Author Topic: Stand up comedy  (Read 19621 times)

m path

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -51
Re: Stand up comedy
« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2022, 04:56:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I thought the Joel Kim Booster Netflix special was fun

I turned off the Ricky Gervais one.   I may not agree with Chappelle’s shitty takes, but he at least knows to stick that shit at the end of the special.   Gervais was just a miserable prick from the jump
[close]

Shit, accidentally wrote disagree earlier.  In context I hope it’s clear I’m not a Terf or a hatemonger, but def want to make that clear now
[close]
The other thing chapelle has over gervais is he’s actually funny. Have always found gervais jarring, too much punching down for me and not done in a intelligent or funny way like bill hicks for example. Either way fuck them terfs
[close]
   Nobody is punching anybody dude its stand up.  Stand up isn't dangerous it just sucks 9 times out of 10.
[close]
Gervais never really felt like a true stand up comedian. Its like a one man play where the character is a stand up. Don't think he ever had to do ten minutes or work clubs etc. I do think he is funny just less so in his stand up mc grindah of people just do nothing is a straight rip off of David Brent but that doesn't really factor into stand up comedy
   He was unnecessarily mean to Madonna imo but he fuckin got Tom Hanks and Tim Allen pretty good you have to admit.  But that was his shining moment and yah his stand up sucks from what ive seen since then.
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

companguero

• Rep: 249
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #151 on: October 16, 2022, 12:13:25 PM »
... OR other funny standup that has a non traditional format.
While I think standup is usually a mix of prepared and improvised material for an audience expecting comedy, this is an example of a comic doing what comes naturally to them. They get in front of a crowd to tell jokes or be one for entertainment like she did here.

This video is the best version of the event including some news coverage of the aftermath.
I found an oral history of the event with lots of back story including reactions like this one:

She starts singing in earnest but you quickly see she reacts to the sound delay which makes her smile. I think that was a moment her instincts started to kick in.
Later on she mentioned Johnny Carson's advice: not to start too high. She realized 6 notes in that the rest was doomed and wished she could start over but then thought
"what the hell, I'm a comic, I'm gonna make it funny cuz I way over-shot my wad here".
That's my favorite part, when she unplugs her ears and goes for it, determined to finish the bit.

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #152 on: October 16, 2022, 12:51:59 PM »
Stewart Lee & Kevin Bridges......

badmanganjaspliff

• Rep: 2
  • You pies
« Reply #153 on: October 16, 2022, 03:35:21 PM »
Stewart lee is a genius, went to his most recent UK tour and he’s definitely still got it

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2022, 08:09:04 AM »
richard pryor🔥🔥

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2022, 01:48:19 PM »
Expand Quote
... OR other funny standup that has a non traditional format.
[close]
While I think standup is usually a mix of prepared and improvised material for an audience expecting comedy, this is an example of a comic doing what comes naturally to them. They get in front of a crowd to tell jokes or be one for entertainment like she did here.

This video is the best version of the event including some news coverage of the aftermath.
I found an oral history of the event with lots of back story including reactions like this one:

She starts singing in earnest but you quickly see she reacts to the sound delay which makes her smile. I think that was a moment her instincts started to kick in.
Later on she mentioned Johnny Carson's advice: not to start too high. She realized 6 notes in that the rest was doomed and wished she could start over but then thought
"what the hell, I'm a comic, I'm gonna make it funny cuz I way over-shot my wad here".
That's my favorite part, when she unplugs her ears and goes for it, determined to finish the bit.

that was really cool. It was fascinating that she seemed to really enjoy it that she had pissed everyone off. Her husband was scared and worried and she seemed really excited after the song. I would piss myself if ten thousand people were booing me at the same time lol.

I also think she meant to sing normally and then she just ran with it. Like an inner demon got triggered when she realized the sound was off. she couldn’t help herself to prank everyone.

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #156 on: October 19, 2022, 10:13:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Stewart lee is a genius, went to his most recent UK tour and he’s definitely still got it

I'm late to the Stewart Lee party.......his 2 most recent BBC specials were great.  Not sure if Kevin Bridges translates beyond Scotland though.  Oh and special mention to Jerry Sadowitz!

