Author Topic: The Injury Thread  (Read 47892 times)

LeDave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
Re: The Injury Thread
« Reply #660 on: March 04, 2024, 08:47:45 AM »
Expand Quote
I've broken a lot of things throughout my life.

Torn aorta, fractured left and right wrists, fractured left hand, fractured left knee, fractured elbow, torn stomach, bilateral collapse lungs, traumatic brain injury, brain hemorrhage, benign brain tumor and jaw fractures.

These are non-skating related but I did break my left knee from skiing. I have a patch over my aorta now and some hardware on my wrists, hands, knees, and elbow.

A lot of these injuries happened when I was in the Marines back when I was 19.
[close]

Thank you for your service 🫡

Thank you!

GrailleArmy

• Rep: 3
« Reply #661 on: March 07, 2024, 06:51:52 AM »
Anyone familiar with ankle ligament repair? My right ankle keeps popping (peroneal subluxation) because I tore my peroneus brevis ligament. Doctor recommends surgery. Has anyone had this surgery done? What was return to skating like? I messaged doctor Kyle Brown on IG and no response :/ it's not painful but sometimes aches and the popping is annoying and weird to balance on.

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #662 on: March 07, 2024, 09:27:41 AM »
Pulled something in my chest, hurts like hell to cough or sneeze and definitely can't skate.  Weirdest injury of my 30s so far. I feel like it happened in my sleep but seems to be getting better after a couple days.  Can't wait to skate though
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #663 on: March 07, 2024, 10:28:40 AM »
Pulled something in my chest, hurts like hell to cough or sneeze and definitely can't skate.  Weirdest injury of my 30s so far. I feel like it happened in my sleep but seems to be getting better after a couple days.  Can't wait to skate though

I had something similar a few weeks ago. I think it came from my shoulders. And maybe a bit too much coffee.

Heal up ya all pals
IG: @flowterspace

9inchdeck

• Rep: -18
« Reply #664 on: March 08, 2024, 01:09:19 AM »
I have a partially torn ACL in my right knee. The doctor just recommended physical therapy so I was doing that strengthening it back up and it was starting to feel better. I went to swampfest and broke my ankle on the same leg though. I tore several ligaments and they had to put a plate and a couple of screws in my ankle. This is a massive setback for me as I’m gonna have to rehab my ankle and knee at the same time. I’m trying to stay motivated though. Has anyone else gotten a plate and screws in their ankle and gotten back on the board in here? I’m not even 30 yet but it feels like I’m getting towards the end of my skating career

DeadSquidMask

• Rep: 8
« Reply #665 on: March 08, 2024, 04:55:47 AM »
I have a partially torn ACL in my right knee. The doctor just recommended physical therapy so I was doing that strengthening it back up and it was starting to feel better. I went to swampfest and broke my ankle on the same leg though. I tore several ligaments and they had to put a plate and a couple of screws in my ankle. This is a massive setback for me as I’m gonna have to rehab my ankle and knee at the same time. I’m trying to stay motivated though. Has anyone else gotten a plate and screws in their ankle and gotten back on the board in here? I’m not even 30 yet but it feels like I’m getting towards the end of my skating career

It’s going to be ok! I haven’t had the plates in the ankle, but I’ve had so many torn ligaments, including acl.

And the worst part is that you are absolutely bound to re-injure something during your comeback. Its very very common, the atrophy on the surrounding muscles is real and must be built back up, or new injuries will keep popping up.

It’s so depressing, but the statistics are clear, re-injuries are commonplace when getting back from a big one.

Just try to keep the booze and nicotine to a minimum for 12 weeks or so.  Lots and lots of water, focus on the rehab during the period they say, and you will absolutely be able to keep skating and improving for years.

Don’t give it up, we are all absolutely fucked once we give up this thing we love 🤪. Without skating, chemical dependence and drunken self-harm are always lurking around the corner.

