Author Topic: Have You Ever Stepped Onto a Pro’s Sled?  (Read 3893 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1151
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Have You Ever Stepped Onto a Pro’s Sled?
« on: December 24, 2022, 09:03:47 PM »
Who’s setups have you tried out?  What did you think of each of them? 

Were there any that were different than you thought they would be?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 05:57:59 PM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Tear Up a Trick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
Re: Have You Ever Stepped Onto a Pro’s Board?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 09:20:04 PM »
I vaguely remember picking up Pancho Moler's board one time.  Nothing about it really stayed with me though.

Was he pro?

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 09:43:30 PM »
I vaguely remember picking up Pancho Moler's board one time.  Nothing about it really stayed with me though.

Was he pro?

yeah for think

doublesteveburger

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 10:00:14 PM »
step on my board every day bruh  8)

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 10:30:21 PM »
step on my board every day bruh  8)

my lil pro

Buttholesurfer

• Rep: 13
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 11:03:34 PM »
One time jerry hsu’s board shot out toward me across the skate park at garvanza. I decided to ride it to give it back. He looked at me like i violated him.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2022, 11:28:07 PM »
I bought a board of Tommy Budjanec at a park in SD, does that count? He hadn‘t ridden it tho.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

doublesteveburger

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2022, 12:38:51 AM »
One time jerry hsu’s board shot out toward me across the skate park at garvanza. I decided to ride it to give it back. He looked at me like i violated him.

totally did that’s psycho

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2022, 03:11:26 AM »
In 2012 I was visiting London and headed by Southbank. There were about six people there I want to say. I didn’t have my board but Lucien Clarke did. I played dumb and had a general chat to him pretending didn’t know he was a pro. He was friendly and let me have a roll in his board. It was a 7.75 I reckon with cranked down Ventures. It didn’t turn too well but at least gave me opportunity to have a roll at the spot. Lucien also took a photo of me with two other skate tourists. It was a wholesome time. He probably thought I was a kook and that makes it even better.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 04:32:41 AM by Murray Hewitt »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1078
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2022, 05:22:19 AM »
I tried to skate Rollersurfer's deck but his trucks are so insanely tight that I could only roll in a straight line.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2022, 06:04:06 AM »
I tried to skate Rollersurfer's deck but his trucks are so insanely tight that I could only roll in a straight line.
He explained that to me.

He said he’s actually a heavy guy, and running tighter trucks lets him lean into his trucks more without bottoming out and getting wheelbite
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 01:28:44 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Free Max B
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2022, 06:18:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah this is actually kind of a crazy one.

Back in like 2006 after the KOTR that ended at Autumn Bowl in nyc, Reynolds left a few barely ridden 8.75 boards at the shop (before that was a size for the public) bc I guess he was setting up a new one every day regardless. Those were the best boards I’ve ever skated.

I’m usually surprised how skinny dudes boards are. Idk how mfs even skate like 825 let alone the dudes skating 

Free max b
FREE MAX B

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2022, 06:21:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
He explained that to me.

He said he’s actually a heavy guy, and running tighter trucks Keyes him lean into his trucks more without bottoming out run he y away and getting wheelbitet

Yeah, it obviously works great for him. I think he has such a low-slung style that he's got his weight and center of gravity much lower than most skaters. It's just funny because I think a lot of people probably assume he has like rattly loose trucks when it fact they're Daveeeed tight.

MtnDoucheBag

• Rep: -100
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2022, 07:04:08 AM »

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2022, 07:15:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You should have tried kissing him on the mouth

Full disclosure I don’t think there’s anything weird stepping on another persons board would of just been nice

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2022, 07:31:22 AM »
My buddy won Billy marks board I think in a game of pool. I remember it being super skinny (7.5 or 7.75) super tight trucks and skinny wheels. It felt about right.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2022, 08:03:25 AM »
Question: Have You Ever Stepped Onto a Pro’s Board?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yyyeeeeeeeeessssss.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2022, 08:05:50 AM »
I have a board Japhey dow rode hanging on my wall #proaf

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1489
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2022, 08:11:36 AM »
I fetched Hosoi’s board at A’ala Park one time during a contest/demo he showed up to. It was a popsicle shape that he cut notches out of like DIY money bumps. I had a split second internal crisis if I should just take off with it because I’m a megafan but I skated up and handed it to him.

This was before he went to prison and before A’ala got all those obstacles/additions built.

