Author Topic: when did being "core" finally become a bad thing  (Read 7438 times)

Chavo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
Re: when did being "core" finally become a bad thing
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2019, 09:52:25 AM »
"Core" is a corporate marketing term used to describe certain target demographic groups. To answer what I think the original poster means, when skateboarding incorporated the word into its own lexicon is when "core" became a bad thing. Marketing relies on behavioral psychology and is not necessarily rooted in truth. This explains the misinformation in this thread.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2019, 09:56:20 AM »
im so core bro, yall dont even know.  got my suicidal tendencies patch on my acid wash jean jacket about to slash the edge of my driveway on my new duane peters with stage 3 indys.

This sounds like Tiffany with a MAGA hat. Stage 3 Indys is about the only thing you have correct.

whorific

• Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2019, 09:58:03 AM »
corporate propaganda has convinced skaters just like the general population that being sovereign and having dignity is a laughable thing. better to have big daddy money hold your hand and guide the way.

^^^
" I did not say this I am not here"

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 10:00:32 AM »
There will always be smaller brands run by skateboarders. We'll be fine.

If anything, you get to be weirder that ever. Now that skating is olympic, your skating will look pretty crazy to a normal person. Like someone practicing their javelin toss in an empty parking lot after midnight.
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2019, 10:04:37 AM »
core is short for corporate.

if people wanna be cooler than you because they chose to buy a certain product over another, you should just let them be cooler than you.

Slap survey: on a scale from 1-10, how cool do you think you are because you skate?

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2019, 10:06:11 AM »
does any other sport have the idea of "core"

Cycling.  A certain segment of the bike world is super into handmade steel / titanium frames with non Shimano/SRAM components.  They even have their own get together every year.  https://www.nahbs.com

Dustwardprez

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2019, 10:32:02 AM »
core is short for corporate.

if people wanna be cooler than you because they chose to buy a certain product over another, you should just let them be cooler than you.

Slap survey: on a scale from 1-10, how cool do you think you are because you skate?

2. I’d be a 5 maybe if I quit the toy and focused on living in society.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2019, 11:28:23 AM »
....I mean imagine if riders for core brands started advertising themselves wearing yoga clothes and shopping in whole foods?

You mean Neen?

bo golden

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2019, 12:33:57 PM »
Expand Quote
im so core bro, yall dont even know.  got my suicidal tendencies patch on my acid wash jean jacket about to slash the edge of my driveway on my new duane peters with stage 3 indys.
[close]

This sounds like Tiffany with a MAGA hat. Stage 3 Indys is about the only thing you have correct.

LOL!  who is Tiffany?

olympic sk8r

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2019, 01:14:15 PM »
life fucking sucks. everything everywhere sucks bro who gives a shit anymore.

ps nike please release more dubk sbs in non hypebeast colors at non hypebeast prices

Soft Boiled

• Rep: 21
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2019, 02:49:50 PM »
It’s crazy how some people think the idea of  “core” comes down to what shoes you’re wearing. True, shoes are a part of it, but to me, it has more to do with supporting the skate community. Shopping at your local skate shop, contributing to the scene, and giving back.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2019, 01:54:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

LOL!  who is Tiffany?

Heywoodfloyd

• Rep: 13
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2019, 03:31:29 AM »
I never made i conscious effort to be "core", but last week i was looking to buy some new shoes.

I thought about picking up some Emerica Wino's, but then i saw that they put some G6 technology stuff in there, and it freaked me out.
It made me question who i trust more, german engineering or the engineering of some core bros in California.

I went with Adidas.

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2019, 04:30:20 AM »
It’s crazy how some people think the idea of  “core” comes down to what shoes you’re wearing. True, shoes are a part of it, but to me, it has more to do with supporting the skate community. Shopping at your local skate shop, contributing to the scene, and giving back.

The concept of supporting local shops is a great thought. But in practice, it’s somewhat hard to justify...

I only skate Vans pro’s or Nike’s, which means buying in shops is a total waste of money. These shoes can generally be had in the $35-40 range, by simply shopping around. Online or some chain store.

Same with boards- I haven’t paid more then $40 for anything I’ve skated in months.

Spending $60 for a board at a shop isn’t in my budget, not for something that lasts 3 weeks...

bo golden

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2019, 06:46:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

LOL!  who is Tiffany?
[close]

Oh! That Tiffany!

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1151
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2019, 06:47:02 AM »
I thought about picking up some Emerica Wino's, but then i saw that they put some G6 technology stuff in there, and it freaked me out.

A soul-shattering revelation.  Stay strong my friend.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2019, 07:04:05 AM »
I never made i conscious effort to be "core", but last week i was looking to buy some new shoes.

It made me question who i trust more, german engineering or the engineering of some core bros in California.

I went with Adidas.

G6 insoles are nothing exceptional
G6 outsoles are awesome (Reynolds G6 are one of the best shoes i ever skated and the Emerica Empire were really good, G6 outsoles too)

shalom hardware

• Rep: 0
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2019, 07:14:36 AM »
if you look closely at the skate industry you may be surprised how the 'core' profits are made in skating, its not on popsicle decks and white wheels:

penny boards

street wear

sneakers

there are nearly no profit margins on decks or full length videos.

