Author Topic: I can't god damn turn  (Read 573 times)

Sajn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
I can't god damn turn
« on: October 31, 2023, 09:58:09 PM »
Hello,everyone.I just joined this forum and this is my first post ,so be gentle please.So...as the title says ,i cant turn for days.I started 1 and a half week ago to skate and so far i learned by my own to :stand on my board and not fall,how to push and how to put my pushing foot on the board.All good so far ,i can stay on my board with cruising speed until i go in the direction my back foot's toes touch on my board and have to bail out and not hit the obstacle.An important detail is that i can't switch my front foot from vertical to orizontal so maybe that's the problem.Can i steer the board without switching my front foot?

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 174
  • My brother Roy is into music
Re: I can't god damn turn
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 09:21:46 PM »
It's too soon for that Sajn. Work on getting more comfortable riding your board in a straight line and being able to turn your foot. As a beginner it's almost always about bending your knees and feeling light on your board.

Keep pushing. Everything else will follow in time

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 05:30:55 AM »
Hello,everyone.I just joined this forum and this is my first post ,so be gentle please.So...as the title says ,i cant turn for days.I started 1 and a half week ago to skate and so far i learned by my own to :stand on my board and not fall,how to push and how to put my pushing foot on the board.All good so far ,i can stay on my board with cruising speed until i go in the direction my back foot's toes touch on my board and have to bail out and not hit the obstacle.An important detail is that i can't switch my front foot from vertical to orizontal so maybe that's the problem.Can i steer the board without switching my front foot?

No, you need your front foot sideways not just to help you turn, but for general balance.

After you push (your front front should be directly on on or just a touch behind your front bolts) you put your back foot on the board, and then right away turn your front foot sideways, twisting gently on the ball of your foot.

Then you’ll have both feet to pressure the toe or heel edge of the board to help you turn.

Another factor is how tight your trucks are.
If they are too tight, the trucks won’t move and you’ll just end up tipping the board on 2 wheels.

Too loose and it’s hard to balance. Loosen the kingpin and stand on the carpet and test it until you find a happy medium
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 08:25:37 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 12:50:13 AM »
I'd honestly like to hear silhouette weigh in on this...
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 01:31:06 AM »
for some people this makes it harder and for some easier...if you're comfortable bending all the way down and actually grabbing onto your board (back hand on the toe side rail and front hand on the nose or the heel side rail) you'll be heavier (which will help with turning) and you'll be lower so you maybe won't be so scared to fall.

also, make sure you're LOOKING where you want to go before you start trying to turn there.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2023, 01:31:54 AM »
If you're skating old krux that's perfectly normal.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2023, 01:40:45 AM »
... and some people had a career in skateboarding without being able to turn.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2023, 04:33:39 AM »
If you have a homie, stand on the board with feet parallel and ask them to drag or push you around (gently) so that you can focus on turning without having to push. That will help you get the feeling, and then you can try to combine pushing, getting into parallel stance, roll, turn… etc…
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro