Author Topic: SOBRIETY  (Read 49183 times)

Blind Fisherman

Re: SOBRIETY
« Reply #390 on: October 17, 2022, 10:40:37 AM »
Hit nine months free from alcohol yesterday. Couldn't be happier with my decision. Feeling in control of myself and my actions and never having to worry about what was said or done the night prior is a huge relief.
Big ups to anyone on here getting sober or maintaining.

sacking rails

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #391 on: October 18, 2022, 04:26:39 AM »
im trying i feel like i can do it #day5noalcohol

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
  • old and in the way
« Reply #392 on: October 18, 2022, 09:20:10 AM »

Please don’t troll in this thread

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #393 on: October 18, 2022, 06:44:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

lmao seriously?? ive struggled for a long time and im trying to better my quality of life why jump to conclusions just because you dont like what i post. use ignore.... i have it on for you now ;)

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1401
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #394 on: October 18, 2022, 07:23:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #395 on: October 19, 2022, 12:12:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
lmao seriously?? ive struggled for a long time and im trying to better my quality of life why jump to conclusions just because you dont like what i post. use ignore.... i have it on for you now ;)

I know you are a prolific shitposter with a join date similar to mine, but I don't doubt you're trying and know what it's like, especially when you commented on my obvious alcoholic lunch post the other day. I could post a bunch of insane shit as to why I drink and why I drink as much as I do but despite my personal text thing I do sometimes like to keep things to myself. It's hard lately though cause I don't have a friend in the world and try to absorb the problems of my troubled partner while being a stay-at-home dad with 2 difficult kids, 3 and 6 going on 7. I don't even know what the fuck the point of this worthless post is but I'd rather post in a sobriety thread than wooo bump when drunk thread.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #396 on: October 19, 2022, 01:30:41 PM »
@sacking rails you should reread what @Steely Daniel said, he was giving you some kind words not berating you...

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3337
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #397 on: October 19, 2022, 01:33:10 PM »
@sacking rails you should reread what @Steely Daniel said, he was giving you some kind words not berating you...

Yeah that was a bit odd. But it did remind me of the "Ignore" button and now I remember how to use it!

Anyway, just sending some friendly and supportive vibes 'n' props 'n' all that to those of you doing the sober thing.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #398 on: October 19, 2022, 01:35:53 PM »
Oh cool so you're a fucking kook asshole for no reason when I'm trying to communicate with a human being. Enraged paragraph?! Fuck you I'll show you an enraged paragraph. Why do I even try. I hope you fucking fail and die of cirrhosis you useless fucking cunt.

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #399 on: October 19, 2022, 01:36:51 PM »
damn i just re read it and was about to say sorry lol my bad dude just a mis understanding. wish you the best obviously as you can see i have issues.

m path

• Rep: -51
« Reply #400 on: October 19, 2022, 03:15:52 PM »
 I had to quit weed (my job includes tests) so I get pretty high on  mushrooms now most of the week.  Alcohol does nothing for me thank goodness.  The gear is a thing but thankfully I can't do it when I'm on mushrooms so that keeps me from doing that too much.   I guess I'm contributing to say that I've met others who've said that mushrooms help them from doing too much of other substances that are more harmful.  I'm sure that non sober people are reading this thread.  Acid is good too.  No hangovers with Acid or mushrooms. -Just do them earlier in the day so it doesn't mess with your sleep routine.
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #401 on: October 20, 2022, 07:10:15 AM »
i was having weird panic attacks when I would smoke before bed.  Smoked everyday for 10 years and never had an issue.  Got so fed up I just quit cold turkey.  Haven't smoked in 60 days and won't touch the shit for who knows how long.  Not worth it. 

