Author Topic: Oskis New Truck Brand  (Read 140893 times)

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
Re: Oskis New Truck Brand
« Reply #960 on: January 15, 2022, 07:30:11 PM »
I installed one of the new kingpins today after my front kingpin started getting some heavy jiggle, can confirm it works, I just had to hammer it through inverted 3 or 4 times before I could get it through the hole the right way. Felt loose at first but I cranked the bolt down and took it off after and the kingpin is nice and tight now. Really hyped to see how it feels. Still have the inverted in my back truck too I’m hoping I can stay like that

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #961 on: January 16, 2022, 07:59:35 AM »
I gotta say that the mechanic in me is a little disappointed that the solution is to remove and install a new splined part into a soft metal plate with a hammer. I hope this solution holds and that the process of extraction and reinstallation doesn't damage the baseplate permanently, since I doubt most people will be doing with with any kind of mechanical press.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
« Reply #962 on: January 16, 2022, 08:25:17 AM »
I gotta say that the mechanic in me is a little disappointed that the solution is to remove and install a new splined part into a soft metal plate with a hammer. I hope this solution holds and that the process of extraction and reinstallation doesn't damage the baseplate permanently, since I doubt most people will be doing with with any kind of mechanical press.
I recon this is the main way people used to really break baseplates. I don't know exactly when but I remember years ago someone would break a kingpin every other session and then a baseplate 50% of the time when trying to hammer the new one in.

I very much recommend people get the biggest/ heaviest hammer you can use and still be accurate and definatly hit the kingpin in way harder than you think. You want to push the steel thru the aluminium in as few hits as possible to reduce the aluminium bending.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #963 on: January 16, 2022, 08:50:41 AM »
I installed one of the new kingpins today after my front kingpin started getting some heavy jiggle, can confirm it works, I just had to hammer it through inverted 3 or 4 times before I could get it through the hole the right way. Felt loose at first but I cranked the bolt down and took it off after and the kingpin is nice and tight now. Really hyped to see how it feels. Still have the inverted in my back truck too I’m hoping I can stay like that

How’s the kingpin clearance with the new one?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #964 on: January 16, 2022, 08:55:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
these trucks definitely wheelbite, have the marks to prove it.

I cant tell if my kingpin is loosening or if I am just imagining it. I was thinking that running these without the washers would mean you can tighten the inverted kingpin further into the baseplate where the shaft has more contact with the bore. Might try this out tomorrow.
[close]

I think you will probably ruin the bushings that way… Problem is more the nut on the baseplate that is too soft and the Nyloc sucks so it easily unscrews itself and is prone to strip.
Pretty sure you can try to use some regular Axle nuts instead (they’ll fit the kingpin and the baseplate) and it should hold it better already.

And on the no-wheelbite thing, I think they are kinda taking the piss, but they definitely wheelbite less than any other truck I had, which is impressive for a truck that turns fairly deep and tight.
[close]

I have been riding mine without washers and I haven’t had any problems with the hex ruining the bushing yet. I’m sure it’ll tear it up eventually, but no problems after 3 weeks of riding them that way (probably 20 hours or so). I weigh 150 so your mileage may vary. I also ran a flat washer on top for a little bit but I took that off because I enjoyed them more without washers. I would recommend running the trucks without washers because they feel so much more turny and fun.

And I agree, you can tighten the kingpin further which makes the trucks feel more secure. The aluminum on these trucks feels a lot harder to me, so I’m not anticipating the kingpin hole boring out as quickly as some are suspecting.

I also put a normal axle nut in the baseplate. The kingpin screwed into the nut fine and it feels tight and secure. I’ve only had one session on them so can’t comment on how well it works yet.

I’m riding 60mm Spitfire Kader’s without risers. They wheelbite but they turn much deeper than any other truck would with 60mm wheels. I had hardly any wheelbite at all with 57mm wheels on prior to the 60s.

Any feedback if this worked in the long run? Seems less invasive as a solution than hammering a kingpin into the baseplate.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #965 on: January 16, 2022, 09:25:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I recon this is the main way people used to really break baseplates. I don't know exactly when but I remember years ago someone would break a kingpin every other session and then a baseplate 50% of the time when trying to hammer the new one in.