LB

• Rep: 57
« Reply #157 on: October 19, 2022, 04:12:27 PM »

m path

« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2022, 03:59:23 AM »
  Not stand up but I go back to Cumtown's Bill Burr once and a bit.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #159 on: October 20, 2022, 04:28:13 AM »
Nick is so fukn funny. I love how over stand up he was for a while also which led to so many great riffs just talking shit on stand up. So many bits to go back to, Eric Clapton is a banger too.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2022, 07:14:22 AM »
Wish I had some extra money, Nick Mullen is in my city tonight but already seeing Mark Normand on Saturday.  Hyped Stavy is finally coming next spring

m path

« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2022, 08:52:33 AM »
  I was listening to Band of Gypsies (live) and after a gut wrenching version of "Machine Gun" Jimmy super off handedly says, "Dedicated to everyone that's died and is gonna die (in reference to the Vietnam war that was happening), then he says, "that will give them hope" while chuckling.  Its super funny to hear it.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #162 on: October 20, 2022, 10:09:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Nick is so fukn funny. I love how over stand up he was for a while also which led to so many great riffs just talking shit on stand up. So many bits to go back to, Eric Clapton is a banger too.

My favorite is any of the Tom Myers bits… or when Adam shit himself before the podcast.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1605
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2022, 08:37:09 PM »
All hail Norm

"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

m path

« Reply #164 on: October 27, 2022, 02:31:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
  It's good.  I was seeing one of his exs back in the early 00s (Eric).  She was hot to trot.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2022, 04:26:47 AM »
Bill Burr, Sam Moril, Stav, Nick mullen, Taylor Tomlinson, Hannibal Buress, Jimmy Norton, Artie

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2022, 06:41:41 AM »
Bill Burr, Sam Moril, Stav, Nick mullen, Taylor Tomlinson, Hannibal Buress, Jimmy Norton, Artie

Artie’s appearances on opie and Anthony always great…or Patrice riffing with Bobby Lee.   

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2022, 08:21:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Artie’s appearances on opie and Anthony always great…or Patrice riffing with Bobby Lee.

patrice could have been the greatest of all time. RIP

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #168 on: October 29, 2022, 01:02:00 AM »
More Norm that I had not came across before.

Never forget:

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #169 on: October 29, 2022, 05:00:43 AM »
More Norm that I had not came across before.

So good… he would always do those long jokes on Conan too.

One of his best stern appearances…amazing stories

He sat on the chair with his back to Robin because that supposedly had some kind of tension. 

Jeff Bezos The Antichrist

• Rep: 29
« Reply #170 on: October 29, 2022, 12:00:10 PM »
Gringo Papi special of the year

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #171 on: October 29, 2022, 01:05:28 PM »
Hannah Gadsby!

What do you think of her specials?

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #172 on: November 03, 2022, 06:08:43 PM »

Good set, but I do NOT condone anti-Pugdoggery in any way, shape, or form.

EDIT: clarified my stance on anti-Pugdoggery
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 07:33:00 PM by pugmaster »

Never forget:

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #173 on: November 05, 2022, 08:40:07 PM »
Definitely my favorite special of Nikki Glaser

Never forget:

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #174 on: November 05, 2022, 11:28:56 PM »
I love Nikki Glaser. My wife can't hang.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

companguero

• Rep: 249
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #175 on: November 06, 2022, 02:50:07 AM »
Chelsea Peretti had a special on Netflix called “one of the greats”. She sprinkles this gag throughout where the camera does the cliche cut to audience reactions but everytime it’s some ridiculous scene like a baby seated by itself or dogs. Cracks me up.
Sometimes it sounds like the laughter is purposely out of place or louder than it naturally is, I just liked how she put together a strong act and was able to make a joke of the “special” itself.
It’s annoying when the footage is edited to reassure a dumb home audience that “look, the butt of the joke is laughing, you can too”.

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

804zerep

• Rep: 1
« Reply #176 on: November 14, 2022, 05:56:30 PM »
Hey folks, since getting sober in 2020 by getting back into skateboarding after 13 years as an alcoholic, I also got back into stand up comedy after a 5 year alcohol induced absence.

