Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 547084 times)

fakie varial flip

Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4530 on: March 29, 2022, 08:33:56 AM »
Indy 159s or 169s on Dane1 (or whatever comparable size truck from the truck company you skate), and extra emphasis on WHYYY? What do you enjoy or not enjoy about the setup? Also, I skate 53mm conical fulls, and I do flip my board a lot!

Apologies to whomever already answered this, but there are so many posts and I’ve looked through so many. I really appreciate anyone who gets back to this. Hope y’all are well!

I had one on 169s and liked it much more when I put 159s on it. It worked just fine on the 169s but didnt feel as responsive - felt like the short length and wheelbase worked better on the 159s because it gave it some more turn and room to pop above the wheels (360 flips, for example, felt less 'dead' with the additional room for the deck to travel inward toward the wheel).

I skated the 169s and 159s with some 58mm extra wide cruiser wheels and some 60mm spit OG classics - I'm a trucks-wider-than-deck guy and I would still recommend 159s

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #4531 on: March 29, 2022, 10:27:14 AM »
Indy 159s or 169s on Dane1 (or whatever comparable size truck from the truck company you skate), and extra emphasis on WHYYY? What do you enjoy or not enjoy about the setup? Also, I skate 53mm conical fulls, and I do flip my board a lot!

Apologies to whomever already answered this, but there are so many posts and I’ve looked through so many. I really appreciate anyone who gets back to this. Hope y’all are well!

If you’re using words like “flip my board” I’d go with the 159s on the Dane 1.  I’ve skated a few with 169s and it’s great for ledges and curbs (which is perfect for me) but for flip tricks that rotate and even shuvits you kind of lose the scoop with the back trucks/wheels sticking out a little past the edges of the deck.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #4532 on: March 29, 2022, 11:02:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you’re using words like “flip my board” I’d go with the 159s on the Dane 1.  I’ve skated a few with 169s and it’s great for ledges and curbs (which is perfect for me) but for flip tricks that rotate and even shuvits you kind of lose the scoop with the back trucks/wheels sticking out a little past the edges of the deck.

Thank you - "losing the scoop" is exactly what I was trying to describe and failing at

Agreed that with 169s it's fun on ledges and curbs (though I suck at curbs so ymmv)

apport

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #4533 on: March 29, 2022, 05:33:28 PM »
looking for board recommendations to put on these ace 66 that have been sitting in my gear stash for years

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #4534 on: March 29, 2022, 08:08:13 PM »
If I get a sweat pants board, do y’all people recommend 8.75 or 9” trucks?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #4535 on: March 29, 2022, 08:20:24 PM »
looking for board recommendations to put on these ace 66 that have been sitting in my gear stash for years

Winkowski board

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4536 on: March 29, 2022, 11:53:04 PM »

Really thinking about getting them, even though I could never skate the shape

MANTRA

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4537 on: March 30, 2022, 03:50:05 AM »

I have 169s and 55 mm spitfire classics and its perfect!

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
« Reply #4538 on: March 30, 2022, 05:38:46 AM »

I was coming here to post this, those boards would be sick with some classic 66s
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4539 on: March 30, 2022, 05:47:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was coming here to post this, those boards would be sick with some classic 66s

Some classic 66s, some good wheels and I might even ditch the rails on this one just to let the graphic shine.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4540 on: March 30, 2022, 08:19:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Nah, they’re pretty narrow over the back trucks.
Winkowski board

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4541 on: March 30, 2022, 05:40:44 PM »

Copied this from an old post, but you could go either way depending on whether or not you like a wider profile truck with a touch of overhang at the back, or a more narrow profile truck with no overhang at the back:

..."9.81 x 32 with a 14.38 wheelbase, so definitely a really good shaped larger deck, about 9.3 over the front trucks but significantly less at about 8.8 over the back trucks"

I still hadn't set up mine, but I have too many other boards on the go, even some of similar shape or with those same dimensions over trucks that I prefer 169s on but I personally like a wider truck to match that size board.

Also seen people post something similar to this:

Wider wheels = 159s

Normal wheels = 169s

I have 169s and 55 mm spitfire classics and its perfect!

Yep I agree!

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4542 on: March 31, 2022, 07:50:12 PM »
Friend gave me this deck because he didn't like the shape. I finally found time to set it up today, which coincidentally is the 2nd anniversary of Grosso's passing.

Black Label Jeff Grosso "Forever" 10.25" x 31.25" with 15" wheelbase
Indy 159 standards
Spitfire F4 99a 56mm Conical Fulls
Bones Ceramic Super Reds
Dogtown Blue Haven Rails
1" hardware
I think a mix of MOB and MOB clear?

Once I'm done skating this board, the deck is going back into a small quiver collection at my local shop so other people can skate it. I personally refuse to wall hang it.

GROSSO FOREVER

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #4543 on: March 31, 2022, 09:19:58 PM »
Friend gave me this deck because he didn't like the shape. I finally found time to set it up today, which coincidentally is the 2nd anniversary of Grosso's passing.