I very much recommend people get the biggest/ heaviest hammer you can use and still be accurate and definatly hit the kingpin in way harder than you think. You want to push the steel thru the aluminium in as few hits as possible to reduce the aluminium bending.

Yeah, there’s not a lot of room inside of the bore hole for more than one or two set of splines to be set. Perhaps since all of the trucks are new enough, then the ridges created by the initial installation will be adequate to hold the new kingpin.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #966 on: January 17, 2022, 07:16:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How’s the kingpin clearance with the new one?

Still a considerable amount lower than the top of the hangar. I can take comparison pictures and post when i get home from work.

laterskater

• Rep: 3
« Reply #967 on: January 17, 2022, 09:01:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I cant tell if my kingpin is loosening or if I am just imagining it. I was thinking that running these without the washers would mean you can tighten the inverted kingpin further into the baseplate where the shaft has more contact with the bore. Might try this out tomorrow.
[close]

I think you will probably ruin the bushings that way… Problem is more the nut on the baseplate that is too soft and the Nyloc sucks so it easily unscrews itself and is prone to strip.
Pretty sure you can try to use some regular Axle nuts instead (they’ll fit the kingpin and the baseplate) and it should hold it better already.

And on the no-wheelbite thing, I think they are kinda taking the piss, but they definitely wheelbite less than any other truck I had, which is impressive for a truck that turns fairly deep and tight.
[close]

I have been riding mine without washers and I haven’t had any problems with the hex ruining the bushing yet. I’m sure it’ll tear it up eventually, but no problems after 3 weeks of riding them that way (probably 20 hours or so). I weigh 150 so your mileage may vary. I also ran a flat washer on top for a little bit but I took that off because I enjoyed them more without washers. I would recommend running the trucks without washers because they feel so much more turny and fun.

And I agree, you can tighten the kingpin further which makes the trucks feel more secure. The aluminum on these trucks feels a lot harder to me, so I’m not anticipating the kingpin hole boring out as quickly as some are suspecting.

I also put a normal axle nut in the baseplate. The kingpin screwed into the nut fine and it feels tight and secure. I’ve only had one session on them so can’t comment on how well it works yet.

I’m riding 60mm Spitfire Kader’s without risers. They wheelbite but they turn much deeper than any other truck would with 60mm wheels. I had hardly any wheelbite at all with 57mm wheels on prior to the 60s.
[close]

Any feedback if this worked in the long run? Seems less invasive as a solution than hammering a kingpin into the baseplate.

Regular axle nuts did not work well, the kingpin started loosening.

Ever since then I have been using the axle nuts that come with Ace AF1 trucks (linked below) and they have worked really well. I have put about 10 heavy sessions on them and I haven’t noticed any loosening at all.

The diameter of the Ace nut is smaller than Lurpiv’s and it seems like the nut gets slightly wedged in the hex cutout in the baseplate (still easy to remove though). I’m not sure if that’s why it’s holding so well, or if it’s the nyloc Ace uses, or the hardened steel and “re-threading” design of the Ace nut.

https://shop.acetrucks.com/products/ace-re-threading-axle-nut

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2245
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #968 on: January 17, 2022, 10:24:30 AM »
Just a question based on an observation made looking at the Lurpiv IG posts, it doesn’t appear that the replacement pins they’re shipping have any splines that need to be “hammered” into place: am I missing something obvious? More like, slide the old IKP out with a tap or two (simply for the purpose of knocking the nut free from the baseplate) and the tap the new, standard pin right into the baseplate hole & the thing just kinda snugs in with a decent fit & is then held in place by the pressure from the stacked washer/bushings/nut combo.
This coming from somebody who doesn’t have any Lurpivs, as I haven’t jumped on that train (yet?) so I’m def talking out of my ass over here.
Who wants to clarify for old Lou over here?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #969 on: January 17, 2022, 10:53:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Just a question based on an observation made looking at the Lurpiv IG posts, it doesn’t appear that the replacement pins they’re shipping have any splines that need to be “hammered” into place: am I missing something obvious? More like, slide the old IKP out with a tap or two (simply for the purpose of knocking the nut free from the baseplate) and the tap the new, standard pin right into the baseplate hole & the thing just kinda snugs in with a decent fit & is then held in place by the pressure from the stacked washer/bushings/nut combo.
This coming from somebody who doesn’t have any Lurpivs, as I haven’t jumped on that train (yet?) so I’m def talking out of my ass over here.
Who wants to clarify for old Lou over here?