Now I'm drinking more so I need to figure that shit out

Blind Fisherman

« Reply #402 on: December 17, 2022, 01:04:35 PM »
Just hit 11 months sober from alcohol yesterday. First time in two years that I've been sober during the holidays, and I now understand why people end up taking their own lives during the holidays. I'm not going to harm myself, but this season is wearing me thin.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #403 on: December 18, 2022, 07:47:36 AM »
Yo @Blind Fisherman congrats on 11 months! that’s def something to be proud of. As you said, the holidays can be trying… from coming together with dysfunctional family and all other stresses. its tough but try to keep in mind the progress you’ve made and how your life has improved(I imagine?) since you cut out the sauce…

try to keep up healthy habits like skating/exercising to keep your mind clear

feel free to DM if you need to chat

Scholesey

• Rep: 24
« Reply #404 on: December 18, 2022, 07:50:49 AM »
I did 2 years but I drink again.

It’s nice to step away and regain some perspective you might have lost growing up getting high and drunk all the time

Same here, true words.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #405 on: December 18, 2022, 01:53:31 PM »
Hey Pals.  I have a real problem with alcohol.  I started this thread last year around this time...

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=119917.0

I drank the first day of February and have continued to have usually at least 6 strong craft beers for the most part, sometimes 9-12.

Want to talk about this more when I'm less fucked up, but I am quitting January 1st.  Feel free to check in on the thread if you're planning on doing Dry January as well.  Lots of changes this year.  Lost having a third person chip in for rent and utilities.  Haven't overdrafted my account yet, but I need to straight up save some money.  I probably spend at least $600 a month on fancy beer and yellow American Spirits.  Time to get it!

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #406 on: December 18, 2022, 04:00:11 PM »
A week I think
Massive reduction on hooter, too
Got a cig now but I'm claiming end of days on the cigs by end of this week hopefully earlier
.you guys are killing it!
listen to cosmic psychos

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #407 on: December 18, 2022, 04:57:17 PM »
Hey Pals.  I have a real problem with alcohol.  I started this thread last year around this time...

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=119917.0

I drank the first day of February and have continued to have usually at least 6 strong craft beers for the most part, sometimes 9-12.

Want to talk about this more when I'm less fucked up, but I am quitting January 1st.  Feel free to check in on the thread if you're planning on doing Dry January as well.  Lots of changes this year.  Lost having a third person chip in for rent and utilities.  Haven't overdrafted my account yet, but I need to straight up save some money.  I probably spend at least $600 a month on fancy beer and yellow American Spirits.  Time to get it!

One day at a time & have supports. Sobriety is hard & you'll need more motivation than saving money. Maybe have 1-3 people you can call/meet up with when you start to get the urge. Hit AA meetings. Any other hobbies besides skating?

I am 6 months of no alcohol. Was letting it get a tad wild & just did not stop. No consequences other than rapid anxiety & some obsessions/rumination. I say that because I know it can be a lot worse for people. Point being, stopping & going to no alcohol was great. I do drink NA beers & they do the job. They taste good, I pair them with an evening of records, reading or painting.

jamersonbass

« Reply #408 on: January 02, 2023, 06:46:31 PM »
Anybody give up the drink for January?  I'm on day 2, and know I'm in for some challenges after a shitty day at work or life happening in general, but I was relieved that I haven't been shaky or sweaty so far.  Fingers crossed.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 385
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #409 on: January 02, 2023, 07:48:07 PM »
Anybody give up the drink for January?  I'm on day 2, and know I'm in for some challenges after a shitty day at work or life happening in general, but I was relieved that I haven't been shaky or sweaty so far.  Fingers crossed.

If you aren't absolutely miserable on day 2, you are probably good.  I'd like to post some of this stuff though, just because it's often overlooked.  Alot of AA teetotal communities would scorn me for suggesting someone detoxing to drink a little bit to avoid the dangers of alcohol withdrawal.

If you are drinking 10+ units a day, or are spending days at a time without your BAC dropping to .00, you should consider tapering.  Basically, have an idea of how much you drink a day and cut your consumption by a few units a day.  Or drink just enough, so that you can function without being absolutely miserable.  The real dangers of seizures come in around the day 3-4 mark, which is when people usually start to feel better.  If you start hearing or seeing shit, get some alcohol in you.  If your heart starts pounding uncontrollably 120+ bpm, get alcohol/get to the hospital asap.

