Author Topic: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie  (Read 29847 times)

Idk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
Re: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2021, 11:52:46 AM »
His mom works in the movie industry. Obviously the only reason Jonah got into the movie industry is because of his mommy but the reason he stayed is because he has talent. 

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2021, 11:54:03 AM »
that's it it's time to put him in corny jail

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2021, 12:01:01 PM »

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2021, 12:05:05 PM »
His mom works in the movie industry. Obviously the only reason Jonah got into the movie industry is because of his mommy but the reason he stayed is because he has talent.

Slap loves to hate on Jonah but mid 90’s was a really successful movie. I remember me and the crew watching it in theaters and it was packed and stayed there for a good 3 weeks which is rare. We didn’t think much of it but the cinematography was at least decent. Jonah is also a genuinely good actor, his perfomances in war dogs and Maniac are simply brilliant. I also feel like he gets a bad rap for « cashing in » even though he’s been in the culture since he was a little kid so yeah putting whoever the fuck the blodney clone is on jonah’s level is unfair and an insult to Jonah. Still waiting on that kickflip footy though

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2021, 12:45:58 PM »
We didn’t think much of it but the cinematography was at least decent.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2021, 12:58:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey anyone got any more info on this Jonah Hill/Spike Jonze beef? I can't seem to find any info on either of their wikipedia pages. In fact, Mikey Alfred isn't mentioned on their wikipedias at all?!
[close]

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2019/10/mid90s-illegal-civ-mikey-alfred-jonah-hill-spike-jonze-not-fans

"That's a long story"

Sounds like some buster shit. I could only listen to this guy talk for, like, two minutes.

Edit: that doritos vid is hilarious. And his use of the word "apex" lol. I still kind of wish I'd never heard of him though.
[close]

Many that's shitty, I knew he was involved in Mid 90's from a production standpoint and definitely assumed Jonah brought him on basically to help him break into the industry (which if i remember correctly his mother works for a major studio and he got an internship at like 16 with one) but what a prick. Not to defend jonah hill but he definitely did not need to do this dude any favors by giving him an opportunity. As if anyone in this movie wouldn't have taken the opportunity without Mikey Alfraud (copyright pending) doing the casting.

Weirdest thing to me about that interview has always been that Big Boy was basically wrapping the whole thing up and Mikey was just like “how about another 5 minutes so I can call some dudes out because they are better than me at what I want to do.”

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2021, 01:29:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Slap loves to hate on Jonah but mid 90’s was a really successful movie. I remember me and the crew watching it in theaters and it was packed and stayed there for a good 3 weeks which is rare. We didn’t think much of it but the cinematography was at least decent. Jonah is also a genuinely good actor, his perfomances in war dogs and Maniac are simply brilliant. I also feel like he gets a bad rap for « cashing in » even though he’s been in the culture since he was a little kid so yeah putting whoever the fuck the blodney clone is on jonah’s level is unfair and an insult to Jonah. Still waiting on that kickflip footy though

Mid90s made just over $9M.  That’s not super successful.   It was successful only in the sense it gave Jonah a chance to direct his first feature and he made people’s money back.   

Mikey’s mom, if I recall, works in the industry in the sense she was Robert Evans’s housekeeper or assistant or something like that.   

Fred Galls Crack Pipe

• Rep: -7
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2021, 01:29:44 PM »
Expand Quote
The best movie about skateboarding is The Man Who Souled the World. The rest is garbage
[close]

Minding the Gap was good one as well imo

Lords of dogtown was sick idc
SHOUT OUT C MURDER

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2021, 01:39:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey anyone got any more info on this Jonah Hill/Spike Jonze beef? I can't seem to find any info on either of their wikipedia pages. In fact, Mikey Alfred isn't mentioned on their wikipedias at all?!
[close]

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2019/10/mid90s-illegal-civ-mikey-alfred-jonah-hill-spike-jonze-not-fans

"That's a long story"

Sounds like some buster shit. I could only listen to this guy talk for, like, two minutes.

Edit: that doritos vid is hilarious. And his use of the word "apex" lol. I still kind of wish I'd never heard of him though.
[close]

Many that's shitty, I knew he was involved in Mid 90's from a production standpoint and definitely assumed Jonah brought him on basically to help him break into the industry (which if i remember correctly his mother works for a major studio and he got an internship at like 16 with one) but what a prick. Not to defend jonah hill but he definitely did not need to do this dude any favors by giving him an opportunity. As if anyone in this movie wouldn't have taken the opportunity without Mikey Alfraud (copyright pending) doing the casting.
[close]

Weirdest thing to me about that interview has always been that Big Boy was basically wrapping the whole thing up and Mikey was just like “how about another 5 minutes so I can call some dudes out because they are better than me at what I want to do.”

lmao i saw that, the man's a shoe in for hater of the year
Suns out, im going skating. chow

BALAKOV

• Rep: 17
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2021, 01:43:54 PM »
did you not watch the trailer? what were you expecting?

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2021, 01:58:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Just going to repost this wonderful gem

[close]

Wow somehow we found a more insufferable human than blodney, impressive.
Lol coming soon: Mikey Alfred ASMR video
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2021, 02:03:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Slap loves to hate on Jonah but mid 90’s was a really successful movie. I remember me and the crew watching it in theaters and it was packed and stayed there for a good 3 weeks which is rare. We didn’t think much of it but the cinematography was at least decent. Jonah is also a genuinely good actor, his perfomances in war dogs and Maniac are simply brilliant. I also feel like he gets a bad rap for « cashing in » even though he’s been in the culture since he was a little kid so yeah putting whoever the fuck the blodney clone is on jonah’s level is unfair and an insult to Jonah. Still waiting on that kickflip footy though
[close]

Mid90s made just over $9M.  That’s not super successful.   It was successful only in the sense it gave Jonah a chance to direct his first feature and he made people’s money back.   