When I did it it seemed that the hole gets tapered towards the top so when the new kingpin gets put in the hex head on the bottom lodges up into the taper and fits tight when the bolt is put on. also the hardest part to get through is the tip of the kingpin right below the threads, once that section is through it slides up to where it catches on the taper pretty smooth

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #970 on: January 17, 2022, 11:56:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ever since then I have been using the axle nuts that come with Ace AF1 trucks (linked below) and they have worked really well. I have put about 10 heavy sessions on them and I haven’t noticed any loosening at all.

The diameter of the Ace nut is smaller than Lurpiv’s and it seems like the nut gets slightly wedged in the hex cutout in the baseplate (still easy to remove though). I’m not sure if that’s why it’s holding so well, or if it’s the nyloc Ace uses, or the hardened steel and “re-threading” design of the Ace nut.

This sounds like a good fix, thanks!

Edit, shipping to Europe would be prohibitive tho. I wonder if they could just slip two nuts into an envelope and pass it for a letter instead.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

laterskater

« Reply #971 on: January 17, 2022, 12:58:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This sounds like a good fix, thanks!

Edit, shipping to Europe would be prohibitive tho. I wonder if they could just slip two nuts into an envelope and pass it for a letter instead.

I just had some laying around, which is why I tried them. Hopefully you can get your hands on some and it won’t be too expensive.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #972 on: January 17, 2022, 02:59:19 PM »

Lurpiv should kick their manufacturer in the ass and tell them to make nuts with skate grade nylock. 99% of the issues in this thread have to do with the nylock being crap on the nuts even on the "fixed" ones.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #973 on: January 17, 2022, 06:49:30 PM »
This all seems like an awful lot of trouble for a nearly $100 set of trucks.

But then again, I remember my friend had a Saab and it was in the shop all the time.

laterskater

« Reply #974 on: January 17, 2022, 10:03:55 PM »
I wonder how difficult it would be for Lurpiv to make a polished aluminum truck instead of the textured finish. I think I prefer the look of polished now that the uniqueness of the textured finish has worn off.

A polished 8.75” Lurpiv would be my ultimate truck.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #975 on: January 18, 2022, 02:17:59 AM »

But then again, I remember my friend had a Saab and it was in the shop all the time.

Hey who cares as long as they look cool and you can brag about how loose you ride them right?

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #976 on: January 18, 2022, 11:09:27 AM »

I know its been said here a lot but thats what we pay for Indy hollows in Europe.

Also its their first version of the truck, im sure they'll work out the defect parts asap.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1309
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #977 on: January 18, 2022, 11:42:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I know its been said here a lot but thats what we pay for Indy hollows in Europe.

Also its their first version of the truck, im sure they'll work out the defect parts asap.
As a person who has a set and wants them to succeed, how the fuck did they let the nylon nut defect pass through quality control phase? If they took the time to set up a few trucks from each batch they would have caught the bulging nylon and addressed it accordingly. Imagine putting that much resource into starting the company and something as small as a a nylon lock not working properly gives your brand a bad first impression. I'm lumping the kingpin issue in here because my original kingpin came loose seemingly from the nylon not holding it in.

If this is the opinion of someone who wants to go out of my way to support, imagine the opinions of people who have no desire to deviate from known brands.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #978 on: January 18, 2022, 12:12:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
As a person who has a set and wants them to succeed, how the fuck did they let the nylon nut defect pass through quality control phase? If they took the time to set up a few trucks from each batch they would have caught the bulging nylon and addressed it accordingly. Imagine putting that much resource into starting the company and something as small as a a nylon lock not working properly gives your brand a bad first impression. I'm lumping the kingpin issue in here because my original kingpin came loose seemingly from the nylon not holding it in.

If this is the opinion of someone who wants to go out of my way to support, imagine the opinions of people who have no desire to deviate from known brands.

