Author Topic: Ever get arch pain in your pushing foot? Insoles? Shoes?  (Read 5292 times)

formeitscrazylike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Ever get arch pain in your pushing foot? Insoles? Shoes?
« on: October 25, 2012, 03:42:36 PM »
LAtely I've had bad arch pain in my pushing foot and I dunno if it's just me or it's the shoes. Skating these flaccid thin vans, so I'm hoping it's just the thin sole. Anyone ever have this and try insoles? Thinking about those water inject shits or the etcetera Ronnie Creager insoles, is that just for impact protection though? I definitely don't do high-impact skating, ever. So I don't wanna piss away the money on some insoles that aren't gonna help me at all.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
    • Fotos avatar image
Re: Ever get arch pain in your pushing foot? Insoles? Shoes?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 03:47:19 PM »
I have the same problem. There are some exercises you can do and there are medical insoles you can use. If you seriously want to solve the problem go see an Orthopedic.

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:52:07 PM »
What exercises? Tried putting a skateboard upside down on the floor and then taking my shoe off and just rolling my arch on the wheel to massage it, I was told it's helpful, I have my doubts tho.

dillanharp

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 04:03:59 PM »
Sounds like a stress fracture. I used to get them all the time when I would go on super long hikes. Take it easy for a few days, and insoles with the arch support help. Even just Dr. Scholls. I have a pair of Remind Medics in my Lakai Carlos, so far so good.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 04:11:28 PM »
i had the sameproblem, my arch was too low. go see an orthopedic, i got some specialmade insoles now (kinda like forrest gump). it was akward wearing them while skating first so i didn't use them for afew months but the pain kept growing. so one day i decided to get rid of all the other insoles in my skateshoes and by that force myself to wear the orthopedics. now my feet feel better than ever and i cannot skate with anything else.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:16:21 PM by pica »

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 04:19:38 PM »
I got orthodics when I had a job where I was standing for 15 hours, I went from having crazy back pain to feeling none at all. I'd never wear them skating though, way too stiff and they would have zero boardfeel.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 04:36:21 PM »
Don't think it's a stress fracture cause I can jump on it just fine. Skated a high box the last few times I've gone skating and the only pain is pushing. I can come down off a ~2 foot box and it doesn't hurt at all. If it was a fracture I don't think that would be possible to not feel.

Insurance is somewhat non-existent right now... so orthopedic doctor isn't really an option. It's interesting that your arch was too low though, cause mine is mad high, always had odd issues with it. When I used to run I would get a sharp pain in my arch sometimes, and my achilles would always get mad tight after a serious run. That information isn't really pertinent, but anyways, gonna try those water shits once I get the money.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
http://footprint.bigcartel.com/product/kingfoam-custom-orthotics

these sound perfect for you. its not stiff and uncomfortable like a doctor's orthotic, but a little more cushy

Mad Lauder

• Rep: 37
  • RIP SLIM DUNKIN
    • THEWORST avatar image
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 08:52:06 PM »
so when you like "flex " your foot does it hurt?
cause if so we both might have the same problem.
cause i can skate and walk just fine it just hurts sometimes.
mine started this summer.
I had went from skating these really flat vulcs to cupsoles with arch support.
Then I spraind my ankle but after my ankle was all good my arch was hurting like fuck.
but i took a break for a good 2 weeks and it was good.
but i sprained it last month and the pain came back.
but this isnt my pushing foot tho.
but the point im tryin to make is just stay off it for a couple weeks and ice it everyday.
I dont recall ever putting on anything Southpole in my life.
http://soundcloud.com/theworst

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 09:35:13 PM »
No, flexing foot muscles doesn't hurt. It's really only when I'm on the ball of my foot pushing backwards.

Thinking maybe it's cause I didn't get to skate much at all all summer, then started skating as much as possible in the fall. Maybe the muscles atrophied and now can't handle the volume of pushing being done these days. But yeah, looked at those insoles, may have to give them a go.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 10:03:09 PM »
I have mad high footarch too, it restarts to hurt since my last sesh 2 days ago, ice baths make it feel better.
i got arch pain on both feet a year 1/2 ago, went to an osteopath that made the pain disapear like magic
have you ever try that ?

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 01:06:46 AM »
The doctor told me to pile up some socks and then to use my foot kind of like a hand (clamp the sock under the toes) and to move the socks about three feet to the left and to do that with the whole pile. I was supposed to do that for ten minutes every day with each foot.

Mad Lauder

• RIP SLIM DUNKIN
    • THEWORST avatar image
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 09:01:48 AM »
Expand Quote
so when you like "flex " your foot does it hurt?
cause if so we both might have the same problem.
cause i can skate and walk just fine it just hurts sometimes.
mine started this summer.
I had went from skating these really flat vulcs to cupsoles with arch support.
Then I spraind my ankle but after my ankle was all good my arch was hurting like fuck.
but i took a break for a good 2 weeks and it was good.
but i sprained it last month and the pain came back.
but this isnt my pushing foot tho.
but the point im tryin to make is just stay off it for a couple weeks and ice it everyday.
[close]

I got this same pain, but I think it's finally going away. Does it feel like it almost goes right through the middle of your foot? Especially when flexing? It's definitely not a stress fracture if it's the same as mine.

I wouldn't say the middle of my foot just mostly the arch.
And its mad stiff and sore when I wake up after skating.
But i should also mention that i have very flat ass feet.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 12:28:37 PM »
I have mad high footarch too, it restarts to hurt since my last sesh 2 days ago, ice baths make it feel better.
i got arch pain on both feet a year 1/2 ago, went to an osteopath that made the pain disapear like magic
have you ever try that ?
i was wrong, it's not my arch that aches, it's my heel, probably a primo hit or used shoes fault, osteopathy definitely fixed the arch pain,give it a try

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 11:05:34 PM »
Sof sole has these black carbonie fibre orthotic things that work good.  Massage it out w. a tennis ball...and use your hands to crunch your toes.  The other idea is work on your switch push....it could always be better...

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 10:28:21 AM »
yeah i get these sharp weird pains only when i push sometimes im glad im not the only one cause i've tried explaining it to my friends and they just dont undersantasd

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 10:35:41 AM »
In 20 years we'll uncover hidden reports that the industry giants tried to hide about the large number of skateboarders who crippled themselves after jumping down stairs in slipons.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 12:10:03 PM »
A lot of you guys sound like you might have acute, overuse induced plantar fasciitis based on the fact that it doesn't sound impact related and sounds more like a strain.  Especially the guys who just have it in their pushing foot and if it gets aggravated by skating and makes it hard to walk but then starts to go away until the next time you skate then I would bet that's what it is.

I got an acute case of it a while back after ramping up my skating a ton after some time off.  You really need to rest it for it heal but mine healed fast and went away permanently and I still skated with the one of the following two regimes:

Regimen A:
1.  Tape the bottom of your pushing foot with the method that athletic trainers suggest for plantar fasciitis before you go skate.  If you have a bad case then keep it taped anytime you are walking in it.  The tape takes the strain off of the tendon and helps it heal and keep it from getting aggravated further.  You'll know pretty quickly whether this is going to work or not.  Here is the way to do it...

2.  After you skate take 2-4 Ibuprofen, wrap your foot tightly with an ace bandage and ice the bottom of it for 30 minutes.  Try to keep it elevated.
3.  Take it easy and if you skate on it and it gets worse than it's been before then take the next day or so off.
4.  Continue this until you can skate for a few hours and not feel any pain afterwards.

Regimen B:
1.  Stop skating for 8-12 weeks.
2.  Invest in a high speed internet connection.
3.  Invest in a lot of booze.
4.  Sit around getting drunk and masturbating for the entire 8-12 weeks.
5.  Start skating again with  "Regimen A" after your healed foot starts to get aggravated again because it's not use to the strain after not having been used for anything other then holding the door next to your computer shut for 8-12 weeks.

