Author Topic: stationary practise of fundamnetal movments  (Read 1077 times)

wilog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -23
stationary practise of fundamnetal movments
« on: April 30, 2024, 01:43:39 PM »
So this year when i moved into my dorm i sort of picked up a habit of just doing stationary mannys both stances just out of boredom and restlessness. It became a daily habit for pretty much the whole year and made me significantly better at holding mannys. when i was learning nollie front 180 switch manny i did the sort of pivot into holding the manny straight and it also helped me learn the trick a lot. I am trying the same thing to learn back 180 switch mannys right now and it made me think like about how many of these sort of movments for tricks i can find ways to practise while not skating. I seriously found this helped my manny game so much, has anyone else done this or had different ones for other tricks they did or am i just reading into this too deeply

Crust

• Rep: 45
Re: stationary practise of fundamnetal movments
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 01:50:00 PM »
I haven't, but the stationary skating seemed to have great board control benefits for Jamie Griffin's skating

Buttworm

• Rep: 37
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 01:50:10 PM »
Have you been smoking that stuff again

wilog

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 02:05:36 PM »
I haven't, but the stationary skating seemed to have great board control benefits for Jamie Griffin's skating
ok ill stop thanks

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 02:27:24 PM »
Hmmmmmm, going through knee rehab, gonna start practicing that way when I get back I’ll be John dilo
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 02:34:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
ok ill stop thanks

Lol best response

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 02:40:09 PM »
Hmmmmmm, going through knee rehab, gonna start practicing that way when I get back I’ll be John dilo

After tearing ligaments in my ankle, pushing foot side, PT etc had me work on 1 leg balance. I skate very loose set up, so when 1 leg balance was no longer challenging, would stand on the loose board using 1 foot. Might ve helpful
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Mongo Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 02:43:25 PM »
Hmmm

For flip tricks it’s always been my experience that rolling is much better. Manuals though I feel like there’s probably huge benefits practicing stationary, if not mostly to build up the core muscles it takes to do them.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Ninj2

• Rep: -95
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 02:51:50 PM »
That isn’t a bad habit. That’s a good way to understand balance. Don’t let the muppets on slap shame you for it. Most of them only daily connection to skateboarding is slap so you should feel bad for them too even or just understand them at the base camp they live in sucky terminator dik. Beep beep. Beep

D10S

• Rep: -58
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2024, 03:31:57 PM »

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2024, 05:02:38 PM »
Skateboarding is like 85% mental so I guess using a floor board hells your mind connect the dots to do tricks. It's like you're constantly exercising your brain in skate mode. That's what I think at least

work_lurker

• Rep: 97
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2024, 05:05:05 PM »

I have a foam roller from Walmart, and an old deck, and I do this often. It actually really helped my manny game too. I don't know how much those Hoka set ups cost, but I bet it's more expensive than just a simple foam roller is. Don't be a sucker.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2024, 05:08:08 PM »
Everything stationary seems harder to me but I'm bad anyway so my opinion is irrelevant.

Bupstop

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2024, 05:08:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have a foam roller from Walmart, and an old deck, and I do this often. It actually really helped my manny game too. I don't know how much those Hoka set ups cost, but I bet it's more expensive than just a simple foam roller is. Don't be a sucker.

Yeah I agree. I used to use an old deck and a 2 liter bottle of soda filled with water.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2251
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2024, 05:12:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah I agree. I used to use an old deck and a 2 liter bottle of soda filled with water.
Now that… THAT’s doin’ it!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

wilog

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2024, 05:35:25 PM »
Why use a foam roller thing instead of just your actual board tho

Shtonk

• Rep: -438
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2024, 01:44:32 AM »
Little shared experience for those talking about the DIY balance board setups: if at some point people might step to it who don't have proper skateboarding experience (particularly in slamming), make sure you screw a type of stopper on the outermost two bolt holes either end (see how the Huka thing has it). If you don't and a kook loses their balance, the board will accelerate and shoot out over the tail or nose, becoming a missile, while the kook becomes horizontally airborne and bodyslams sideways onto the roller on the floor. Leading, in the particular instance I bore witness to, to a dislocated thumb incl ligament tear, a severely bruised hip and a slight concussion, plus a dent in the wall of a recently renovated rental flat. Cherry on the cake was the dude was about to be a dad and spent the first month of his kid's life not being able to hold it or properly support the mom.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1345
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2024, 10:48:58 AM »
Little shared experience for those talking about the DIY balance board setups: if at some point people might step to it who don't have proper skateboarding experience (particularly in slamming), make sure you screw a type of stopper on the outermost two bolt holes either end (see how the Huka thing has it). If you don't and a kook loses their balance, the board will accelerate and shoot out over the tail or nose, becoming a missile, while the kook becomes horizontally airborne and bodyslams sideways onto the roller on the floor. Leading, in the particular instance I bore witness to, to a dislocated thumb incl ligament tear, a severely bruised hip and a slight concussion, plus a dent in the wall of a recently renovated rental flat. Cherry on the cake was the dude was about to be a dad and spent the first month of his kid's life not being able to hold it or properly support the mom.
This is true. Just manualing on your set up on the carpet can do this too I spose but nothing like a balance board set up, homemade or otherwise. For one, it's way taller and so a lot more unstable and then the balance point is in the direct middle and pretty different from how you would manual. More mechanical bull than carpet manual set up. Maybe it's because I filled my 2-litre with cat litter?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

diplodocus

• Rep: 160
  • long neck
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2024, 11:38:51 AM »
Balance is balance. When I rehabbed my ankle, I felt like the single leg stands I was doing directly translated into aspects of my skating.

Banned from the room

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2024, 07:34:56 PM »
I used to but I smoke that stuff again now. I don't wanna bang my head or scare the old lady down stairs who's an angel