Author Topic: Tall Pals (6'+): gear recommendations and reflections  (Read 17990 times)

giantbeardedone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: Tall Pals (6'+): gear recommendations and reflections
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2020, 12:44:52 AM »
Has anyone tried this beast?

https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-pro-jm-duran-slidewinder-flightr-skateboard-deck-8-88-x-34-7

17" wheel base!

I can't imagine even ollying on it but my size 16's would be able to dance all over it.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2020, 01:40:46 AM »
Has anyone tried this beast?

https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-pro-jm-duran-slidewinder-flightr-skateboard-deck-8-88-x-34-7

17" wheel base!

I can't imagine even ollying on it but my size 16's would be able to dance all over it.
longboard territory
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2020, 10:18:57 AM »
Anyone here riding a slightly smaller setup?

I'm 6'4"
size 13

Riding an 8in with a 14.25 wheelbase and ventures and am absolutely loving it. I've bounced around to an 8.125 with the same trucks, then an 8.25 with indys and an 8.5 with thunders.

The 8 and 8.125 are by far my favorites at the moment. A skinnier deck with venture lows makes a fantastic setup. I don't mind a wider board, but I've found I don't really need it either.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2020, 11:00:28 AM »

I'm 6'4"
size 13

Riding an 8in with a 14.25 wheelbase and ventures and am absolutely loving it. I've bounced around to an 8.125 with the same trucks, then an 8.25 with indys and an 8.5 with thunders.

The 8 and 8.125 are by far my favorites at the moment. A skinnier deck with venture lows makes a fantastic setup. I don't mind a wider board, but I've found I don't really need it either.

Agree. Wider doesn’t help me. Sometimes it’s fun, but that’s it

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2020, 12:53:40 PM »

I'm 6'4"
size 13

im on an 8.25 alltimers with a 14.25 WB and thunder forged and while i admit i can ride it, i prefer having more room to flick and land on.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #125 on: April 11, 2020, 12:54:12 PM »
Expand Quote

I'm 6'4"
size 13

[close]

Agree. Wider doesn’t help me. Sometimes it’s fun, but that’s it

same. on 6 5 size 13 on 8.25 14.25 is great. Probably could, but dont wanna go down any more

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2020, 04:14:46 PM »
WB and the kicks matter so much more than width.  I'll skate any width 8"-8.5" as long as it is flat and pointy(-ish) with a 14.25"-14.5" WB (sized down on that recently, prefer 14.25). 6'3" and 11.5 in Vans, 12 in Nike.

Speaking of, recently trying Nike a half size up was such a hard to swallow pill. I guess being tall with bigger feet, admitting I needed a bigger shoe made me feel a little self conscious.

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2020, 05:00:39 PM »
Stoked to find this thread, just what i need for inspo!

Height 195cm (6,4~5”)
Shoe size 11.5
Setup Antihero full 8.25 x 32.2 wb 14.5

I like the board but as others mentioned before me, the Long wb n length makes it pretty sluggish. I feel like trying a shorter deck next time, what is a ’normal’ length? 31.8? Also any ideas for wb When setup with indys? 14.25 sounds like it would make a decent Change to the feel. Its hard visualizing in inches when you’re used to the Metric system..

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2020, 06:02:02 PM »
Stoked to find this thread, just what i need for inspo!

Height 195cm (6,4~5”)
Shoe size 11.5
Setup Antihero full 8.25 x 32.2 wb 14.5

I like the board but as others mentioned before me, the Long wb n length makes it pretty sluggish. I feel like trying a shorter deck next time, what is a ’normal’ length? 31.8? Also any ideas for wb When setup with indys? 14.25 sounds like it would make a decent Change to the feel. Its hard visualizing in inches when you’re used to the Metric system..
really enjoying the 14.25 wb same height but I wear size 13s. huge difference compared to 14.5+ everything is much easier this way

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2020, 07:20:51 PM »
WB and the kicks matter so much more than width.  I'll skate any width 8"-8.5" as long as it is flat and pointy(-ish) with a 14.25"-14.5" WB (sized down on that recently, prefer 14.25). 6'3" and 11.5 in Vans, 12 in Nike.

