Author Topic: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"  (Read 119115 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1583
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"
« Reply #360 on: October 21, 2018, 06:20:53 PM »
i just saw it, it's beautiful and honest. if you love and understand skateboarding, you'll be touched by the movie.

but if you wanna continue to act "core" on the internet and yell at 14 year old girls for wearing thrasher, then maybe you won't like it. seems like this latter group of people have more to prove than jonah.

I chilled on yelling at 14 year old girls because some of them can kickflip better than me...

Billy Ocean

• Rep: 30
« Reply #361 on: October 21, 2018, 06:25:33 PM »
Saw it last night.

As someone who was in their teens and skating in the mid 90s, I thought it was great and nailed the era. People hating on Jonah need to chill. Listen to his interviews. He's never claimed to be a ripper, but the filmer kid that couldn't really skate.
"Suck a dick, bitch." - Joey Boy

csb711

• Rep: 2
« Reply #362 on: October 21, 2018, 07:06:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Waiting for somethingisleaking to come through with the PH link.
[close]

yup

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #363 on: October 21, 2018, 08:50:30 PM »
I just watched Jonah on the Breakfast Club. If you don’t back him after that then you’re just a straight up hater and stupid as fuck. He said it perfectly “Jordan is not gonna make make the best basketball movie,it will be some nerd obsessed with him”. Duh you fucks. I’m stoked to see this movie and you haters can eat my asshole. Fuck you. Jonah I’m backing you 100%.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 08:53:25 PM by woodsman »

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #364 on: October 21, 2018, 09:14:36 PM »
I just watched Jonah on the Breakfast Club. If you don’t back him after that then you’re just a straight up hater and stupid as fuck. He said it perfectly “Jordan is not gonna make make the best basketball movie,it will be some nerd obsessed with him”. Duh you fucks. I’m stoked to see this movie and you haters can eat my asshole. Fuck you. Jonah I’m backing you 100%.

Soo.. why should we like the viewpoint of an obsessed nerd? We're jordan, because we tried. No matter how bad we were at skating, we gave it a shot. He didn't. That's why he doesn't get the respect.

I don't give a fuck that he was overweight or not "good".

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1309
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #365 on: October 21, 2018, 09:27:51 PM »
Skaters are such insular and cultural agoraphobes. People who aren't you can have good observations and ideas of a lifestyle you hold so dearly. I'm sure if Spike Jonze released this same exact movie you would give it a pass.

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #366 on: October 21, 2018, 09:46:51 PM »
Skaters are such insular and cultural agoraphobes. People who aren't you can have good observations and ideas of a lifestyle you hold so dearly. I'm sure if Spike Jonze released this same exact movie you would give it a pass.

I'm looking forward to Mid 90s and have no issues with Jonah Hill, but comparing him to Spike Jonze is absolutely ridiculous. Spike was one of the first great photographers. He almost single-handedly made Video Days , widely regarded as the most influntial video of all time. He is co-owner and founder of Girl and Chocolate. He ollied a double set and slid a handrail in his 30s. Spike is one of the most important figures (especially for a non-pro) in the history of skateboarding.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

shripshrapper

« Reply #367 on: October 21, 2018, 09:46:58 PM »

If he want's us to like his movie that's fine. But we don't HAVE to like it.

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #368 on: October 21, 2018, 10:34:10 PM »
the movie felt like they forgot to put the ending in
the acting was surprisingly good besides the lil buzzcut kid
feels like more like a movie about growing up in LA rather than growing up skating

i felt that it wasn't much about growing up in LA but more so trying to find a way to fit in when you were at a young age. i related to most of stevie's problems (other than the self harm stuff, i wish that was explored a bit more) of being the younger brother and getting picked on by your older brother then finding these group of people that you want to try and impress so you do something crazy to get their respect, and once you fit in you just fall into being influenced by them because they like you and you don't want to lose them.

i agree on the film lacking of any ending. their wasn't any real consequences and it seemed rushed, although the scene where he gets revived was really gnarly and the room fell v silent during.

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #369 on: October 21, 2018, 11:32:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Soo.. why should we like the viewpoint of an obsessed nerd? We're jordan, because we tried. No matter how bad we were at skating, we gave it a shot. He didn't. That's why he doesn't get the respect.

Hahaha no "we" (i.e. 99% if not 100% of Slap) sure as shit aren't Jordan.

Riley's dad, Gonz, Mullen etc are Jordan, we are the obsessed nerds. FFS Jordan isn't Jordan because he tried, he's Jordan because he is the GOAT. Jonah did try, he did skate, he gave it his shot, he wasn't that good and thats fine.

Whether you like his viewpoint should be determinant on the viewpoint, not his talent at riding a skateboard, he's not giving you trick tips or pro career advice.

shripshrapper

« Reply #370 on: October 21, 2018, 11:49:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Hahaha no "we" (i.e. 99% if not 100% of Slap) sure as shit aren't Jordan.

Riley's dad, Gonz, Mullen etc are Jordan, we are the obsessed nerds. FFS Jordan isn't Jordan because he tried, he's Jordan because he is the GOAT. Jonah did try, he did skate, he gave it his shot, he wasn't that good and thats fine.

Whether you like his viewpoint should be determinant on the viewpoint, not his talent at riding a skateboard, he's not giving you trick tips or pro career advice.

