Author Topic: 2024 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 47555 times)

apport

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
Re: 2024 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2024, 09:50:42 AM »
I wish it snowed this winter
i had to snowblow/shovel my driveway like every other day last winter, i'm cool with no snow

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -460
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2024, 10:59:37 AM »
I think the 80s comeback happened, now the 90s, I think we’re looking at the 00s coming back in style this year or next.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 252
  • often correct
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2024, 12:03:04 PM »
the prefab skatepark's role in the general skateboarding ecosystem needs to be re-evaluated.

i'm convinced almost all of the skatepark construction talking points from the last few decades stem from the grindline/dreamland school of design, primarily consisting of a bunch of guys who probably haven't ollied into a 50-50 in a decade railing against basic obstacles your average skater is interested in, in favor of massive overwrought concrete parks.

there's absolutely nothing wrong with a skatepark consisting of a few well-built and well-spaced ledges and flatbars that you can throw down and push towards, rather than having to pump through a massive park and plan out a run to skate something.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1099
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2024, 12:28:23 PM »
the prefab skatepark's role in the general skateboarding ecosystem needs to be re-evaluated.

i'm convinced almost all of the skatepark construction talking points from the last few decades stem from the grindline/dreamland school of design, primarily consisting of a bunch of guys who probably haven't ollied into a 50-50 in a decade railing against basic obstacles your average skater is interested in, in favor of massive overwrought concrete parks.

there's absolutely nothing wrong with a skatepark consisting of a few well-built and well-spaced ledges and flatbars that you can throw down and push towards, rather than having to pump through a massive park and plan out a run to skate something.

convincing a town they need an Olympic park for their kids is easier than convincing them they need a tennis court with a mini ramp, ledge and fun box, for mostly 20 somethings to hang out at after work

Ignatius J Reilly

• often correct
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2024, 12:31:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

convincing a town they need an Olympic park for their kids is easier than convincing them they need a tennis court with a mini ramp, ledge and fun box, for mostly 20 somethings to hang out at after work
or convincing a city council that the more impressive a ramp looks, the bigger their return on investment

djoekr

• Rep: 313
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2024, 01:38:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Can instagram drop dead
[close]

They went crazy with the ads in 2024. Not the sign of a healthy platform.

YouTube been at it as well. The amount of ads nowadays is making it seem more and more like cable television. They also ditched the cheap Premium Lite so you're either forced to pay extra for options you're never gonna use or you just have to swallow YTs ad-system. I mostly use it from my PS5 so I can't install any adblockers. If there would be any decent alternative, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2024, 01:43:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can instagram drop dead
[close]

[close]

YouTube been at it as well. The amount of ads nowadays is making it seem more and more like cable television. They also ditched the cheap Premium Lite so you're either forced to pay extra for options you're never gonna use or you just have to swallow YTs ad-system. I mostly use it from my PS5 so I can't install any adblockers. If there would be any decent alternative, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

I switched entirely to Brave because of YouTube ads.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

burntout

• Rep: -46
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2024, 02:16:31 PM »
Can instagram drop dead

Can’t stand instagram anymore.
That whole platform now is 🤢 🤮

prisoner223

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2024, 03:43:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can instagram drop dead
[close]

[close]

[close]

I was using Brave and YouTube's new system of detecting ad block meant I couldn't use it anymore. Is there a way to get past this?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2024, 03:58:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can instagram drop dead
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
I was using Brave and YouTube's new system of detecting ad block meant I couldn't use it anymore. Is there a way to get past this?

I don't know, I didn't have that problem at all. I use Brave across Linux, Windows and MacOS, and it works with YouTube on all of them.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2024, 04:14:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Can instagram drop dead
[close]

Can’t stand instagram anymore.
That whole platform now is 🤢 🤮

I got off instagram last June and I have to say that my mental health and meaningful friendships are better than they've ever been. one of the reasons I was on it in the first place was for all the skate footage, but now you have youtube channels who aggregate footage from all the pros instagram accounts and stories.

everyone says, "oh, I have to use social media to stay in touch with my friends and family." thats total bullshit. if they're really your friends you will stay in touch with them without social media.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 05:09:37 PM by fineslime »

herecomesaregular

• Rep: 5
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2024, 04:20:58 PM »
I think the 80s comeback happened, now the 90s, I think we’re looking at the 00s coming back in style this year or next.