Mikey’s mom, if I recall, works in the industry in the sense she was Robert Evans’s housekeeper or assistant or something like that.

mid90s made 9mil off a budget of less than 2 million. This was a24 not disney

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2021, 02:19:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

A24 isn’t some mom and pop shop.  It was a relationship building move with little risk, but far from being “really successful”.  It’s great it didn’t lose money, but it was a modest niche film that did about what they expected.  Also, A24 is mainly a distribution company.  That’s the key thing North Hollywood didn’t have.  Means they didn’t necessarily put that money into the budget, so there’s no saying who all that money went to and in what order.   Also, Prints and Advertising is going to tack on a significant chunk of money to the budget cost, blah blah

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2021, 04:48:54 PM »
that's it it's time to put him in corny jail

Hefe43

• Rep: 175
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2021, 05:48:16 PM »

Corny about corn chips? Right to jail, right away.
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 150
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2021, 08:36:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mid 90s got me first interested in skateboarding. I'll probably never watch it again, being that I'm so engrossed in the culture now and I wouldn't want to see it butchered. But I can't believe I'm the only one this film had such an effect on. In that sense, regardless of Jonah's true ties to skateboarding or whether or not he can do a kickflip, he might've got some kids into skateboarding and shown mainstream audiences some semblance of what skateboarding in the 90s was like. I can respect him and the film for that; at the very least.

Mikey Alfred's kind of a kook though.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2021, 08:38:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Mid 90s got me first interested in skateboarding. I'll probably never watch it again, being that I'm so engrossed in the culture now and I wouldn't want to see it butchered. But I can't believe I'm the only one this film had such an effect on. In that sense, regardless of Jonah's true ties to skateboarding or whether or not he can do a kickflip, he might've got some kids into skateboarding and shown mainstream audiences some semblance of what skateboarding in the 90s was like. I can respect him and the film for that; at the very least.

As someone who's skated for almost 20 years and sucked ass for at least 12 of them, i liked mid 90s

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2021, 09:24:16 PM »
Mikey Alfred's kind of definitely a kook though.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Googan Christmas

• Rep: 25
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2021, 09:52:19 PM »
You dorks won’t like any skate movies ever.

Skateboarding is your thing and no one understands it the way you do.

Come to think of it, you should make a movie about skateboarding so people can relate and understand.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1310
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2021, 10:08:08 PM »

Come to think of it, you should make a movie about skateboarding so people can relate and understand.
Aaron Sorkin should adapt slap into a movie. Entire movie would be a handful of characters in front of their computers arguing over whether or not Zach Allen deserves to be sponsored and also which trucks have the longest wheelbase.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2021, 10:09:46 PM »

There's two that are already perfect, thrashin and machotaildrop

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -766
« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2021, 11:53:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Just going to repost this wonderful gem

[close]

Legit thought this was satire until like half way through the video. What an insufferable human being.

This CAN NOT be real?

Nathan Barley vibes.

Oh my god hahahahaha

And honestly.... I'm not a blodney fan really but I wouldn't insult him and compare him to this chump
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2021, 03:15:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah it definitely made bank

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2021, 08:14:43 AM »
SLAP film festival?

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2021, 08:50:31 AM »
https://soap2day.to/MczoyMDoiMTA2OTl8fDY4LjgwLjI1MC4xNzEiOw.html

siiiiick thank you.

I'm 20 min in and its not that bad.  some of the dialogue is doo doo tho

Dill as a priest is hilarious

whoever shot this did a great job and the DIT work is really good.

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 84
« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2021, 11:19:29 AM »
I watched 15 minutes of it and almost threw up... Whoever says this isn't a bad movie must think Battlefield Earth is an academy award winner... My god...

snowballz

• Rep: -12
« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2021, 11:22:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Regardless of his skating, Jonah is an incredible actor. Superbad is a top 10 comedy movie all time

Tyrone Slothrop

• Rep: 9
« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2021, 12:42:53 PM »
I saw the trailer and figured it to be all pretty camera movements, lighting and color and not much else.

On a somewhat related note, as a first year film student, I was snapped at by a senior screenwriting major for being close minded because I wouldn’t go see Mid 90’s because I claimed it would do nothing for me or show me anything new.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2021, 12:57:44 PM »
I saw the trailer and figured it to be all pretty camera movements, lighting and color and not much else.

On a somewhat related note, as a first year film student, I was snapped at by a senior screenwriting major for being close minded because I wouldn’t go see Mid 90’s because I claimed it would do nothing for me or show me anything new.

Well at least you’re self-aware that you’re a close-minded obnoxious freshman film student.   Read and watch everything you can.  You learn just as much, if not more from the failures than you do the successes.   Don’t be the person who turns your nose up at stuff, particularly at your age.  No one likes that guy, no one wants to collaborate with that guy, no one wants to hire that guy. 

Also, try and get a second major or at least a minor in a “real” subject like English literature or history.  Having a wide breadth of knowledge is more vital to your potential career than knowing the rule of thirds or whether you’re crossing the line.