Author Topic: What's up with trick of the year?  (Read 4839 times)

formula420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
Re: What's up with trick of the year?
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2023, 11:28:26 AM »
Kf 5050 staples footy finally dropped. Idk if thats the winner. Theres no clear front runner trick this year. Would have said fakie flip but no footy yet.

lurkluke

• Rep: 190
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2023, 11:58:26 AM »
TJs giant switch 180
Yuto's enders
About five of those ledge combos from Tiago Lopes

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 113
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2023, 01:03:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Fakie flip Wallenberg is definitely a top Trick of the year but has the footy even dropped yet? Just gonna show the contents photo out of Thrasher? I’d personally go with Antonio Switch 360 flip noseblunt.
[close]
Ooh thanks for the set up. Tony's switch tre noseblunt was a Thrasher cover this year and the footage dropped so it counts this year. If you look at the board he's riding in the clip, I'm pretty sure it's his first pro model on Numbers. So that clip is probably a couple of years old and the photo was another session but he dropped it all this year so it counts.

Photo and clip is within a few days of each other....both this year..he talks about it in his thrasher interview. his riding skate mental boards both times

SquintinTarantino

• Rep: 28
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2023, 02:08:12 PM »
Has the footy of the Wallenburg fakie flip been released yet? 

That KF 50-50 down Staples was pretty crazy. I'd put that as a frontrunner for TOTY

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1345
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2023, 02:48:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fakie flip Wallenberg is definitely a top Trick of the year but has the footy even dropped yet? Just gonna show the contents photo out of Thrasher? I’d personally go with Antonio Switch 360 flip noseblunt.
[close]
Ooh thanks for the set up. Tony's switch tre noseblunt was a Thrasher cover this year and the footage dropped so it counts this year. If you look at the board he's riding in the clip, I'm pretty sure it's his first pro model on Numbers. So that clip is probably a couple of years old and the photo was another session but he dropped it all this year so it counts.

[close]

Photo and clip is within a few days of each other....both this year..he talks about it in his thrasher interview. his riding skate mental boards both times
Oh good to know. I saw the photo months ago but just saw the clip and coulda sworn it was that melty smiley face burning world graphic on his first pro board.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 734
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2023, 03:58:13 PM »
Only one mention of Walker Ryan’s switch blizzard flip? That was on another level.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2023, 06:56:19 PM »
Finalists posted. I like Antonio, Penton or Walker.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1YUwvrrK2M/?igsh=MXM4M3Niamw3Z2Rocw==

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -460
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2023, 07:38:07 PM »
Only one mention of Walker Ryan’s switch blizzard flip? That was on another level.
no 9 stair is TOTY (I say while thinking durao’s sw Tre noseblunt down a long 5/6 should win).

Durao, kf 50-50 staples, or yuto’s nollie 270 heel board

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2023, 09:10:35 PM »

I would say yes but Mike Arnold did this across the London street gap. Way gnarlier.

I'm with Durao for the switch tre noseblunt

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2023, 10:40:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would say yes but Mike Arnold did this across the London street gap. Way gnarlier.

i don’t know man, it’s a lot safer to just do it across a flat gap. you can slowly edge your way towards spinning more as you keep trying it. just throwing it down a set has to be terrifying, especially the first few tries.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

OwlGreen

• Rep: -128
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2023, 01:37:07 AM »
Finalists posted. I like Antonio, Penton or Walker.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1YUwvrrK2M/?igsh=MXM4M3Niamw3Z2Rocw==

From these I'll take nollie 3 heel board. Out of the box trick, perfect execution, decent filming, even. It's a gem of a clip. Switch tre noseblunt landing was a tiny bit sketch. Kind of heel touched. If it was bolts I'd give it to him. I admit I'm thinking more in terms of clip of the year than trick or the year. Won't surprise me if they give it to Sheckler. I hate the trick but it's gutsy and he battled it. And he's pretty connected to Dyrdek. In my mind the only way fakie flip the 'berg isn't toty is if Thrasher ran a bail.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2023, 06:27:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
i don’t know man, it’s a lot safer to just do it across a flat gap. you can slowly edge your way towards spinning more as you keep trying it. just throwing it down a set has to be terrifying, especially the first few tries.

I do hear you but I've also heard of people only learning how to bs 360 after taking it to a stair set to get the extra time for rotation.  I also have a personal bias here cause it took everything in me to ollie that same street gap (I'm not good)

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 78
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2023, 06:39:24 AM »
surprised to not see either of O'Grady's bangers from this year make it into the finalists (ollie into the bank in Croatia in 7 Ball and the gap crook in France in his Pass Port part). despite being a bit of a slow year for the SOTY race, it was a pretty strong year for individual clips tbh. i'd be happy with Walker, Antonio, Yuto's nollie 270 heel board (nollie late flip noseslide is a cursed clip), or honestly Carlos' switch crook the double set rail is pretty fucked.

