Author Topic: Helmets  (Read 3872 times)

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
Helmets
« on: February 22, 2022, 08:02:29 AM »
To skate where I wanna/gotta, sometimes you need one. When you skate like I do, you ought to wear one, probably anytime you’re out of bed.
I’ve got a protec classic certified. Works and fits fine, but the rubbery finish always looks dirty and the liner is getting ratty, and it hasn’t seen that much use. I see protec offers a new (hopefully improved) version of the liner, but my size is out of stock.

So, whaddya got? Whaddy like?

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
Re: Helmets
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 08:07:30 AM »
S-works Airnet which saved my tiny brain when I got hit by a car while riding my bike. It's lightweight, comfy, and structurally compromised.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

braksabbath

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 08:29:08 AM »
Bern allston bike helmet since i bike a lot. Looks like a regular skate helmet, or maybe it doesn’t but buying another skate specific one seems dumb. Almost want the old school Pro Tec but the flippy visor on the Bern is tight when the sun is out.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 08:31:51 AM »
S-works Airnet which saved my tiny brain when I got hit by a car while riding my bike. It's lightweight, comfy, and structurally compromised.

POC saved my noggin when I got flipped over my bars while descending.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 09:11:54 AM »
Full cut is the only way to go…..

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 10:47:49 AM »
I got a TSG meta for a lot of money because I was convinced I'm gonna start skating vert. I actually dropped in 3 times and then the only vert ramp got ripped apart because it apparently wasn't safe anymore.

The helmet is comfortable though

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 10:51:47 AM »

I think full cut are cool, but they look too hot.  I actually went classic instead of full so I could wear hearing protection or earbuds. 

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 10:55:52 AM »
I have a protec gonz full cut skate helmet. They make 2 versions, a classic skate and a certified version. The skate lakes that hard foam, only the soft foam. Its less protective, but more comfy.

https://protecbrand.com/collections/sale

DefyGravityGuy

• Rep: 9
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022, 11:31:50 AM »
I have a protec gonz full cut skate helmet. They make 2 versions, a classic skate and a certified version. The skate lakes that hard foam, only the soft foam. Its less protective, but more comfy.

https://protecbrand.com/collections/sale

I also have a gonz full cut certified. I really like it. To me it is really comfortable to the point i forget I wear one until I need to scratch my head  ;D

So my vote also goes to the (gonz) full cut. Definitely the certified because if you are wearing one why not be certain that it will at least help some and it still is very comfortable and light.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 109
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 11:55:54 AM »
I also dig the full cut certified Gonz Pro-tec. I've also used S1 lifer helmets and they're nice, too, but the sizing runs small.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Rep: 128
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 12:13:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Glad to see some MTBros on here.

I wear a Giro Phase for MTB and usually wear my Pro-Tec classic non-certified while skating. Medium fits absolutely perfect. Gotta protect what's left of my melted brain.

Also, obligatory:

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 12:16:45 PM »
I have a TSG Meta for park skating. Lightweight and fairly low profile.

Pretty pleased with it overall, and TSG customer service replaced the padded inserts promptly when the ones that it came with started to peel/break down.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2022, 12:28:10 PM »
Full cut non-certified protec. Surprisingly needed an xl even though I'm pretty sure my head isn't that big. I'm a 7 3/8 fitted hat, which is pretty average.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2022, 12:32:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Glad to see some MTBros on here.

I wear a Giro Phase for MTB and usually wear my Pro-Tec classic non-certified while skating. Medium fits absolutely perfect. Gotta protect what's left of my melted brain.

I'm a total roadie Fred

But yea, I love helmets!

artskool

• Rep: 31
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2022, 12:38:13 PM »
Bern allston bike helmet since i bike a lot. Looks like a regular skate helmet, or maybe it doesn’t but buying another skate specific one seems dumb. Almost want the old school Pro Tec but the flippy visor on the Bern is tight when the sun is out.

I skate in one of these too. I appreciate how it wraps around the back of your skull more than a lot of bike helmets out there. I used to have triple 8 helmet, but a bike helmet is so much more comfortable, better fitting, and actually tested and certified. Visor is nice too.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2022, 12:50:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I skate in one of these too. I appreciate how it wraps around the back of your skull more than a lot of bike helmets out there. I used to have triple 8 helmet, but a bike helmet is so much more comfortable, better fitting, and actually tested and certified. Visor is nice too.
I just cut out the BOA on the back cuz I never use it and there could be some Final Destination slam where it punctures my skull and superglued more velcro on the visor to keep it from sliding down

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1427
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2022, 01:59:18 PM »

I've got a full cut but i only use it when I'm skating something really big, like a vert ramp

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2022, 02:09:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think full cut are cool, but they look too hot.  I actually went classic instead of full so I could wear hearing protection or earbuds.