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »
i think maybe i have something up with my right foot arch... usually when i walk for extended periods time (30mins+) the arch really starts to ache and feel strained every time i push off my step. i think it happens more when i wear flat soled shoes rather than healed ones, but i could be misremembering. not really noticed anything skating (im goofy so that foot is on the board anyway..) but have been meaning to check it out for a few years... maybe i should buy some orthotics or ask a doc

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 07:25:31 PM »
A lot of you guys sound like you might have acute, overuse induced plantar fasciitis based on the fact that it doesn't sound impact related and sounds more like a strain.  Especially the guys who just have it in their pushing foot and if it gets aggravated by skating and makes it hard to walk but then starts to go away until the next time you skate then I would bet that's what it is.

I got an acute case of it a while back after ramping up my skating a ton after some time off.  You really need to rest it for it heal but mine healed fast and went away permanently and I still skated with the one of the following two regimes:

Regimen A:
1.  Tape the bottom of your pushing foot with the method that athletic trainers suggest for plantar fasciitis before you go skate.  If you have a bad case then keep it taped anytime you are walking in it.  The tape takes the strain off of the tendon and helps it heal and keep it from getting aggravated further.  You'll know pretty quickly whether this is going to w
3.  Take it easy and if you skate on it and it gets worse than it's been before then take the next day or so off.
4.  Continue this until you can skate for a few hours and not feel any pain afterwards.

Regimen B:
1.  Stop skating for 8-12 weeks.
2.  Invest in a high speed internet connection.
3.  Invest in a lot of booze.
4.  Sit around getting drunk and masturbating for the entire 8-12 weeks.
5.  Start skating again with  "Regimen A" after your healed foot starts to get aggravated again because it's not use to the strain after not having been used for anything other then holding the door next to your computer shut for 8-12 weeks.

This is ecaxtly what I was looking for

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 12:00:50 PM »
yeah it sounds like plantar fasciitis, i'm just about over a bout with it, which i've had since last may.  i haven't skated since, it's aggravates the shit out of it, but like clamy said, orthotics can really fuck your feet up, one of the reasons my feet are taking so long to heal.  take a few weeks of skating, stretch a lot, ice it, roll out your arch with a tennis ball, acupuncture really helped me.  but most importantly, when it feels all healed up or normal again, stay off it another week.  with plantar fasciitis it feels better before it's completely healed, and if you fuck it up again, you're guaranteed to be out longer then the first time. 

Mad Lauder

• RIP SLIM DUNKIN
    • THEWORST avatar image
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 03:30:20 PM »
ay i feel you gnarwhal.
but ive been restin my foot since late october.
its drivin me crazy especially since i got alot of stress cause of school and skatin relives all that stress.
and the whether is real fuckin good for winter.
this is all the stuff i been doin:
ive been icing it with a water bottle.
and i just started massaging my foot with this rubber ball (like the ones kids get in the quarter machines).
its about the size of a golfball.
i feel like its really helping.
im also doin alot of stretches all the time
also i read somewhere that it helps to put your shoes on before you take your first steps in the morning.

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 04:46:53 PM »
just watch out though, i was doing the same stuff thinking i'd be good, and now i've hurt it even worse and haven't been able to skate since last may.  be careful, you don't wanna be out longer because of some stupid shit

Mad Lauder

• RIP SLIM DUNKIN
    • THEWORST avatar image
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 08:07:12 PM »
wait what do you mean stupid shit?
like skating before its 100?

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 08:12:10 AM »
let me rephrase it, i was basically in the same position as you, thinking i could push it and it wouldn't have any repercussions, but it's a such a rapid development that i feel it's a lot more worth it to just take the few weeks or a month off now, compared to 7 months and counting that i've been out