Yeah man, it's wack. My first impression of the nuts was that they weren't great. I almost ruined one of my nuts screwing it the first time, it went a bit crooked and instantly striped, it was just the tip but it just wouldn't catch the thread anymore. I managed to screw it in after like 30 mins of frustrated attempts...
My theory is that they probably made people preorder the trucks to pump some money into the production, ordered that batch of nuts, the nuts kinda worked but not really, then the promised date got too close and they didn't had time for a plan B action, people were getting anxious and they panicked, so they stuck with it and prayed that they would work and people wouldn't complain. Making a proto that works well is fairly easy to control, it's down the production line that things can get tricky when you're mass producing.
Total speculation but that's kind of how I see that could've happened.

Also on the price topic, I actually heard they make a really low margin in those trucks cause the process of reocasting is really pricey and 90$ is the lowest they could go to make it sustainable business wise, at least at the business scale it is at the moment. That's why for now they only sell it online, straight to the consumer. Maybe if they scale up production they can sell it through skate shops and make a lower cut, but quantity will balance out their profit margin.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #979 on: January 18, 2022, 12:26:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Im kinda with you here. Im disappointed about the defects and i agree that at that price they should have focused more intensely on testing and quality control. That said i generally like how they function and they've been sending replacement parts every time i ask and I've been able to fix the problems ive had so far. Id rather just see it through at this point than give up and go back to my old trucks

NE SEctor

• Rep: -22
« Reply #980 on: January 18, 2022, 05:07:38 PM »
Just got my tracking number for these gonna see them soon, anybody in the colder climates have trouble breaking these in?? Im worried about how 20 degree F may affect these

slothrop

• Rep: 13
« Reply #981 on: January 18, 2022, 08:56:36 PM »
Anyone in AU get these (or specifically 144mm) ? how long did it take? getting stir crazy seeing that UPS label created tracking status every day. suprised they havent started just sending out the standard pin with all order atm.

So before he woke up, I shaved off my eyebrows, too. That way, whenever he woke up the next day, he’d probably say something like, “Hey, you don’t have any eyebrows!”
“Neither do you.”
That w

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #982 on: January 18, 2022, 11:19:40 PM »
Put on my non inverted kingpins today. I'm no mechanic and don't have a clamp or anything so not sure if I did it correct but it was very easy with a hammer.

The kingpin is kinda free unless your truck is fully tightened down which could make switching bushings and tinkering a little trickier. Skating it feels good so far, didn't notice any loosening at all though that was never a big issue for me (until I accidentally stripped the inverted kingpin nut trying to adjust one time).

The nylock on the nut doesn't look great, no issues though and hoping that grinding on the kingpin/nut won't mess with it. I wanted to put a standard wheel axle nut on but they're a little shorter than the lurpiv nuts and having a standard nut flush would have made the trucks slightly wobbly loose, too loose for me and I hate having threads showing.

There is clearance, but less than with the inverted pins. Worse compared to my venture setup. I've grinded these trucks down a little bit, but shouldn't be enough to affect kingpin clearance, its been just over a month. Attached some pics (that are definitely affected by camera distortion) for clearance reference, stock lurpiv nut flush with non inverted kingpin:

Some other notes:

I've gone back primarily skating my venture setup. Despite the fact that these are more fun to skate, I skate the same 4 ledge spots 80% of the time, and my harder grinds/slides are just a bit more consistent on ventures. My slightly bigger lurpiv setup is now for when I skate more all round street, or curbs. I like the lurpivs more for slappies, something about the geometry makes getting into slappies a bit easier than on my ventures.

As you may be able to see in the pics, the pivot cup hole is starting to oval out from doing a lot of slides on rough concrete ledges and wearing out the baseplate. Probably not worth being concerned over as it happens pretty quickly on all my trucks, and I don't think I never notice it affecting anything, but if that happens to you and it bothers you then maybe something worth considering.

instagram.com/p/CY0BzaRvpx7/ came across this guy on ig who also seems to agree that the baseplate wears down kinda fast from nose/tailslides relative to the hanger.

The pinch is very good, slightly different to ventures but easily on par in my opinion. Found this a bit surprising since they're a turny, tall truck with a relatively shorter wb and I don't really like the pinch on indys or aces.