If you drink alot, I'd suggest taking a B complex vitamin everyday.  Alcohol depletes your body of B vitamins, specifically B-1.  It's not good for you, and long term can cause wet brain.  If you know an old alcoholic that kinda isn't there anymore, repeats themselves, that's wet brain.  I'd also suggest a magnesium supplement before bed.  Alcohol depletes magnesium and a supplement can help a little bit with the anxiety and to also get a solid shit out.

https://hams.cc/withdrawal/
https://hams.cc/odds/

jamersonbass

« Reply #410 on: January 06, 2023, 07:35:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you aren't absolutely miserable on day 2, you are probably good.  I'd like to post some of this stuff though, just because it's often overlooked.  Alot of AA teetotal communities would scorn me for suggesting someone detoxing to drink a little bit to avoid the dangers of alcohol withdrawal.

If you are drinking 10+ units a day, or are spending days at a time without your BAC dropping to .00, you should consider tapering.  Basically, have an idea of how much you drink a day and cut your consumption by a few units a day.  Or drink just enough, so that you can function without being absolutely miserable.  The real dangers of seizures come in around the day 3-4 mark, which is when people usually start to feel better.  If you start hearing or seeing shit, get some alcohol in you.  If your heart starts pounding uncontrollably 120+ bpm, get alcohol/get to the hospital asap.

If you drink alot, I'd suggest taking a B complex vitamin everyday.  Alcohol depletes your body of B vitamins, specifically B-1.  It's not good for you, and long term can cause wet brain.  If you know an old alcoholic that kinda isn't there anymore, repeats themselves, that's wet brain.  I'd also suggest a magnesium supplement before bed.  Alcohol depletes magnesium and a supplement can help a little bit with the anxiety and to also get a solid shit out.

https://hams.cc/withdrawal/
https://hams.cc/odds/

I appreciate the advice!  Still dry.  I think my biggest issue is that I've seen so many episodes of Intervention, and it's always the MOST extreme version of addiction.  Part of my biggest fear in taking breaks or quitting alcohol in the past is that I'm afraid I won't be able to sleep, which is ironic because the quality of sleep when your buzzed/drunk is so poor...

I did do Dry January last year, and excitedly bought a couple pints the first night of February... not the best sign.  My drinking typically consisted of 64-74 ounces of 7% ABV beers on nights where I worked.  If I had the day off, I would typically drink 4-6 beers in the day, usually starting at 11:30 or noon, "take a nap", wake up and have another 6 beers typically.  Not the best, not the worst.

I'm grateful I haven't had any actual physical effects from drinking.  My main issue right now is that I'm feeling pretty bored at night.  My girl and I have opposite schedules, so while it's been nice watching movies (and remembering the ending to them) but then my girl goes to bed and I'm usually a up a couple hours afterwards.  I'm still consuming cannabis and miss. the crossfade effects, as straight herb hasn't been hitting like it used to. 

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -31
« Reply #411 on: January 07, 2023, 08:52:36 AM »
I was a long time craft beer drinker (never really enjoyed hard alcohol, cocktails, wine, etc). There was a stretch of probably 6 years where I don't remember taking more than a day off drinking, wether I was getting after it, or just having a few.

I quit in June of 2020 (lockdown/furlough) I came to the realization that I was drinking too much and needed to stop. I was driving to the beer store and drinking one on the way home, lying to my wife about how much I was drinking, hiding cans, high blood pressure, etc. I made it 6 months, and then went to Florida for a vacation and had a few beers. I immediately started drinking heavy again, 6-9 strong craft beers a night. Also didn't help that I was working part time at a brewery. Waking up hungover and not motivated to do my job (sales).