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2022, 08:12:35 AM »
Most have been pretty standard setups. Nothing noteworthy or worth remembering.

I will say that Leo Romero has the tightest trucks I've ever stepped on though. I'm a much bigger dude than him and couldn't even turn.

Daewon unsurprisingly had the tiniest board and loosest trucks of any pro board I've stepped on.

Also many OG pros still skate boards that are 8.0 and smaller.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1489
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2022, 08:16:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You should have tried kissing him on the mouth

Full disclosure I don’t think there’s anything weird stepping on another persons board would of just been nice
Real etiquette dictates you pick it up and fling it as far as possible. If you can chuck it over the fence, then do it. Then you eyeball and mad dog him and scream, “there, I picked up your trash for you, loser!”

winecrab

• Rep: -176
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2022, 08:26:01 AM »
The enjoi team was in Miami filming for bag of suck. My board broke at the previous spot so Caswell let me ride his for a bit. Then he asked me if I wanted to see a California brown snake. I said sure so he took me behind a bush and showed me a massive turd he'd just shit out. Then he sold me a board for $20. My friend also asked Jerry Hsu if he was Daniel Shimizu.

frontshuv

• Rep: -18
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2022, 08:29:19 AM »
used to buy barely used Kerry Getz boards at Noctural while I was a little guy for like 5 bucks. I used to love how he put on the Royal and Ezekial stickers.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1151
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2022, 09:28:21 AM »
The enjoi team was in Miami filming for bag of suck. My board broke at the previous spot so Caswell let me ride his for a bit. Then he asked me if I wanted to see a California brown snake. I said sure so he took me behind a bush and showed me a massive turd he'd just shit out. Then he sold me a board for $20. My friend also asked Jerry Hsu if he was Daniel Shimizu.

Hahaha
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

fuckingawesomesauce

• Rep: 11
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2022, 09:31:23 AM »
One time ishods board rolled over to me so I kicked back in his direction

HaveFunSkateboarding

• Rep: 20
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2022, 09:54:27 AM »
I think in 1994 I went to a Plan B, Menace, Blind, 101 etc. demo and worked up the courage to talk to Rodney Mullen. I bought a 101 Gino board at the skate shop hosting the demo and had just put it together there. We talked about some random stuff and he took my board to see what I was skating and he gave me his to check out. I was super excited/nervous and tried a kick flip and I think it flip 2.5 times and I landed on his board upside down. He did a couple freestyle things on my board and gave it back. This is probably one of the most memorable “meeting a pro” experiences I ever had. I was like 14/15 years old then.

Side note. I remember him telling me he was working on a truck design where there’d be little pins that went through the hanger so the axles wouldn’t slip (at this time slipping axles were a horrible problem for all trucks). Those trucks never came out but I’m sure whatever he was working on turned into Tensor.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2022, 12:26:20 PM »
This feels dirty. Totally violating one of THE biggest unwritten rules - thou shall not step on another’s sled.

MAYBE if they offer but only if it’s unsolicited or possibly during a gear madness discussion or filming when a board breaks.
There are people I’ve known an d skated with for over 15 years and I STILL wouldn’t get on their boards. Just don’t go there.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2022, 12:30:50 PM »
This feels dirty. Totally violating one of THE biggest unwritten rules - thou shall not step on another’s sled.

MAYBE if they offer but only if it’s unsolicited or possibly during a gear madness discussion or filming when a board breaks.
There are people I’ve known an d skated with for over 15 years and I STILL wouldn’t get on their boards. Just don’t go there.

The fuck? No one I have ever skated with has remotely cared and I can't imagine how I'd react if someone were like "DON'T TOUCH MY SLED, BRO!!!"

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2022, 12:36:46 PM »

Minutes after reading this I am still giggling.

Regarding subject: no I havent and will not ever

disclosed

• Rep: 181
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2022, 12:57:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The fuck? No one I have ever skated with has remotely cared and I can't imagine how I'd react if someone were like "DON'T TOUCH MY SLED, BRO!!!"

almost every time i skate with other people i skate their decks. especially when i skate with a group of people near the end of the session when everyone is just sitting and talking i'll take everyones deck one by one and try my go to's and see if anything is easier or harder on their setups. it helps me play with the madness while not investing 1000ths in gear.

most people around me got the madness anyway. so then afterwards we discuss why our setups are the way they are and what they like and dont like and what works for them and why, and what they thinking of changeing. etc. big ass nerd time at the end of the session.