The non inverted kingpin will likely touch if you dip your smiths on rougher ledges. Though to be fair, even the inverted kingpin hung up on smiths on concrete ledges sometimes for me (somewhat aggressively since the metal is hard and the edges are very sharp). Normally this isn't the biggest problem with most trucks since the kingpin nut gets ground down at an angle and will stop catching but I'm not sure how thats going to work with the slightly smaller nut and the slightly exposed nylock. Time will tell I guess.

Still a great feeling truck that skates very good, even for someone who comes from very different trucks. There are definitely issues that you may possibly have to deal with, no dealbreakers for me but totally understand that for many they are. I'm sure future iterations will address them. I'm looking forward to it as I'd prefer these over indy/ace and probably even thunder any day.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 02:28:54 PM by tzhangdox »

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #983 on: January 19, 2022, 02:14:07 AM »
Anyone in AU get these (or specifically 144mm) ? how long did it take? getting stir crazy seeing that UPS label created tracking status every day. suprised they havent started just sending out the standard pin with all order atm.

took me about 2 1/2 months to NZ. but thats probably an anomaly as it actually took so long that the postage carrier shut down the tracking number and declared them as lost, I got sent a replacement set which took about a month.
I would consider that a win if my first set didn't have kingpin wobble and is starting to look bent.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #984 on: January 19, 2022, 01:39:51 PM »
After a good month and a half on these, I will say that I think these trucks are designed to be run cranked down as tight as the kingpin will go. For one, that's the only way (for me at least) where the hanger doesn't wobble around in the pivot cup and the kingpin doesn't rattle side to side from turning. If I have my board at my usual looseness and throw down, the trucks sound like dropping a bag of loose metal on the ground. The sound can be overlooked but the thought of the truck falling apart while skating definitely hinders my confidence. If you like having the ace like freedom of turn, these ain't it. They do have a deep full turn for a tightened down truck though and I enjoy the grind a lot.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #985 on: January 19, 2022, 01:56:00 PM »
After a good month and a half on these, I will say that I think these trucks are designed to be run cranked down as tight as the kingpin will go. For one, that's the only way (for me at least) where the hanger doesn't wobble around in the pivot cup and the kingpin doesn't rattle side to side from turning. If I have my board at my usual looseness and throw down, the trucks sound like dropping a bag of loose metal on the ground. The sound can be overlooked but the thought of the truck falling apart while skating definitely hinders my confidence. If you like having the ace like freedom of turn, these ain't it. They do have a deep full turn for a tightened down truck though and I enjoy the grind a lot.

I kinda know what you mean, especially because of the thought of the truck falling apart, but have you tried the non inverted kingpins if you got them? I'm running mine with the well broken in stock bushings, nut flush and its very surfy loose, a good amount looser than I usually ride and it doesn't have the wobble/rattle at all. Could also tighten them down and get the feel that you're describing.

Maybe an option to get that freedom of turn would be to run softer bushings and crank it down as you would. Though not sure what bushings would be ideal for that. Probably some sort of indy aftermarket is my guess.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #986 on: January 19, 2022, 02:06:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I kinda know what you mean, especially because of the thought of the truck falling apart, but have you tried the non inverted kingpins if you got them? I'm running mine with the well broken in stock bushings, nut flush and its very surfy loose, a good amount looser than I usually ride and it doesn't have the wobble/rattle at all. Could also tighten them down and get the feel that you're describing.

Maybe an option to get that freedom of turn would be to run softer bushings and crank it down as you would. Though not sure what bushings would be ideal for that. Probably some sort of indy aftermarket is my guess.
Thanks for the tip. I received the non inverted kingpins and might give em a go at some point. Right now, I'm just in a phase where I can't be bothered to put them in. If I got these a few months ago, I prob would have been down for experiments and what not but right now I just want to stick with my configuration and just get used to it haha.

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #987 on: January 21, 2022, 03:53:10 AM »
pontus just posted the 159s on his story. there seems to a resolution for the kingpin shit

https://imgur.com/gallery/Uo1r1rW

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
« Reply #988 on: January 21, 2022, 03:56:00 AM »
pontus just posted the 159s on his story. there seems to a resolution for the kingpin shit

https://imgur.com/gallery/Uo1r1rW
Are those axle nuts what they normally have?

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #989 on: January 21, 2022, 04:29:36 AM »
That extra allen bolt is such a bad idea.