Author Topic: skatepart stats  (Read 1297 times)

slop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
skatepart stats
« on: February 05, 2019, 06:39:19 AM »
So Gideon Choi and Watson did some of this, and did it really well, but i'm still keen to have my go.
Mostly 'cos its a good reason to rewatch all my favourite parts, and also to help myself bump up my illustrator skills.
Starting a new thread so as not to ride their shit too directly. if youre into it check these though:

http://youwillsoon.blogspot.com/2008/04/fully-flared-statistical-analysis.html
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=102998.0
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88907.0

Full infographics coming later at some point, just decided to post the bits i like best as an insta page @7layersofply Anyone wanna guess the skater for this straight off the bat?

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: skatepart stats
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 07:04:06 AM »
penny?

slop

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 07:14:20 AM »
full points

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 728
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 07:19:17 AM »
This ain’t it
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 468
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 07:28:05 AM »
As a spreadsheet nerd, I welcome any statistical analysis of skateboard videos. I know this kind of cold data interpretation is not for most people, but some folks love it and it is pretty much the only thing that makes baseball pleasurable cause, unlike skating, the watching the game itself is boring.

I'm a bit more interested in some of the peripheral nonsense in skate videos rather than simply compiling tricks. Things like number of fist bumps, percentage of footage time dedicated to hill bombing after a trick, slow motion ration, percentage of footage from Spain, etc.

Then, head back deep into the skate video vault to see how trends in the ratios of some of these stats changes over time.

Also, some good infographics to present these statistical findings might spice it up.

Youwillsoon did some good stuff.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 07:30:23 AM »
SS Flip?

Reported

moneen

• Rep: -41
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 07:35:39 AM »
"...Of course, as with any study, there are a few anomalies. Jeff Lenoce and Marc Johnson's sections have a relatively low amount of slow motion compared to a much lower level of enjoyment for their sections.

This can most likely be attributed to the fact that Jeff Lenoce blows dong, while Marc Johnson's section is way too goddamned fucking long."

A+

slop

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 07:47:10 AM »
As a spreadsheet nerd, I welcome any statistical analysis of skateboard videos. I know this kind of cold data interpretation is not for most people, but some folks love it and it is pretty much the only thing that makes baseball pleasurable cause, unlike skating, the watching the game itself is boring.

I'm a bit more interested in some of the peripheral nonsense in skate videos rather than simply compiling tricks. Things like number of fist bumps, percentage of footage time dedicated to hill bombing after a trick, slow motion ration, percentage of footage from Spain, etc.

Then, head back deep into the skate video vault to see how trends in the ratios of some of these stats changes over time.

Also, some good infographics to present these statistical findings might spice it up.

Youwillsoon did some good stuff.

Yeah, thanks for the the advice.
I'm hoping to focus on some more obscure stats with the next few. Intending to vary whats presented part to part. This one might not be the best example, but i thought looking at the regularity of the classic "penny tricks" was interesting.
youwillsoon stuff is rad.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 10:05:10 AM »

Yeah, thanks for the the advice.
I'm hoping to
focus on some more obscure stats with the next few. Intending to vary whats presented part to part. This one might not be the best example, but i thought looking at the regularity of the classic "penny tricks" was interesting.
youwillsoon stuff is rad.

[/quote]