Fullcut…..tarp off is the only way to go….

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2022, 04:35:14 PM »
Triple 8 Certified Sweat Saver which has saved my head before, but I'm thinking about getting a Protec Full Cut Certified just because I think they look neat.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2022, 05:14:41 PM »
I have a TSG Meta for park skating. Lightweight and fairly low profile.

Pretty pleased with it overall, and TSG customer service replaced the padded inserts promptly when the ones that it came with started to peel/break down.

I have the lightweight version and in a park I don’t even notice it’s on. At only 300 grams it’s gotta be the lightest helmet on the market.

https://www.ridetsg.com/shop/superlight-solid-color/75050-55-129/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2022, 06:03:45 PM »
To skate where I wanna/gotta, sometimes you need one. When you skate like I do, you ought to wear one, probably anytime you’re out of bed.
I’ve got a protec classic certified. Works and fits fine, but the rubbery finish always looks dirty and the liner is getting ratty, and it hasn’t seen that much use. I see protec offers a new (hopefully improved) version of the liner, but my size is out of stock.

So, whaddya got? Whaddy like?

The indoor park I am at is "insurance helmet mandatory", so I stocked up on a lot of the replacement liners, specifically the S One simple liners that come in so many sizes, XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL and maybe more, but they are really good to use as replacements for many brands that have the certified versions.

My Classic version of a Pro Tec is so old it is barely recognisable and I have a new one or two helmets ready to go, but I just like to replace the old liners in that one and keep it going as long as I can.

The Pro Tec sizing changed drastically a while back, so before when an XL was too small, a L is now too big, so I have used a L liner part in the front and a M liner part in the back, which makes it way more comfortable.

Not too long ago when someone was chasing a Full Cut, the best fitting helmet turned out to be a Classic version for the water / wake pro guy Wes Jacobsen, which was curious, but it did the job and was pretty comfortable to wear, unlike a lot of the other full cut helmets that I tried on as well for him.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2022, 07:04:59 PM »
I'm a Pro-Tec Certified Classic Fit Helmet kinda guy. Black metal flake colorway pops in the sunshine.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2022, 07:12:21 PM »
On my second S1 Lifer and am happy with it.  I'm convinced the first one kept me from getting a bad concussion, and I retired it immediately.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2022, 02:06:47 AM »
Triple 8 Certified Sweat Saver which has saved my head before, but I'm thinking about getting a Protec Full Cut Certified just because I think they look neat.
I have a sweat saver too, works great in the hotter months!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2022, 03:03:00 AM »
TSG Dawn Flex Full Cut for skating

Smith Maze for snowboarding

Catlike Whisper for cycling

Honestly, the only one I wear when I should (100% of the time doing the given activity) is the snowboarding one because it's does dual duty of keeping my head warm. I should probably wear the other ones more often.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2022, 07:56:00 AM »
S1 Lifer and Protec Full both certified.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 987
  • the moon rules
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2022, 09:03:09 PM »
I own 4 separate helmets and 3 of them are certified. I’m at the age where if I eat shit too hard then I’m out of work for a while. My pads are reserved for skating big transition. Ill fully pad up if I’m gonna take more than a few runs on something that’s concrete and over head high. I’m pretty sure I get more confidence from suiting up

3 Pro-Tec classic helmets. Matte blue, green flake, and a retired gloss white uncertified helmet that’s been a holdover from my vert phase

Thousand heritage anti-theft bike helmet that looks like an Andy Anderson style helmet. You can put a bike lock through it. I won’t ride on city streets without it where I live

Make sure to measure your head with a flexible tape measure. Different brands sizing isn’t always transferable. A large in one brand may fit like a medium from another. If you do manage to hit your head hard enough while wearing the helmet then you should retire that particular helmet. It’ll never be the same and may not work as intended next time
fuck you bama

Frank and Fred

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2022, 09:30:16 AM »
TSG Dawn Flex Full Cut for skating

I have one of those also. Pretty rad concept the way they built in flexibility to a full cut certified.

Post your kooky helmet photos up people. Let's get secure with our lids.

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2022, 02:27:32 PM »
https://www.bellhelmets.com/bike/p/local-bmx-helmet/100000000600000020.html

This one sits the lowest on your head while still being certified (tsg superlight does this as well but is more difficult to find). cover that bell logo on the front with a sticker and your good to go.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2022, 12:50:18 AM »
All heads are shaped different. Helmets all fit different. What works for me, might be a horrible fit for you. Triple 8 and Pro-Tec fit me horribly. The Bell Local feels like I am wearing my baseball hat. If I am in a situation where the helmet comes out, the Bell is my absolute favorite (haven't tried S1 yet). Whatever you get, however, just make sure it is certified. 
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre