Author Topic: Soft wheels that slide?  (Read 1984 times)

Daewons front truck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
Soft wheels that slide?
« on: February 07, 2023, 08:57:27 PM »

There is this beautiful, crusty, ledge about 7 minutes from my house that is begging to be skated. The magical skate wizard spent a  good amount of time painting and subsequently waxing it and it is good to go except for one problem.. the roll-up and landing area has some of the foulest, bumpiest, cheese grater like ground and on top of that there is cracks all over. I attempted to skate it using regular 99a 53mm wheels and it's impossible to get any speed whatsoever. So I bought some 56mm 92a gel wheels and that  fixed most of the problem,  now the problem is I can't do noseslides or tailslides at all with the 92a wheels. 50-50, 5-0 variations are no problem and a crooked grind is possible occasionally. So my question to my fellow skaters is are there any soft wheels that can slide?  I would much prefer to slide over sticking and getting launched into the cheese grater ground.

boston_bruins

Re: Soft wheels that slide?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 09:45:38 PM »
George Powell, hit him up

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 09:54:08 PM »
Powell 93a Dragons
BONES X97a

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 11:24:41 PM »
My prototype 90a 52mm dragon wheels that didn't make it to production should fix that for you.
I'm keeping them though, so tough luck.

But seriously, the regular 93a dragons are probably your best bet.

richard00800

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 12:25:16 AM »
few months ago, a friend let me try seismic "oscar" wheels,he said the company was trying to sell these in our area.

they were 83a, more like flimer wheels, soft and slidy,i'd say they slide like dragons. easier to slide than their 95a "FOCUS" model.

but the company seems more focused on longboard category
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 12:40:32 AM by richard00800 »

IpathCats

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 05:02:28 AM »
Bones x97

finecojeffe

• Rep: 128
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 06:57:01 AM »
last thread about this subject I asked about the mini logo 95a wheels...everyone said just get the bones x97a. I ignored that reply and got the mini logo 95a anyway and I'm glad I did. They roll well over rough ground and they slide reasonably well. They were only $24 too. I guess the x97a could be better, but I like the mini logo wheels a lot.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 07:41:17 AM »
last thread about this subject I asked about the mini logo 95a wheels...everyone said just get the bones x97a. I ignored that reply and got the mini logo 95a anyway and I'm glad I did. They roll well over rough ground and they slide reasonably well. They were only $24 too. I guess the x97a could be better, but I like the mini logo wheels a lot.

Yeah sorry to say it but you basically just got the older, worse iteration of the same formula haha. The 95a do work, but the dragon/x formula work a lot better. The only reason I could even conceive of skating my 95a over the others would be if the size/shape combo that wasn't offered by the bones line but since the ML A cut is basically the same as one of the wide bones shapes (v5 maybe?) I don't think that would be an issue now.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 100
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 07:54:15 AM »
Just wanna say I don’t recommend the g slides.  They slide if you put an absurd amount of effort into it, and chunked away for me after a few sessions

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 07:56:14 AM »

I briefly rode the ML 95a over the weekend. I put together a board for my daughter's friend (12) and figured they would be a really good all around wheel for her.   They rolled pretty well on pavement and ok in the park too.  I think they are a great wheel for her.   I skated ML 101s a few years ago and while they were a good wheel, they were not STF/F4 quality and I moved on.   I'm guessing the same with these.  Good wheels (especially for the price), but Dragons/X 97 are great.

My 'crust' is still better than a lot of people's, so I prefer X 97s over Dragons.  OP would probably prefer Dragons for that spot (although X 97s do grind a bit smoother).

As a side, my daughter insists on STF on her park board because they came in the party pack (four different colored wheels).  Any time the kids were riding on pavement she borrowed my setup with Dragons on them.  Fashion over function.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 08:11:45 AM »

There is this beautiful, crusty, ledge about 7 minutes from my house that is begging to be skated. The magical skate wizard spent a  good amount of time painting and subsequently waxing it and it is good to go except for one problem.. the roll-up and landing area has some of the foulest, bumpiest, cheese grater like ground and on top of that there is cracks all over. I attempted to skate it using regular 99a 53mm wheels and it's impossible to get any speed whatsoever. So I bought some 56mm 92a gel wheels and that  fixed most of the problem,  now the problem is I can't do noseslides or tailslides at all with the 92a wheels. 50-50, 5-0 variations are no problem and a crooked grind is possible occasionally. So my question to my fellow skaters is are there any soft wheels that can slide?  I would much prefer to slide over sticking and getting launched into the cheese grater ground.

How did you manage not to hear about dragon wheels over the last year or so? They noseslide great, but you want pinchy grinds as well, get the bones 97a

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2023, 09:48:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How did you manage not to hear about dragon wheels over the last year or so? They noseslide great, but you want pinchy grinds as well, get the bones 97a

They have zero marketing is my guess..hell pros don't even know terms/items they ride so it's pretty easy for genpop to miss something.

Daewons front truck

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2023, 06:21:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Of course I know about the dragon wheel,  I've only been back skating for a few months (years off from multiple surgeries and my wife gave birth to our son.) And I still see YouTube videos about them. I was not impressed with them honestly, they were the second set of wheels I purchased after picking up the board again. They didn't slide any better than some 95a rictas I picked up. I haven't heard of the bones 97a though however and it sounds like what I need to procure. Although I'm curious about the mini logo wheels another poster had mentioned.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2023, 06:48:25 PM »
Very surprised to not see Spitfire F4 97 suggested yet. I haven’t noticed any difference when it comes to sliding, but they’re definitely that little bit grippier when you need them. Perfect wheel IMO.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 09:01:47 AM »
BONES X97 (or just about anything) > Mini Logo, especially since you've skate before; ML are a great 'first wheel' for noobs/kids.

As a 'soft wheel' the dragons/x97s slide better than anything you can get under 99a, from anyone...yes, even those other 97a sure they slide, just not as well; anyone who says different, hasn't bothered to try the x97s.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 05:10:19 PM by Xen »

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2023, 09:25:13 AM »
The Spitfire Radial Fulls in 56mm 97A are real crust killers too. But they are massiv.. At least In my view.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2240
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2023, 02:34:05 PM »
I too love the F4 97s.
Was hooked up w/ some coni fulls in 56mm & they roll over just about anything.
I miss the easy slide of the 99du when I’m on these, but damn… they will roll!
Frankly, they feel so much nicer over crust, compared to the 99s in the same shape/size that they’ve got me thinking they’re actually more of a 95a or sumpin’. That is to say: the difference in feel (& slide) almost seems disproportionate to the small durometer difference of two points.
Fuck me, I don’t know!
What I do know is I really like these F4 97s for crustier stuff.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Daewons front truck

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2023, 04:55:36 PM »
BONES X97 (or just about anything) > Mini Logo, especially since you've skate before; ML are a great 'first wheel' for noobs/kids.

As a 'soft wheel' the dragons/x97s slide better than anything you can get under 99a, from anyone...yes, even those other 97a sure they slide, just not as well; anyone who says different, hasn't bothered to try the x97s.

I placed a order for some x97s I'm excited to try to them out when they get here based on your recommendations. (Local shop sold out the size I want.) I do have to disagree about ML wheels though, I had some 101a ML wheels maybe 5 or 6 years ago and the quality of urethane didn't seem to different than some of the big companies. They weren't obviously my favorite considering I've only had one set but you can do worse than ML. Things may have changed though since then so I can't speak to that but they use to be ok.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2023, 05:45:10 PM »
I'm not sure I agree that the x97s slide better than f4 97s, though I had a pre release set. They definitely felt a little softer and were quieter and more gummy than f4 97s though

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2023, 05:45:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I placed a order for some x97s I'm excited to try to them out when they get here based on your recommendations. (Local shop sold out the size I want.) I do have to disagree about ML wheels though, I had some 101a ML wheels maybe 5 or 6 years ago and the quality of urethane didn't seem to different than some of the big companies. They weren't obviously my favorite considering I've only had one set but you can do worse than ML. Things may have changed though since then so I can't speak to that but they use to be ok.

YMMV, as they say.

That said, ML have never, ever been on the same playing field as BONES STF or Spitfire F4.

Those are the BIG companies/players to beat for the last 5-6 years (RIP NFG as a contender, close second place)...comparing to say, anything out of creative or mearthane, team wheels, etc., sure they hold up.

Enjoy the x97s, great product that hopefully fits your needs...haters in this forum likes to dump on bones (yet those out of diapers were ALL polishing that STiF knob before F4s came out) for me they're perfect for everywhere except the smoothest of parks...so many more spots are open to skate compared to riding a 101/99/97, from anyone.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 05:52:25 PM by Xen »

Daewons front truck

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2023, 10:40:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

YMMV, as they say.

That said, ML have never, ever been on the same playing field as BONES STF or Spitfire F4.

Those are the BIG companies/players to beat for the last 5-6 years (RIP NFG as a contender, close second place)...comparing to say, anything out of creative or mearthane, team wheels, etc., sure they hold up.

Enjoy the x97s, great product that hopefully fits your needs...haters in this forum likes to dump on bones (yet those out of diapers were ALL polishing that STiF knob before F4s came out) for me they're perfect for everywhere except the smoothest of parks...so many more spots are open to skate compared to riding a 101/99/97, from anyone.

I really enjoy them, I haven't had them for long but it does feel like it Slides better. I've never had a problem with bones, I really like the OG bones 100s, they are a solid, long lasting wheel that's  not too easy to flat spot. You can't beat the price too! My local shop carries the bones 100s for $24.99 USD. I agree ML doesn't compete with F4s or STFs (both of which cost 45.99 at my shop). But they do compete with some of the other wheel companies such as
Wayward, (Andrew Brophys wheel company.) SML, and Orbs. I'll tell you an underrated wheel is the "Pig Prime" wheel. They are a very hard wheel that slides better than any other wheel I've tried. They market them as a 103a wheel but I'm not sure if that's even a thing.