Author Topic: Which Bushings R U Running?  (Read 51323 times)

NickSoapdish and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

marcusbutler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 40
Re: Which Bushings R U Running?
« Reply #750 on: April 29, 2024, 11:55:25 PM »
The stock thunders finally kicked the bucket. Running the stock ones that come in ventures. Something about running thunders with cone/barrel combo. Last pair had the indy orange stock cone/barrel and they were perfect.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #751 on: April 30, 2024, 04:04:20 AM »
The stock thunders finally kicked the bucket. Running the stock ones that come in ventures. Something about running thunders with cone/barrel combo. Last pair had the indy orange stock cone/barrel and they were perfect.

You could also try to put a harder top bottom on your Thunders. I use some cut down Indy 92a tops and the ride and pop is hella stable.

I am 161 lbs and the nuts are flush. Stable but turny when I want them to.
IG: @flowterspace

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #752 on: April 30, 2024, 10:28:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone tried the new Doh Dohs cones? Seems to be a Bones competitor.

I know Shorty’s had plans for something similar back in the day but I never saw them available.

https://www.shortysinc.com/collections/bushings
[close]

Just ordered a pair of the 95a variants of these. I’ll measure them and post in here once I get them.

Looking forward to that info. These looks like they could be a good alternative to Bones.

rikki

• Rep: 290
« Reply #753 on: April 30, 2024, 11:59:38 PM »
This might be dumb ass question, but I wanna be sure so I don't end up misleading my fried homies at the park: changing the height of the top bushing in a truck doesn't affect the truck's overall geometry (such as the wb effect), right? Only the bottom bushing affects that, no?

Ok that was two questions. But still. Thanks.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #754 on: May 01, 2024, 08:55:51 AM »
This might be dumb ass question, but I wanna be sure so I don't end up misleading my fried homies at the park: changing the height of the top bushing in a truck doesn't affect the truck's overall geometry (such as the wb effect), right? Only the bottom bushing affects that, no?

Ok that was two questions. But still. Thanks.

It is a funny one, with some people saying it does and others saying it doesn't, but keeping bottom bushing and washer as is will keep the geometry and overall wheelbase.  Changing the bottom bushing to a different shape - conical or cylinder, making it lower / taller or removing the washer will all have different effects on how the truck performs.

Changing height of the top one will change how much the truck will turn, usually a taller top bushing than what is on there means the turn might be less and resistance is going to be stiffer, but having a lower top bushing means the truck will be looser (unless tightened right down) so it will turn a lot more and have less resistance.

If tightened down, the top washer might hit the hanger a lot more too, so although the overall turn might be easier, it will get to a certain point and stop, or not turn much past that point, as per boards I have with minimal top bushings.

There are probably a few other options I could provide info on, but I will leave it at that for now.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rikki

« Reply #755 on: May 01, 2024, 11:14:29 PM »
Thanks Brims, this is pretty much how I thought things would be. It's just I want to keep my kingpin nut as flush as possible, so I've recently ended up adding a Bones flat washer on top of my trucks stock washer as the top bushing eventually squashes down to a bit smaller size as it ages (I like my trucks pretty tight). Hence, the discourse about the possible geo effect etc. But yeah, no need to screw about with the bottom one, so all good. Thanks again.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #756 on: May 02, 2024, 03:06:45 PM »
Thanks Brims, this is pretty much how I thought things would be. It's just I want to keep my kingpin nut as flush as possible, so I've recently ended up adding a Bones flat washer on top of my trucks stock washer as the top bushing eventually squashes down to a bit smaller size as it ages (I like my trucks pretty tight). Hence, the discourse about the possible geo effect etc. But yeah, no need to screw about with the bottom one, so all good. Thanks again.

For sure!

Sometimes late night ramblings are a bit off, when I read what I wrote later.

I have kept a small supply of flat basic washers exactly for this purpose too, as well as having too many Bones flat washers, but adding one in under everything right on the bottom, or on top of everything between top washer and kingpin nut can help to keep everything at the same height, especially if one or both bushings compress a whole lot and the truck hanger is sitting on a bit of a different angle to how it might usually sit.

Bones bushings are pretty notorious for this, especially Bones hards, which do hold up longer, but compress a lot more, so a couple of people who run them, usually nothing but the Bones washer on top from new, then another one underneath as they wear, then usually stock washers added when they start to squash down some, ending with stock washer on the bottom under the Bones bushing, then stock washer on top of the top Bones bushing and the Bones washer on top of all that, like you have there.  That is usually still with a thread showing on the kingpin too, so those things really get a hammering.