As if. Jonah didn't try, he would speak of his experience if he gave it the old college try. The value of his viewpoint should absolutely be tied to the effort he put into skating. I suck at skating, but to get where I'm at I've bled and knocked myself out on the pavement.

Jonah didn't try. That's why he doesn't get the respect from some of us.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #371 on: October 22, 2018, 05:36:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm looking forward to Mid 90s and have no issues with Jonah Hill, but comparing him to Spike Jonze is absolutely ridiculous. Spike was one of the first great photographers. He almost single-handedly made Video Days , widely regarded as the most influntial video of all time. He is co-owner and founder of Girl and Chocolate. He ollied a double set and slid a handrail in his 30s. Spike is one of the most important figures (especially for a non-pro) in the history of skateboarding.

Not a fake "sequence" of a Kick flip. It's fine to like Jonah, if you like liars who grease palms for street red.

I know you're on here Jonah, gimme 100 bucks and I'll say I saw you at the courthouse every day watching the pros. Funny though, in those old videos you do see mad groms sitting/skating. Not one was a fat loser with a fro though

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #372 on: October 22, 2018, 07:21:25 AM »
I just don't want to watch an hour and a half of what Jonah Hill wishes his childhood had been like. 

ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

feedmeseymour

« Reply #373 on: October 22, 2018, 08:56:50 AM »

yeah a room full of people that dont skate talking about skating, deff adds to his credibility.

maybe this movie will have like a marvel universe clip at the end after the credits of jonah doing a flatground kickflip ... that would be sick but very unlikely.

shripshrapper

« Reply #374 on: October 22, 2018, 10:03:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah a room full of people that dont skate talking about skating, deff adds to his credibility.

maybe this movie will have like a marvel universe clip at the end after the credits of jonah doing a flatground kickflip ... that would be sick but very unlikely.

Jonah could just have a 5 second clip of him pushing. We would be able to tell.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #375 on: October 22, 2018, 01:38:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If we see that it'll be CGI/green screened

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #376 on: October 22, 2018, 02:20:52 PM »
That Mikey Alfred guy makes my skin crawl.

shripshrapper

« Reply #377 on: October 22, 2018, 04:17:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

If we see that it'll be CGI/green screened

*5 second CGI clip of Jonah pushing*

my god..

shripshrapper

« Reply #378 on: October 22, 2018, 04:18:16 PM »
In case anyone asks.. Yes, I'm a salty, failed hollywood wannabe. So obviously I'm gonna hate on this guy, he can't act for shit!

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #379 on: October 22, 2018, 05:42:45 PM »
In case anyone asks.. Yes, I'm a salty, failed hollywood wannabe. So obviously I'm gonna hate on this guy, he can't act for shit!

That's patently untrue.

Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

do-a-kickflip-mate

« Reply #380 on: October 22, 2018, 05:52:00 PM »
illegal civ...yeah that's already a no from me dawg

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #381 on: October 22, 2018, 05:52:07 PM »
I don't know what to think of it, some aspects are cool, and some aspects are kinda stupid. I'll watch it when its released on pay-per-view.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

wildbillhiccup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
  • JACKASS
« Reply #382 on: October 22, 2018, 07:16:27 PM »
Y’all are trippin this was so good

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #383 on: October 22, 2018, 08:23:45 PM »
Waiting for somethingisleaking to come through with the PH link.

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #384 on: October 22, 2018, 10:34:10 PM »
Someone else's comment that sums up fat boy perfectly.

"Jonah Hill is a rich kid poseur. His dad was the manager of Guns N Roses and he attended a private school where the tuition is 30K a year. He spent his adolescence wearing expensive clothes for husky boys and eating fucking ding dongs."

sk84fun

• Rep: -42
« Reply #385 on: October 22, 2018, 11:41:30 PM »

i've always kinda liked jonah hill's acting but for some reason his skate fandom kinda bothers me. i keep trying to watch these new interviews with him that keep coming out but i cant fucking listen to him talk longer than 5 minutes. i guess him constantly praising everything skateboarding bores the shit out of me. also the whole "atcq were my beatles" thing makes me wanna vomit.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 11:44:46 PM by sk84fun »

Surf-goth

• Rep: -677
« Reply #386 on: October 23, 2018, 04:30:07 AM »
In an interview with him and nakel he kept saying nakel was his friend then asked him if he wrote for illegal civ. He would he not know he rode for FA? I was giving jonah the benefit of the doubt but now I'm convinced this is a farce.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #387 on: October 23, 2018, 06:48:06 AM »
In an interview with him and nakel he kept saying nakel was his friend then asked him if he wrote for illegal civ. He would he not know he rode for FA? I was giving jonah the benefit of the doubt but now I'm convinced this is a farce.

Isn't IC mostly a clothes company so technically he could be on both?

feedmeseymour

« Reply #388 on: October 23, 2018, 07:10:07 AM »

https://youtu.be/nFj7PCuQj7E?t=2046

he hasnt seen them pour piss on the homeless either

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #389 on: October 23, 2018, 07:20:03 AM »
Someone else's comment that sums up fat boy perfectly.

"Jonah Hill is a rich kid poseur. His dad was the manager of Guns N Roses and he attended a private school where the tuition is 30K a year. He spent his adolescence wearing expensive clothes for husky boys and eating fucking ding dongs."

I'm not sure the clothes he wore or the food he ate but his dad was not the manager for anyone. He's a CPA. 
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.