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #666 on: March 08, 2024, 08:47:10 AM »

You'll be fine man (look at my username) I have a plate and 6 screws in my right ankle and have rolled my left ankle a number of times. I do PT 2-3 times a week religiously though. I feel pretty confident on my board. If anything the injuries helped change my mindset on skating on when to go hard and when to know "Hey today needs to be a chill have fun day" My ankles will never be 100% and they will forever bother me but quitting skating isnt an option.

Worst case you cant skate stairs / hand rails but knowing that theres other forms of more mellow skating (manny, tranny) brings me a peace of mind knowing I can skate forever no matter what injuries you have!

LeDave

• Rep: -7
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #667 on: March 08, 2024, 09:01:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You'll be fine man (look at my username) I have a plate and 6 screws in my right ankle and have rolled my left ankle a number of times. I do PT 2-3 times a week religiously though. I feel pretty confident on my board. If anything the injuries helped change my mindset on skating on when to go hard and when to know "Hey today needs to be a chill have fun day" My ankles will never be 100% and they will forever bother me but quitting skating isnt an option.

Worst case you cant skate stairs / hand rails but knowing that theres other forms of more mellow skating (manny, tranny) brings me a peace of mind knowing I can skate forever no matter what injuries you have!

I agree! Dont let your bad injury prevent you from skating again. Heres a pic of all the hardware in my left leg.

9inchdeck

« Reply #668 on: March 08, 2024, 10:18:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s going to be ok! I haven’t had the plates in the ankle, but I’ve had so many torn ligaments, including acl.

And the worst part is that you are absolutely bound to re-injure something during your comeback. Its very very common, the atrophy on the surrounding muscles is real and must be built back up, or new injuries will keep popping up.

It’s so depressing, but the statistics are clear, re-injuries are commonplace when getting back from a big one.

Just try to keep the booze and nicotine to a minimum for 12 weeks or so.  Lots and lots of water, focus on the rehab during the period they say, and you will absolutely be able to keep skating and improving for years.

Don’t give it up, we are all absolutely fucked once we give up this thing we love 🤪. Without skating, chemical dependence and drunken self-harm are always lurking around the corner.

Thanks man. I haven’t drank since the night I broke my ankle which was about 3 weeks ago and I’m in the process of giving up nicotine too. Shit’s just hard. I agree though man. Skateboarding has just about shaped my entire life, from the friends I have to the music I listen to and so on. The thought of having to stop definitely triggers feelings of identity crisis. I’m gonna take the rehab process slow and steady

9inchdeck

« Reply #669 on: March 08, 2024, 10:27:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I agree! Dont let your bad injury prevent you from skating again. Heres a pic of all the hardware in my left leg.

MetalAnkleMan, the username really checks out. Shit made me smile man thank you so much. Before all of this happened I was already starting to phase out of taking impact. The knees just can’t handle it like they used to and I’m sure we can all relate to that. I’m just hoping I’ll be able to get my flip tricks back. I didn’t know if the plate would restrict any range of motion or anything like that. I’ve got my follow up appointment with the surgeon on Monday and will ask him about it. But even if I have to stick to slappies and transition I’ll be happy.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #670 on: March 09, 2024, 04:35:30 AM »
@9inchdeck I did my right lower leg/ ankle when I was 18 (a long time ago) and I still skate at 45.
More than muscles strength, it's really about getting your circulation back in the beginning (or at least it was for me).
Range of motion basically is -1 too so you're going to need to lots of mobility and strengthening exercises. Twas a lot of swimming and yoga for me once I was walking again.

My significant other is really into ice skating (and just had a similar injury actually), but this Youtuber she watches was talking a lot about being an athlete first, and an ice skater second. That statement should ring true for us skaters too I think; all of the work I do off the board is so that I can feel comfortable/ confident ON the board.
Overall though, the hardest thing to get back is your confidence imho. Don't be hard on yourself and take it really really slowly, a lot slower than you think!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1613
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #671 on: March 25, 2024, 06:06:01 PM »
I'm finally starting to take ankle rehab seriously. I have hardware in my left ankle (I'm regular) from a break/surgery in 2019.  I recently got one of these things and it was interesting using it today for the first time. I just stood on it and the stretching feeling made it evident how tight my calves are. In fact, the stretching sensation so far was so intense that was all I did.