SquintinTarantino

• Rep: 28
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2023, 07:18:49 AM »
I thought Pedro would get at least one clip as a finalist.  The gap 50-50 at the pyramid ledges and the 180 flip switch hill bomb were both sick.

double fakie ollie grind

• Rep: 4
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2023, 08:38:06 PM »
Would be kind of sick if kf 5050 staples dude won since he’s a relative unknown. Personally my picks would be Antonio or Walker, but many of my favorite tricks this year were not ‘finalists.’

sizzle_chest

• Rep: -12
  • Kookin' Ain't Easy
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2023, 08:53:08 PM »
nollie tre hydrant only trick matter

OwlGreen

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2023, 06:39:00 AM »
I realize I am biased against a a trick down a plain Jane set of stairs which isn't at least a 13. Like if Walker's trick was down a 3 flat 3 I would be much more sympathetic to it. Or even a 3-5 with a sidewalk gap. It's not logical, but I always read anything between about 6 and 12 as basically the same quantity.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 406
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2023, 09:42:07 AM »

Sounds like there’s a primitive video coming in February so he most likely would’ve rather saved the footage for his part instead of just hoping to win TOTY. Which I respect.

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2023, 09:50:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sounds like there’s a primitive video coming in February so he most likely would’ve rather saved the footage for his part instead of just hoping to win TOTY. Which I respect.

Definitely respectable. Everyone doesn’t seem to understand that it’s only been shown as a photo. You’d think trick of the year would have footy that’s already been dropped. I understand it’s hard to keep up with all the footy these days. That trick however will probably be shared and posted all over social media and here though.

Banned from the room

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2023, 12:40:08 PM »
I forgotten about that kid Brandon Johnson cuz it happened so early and I been thinking about that stairs line from the same saying think.

He did that so sick Im not 100 on what to call it

Switch tail  FS 270 late flip out or something?

I remember watching it on the Plowell tour videos on Dan's channel. Also the stairs line.

That's my vote. That kids going places I think. The other crazy tech kid too. I'm pretty sure he also lives in the city

mareo

• Rep: -342
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2023, 09:41:30 PM »
nollie tre hydrant only trick matter

Facts

Quote from: I sniff my own butthole all the time
2nd vote would be for PJ. sometimes it is a fine command of the english language to say nothing and he extended that to skating. PJ's plan B part is the emperor's new clothes.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2023, 09:58:35 PM »
2023 was a blur, was that ridiculous heelflip from Sage this year?

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 406
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2023, 07:31:33 AM »
2023 was a blur, was that ridiculous heelflip from Sage this year?

TBH you’re gonna need to be more specific in reference to a sage ridiculous heelflip haha

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2023, 04:39:52 PM »
Pretty sure the Sage heelflip was this year from a Cons edit. It was beautiful but not sure I’d put it in the TOTY conversation. Maybe THOTY, tasteful heelflip of the year.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 448
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2023, 08:13:26 PM »
Durao no contest

AllisonChalmers

• Rep: -41
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2023, 11:54:57 PM »
Pretty sure the Sage heelflip was this year from a Cons edit. It was beautiful but not sure I’d put it in the TOTY conversation. Maybe THOTY, tasteful heelflip of the year.

The magical one from the Jake / Curren FA welcome video? I would back that over walkeryan's mob ass switch blizzard down a small 9 any day. I think it's between Jackey O's cover ollie or Yuto's nollie fs 270 to switch back tail on that large rail. Life or death that's probably the last thing on the list I would try.

AllisonChalmers

• Rep: -41
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2023, 12:09:06 AM »
I get a kick out people referring to Pedro's 'Backside 180 Kickflip to Switch Hill Bomb Baxter' as if the bs flip somehow added to the intensity or difficulty of the trick. Maybe it's because switch hill bomb isn't really even a 'trick' by itself?

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65239
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2023, 12:15:57 AM »
G-Shock sponsored "line of the year" and forked out 1000 bucks for the winner.

G-Shock is owned by Casio, a company with a yearly revenue of about 2 billion dollars.

What a fucking joke.

OwlGreen

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2023, 03:31:36 AM »
I get a kick out people referring to Pedro's 'Backside 180 Kickflip to Switch Hill Bomb Baxter' as if the bs flip somehow added to the intensity or difficulty of the trick. Maybe it's because switch hill bomb isn't really even a 'trick' by itself?

It's a smart way to set it up. It's also an objectively nice backside flip. I would also take a nollie back heel.

I rewatched the KF 50. Back truck definitely lost contact for second. Be a shame to give it Toty considering that. I think Yuto has it wrapped up with the Japan clip.

Shtonk

• Rep: -438
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2023, 03:43:26 AM »
Those finalists selection is so whack. Yuto twice? Walker Ryan's mob ass bullshit? Trick of the Year is Cyrus Bennett's philly bump fs flip what are we even talking about here?!