. I think Clerks is a much better movie, but Clerks 2 has some of the funniest scenes in Kevin Smith's movies. The ass-to-mouth scene, the Lord of the Rings vs. Star Wars scene, and the donkey show? So good.
FUCK YOU

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2019, 07:56:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My favourites would

clerks 2
clerks
mallrats
dogma
chasing amy
[close]

[close]

I honestly find Clerks 2 more re-watchable than the original Clerks. I think Clerks is a much better movie, but Clerks 2 has some of the funniest scenes in Kevin Smith's movies. The ass-to-mouth scene, the Lord of the Rings vs. Star Wars scene, and the donkey show? So good.
I find the this to be the proper order of what I like
Clerks 2 & 1
Chasing Amy
Dogma
Mallrats
Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back
too many scenes to laugh at the porch monkey scene was fucked but that's what I'm talking about where Jef ignorance is hilarious, LOTR scene was funny I also liked the Pickle fucker scene reminds me of someone we use to know as he was a didk.

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2019, 08:09:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My favourites would

clerks 2
clerks
mallrats
dogma
chasing amy
[close]

[close]

[close]
I find the this to be the proper order of what I like
Clerks 2 & 1
Chasing Amy
Dogma
Mallrats
Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back
too many scenes to laugh at the porch monkey scene was fucked but that's what I'm talking about where Jef ignorance is hilarious, LOTR scene was funny I also liked the Pickle fucker scene reminds me of someone we use to know as he was a didk.

"This food tastes like piss and flies."

The porch monkey scene was classic. When Earthquake says, "Baby, you can't taste racism!", I lose it.

And after Wanda Sykes makes them leave, Earthquake says, "DAMN!" in the most hilarious way.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 08:10:54 AM by DanTheDoucher »
FUCK YOU

fftc

• Rep: 1
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2019, 08:37:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My favourites would

clerks 2
clerks
mallrats
dogma
chasing amy
[close]

[close]

Maybe I need to track it down and give it another watch. It has been a long time. The others have all been watched multiple times and I'm even sad enough to still have some memorabilia from Chasing Amy and J&SBSB!

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2019, 08:39:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My favourites would

clerks 2
clerks
mallrats
dogma
chasing amy
[close]

[close]

[close]

Maybe I need to track it down and give it another watch. It has been a long time. The others have all been watched multiple times and I'm even sad enough to still have some memorabilia from Chasing Amy and J&SBSB!

I don't find that to be sad whatsoever haha
FUCK YOU

duster1

• Rep: 0
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2019, 09:56:52 AM »
I like to think Tracer was referencing Jason Lee’s character from Chasing Amy with his username
Skating and Baitin

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2019, 10:24:54 AM »
As long as his new movies are more Clerks and less Yoga Hosers, that film was fucking dogshit.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2019, 11:31:49 AM »
As long as his new movies are more Clerks and less Yoga Hosers, that film was fucking dogshit.
His daughter can't act for shit and it comes off disingenuous and tripe.

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2019, 11:50:02 AM »
pete benz
mArLeY