This past year I have gotten back on the road to building a career in stand up comedy and I am happy to say I have been having a lot more success now that I am sober.

I stopped skateboarding when I started drinking at age 16 and I have spent most of my adult life drunk and after getting back into skateboarding as a sober adult. I look at skateboarding a lot different now. I don't look at skateboarding as a sport, It's more as an art, the world is our canvas and the skateboard is our paintbrush.

Skateboarding saved my life and I am forever grateful for that, and I think what makes skateboarding so special is the incredibly supportive community. Most skaters cheer the success of each other, when someone lands something they have been working on everyone is happy to see them finally accomplish their goal. That is very special and is actually pretty rare in most other areas of life and feel fortunate to have grown up with such a community.

I just saw this thread and thought I'd leave a post with some of my stand up comedy for anyone who is interested in supporting a fellow skate bro working on accomplishing a goal. (a like, comment, subscribe, or follow goes a long way!)

I hate to be this douche asking people to follow me but unfortunately social media platforms are a big part of having a career in comedy now days so here I am.

Here's a clip of me making a few 8 ball pool jokes while repping EMERICA x CREATURE on the stage of the San Francisco Punchline.

https://youtube.com/shorts/2fNOQxwDn3s?feature=share

I am working on building a Youtube channel with stand up comedy, skateboarding, and shooting pool videos. You can check out some of the other videos from my channel here.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCP2EkYgWgeoAa6S62nFq9XA

Thanks for taking the time to read this thing and if you took the time to watch some of my videos and support further, thank you so much for your support!

-Leo

« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 08:32:44 PM by 804zerep »

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #177 on: November 14, 2022, 10:17:00 PM »

Good set, but I do NOT condone anti-Pugdoggery in any way, shape, or form.

EDIT: clarified my stance on anti-Pugdoggery

Raining champ at the moment.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #178 on: November 14, 2022, 10:31:08 PM »
Hey folks, since getting sober in 2020 by getting back into skateboarding after 13 years as an alcoholic, I also got back into stand up comedy after a 5 year alcohol induced absence.

This past year I have gotten back on the road to building a career in stand up comedy and I am happy to say I have been having a lot more success now that I am sober.

I stopped skateboarding when I started drinking at age 16 and I have spent most of my adult life drunk and after getting back into skateboarding as a sober adult. I look at skateboarding a lot different now. I don't look at skateboarding as a sport, It's more as an art, the world is our canvas and the skateboard is our paintbrush.

Skateboarding saved my life and I am forever grateful for that, and I think what makes skateboarding so special is the incredibly supportive community. Most skaters cheer the success of each other, when someone lands something they have been working on everyone is happy to see them finally accomplish their goal. That is very special and is actually pretty rare in most other areas of life and feel fortunate to have grown up with such a community.

I just saw this thread and thought I'd leave a post with some of my stand up comedy for anyone who is interested in supporting a fellow skate bro working on accomplishing a goal. (a like, comment, subscribe, or follow goes a long way!)

I hate to be this douche asking people to follow me but unfortunately social media platforms are a big part of having a career in comedy now days so here I am.

Here's a clip of me making a few 8 ball pool jokes while repping EMERICA x CREATURE on the stage of the San Francisco Punchline.

https://youtube.com/shorts/2fNOQxwDn3s?feature=share

I am working on building a Youtube channel with stand up comedy, skateboarding, and shooting pool videos. You can check out some of the other videos from my channel here.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCP2EkYgWgeoAa6S62nFq9XA

Thanks for taking the time to read this thing and if you took the time to watch some of my videos and support further, thank you so much for your support!

-Leo

Stand up is an incredibly difficult pursuit, so congratulations on your hard work! You look really comfortable on stage and your material is well thought out. Keep on keeping on!

Shout out to all of you who actually do standup as well!

Never forget:

rukes

• Rep: 217
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #179 on: November 15, 2022, 01:43:08 AM »
I like that Tim Heidecker stand up special where he does coke vs pepsi
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?