CarcassToss

• Rep: 27
« Reply #757 on: May 02, 2024, 03:45:05 PM »
Weird question: I see Reynolds crank his Indy bushings then grind the KP down. Its weird since I've never seen him do a smith or feeble, but it made me wonder if this would make the truck turn weird vs running the same total hardness, but with harder bushings that aren't smashed down.

BL0B

• Rep: 416
« Reply #758 on: May 03, 2024, 02:06:42 AM »
Weird question: I see Reynolds crank his Indy bushings then grind the KP down. Its weird since I've never seen him do a smith or feeble, but it made me wonder if this would make the truck turn weird vs running the same total hardness, but with harder bushings that aren't smashed down.

i believe it's a "madness" thing and nothing to do with feebles or smiths? maybe, he doesn't want the kids making fun of him? have you seen tom penny and bam margeras poor little guys all smushed to hell?

yeah, its gonna make it turn (not turn) weird af imo. but for him its the quickest way to get a setup to work for him, supposedly he rides new trucks all the time.

idk about the rest, vs and stuff, sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #759 on: May 03, 2024, 03:30:07 AM »

Re angle grinding down the kingpin - I know he did that when he tried the Stage 4 Indy trucks as they did have kingpins that were taller (just like the 215s), but not so much for any other normal truck, even though thinking back I recall another post where someone did a very professional job of taking kingpins down for him, the comments or someone asking how much lower they were - a thread or two I think.

That said, I regularly do that with most of my trucks, especially the back truck, which I run a thread or so tighter than the front, usually with low top bushings as well, so I can really get a whole lot more clearance, sometimes more than I need, but I don't like feeling the kingpin hit on anything.  Regular stock bushings I can take down a thread at the back once they wear in as well, so I will use a grinder so I never have kingpin sticking up over the nut.

As to how the trucks turn, as long as the bottom bushings are still as they should be, it is no different with lower tops or taking the kingpin down a bit, usually the top squashed down more than the bottom anyway.

Some of my trucks definitely have felt a bit more weird with the conical bushings I use if they have really squashed down a lot, still not even a full single mm, but yeah sometimes people like or prefer that turn and how they feel rather than having taller bottom bushings which mean the trucks will turn more like Ace, or Stage 4 Indy.

Also, I seem to recall people saying Reynolds did usually ride harder bushings, even had them put in for him before they sent them to him, but I don't know how accurate that is, or which colour they sent - maybe black ones?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #760 on: May 03, 2024, 04:09:53 AM »

...have you seen tom penny and bam margeras poor little guys all smushed to hell?

I am always amazed at seeing some boards, especially those who I would think would usually have a bucket of spare parts or at least easy access to anything to actually  make their boards work correctly, but it seems it is more the other way round, like they can't get anything and will not buy anything either.

Not difficult to get harder bushings.

rikki

« Reply #761 on: May 03, 2024, 06:22:04 AM »
Expand Quote

...have you seen tom penny and bam margeras poor little guys all smushed to hell?

[close]

I am always amazed at seeing some boards, especially those who I would think would usually have a bucket of spare parts or at least easy access to anything to actually  make their boards work correctly, but it seems it is more the other way round, like they can't get anything and will not buy anything either.

I think in Penny's and Bam's case it's more of a question of not giving a f*ck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #762 on: May 03, 2024, 04:53:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ha yeah, it is a funny one.

Kind of wonder what some people are thinking, or they just skate whatever they can get, or do they just skate whatever they are sent?

rikki

« Reply #763 on: Today at 01:42:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ha yeah, it is a funny one.

Kind of wonder what some people are thinking, or they just skate whatever they can get, or do they just skate whatever they are sent?

I think in the case of pros, as long as they can do the stuff they want to do on a board, everything else is secondary and they don't waste time tinkering about. Which is probably the case with many pros and truck bushings.

ish_wav

• Rep: 96
« Reply #764 on: Today at 02:22:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone tried the new Doh Dohs cones? Seems to be a Bones competitor.

I know Shorty’s had plans for something similar back in the day but I never saw them available.

https://www.shortysinc.com/collections/bushings
[close]

Just ordered a pair of the 95a variants of these. I’ll measure them and post in here once I get them.
[close]

Looking forward to that info. These looks like they could be a good alternative to Bones.

As promised, here’s the measurements on conical doh dohs
Tops are 9.2mm and bottoms are 13.5mm