Author Topic: Things You Pondered Today  (Read 583699 times)

FROTHY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
Re: Things You Pondered Today
« Reply #2880 on: October 08, 2018, 02:42:52 PM »
Expand Quote
If a couple sits beside you and start acting like 'they should get a room' is it okay to fart them out? 
[close]

absolutely

Farts don't care about your feelings

calvinsdream

« Reply #2881 on: October 08, 2018, 04:18:14 PM »
Will my boss ever figure out I've been farting on the papers on his desk when he's not there?

feedmeseymour

« Reply #2882 on: October 09, 2018, 05:18:41 AM »
because shes gotten gang banged by black dudes, does that give riley reed the pass for saying the "n-word"?

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #2883 on: October 09, 2018, 05:38:01 AM »
one of my wifes co-workers who is an incredibly serious, 100% type A know-it-all, miss perfect. she has two kids named riley and reid. i think the only thing she doesnt know is who riley reid, the adult film actress is, but im sure he husband does and i think thats funny.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 534
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2884 on: October 09, 2018, 10:18:36 AM »
pretty much all popular music genres these days have a constant, very prominent drum beat of some sort. why? and most of it is very simple and repetitive. it can start to sound boring and monotonous.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 163
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2885 on: October 09, 2018, 10:30:03 AM »
I don't think she gets a pass to rap, based on that video.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

double

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2886 on: October 09, 2018, 11:49:11 AM »
pretty much all popular music genres these days have a constant, very prominent drum beat of some sort. why? and most of it is very simple and repetitive. it can start to sound boring and monotonous.
Its how you enter a trance wave/trance state, your 3rd eye is not open bro.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2887 on: October 09, 2018, 12:29:49 PM »

can you give an example? i haven't noticed a common thread in pop music drum sounds, other than nobody wants to use anything other than an 808, and its gotta have that "trap" sound. even country music is doing that shit now to a small degree.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2888 on: October 09, 2018, 12:48:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

can you give an example? i haven't noticed a common thread in pop music drum sounds, other than nobody wants to use anything other than an 808, and its gotta have that "trap" sound. even country music is doing that shit now to a small degree.

I don’t mean a booming drum beat but drums throughout. even old blues songs didn’t have a drummer. almost all popular music these days has someone either playing a drum set, a drum sample or synthesized drum patterns throughout the song.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2889 on: October 09, 2018, 12:52:27 PM »
What?!?  You’re saying a lot of popular music features a drum beat??  Where the H did you come up with that?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
« Reply #2890 on: October 09, 2018, 12:52:37 PM »
chuck ramone just realizing what drums are in 2018 haha wtf
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2891 on: October 09, 2018, 01:36:15 PM »
it’s true though. ancient, classical, choral, old folk, etc. music had no constant drum beat. why does every song now from rock to hip-hop to country to jazz to electronic have to have drums throughout?

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2892 on: October 09, 2018, 03:38:09 PM »
because drums are fucking awesome and make everything better. in fact, more bands need to start doing shit like this and adding more drummers to the band.

double

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2893 on: October 09, 2018, 04:45:39 PM »
it’s true though. ancient, classical, choral, old folk, etc. music had no constant drum beat. why does every song now from rock to hip-hop to country to jazz to electronic have to have drums throughout?
Its called a rhythm are u regular. Some songs have one some don't, drums was the first instrument ever. How the fuck are you confused?

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #2894 on: October 09, 2018, 05:42:11 PM »
Drums are overrated, I mostly like floaty electronic stuff.
youtu.be/9iotUVejax8
I’m posting from my phone, so I probably fucked up that embed.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 163
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2895 on: October 09, 2018, 08:07:15 PM »
because drums are fucking awesome and make everything better. in fact, more bands need to start doing shit like this and adding more drummers to the band.

Melvins and Butthole Surfers both come to mind as having two drummers. According to old old school friends of mine, the butthole surfers used to hand out tabs of acid with the cost of admission, then they had two drummers who were identical twins, who would constantly switch positions in between songs.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #2896 on: October 09, 2018, 08:20:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Melvins and Butthole Surfers both come to mind as having two drummers. According to old old school friends of mine, the butthole surfers used to hand out tabs of acid with the cost of admission, then they had two drummers who were identical twins, who would constantly switch positions in between songs.

I’ve always wanted to see Fantomas Melvins Big Band play live. I think they have 3 drummers for that.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2897 on: October 09, 2018, 08:44:54 PM »

at least that’s an answer: they sound good.