I went on a golf trip in late August 2021 with a bunch of friends. I proceeded to drink until I was sick, and play like absolute shit. As of August 22nd 2021, I haven't had a drink, and plan to stay that way.

The birth of my first son in August 2022 only cemented that more. Being present, aware and always ready for whatever needs to be done. You have to WANT to quit drinking. It was very hard at first as all my friends drink, but stay strong. I always had a la croix or kumbucha with me to "feel normal". I can't tell you how much better I feel mentally and physically. I've got a lot more money in the bank (I was spending $300+ a month on fucking BEER) and it's been one of the best decisions I've made in my life.

Stay strong, set goals, and know that it will better your future.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #412 on: January 07, 2023, 10:04:16 AM »
Congratulations on over 2 years now.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #413 on: January 07, 2023, 10:22:13 AM »
my ex girlfriend is on fent percs, i talked to her all night after not really speaking to her in nearly 5 years because my best friend of 20 years od'd on the 28th and didn't make it so i messaged her and told her because she was friends with him too. i served her up a grim reality check that i literally just carried my friends casket and watched them put him in the dirt and kinda just offered her advice and listened to what shes been going through. i feel really bad for her cause she has a kid now.

we kinda had a bad break up and honestly i wasn't her biggest fan but at the end of the day i don't wanna see anything bad happen to her especially since she has a little kid depending on her.

shit sucks
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 10:33:26 AM by Tom Pearl »

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #414 on: January 07, 2023, 10:42:38 AM »
my ex girlfriend is on fent percs, i talked to her all night after not really speaking to her in nearly 5 years because my best friend of 20 years od'd on the 28th and didn't make it so i messaged her and told her because she was friends with him too. i served her up a grim reality check that i literally just carried my friends casket and watched them put him in the dirt and kinda just offered her advice and listened to what shes been going through. i feel really bad for her cause she has a kid now.

we kinda had a bad break up and honestly i wasn't her biggest fan but at the end of the day i don't wanna see anything bad happen to her especially since she has a little kid depending on her.

shit sucks

Sorry about your bro, that sucks mate. Are you and your other mates all good? Never a good time for that but over Xmas is pretty fucked

Forgot to write dates down but it's possible I haven't smoked weed or drank in almost a month. Feel real good for it...'quit' smoking too but I had a few. But I'm not going to have any more
listen to cosmic psychos

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #415 on: January 07, 2023, 10:53:57 AM »
Expand Quote

shit sucks
[close]

Sorry about your bro, that sucks mate. Are you and your other mates all good? Never a good time for that but over Xmas is pretty fucked

Forgot to write dates down but it's possible I haven't smoked weed or drank in almost a month. Feel real good for it...'quit' smoking too but I had a few. But I'm not going to have any more

yeah im good, thanks for asking. appreciate it

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #416 on: January 26, 2023, 12:06:57 AM »
Day 1. Here goes nothing.

Wish I could get my partner to quit. She turns into a whole other person and it's very upsetting. Not to mention all the verbal and physical abuse.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #417 on: January 26, 2023, 04:07:56 AM »
Day 1. Here goes nothing.

Wish I could get my partner to quit. She turns into a whole other person and it's very upsetting. Not to mention all the verbal and physical abuse.

Good decision. This is not going to be easy but you will be surprised how much better your life can get. You even might convince your partner when she sees the benefits sobriety will have on you.

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #418 on: January 26, 2023, 07:43:52 AM »
One of my weed dealers brought it up that he sells Percs and at first I turned him down right away. But recently been going through some tough times and I’ve been very tempted. Just posting here to make sure I don’t go down that route.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #419 on: January 26, 2023, 08:19:18 AM »
I haven't had a drink in 2 years and 7 months. It actually feels really good. I was really struggling with my drinking problem and if I didn't stop it probably would've killed me. I still smoke but I'm trying to cut back on that eventually. Honestly, this is the happiest I've been in a very long time. If anyone ever needs someone to talk to or just going through it - Holler at me in a message.