Author Topic: Now's the time to support your local or skater owned shops  (Read 2478 times)

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

Now's the time to support your local or skater owned shops
« on: March 21, 2020, 10:04:14 AM »
Fuck the big online players. The little dudes are really going to struggle as they shut shop. Pay a bit extra. Fuck sales.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Now's the time to support your local or skater owned shops
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 10:20:20 AM »
wow you have money?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

legion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 10:51:56 AM »
Mail order and risk spreading contagion? Mood here is way different than UWTB..
And how many places can still ship? Anything in Cali should be shutdown or working on the sly.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 10:55:24 AM »
wow you have money?

Not really. But I will gladly pay a few dollars extra to support the local as opposed to CCS right now. Some local shops are taking great precautions with sanitation and delivery. Support them.

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 10:58:37 AM »
Idk last 2 times I went they cool guy'd me pretty hard
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 11:10:52 AM »
Shame about that. Do what you got to do. Buy a Walmart board?

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 11:17:51 AM »
Expand Quote
wow you have money?
[close]

Not really. But I will gladly pay a few dollars extra to support the local as opposed to CCS right now. Some local shops are taking great precautions with sanitation and delivery. Support them.
no joke, fuck these online shops and the corporations that run/own them. recent events have really turned me off from buying from anywhere but my local if they have what i need in stock. kills me to see the shop guys struggling too because they have been the best to me in the short time of knowing them and run a great shop with huge potential.

i would give them my money for skate stuff in a heartbeat, but the epidemic has slowed down both the skate industry and my own. really hope they make it through the storm though, i dont not fuck with labor like tenant at all dead vibes at labor :(
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 12:00:25 PM by off »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 11:26:34 AM »
Idk last 2 times I went they cool guy'd me pretty hard
Skate shops with shitty vibes are so fucking discouraging.

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 11:28:31 AM »
Thanks for posting this. This whole thing is really going to hit skate shops hard. It's cool to see that a lot of them are still selling online with free shipping or offering curb side pick up. Even just getting a tee or gift card could really help out your local shop.

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 01:51:43 PM »
Wow
We got ppl in UWTB going off on others for skating right now. And then we got ppl on here saying we should be mail ordering more stuff..
Now I'm still out there skating but I said no to ordering anything after than oldfolks home in Seattle went on lockdown.
24hrs on cardboard..
72hrs on hard surfaces..
Use gloves..
Don't even bring the box inside..
Remove everything and wipe down, disinfect..
Shoes? I'd be wiping them down, and the shoe box, and even thinking about throwing away the box..
Does it seem like a good idea to be mail order stuff right now?? I get helping our industry and all..

Coffee

• Rep: 40
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 01:55:20 PM »
My local doesn’t have the best shoe selection but I’m going to bite the bullet and get a pair from them just to do my part. I just have to drive 45 minutes to get to the shop first.

BL0B

• Rep: 416
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 01:58:18 PM »

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 03:30:22 PM »
I usually prefer shops mainly so i can actually see the sizes and shapes of the boards. I hate receiving boards i end up not liking for those reasons.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 04:04:35 PM »

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 642
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2020, 04:35:11 PM »
I need a new pair of shoes soon... what are good skate shops that I could order from?

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -389
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2020, 05:08:09 PM »
there is one really cool shop where I live with nice owner.. but there is no decks wider than 8.5 there ,wheels bigger than 54, trucks bigger than ace 44 or indy . always feel bad when I post some new gear on insta.

I tried.
9/11 was a national tragedy

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 05:10:20 PM »
Thanks for posting this. This whole thing is really going to hit skate shops hard. It's cool to see that a lot of them are still selling online with free shipping or offering curb side pick up. Even just getting a tee or gift card could really help out your local shop.
Are you guys going to stop selling at mall stores?

SlapTM

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 05:19:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
We don't sell to a lot of mall stores. Maybe some Zumiez and that's about it. For the most part, we mostly sell to core shops. If you're trying to take a dig at us for selling to noncore shops then you need to realize every single brand has to sell to mall stores in order to survive. We do a lot for our core and skater owned shops.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2020, 05:27:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
We don't sell to a lot of mall stores. Maybe some Zumiez and that's about it. For the most part, we mostly sell to core shops. If you're trying to take a dig at us for selling to noncore shops then you need to realize every single brand has to sell to mall stores in order to survive. We do a lot for our core and skater owned shops.
I get it, you guys have bills to pay. So do I, and I shouldn’t be guilted for shopping at skate warehouse or buying $15 wino slip one from Zumiez.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 05:30:56 PM »
Interesting to get Kooked for suggesting we support local shops. Anyway, all I am saying is local businesses (not just skate shops) are really hurting. Many will not survive. I'm not suggesting consume for the sake of it and I'm not suggesting the sessions continue as normal but consider where you want your dollars to go. Consider who you want to survive this mess, economically...

SlapTM

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2020, 05:36:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
I get it, you guys have bills to pay. So do I, and I shouldn’t be guilted for shopping at skate warehouse or buying $15 wino slip one from Zumiez.
No one is giving you shit for shopping at Skate Warehouse. They have an actual skate shop at their HQ and is ran by skaters so I back it. You came into this thread where we were talking about supporting local shops with everything going on. A good deal is good deal and I get it. In my opinion, I'm more talking about if you're looking to buy something buy it from a core shop first if that's possible. A lot of shops are offering free shipping with orders and if your local shop is closed there's still a way to support other shops. Zumiez will be around after this epidemic. Some core shops may not. No one is forcing you to do anything so it's totally up to you.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2020, 05:39:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

The guilt is up to  you. If you don't feel guilty don't worry about it.

OldGrayandMongo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2020, 06:47:52 PM »
In case folks missed this thread here are some options to support

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=109056

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2020, 09:54:54 AM »
Werd up.

I don't got a bank card or anything like that.

Rn this is the best I can do. I put them everywhere.

via Imgflip Meme Generator
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 09:57:28 AM by Banned from the room »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1005
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2020, 11:02:38 AM »
Now is always the time.

However, I want what I want and if the local doesn't have it (no, I don't want Indys Mr. Shop dude from the 70s) I'll go online.

Thankfully, my OCD has me in gear enough to last a while (which also means skating shit I don't care for but would if that's all I had).

We're shutdown in CA/LA - my local isn't an essential business, contrary to what any skater would tell you ;)

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2020, 12:46:22 PM »
To CCS's credit that are helping a smaller local shop/ park. If you order from them type "STRONGER' as a coupon code and some proceeds will go to Stronger Skatepark/ Shop. Not sure how much they are donating but kudos for this gesture.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1939
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2020, 06:30:54 PM »
The guys at Socal skateshop have been really good running a 15% store wide sale. I initially purchased some wheels off them but emailed them to cancel the wheels, I'll get them from my local shop instead. The shop has an abysmal product selection - nothing but longboards and Powell pro and mini logo boards. But I've been going there since my first setup and paying the $5 extra to help them out is the least I could do.

Expand Quote

tornado boards for sale

https://hunt-supply-co.mybigcommerce.com
[close]
those slave big boys 👀👀

Hot Chocolate and Bam decks, that is some back catalog
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 06:38:37 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

BL0B

• Rep: 416
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2020, 07:09:38 PM »

tornado boards for sale

https://hunt-supply-co.mybigcommerce.com

Hot Chocolate and Bam decks, that is some back catalog

you know they were wiped out by a tornado?

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2020, 01:22:28 PM »
if dlxsf is reading can you guys do another run of the REAL oval with shop names?  id like to cop one from my local

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2020, 01:59:01 PM »
Most local shops doing free shipping in region which is a solid move.