Speaking of, recently trying Nike a half size up was such a hard to swallow pill. I guess being tall with bigger feet, admitting I needed a bigger shoe made me feel a little self conscious.

why pointy?
also same boat, started wearing 13's more recently, i think my feet have flattened and grown in my age? and was getting toe soreness on one of my feet

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2020, 08:16:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
why pointy?
also same boat, started wearing 13's more recently, i think my feet have flattened and grown in my age? and was getting toe soreness on one of my feet

I shouldn’t even be in here: (real short)

Pointy helps me flip the board. I also like the look. Anything with a scoop feels excellent.

I went from cramming my feet into 8.5s-9, to all of a sudden needing 10-10.5 in my 30s. It was dumb to wear shoes too small.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2020, 08:22:37 PM »
Yeah I have recently accepted that I’m a 12. I denied that fact for more than a decade.

14.25 WB with Ventures or Thunders is what’s feeling good for me now. I really, really loved 14.5 with Aces, and I think riding Aces for a year did a lot for my skating but now I want to flip that thing around.

JudoOrigami

• Rep: -90
« Reply #132 on: April 11, 2020, 09:19:02 PM »
Without pictures of your big toes this thread is worthless I got a fat ass toe

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #133 on: April 12, 2020, 08:18:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
why pointy?
[close]

I shouldn’t even be in here: (real short)

Pointy helps me flip the board. I also like the look. Anything with a scoop feels excellent.

I went from cramming my feet into 8.5s-9, to all of a sudden needing 10-10.5 in my 30s. It was dumb to wear shoes too small.

Pointy feels extra good on anything with a scoop or shove. Plus when I was a kid everything was pointy so that is just how boards should look to me. I genuinely can't stand how square kicks look.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1078
« Reply #134 on: April 12, 2020, 10:23:53 AM »
It’s funny. I am 6.1 with a size 12 but an inseam of 31 so I have none of the issues you guys are talking about. 14.25 is perfect for me and I rode 14” wheel base 7.5” x 31” for 10 years also with no issues.

It’s the leg length that matters.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:27:20 AM by GardenSkater77 »

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #135 on: April 12, 2020, 02:23:12 PM »
giving the 8.5 x 32.125 x 14.375 Heroin board I had stashed under the bed another shot. I hope I like it because I really wanna try the razortop with the same dims.

edit: might try magic carpeting it with my 144s too.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 03:18:45 PM by weedgod94 »

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2020, 02:57:42 PM »
It’s funny. I am 6.1 with a size 12 but an inseam of 31 so I have none of the issues you guys are talking about. 14.25 is perfect for me and I rode 14” wheel base 7.5” x 31” for 10 years also with no issues.

36 inseam and a 31.5 length deck seems like a headache, never mind 31 flat

giantbeardedone

« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2020, 03:11:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
36 inseam and a 31.5 length deck seems like a headache, never mind 31 flat

Pardon my ignorance but your deck length is supposed to match your inseam length or what?

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2020, 03:28:44 PM »
not but it feels shit to have long ass legs and a short board to land on

giantbeardedone

« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2020, 04:06:57 PM »

tell me about it, I nearly have a 40" inseam.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2020, 04:40:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the clearance from your nuts too most handrails is a blessing i bet

giantbeardedone

« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2020, 05:03:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
the clearance from your nuts too most handrails is a blessing i bet

lol there is that. not jumping my big ass onto any handrails any time soon.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2020, 11:39:28 AM »
are you guys skating vulcs? had to for the last month or so and my legs are always shot. i stretch before and after sessions and have never been this inflexible in my life.