I will report back in a few weeks on how it works.

https://exercisebob.com/how-to-use/
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #672 on: March 27, 2024, 01:37:05 AM »
Reviving this thread (sadly) since I got a lovely sprained ankle while fucking trekking so that means I have way too much time on my hands now.
On Saturday it will be 3 weeks and I'm totally losing it. I've been doing physio exercises, riding bike, doing "salmueras" (idk the name in English for having hot water with thick sea salt, a classic southamerican thing to do) and ofc good ole ibuprofen.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #673 on: March 27, 2024, 01:37:32 PM »
I snapped my ankle almost exactly two years ago. Have all the hardware in my left ankle. I was back skating around in a little under 4 months. By 6 months I was back to actually trying to do tricks again other than some shuv its and basic grinds. After about a year I was skating just fine, but it would swell up a bit here and there if I had a longer session. I don't even notice it anymore now after 2 years, almost as if it never even happened. GO TO PT. It helps a ton, I did it for a few months and honestly wish I had stuck with it a little while longer.

alcol

• Rep: 2
« Reply #674 on: March 27, 2024, 07:33:55 PM »
I got a partial tear (grade 2) on my MCL two and a half months ago. Doctor told me it would take a month to heal but it's taking way longer to feel normal. I can walk without a knee brace now but it still hurts when I move my leg sideways. I haven't even tried to step on my board since my accident. My whole leg feels so weak! For those who have been through the recovery process, how long did it take to get a full recovery?  Any particular tips to speed it up?   
I'm a be on here until niggas start posting about my celebrity-skateboarder lifestyle exploits ala Lil Wayne.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #675 on: March 27, 2024, 10:18:12 PM »
nothing too serious really - i had my first hillbomb fall today. i have skated some pretty gnarly hills and I have never really fallen...

i was about 3/4 of the way down on this one today - i actually thought i was good to go, i think i just hit a bit of loose bitumen/asphalt and fully lost traction. i walked back up and did it on the second go (definitely did one or two too many speed checks on the second go, wasn't anywhere near as fast/fun).

i went to lean back and fall on just my right side but the speed made me roll over as I hit the ground so now i have a good hole in my right palm, grazed my left elbow/forearm, a weird bloody scrape on my right kneecap and  a bruise/rip on my left hip (like on the sticky out top bit of the pelvis). it was fun, but i'm pretty uncomfortable in pants now hahaha.

and now i am rolling a doobie to take the edge off. thanks for listening
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #676 on: April 24, 2024, 12:54:18 AM »
I just recently fucked up my shit in my ankle like two weeks ago. Dislocated that bitch and fractured my fibula which is gonna need a plate and screws.

Luckily I can still do my job (at reduced hours) but it's real strange to be in this scenario.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 01:13:36 AM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #677 on: April 24, 2024, 01:30:00 AM »
I just recently fucked up my shit in my ankle like two weeks ago. Dislocated that bitch and fractured my fibula which is gonna need a plate and screws.

Luckily I can still do my job (at reduced hours) but it's real strange to be in this scenario.

oh man. wishing you a good recovery and surgery. I had the exact same injury about 11 years ago (except I also broke my forearm at the same time....). That fall took me out for a good 6 to 7 years, just shattered my confidence. My kids were small and I did not want to take risks anymore.
But I came back....and I'm still skating! In any case your road to recovery might be much quicker, but it's still a long road through physio/rehab and all. so merde to you! (in France we say 'shit' to wish good luck, as saying good luck is supposed to bring bad luck   :P  )

pops

• Rep: 246
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #678 on: May 03, 2024, 10:57:07 AM »
Ankle impingement is killing me. I have it both on the front and back of my ankle joint. I took off from sports for three months basically just doing exercise and it didn't hurt. Whenever I run/jog or skate it flares up and hurts to walk and put full weight on it. Usually eases up after walking for a bit but feels achy for days. Im not really into surgery rn. My other ankle needed two surgeries already and while it feel pretty good I got super anxious to get another one.