Author Topic: requeiem for the passenger pigeon  (Read 808 times)

shark tits

requeiem for the passenger pigeon
« on: January 10, 2015, 06:29:12 PM »
seems like such a neat animal that is sadly no more. a more urbane cousin of the common pigeon we take for granted today. they talk about bringing the species back, jurassic park style but i doubt it will happen. also, not saying we learned our lesson from this but it seems to me more dangerous to think that if we genocide something we can just have scientists bring it back. not too long ago [in the history of the world] it must've seemed inconceivable to think the bird accounting for 25% of air traffic would be no more. goodbye, sweet pigeon. you still darken the skies in my sleeping mind.

Kolostrum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
Re: requeiem for the passenger pigeon
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 08:23:08 PM »
Damn, just read on wikipedia that one family killed 4,000 of these little guys in one day just to make a feather bed. If anything needs genocide, its the human race  :'(

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 04:20:39 AM »
Sad. Humans are the cancer of earth.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 04:42:00 AM »
saw a really great piece about that when i was 17, i was heartbroken. so sad.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 196
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 09:02:20 AM »

I caught this documentary on public television not too long ago. It was a pretty interesting watch.

shark tits

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 01:40:19 PM »
gnar'd ya'll. i'm a fan of modern pigeons and like to watch them fly in formation but the passenger pigeons must've been truly majestic! i don't agree w/ bringing them back but if it happens i can't lie, i would be delighted to see a murder of them pass overhead like a thundercloud. is murder the right word? gaggle? flock?
for anyways, the idea we can re-animate extinct animals could lead to some really irresponsible behavior but if anything is deserving of another chance it would be them [followed closely by giant vegetarian dinosaurs]. we humans may be 1000 or so years immature for something of that nature so maybe they should hold off til we get our collective shit together a bit more. i have faith in humanity, not in my lifetime but we'll evolve to cooperation and friendship if we don't blow ourselves up/drown ourselves or fuck up the oxygen levels in the air to uninhabitable levels.

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 09:09:31 PM »
Interesting read. It must have been amazing to see that many birds at once.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America