Author Topic: Who else does this? Practices that might benefit your fellow pals.  (Read 2665 times)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1486
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Who else does this? Practices that might benefit your fellow pals.
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2020, 08:39:48 PM »
Has anyone done air layering to make a clone off a rubber plant?

My wife got a rubber plant from her mom and it almost died from frost two years ago. It was basically a stick and a leaf at one point. I took it over and it's four feet tall now so I was trying to figure out the most fool proof way to propagate it.

https://www.joyusgarden.com/rubber-tree-plant/

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2020, 10:11:18 PM »
This guy is the shit. I wanted to build a raised bed a couple months ago, but being cooped up got me down for a bit. Going to get something going soon. I have been watching this guy's channel for a while just because the videos are relaxing and very interesting. Dude is knowledgeable and not annoying as shit, shows you how to grow all kinds of food and all kinds of ways to get started/maintain what you have.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2020, 10:16:31 PM »
I agree. That is one of the few youtubers that are quality content driven. He has introduced me to some really cool ideas with raised beds and he just sounds like a laid back dude with a cool accent.

If my area wasn't overrun by deer, I'd be having an easier go at gardening. I'm still trying to brainstorm the best way to utilize my land without being completely hostile to the deer.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1186
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2020, 02:40:58 AM »
Who else has cat? I've been slow blinking back at my cats for ages (along with trying to perfect my meow/mew). Has anyone else been doing this?

I guess all this time I've been unwittingly telling them I love them.

https://www.catster.com/cat-behavior/cat-slow-blink-meaning

I used to have cat.

You slow blinking and meowing at your cat is pretty fucking adorable bro.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1119
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2020, 10:14:39 PM »
This guy is the shit. I wanted to build a raised bed a couple months ago, but being cooped up got me down for a bit. Going to get something going soon. I have been watching this guy's channel for a while just because the videos are relaxing and very interesting. Dude is knowledgeable and not annoying as shit, shows you how to grow all kinds of food and all kinds of ways to get started/maintain what you have.

I have watched this guy bury so much shit in his backyard over the years. He only fuels my pipe dream more of building an off the grid self-sufficient tiny house village. Complete permaculture operation and a skatepark to boot. Kinda like Skatetopia but without all the rednecks and meth.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2024, 10:25:36 AM »
I wasn’t sure where to post this so I figured this old post of gardening stuff would suffice.

Honeybees had been congregating at my outdoor pee spot in my backyard so I was worried that I had something wrong with my urine. Apparently the bees are just making use of this water source that contains nutrients they need for their diet. If you can help your local pollinators with so little effort, then hook your bee friends out by peeing outside.

https://reviveabee.com/are-bees-attracted-to-urine/

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1405
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2024, 06:19:06 PM »
I wasn’t sure where to post this so I figured this old post of gardening stuff would suffice.

Honeybees had been congregating at my outdoor pee spot in my backyard so I was worried that I had something wrong with my urine. Apparently the bees are just making use of this water source that contains nutrients they need for their diet. If you can help your local pollinators with so little effort, then hook your bee friends out by peeing outside.

https://reviveabee.com/are-bees-attracted-to-urine/

Damn. Bees be luuuuvin me then

Cool knowledge drop, homie!

Ive got 99 things on my plate for the new property this spring/summer, but im really hoping to get a hive.

Things to do

-laundry drying line outta scrap wood
-pressure wash, sand, and paint N and S side of house. Cedar shingles
-reshingle shed
-repair concrete retaining walls
-support load bearing beam at W side of house
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2024, 07:07:23 PM »
I wish you the best of luck in getting those things done.

I’m ready to start constructing some concrete raised beds for my front yard. I think I finally figured out how to keep pesky deer from my garden area.

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 42
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2024, 08:06:05 PM »
I've been walking around in the woods this spring, and it's made me want to have wild flowers in my yard instead of (in addition to?) grass. Thinking violets, spring beauties, bluebells, wood anemone...maybe even mint and oregano.

Anybody done this? I know some of the plants above spread; does that mean they are invasive? Or just low maintenance/flourishing in their habitat (upper midwest)

Any ideas appreciated.
Oh and I definitely mew at every cat I see (and hiss at most dogs.)

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1405
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2024, 05:24:57 AM »
I've been walking around in the woods this spring, and it's made me want to have wild flowers in my yard instead of (in addition to?) grass. Thinking violets, spring beauties, bluebells, wood anemone...maybe even mint and oregano.

Anybody done this? I know some of the plants above spread; does that mean they are invasive? Or just low maintenance/flourishing in their habitat (upper midwest)

Any ideas appreciated.
Oh and I definitely mew at every cat I see (and hiss at most dogs.)

It might be helpful to learn what plants are “native” to your area. A greater symbiotic relationship between the natural ecosystem will occur, increased biodiversity down into the dirt as well!
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2024, 05:39:59 AM »
My garden/ veggies patch/ permaculture set-up is a minimum 10 year project, I’m currently in year 3! Where I live the soil is really rocky so we dug it all up and made raised beds from the rocks. Still a long ways to go though. Weeds are the fucking bane of my existence, maybe if I was out in the garden 5-6 hours a day I could keep them under control …

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year