HaveFunSkateboarding

• Rep: 20
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2019, 07:21:08 AM »
I do my best to support local shops and smaller, independently skater owned brands. But like some other people in this thread already stated, it's not always in my budget. I'm 40, single and have my two kids living with me 50% of the time. Which equates to, my finances are tight and I need to be extremely frugal with how I allocate them. I just ordered a pair of Lakai Sheffield XLK's from Zumiez a few days ago and they cost me $21. Do I particularly like Zumiez? No. But I'm not going to spend $75 on the same shoe at a shop. I don't mind waiting for the shoes I want to go on sale. I'm waiting for the Flaco 2's in tobacco to go on sale next.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2019, 07:25:30 AM »
I do my best to support local shops and smaller, independently skater owned brands. But like some other people in this thread already stated, it's not always in my budget. I'm 40, single and have my two kids living with me 50% of the time. Which equates to, my finances are tight and I need to be extremely frugal with how I allocate them. I just ordered a pair of Lakai Sheffield XLK's from Zumiez a few days ago and they cost me $21. Do I particularly like Zumiez? No. But I'm not going to spend $75 on the same shoe at a shop. I don't mind waiting for the shoes I want to go on sale. I'm waiting for the Flaco 2's in tobacco to go on sale next.

i hope i'm writing this exact paragraph on slap when i'm 40.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2019, 08:00:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i hope i'm writing this exact paragraph on slap when i'm 40.
everyone needs goals. Im sure becoming a 40 year old single dad on a tight budget is achievable.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2019, 09:29:46 AM »
corporate propaganda has convinced skaters just like the general population that being sovereign and having dignity is a laughable thing. better to have big daddy money hold your hand and guide the way.

Well said.

Also, the middle class adopted skateboarding, and as a result of this the rebellious subculture elements of skateboarding have been forced to give way to symbols embraced by the middle class. Kids want to look like a legitimate athlete by wearing the official tribal symbols (adidas or nike) that go along.

The shoe game is also problematic because the small fish have a hard time competing in quality with the giants. Why buy a Lakai shoe when you can buy an adidas shoe with clearly superior quality?

Core companies have partially themselves to blame too. Look at Deluxe: everyone still loves their product because the quality is top notch. Look at Crailtap: for a while everyone abandoned them because the quality was garbage.

Malflourishment

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2019, 09:39:39 AM »
Lakai isn’t “core” and neither are the patches on your fuckin dickies vest. 

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2019, 10:03:32 AM »

It is crazy, skating has decades of history before pro shoes were even a thing.

Art and music have “core scenes”. they dont use that term but there was a split in the scenes when music shops and record stores started closing because of places like walmart and guitar center selling super cheap equipment and cds. A lot of those stores served as places for local musicians to sell albums, promote shows and have bigger acts visit. It takes away from the music scene. I’m lucky to Be near the house of guitars and live in area with a music scene. Fuck Led Zeppelin cover bands

Mickey Knox

• Rep: -32
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2019, 10:18:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The concept of supporting local shops is a great thought. But in practice, it’s somewhat hard to justify...

I only skate Vans pro’s or Nike’s, which means buying in shops is a total waste of money. These shoes can generally be had in the $35-40 range, by simply shopping around. Online or some chain store.

Same with boards- I haven’t paid more then $40 for anything I’ve skated in months.

Spending $60 for a board at a shop isn’t in my budget, not for something that lasts 3 weeks...
Soft boiled gets it, but 72 how is supporting local shops hard to justify. I can understand shopping around for shoes every now and again but hard goods? There’s no way with shipping you’re saving that much money on boards with increased price points. Unless your buying a 7.5 element board from the sale rack at zumiez, or some shitty shape or wood online that nobody wants. Where the hell are you buying your boards , and what are you buying? Not doubting you just curious.........Shops give back to the scene, support local shredders, and above all give a chill place for kids to hang out and learn what’s what. I’ll spend an extra 5 dollars on boards, wheels, trucks etc to put in a homie’s pocket rather than some dude I don’t know. That aside, don’t you like to stand on a board before you buy it? Do what you want with your money but please don’t spread this bullshit to kids. Shops are important for skate scenes. One less trip out to eat is the difference in price , cmon man. Plus if your not a kook usually you can get a 10-20% discount on soft goods after a while. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SKATESHOP!

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2019, 10:40:39 AM »
for me its a bad word bc people use core as an excuse to shovel really shit product at you at a horrendous price and ur just suppose to suck it and deal. nope, not gonna do that lol.  but there are legit core companies like scum co or state shoes. worth ur money, and its not super shit stuff. im sure at somepoint core will mean quality and care again but rn is not that time. i blame companies like crailtap and etnies for that.

billyerlife

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2019, 11:16:53 AM »
It didn't. The word makes me feel a little sick, but the values inherent in being 'core', which boils down to skateboarders aiming to keep the skateboarding economy and culture exclusive to skateboarders, are still very much valued by a large segment of the skateboarding population. That's why skater owned brands continue to survive, in some cases continue to do well, despite overwhelming attempts by jock shoe companies to drive them out of business.

Don't worry about any of that shit anyway, what people say, just keep supporting brands that are actually worth a fuck.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2019, 11:28:26 AM »
when it became synonymous with shitty quality, at least in the footwear realm