this is my last pair of vans for sure. they are mentally no good for me. i used to wear them as casual shoes all the time before i started skating and doing anything athletic in them just doesnt click with my brain. believe it or not, most of my solo sessions have consisted of me cursing loudly at myself to actually jump. when i land the shock goes through my heels and up my back. only looking for cushy cupsoles at this point

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2020, 12:49:59 PM »
are you guys skating vulcs? had to for the last month or so and my legs are always shot. i stretch before and after sessions and have never been this inflexible in my life.

this is my last pair of vans for sure. they are mentally no good for me. i used to wear them as casual shoes all the time before i started skating and doing anything athletic in them just doesnt click with my brain. believe it or not, most of my solo sessions have consisted of me cursing loudly at myself to actually jump. when i land the shock goes through my heels and up my back. only looking for cushy cupsoles at this point

Vans pros or classics? Either way, if the ultracush isn't cutting it then yeah try cupsoles. 3st.004 has good cushion. I used to skate exclusively thick cupsoles with good cushion (rip Project BA), thicker dunks etc with FP insoles. Relatively less plagued by injuries now but still like the stability of a solid cupsole but I've come to value boardfeel a lot more lately, so just been skating a rotation of jordan 1s. Pretty thin but very structured, and great boardfeel but still more cushion (especially on the midfoot and heels) than most vulcs.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2020, 01:06:51 PM »
I only skate vulcs, with a couple exceptions over the past few years. IMHO fit and insole matter way more to me and have a bigger impact on how sore or not sore I feel afterwards.

Take it with a grain of salt, as I pretty much only skate flatground and curbs.

giantbeardedone

« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2020, 02:16:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Vans pros or classics? Either way, if the ultracush isn't cutting it then yeah try cupsoles. 3st.004 has good cushion. I used to skate exclusively thick cupsoles with good cushion (rip Project BA), thicker dunks etc with FP insoles. Relatively less plagued by injuries now but still like the stability of a solid cupsole but I've come to value boardfeel a lot more lately, so just been skating a rotation of jordan 1s. Pretty thin but very structured, and great boardfeel but still more cushion (especially on the midfoot and heels) than most vulcs.

you skate in Jordan 1's? That sounds mint to me and I could maybe even find them in size 16. They feel good?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2020, 02:21:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

you skate in Jordan 1's? That sounds mint to me and I could maybe even find them in size 16. They feel good?

Yes. Good boardfeel and shape. Structured and feel very stable. Good cushioning in the forefoot and heel but can get a little thin in the toe after a while. Very durable too. I'm size 13 so I'm at the sweet spot where I can find anything in my size and there's plenty of stuff on sale. If you've got 16 feet then most skate shoes aren't an option, should definitely consider Js if you can find on the low

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2020, 02:34:01 PM »
I've gone from 8,06 - 8.12 - 8.25 - 8.38 Full, and now back to a 8.25 Full SE again (3rd Full SE).
It felt terrible. Way too cramped, length wise, however, it also felt a little heavy, as in I had to put in some effort.
Skate with thunders 148. The 8.38 was 32.45" length, 14.62" WB.
I guess I should try find a similar length, but maybe between 14.25 - 14.5" WB to mellow it out?

giantbeardedone

« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2020, 02:39:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes. Good boardfeel and shape. Structured and feel very stable. Good cushioning in the forefoot and heel but can get a little thin in the toe after a while. Very durable too. I'm size 13 so I'm at the sweet spot where I can find anything in my size and there's plenty of stuff on sale. If you've got 16 feet then most skate shoes aren't an option, should definitely consider Js if you can find on the low

sounds sick. problem is finding them cheap. probably impossible at my size.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2020, 02:58:00 PM »
Check GOAT can filter by size, and also the low top 1’s are only $90 retail compared to $160/$170 for the OG high. Can find random colors of the low discounted at times.

Been skating in the NB 913 last couple of small curb sessions. That’s all i have been doing this winter/quarantine. But they good and broken in well. Don’t notice em much on board which is always a good thing.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 03:06:27 PM by jay_nev »