Expand Quote
[close]
Its called a rhythm are u regular. Some songs have one some don't, drums was the first instrument ever. How the fuck are you confused?

voice was probably the first instrument. you don’t need someone banging and hitting drums throughout an entire song. rhythm and time can be kept lots of different ways. you can tap your foot to keep time or follow another musician’s lead. the modern musical ensemble where you have pretty much every song filled with drum sounds - hi-hat, ride, bass drum, snare, etc. - from start to finish is not the only way to keep rhythm. how is this such a hard question to consider? I didn’t ask what are drums. I said why the modern version where they’ve become so prominent? do people need a constant drum beat heard throughout every song they listen to? why? is it a modern thing? it’s a question about contemporary music and how it’s different from in the past.

here are examples of music without someone hitting and banging on drums the whole time.

most classical music compositions have some drums sometimes but not the whole song. the conductor keeps time. this is not an outlandish question at all. drums can be kind of obnoxious if you notice them all the time.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2898 on: October 09, 2018, 10:35:56 PM »
I counted my skate video library - currently sitting at 216 videos.

I wonder what life would have been if I spent that money in other things.

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #2899 on: October 10, 2018, 12:25:08 AM »
A steady drum beat probably started as a way to make dancing easier. In drumless music that’s meant to be danced to you’ll still have the beat made prominent by foot stomping, a steady bass or some other repeating element, unless it’s some freeform expressionist thing. Choral music, piano concertos etc. are mainly listening music.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2900 on: October 10, 2018, 10:25:46 AM »
A steady drum beat probably started as a way to make dancing easier. In drumless music that’s meant to be danced to you’ll still have the beat made prominent by foot stomping, a steady bass or some other repeating element, unless it’s some freeform expressionist thing. Choral music, piano concertos etc. are mainly listening music.

but what about genres that are not particularly danceable like shoegaze or metal? I guess you could dance to those but not in a traditionally rhythmic way. I think the modern drum sound also has a lot to do with amplification of other instruments and the need to keep up with the loudness of everything. that and people’s taste for loud, unrelenting music. even genres like folk or country have had to get louder and more propulsive.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2901 on: October 10, 2018, 11:33:35 AM »
i hear the point youre making, chuck. ive never really thought about music in that way and i honestly think its pretty interesting. i dont have a good reason why almost everything needs drums, but it is interesting to think about.

woodinbrine

• ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #2902 on: October 10, 2018, 02:27:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

but what about genres that are not particularly danceable like shoegaze or metal? I guess you could dance to those but not in a traditionally rhythmic way. I think the modern drum sound also has a lot to do with amplification of other instruments and the need to keep up with the loudness of everything. that and people’s taste for loud, unrelenting music. even genres like folk or country have had to get louder and more propulsive.

The loudness point is good, with amplified instruments and vocals you’d need loud drums to drive the beat through and it’s about people getting down on the dance floor.

As for danceability, if there’s a beat I’d say there’s opportunity to dance. I like music to be a physical experience. With age I’m becoming less concerned about how I look so I’ll do the magic box at a doom metal gig without giving a damn. I’d also say that headbanging, moshing etc. are forms of dance.

A nice seated ambient, noise or whatever show with no beat and just floating in your own mind is good stuff though.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #2903 on: October 10, 2018, 02:42:47 PM »
Where's Baby Bash?
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2904 on: October 10, 2018, 03:08:39 PM »
The loudness point is good, with amplified instruments and vocals you’d need loud drums to drive the beat through and it’s about people getting down on the dance floor.

I always imagined it went the other way around. The reason for amplification is not only to fill the space with sound, but also to be heard over the drums. Guitars, vocals and other instruments got louder as musical styles evolved, but drums have always been loud. Even if you just want to play rock music in a small room in your house, or maybe in your garage (givecigstosurfgroms  :-*), you need something pretty fucking loud if you want to play with a drummer.

woodinbrine

• ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #2905 on: October 10, 2018, 10:02:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I always imagined it went the other way around. The reason for amplification is not only to fill the space with sound, but also to be heard over the drums. Guitars, vocals and other instruments got louder as musical styles evolved, but drums have always been loud. Even if you just want to play rock music in a small room in your house, or maybe in your garage (givecigstosurfgroms  :-*), you need something pretty fucking loud if you want to play with a drummer.

Yeah that makes sense.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2906 on: October 11, 2018, 01:42:15 AM »
Is that your dog?

I wonder what Jimi Britches is doing right now?

woodinbrine

• ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #2907 on: October 11, 2018, 01:58:17 AM »
Is that your dog?

Yeah, that’s our Molly. She’s 9 years old and possibly the hungriest golden retriever on earth.

Pigeon

« Reply #2908 on: October 11, 2018, 06:37:56 AM »
Is that your dog?

I wonder what Jimi Britches is doing right now?
eating a box of donuts from Dunkin‘ Donuts, including the box, and listening to The Highway Murderers

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2909 on: October 11, 2018, 09:11:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Is that your dog?
[close]

Yeah, that’s our Molly. She’s 9 years old and possibly the hungriest golden retriever on earth.

Beautiful.

I’ve been seriously looking into getting a black lab/greyhound mix, but I dunno if I have enough space and am home enough to really give it a good life. I should probably just get another cat, if anything.