I think you’re in both the wrong thread and the wrong year.

You’re thinking of the trend watch thread, and 2000s throwback has BEEN in.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2024, 04:57:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can instagram drop dead
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I personally have not run into this problem and I use Brave exclusively. Try checking this article out:

https://community.brave.com/t/psa-youtube-adblock-detection/510337

They recommend keeping it up to date and clearing your cache/cookies after the update. There are also some good recommendations in the comment section as well. Hope this helps.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • sup dog
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2024, 06:37:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can instagram drop dead
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I personally have not run into this problem and I use Brave exclusively. Try checking this article out:

They recommend keeping it up to date and clearing your cache/cookies after the update. There are also some good recommendations in the comment section as well. Hope this helps.
Sick thanks.
Brave for the win. Me too.

The other thing that started happening on mobile YouTube site through brave is that I’m getting 1080, 1440, and higher when offered on videos! Before it was always limited to 720.

Also, Picture in Picture works on mobile as well by default AFTER putting the video to full screen. Just swipe up/go home and the PiP is working.

But I’m very leery these good days will last, because YouTube always finds some way to nerf it.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 213
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2024, 08:42:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think you’re in both the wrong thread and the wrong year.

You’re thinking of the trend watch thread, and 2000s throwback has BEEN in.

Yeah, 2000s has been quite aggressively happening for longer than a little while.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

prisoner223

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2024, 08:52:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can instagram drop dead
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Thank you for this! Didn't know how many more ads I could take

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2024, 09:39:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What’s next a pro who makes a living ollieing garbage cans? 

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2024, 03:31:31 AM »
how do you not pay attention to things this hard

Ignatius J Reilly

• often correct
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2024, 07:04:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
san diego brain

Old SadFat

• Rep: 2
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2024, 07:53:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What’s next a pro who makes a living ollieing garbage cans?

And he shall be an Asian Dude with Long Braided Hair who skates only Venice Beach.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2024, 08:34:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
san diego brain
You’re not wrong

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -460
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2024, 08:49:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
san diego brain
[close]
You’re not wrong
hmm it feels like it’s still more so heavy on the 90s…and to the post above the reason I’m putting it in the unpopular opinions thread is because I doubt the 2000s are super popular on slap.

I guess some of the 90s trends blur more with the 2000s than 80s to 90s

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

steezenking

• Rep: 15
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2024, 12:29:42 PM »
VX footage (or any minidv/non hd footage) is terrible. All VX's should be decommissioned. See you again in 2025

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2024, 12:44:31 PM »
VX footage (or any minidv/non hd footage) is terrible. All VX's should be decommissioned. See you again in 2025

The worst, just dogshit nostalgia. Fortunately, I don't think Zoomers will give a shit about making a video which looks like Baker 2G, so as millennials age out of their time in the skate limelight, I expect that VX will go with them.

Sangriawaterfall

• Rep: 34
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2024, 12:47:25 PM »
I do not want to see people skate to Larry June’s music

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2024, 12:53:46 PM »
Andrew Huberman is sentient LinkedIn.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2024, 01:05:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The worst, just dogshit nostalgia. Fortunately, I don't think Zoomers will give a shit about making a video which looks like Baker 2G, so as millennials age out of their time in the skate limelight, I expect that VX will go with them.

Idk jenkem interviewed a zoomer who was using a chromebook to film. kids will always look for some way to have a different look to things.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2024, 01:09:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Idk jenkem interviewed a zoomer who was using a chromebook to film. kids will always look for some way to have a different look to things.
I’d honestly prefer the Chromebook footy

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2024, 05:08:40 PM »
Tape a fisheye to the chromie

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1973