Indy 159 standards
Bones Ceramic Super Reds
Dogtown Blue Haven Rails
1" hardware

Once I'm done skating this board, the deck is going back into a small quiver collection at my local shop so other people can skate it. I personally refuse to wall hang it.

GROSSO FOREVER
🖤

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4544 on: April 01, 2022, 12:05:50 AM »

Indy 159 standards
Bones Ceramic Super Reds
Dogtown Blue Haven Rails
1" hardware

GROSSO FOREVER

Shape looks strange but functional. Does it have square rails on it?

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4545 on: April 01, 2022, 10:30:58 AM »
Expand Quote

Indy 159 standards
Bones Ceramic Super Reds
Dogtown Blue Haven Rails
1" hardware

GROSSO FOREVER
[close]

The rails are trapezoid shaped with the edges rounded down.

beandemon

« Reply #4546 on: April 02, 2022, 08:57:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Indy 159 standards
Bones Ceramic Super Reds
Dogtown Blue Haven Rails
1" hardware

GROSSO FOREVER
[close]

[close]

Wait, are you referring to the edges of the deck or the plastic slidey bits?
 I’ve got the same deck, even the same color way. The shape seems to be a nod to his early Madrid deck Lucero did the art for plus some bits and pieces from his other early models. Actually, after some sleuthing, it looks like a Santa Cruz-era Lucero Cross with a Grosso/Blender flat nose. I kinda wish it was the original shape, but whatevs.
I’m leaning toward a period setup, so pretty much samsies but 60mm wheels. Might go re-ish or NOS, but 58-60mm conical or radial full would work pretty damn well.
From where the sun now stands, mine will not hang, now or ever.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4547 on: April 02, 2022, 11:19:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Indy 159 standards
Bones Ceramic Super Reds
Dogtown Blue Haven Rails
1" hardware

GROSSO FOREVER
[close]

[close]

[close]

Wait, are you referring to the edges of the deck or the plastic slidey bits?
 I’ve got the same deck, even the same color way. The shape seems to be a nod to his early Madrid deck Lucero did the art for plus some bits and pieces from his other early models. Actually, after some sleuthing, it looks like a Santa Cruz-era Lucero Cross with a Grosso/Blender flat nose. I kinda wish it was the original shape, but whatevs.
I’m leaning toward a period setup, so pretty much samsies but 60mm wheels. Might go re-ish or NOS, but 58-60mm conical or radial full would work pretty damn well.
From where the sun now stands, mine will not hang, now or ever.

Woops, was talking about the Dogtown rails. The edges of the deck are rounded off, not square like the AH Grosso shape.

Make sure to post yours when you set it up!

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4548 on: April 06, 2022, 11:42:41 AM »
You ever see an old shape that you'd think would be cool to skate but it's not made anymore so you do it yourself? That's exactly what I did.

Black Label John Lucero Emergency Cross, reshaped. I cut down the nose making the length from 33" to about 31", and added a taper. I also redrilled the already double drilled wheelbase to 15", so here's to hoping the deck doesn't break when I step on it :v I did my best to match the original 80s/90s Santa Cruz shape, but there weren't many clear images of it.

Indy 159 standards with stock bushings

Spitfire F4 Conical Full 56mm 99a

Bones Super Reds Ceramics

Jessup Ultra + MOB Clear

Santa Cruz rails

1" hardware

Before/after:

Santa Cruz shape vs my work

The obvious difference is the taper, but I wasn't sure if the taper was steep due to the photo angle so I played it safe. Overall, not bad for having little to work with.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4549 on: April 06, 2022, 12:05:43 PM »
^It was a Rocco SMA Division board before it was a Santa Cruz release. Lucero was an early Rocco investor and got a run of the Red Cross boards that was meant to be the first drop from Lucero Skates, similar to what we would see later with Blind and 101 with Gonz and Natas. The catch was they were some of Prime's first decks and they hadn't quite figured out how to make them yet so all the early SMA decks broke super easily. A startup Skate Shop in my town carried all of Rocco's product from that time period and board breakage was definitely an issue. My Red Cross broke right under the front trucks from riding off a curb. I focused it at the shitty skate pen (paved square near the baseball field, no ramps allowed) my town forced us into and got a pic in the town paper. That pic got me kooked pretty hard at the time but I would kill for a copy today.

My memory is obviously fuzzy but your approximation of the OG shape looks pretty good, particularly in the tail. The pics you posted of the SC version definitely make it look like more of a severe taper than it ever was around the back trucks. Also thanks for confirming that the modern Red Cross was an embiggening of the original. I was losing my mind trying to find dimensions one night but was sure that what the Label had out wasn't the same as what I rode 30 whatever years ago.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

beandemon

« Reply #4550 on: April 06, 2022, 01:35:00 PM »
All this Label action and late 80’s/early 90’s talk is killing me in the best way. I remember Santa Monica Airlines Rocco Division, SMA World Industries, Lucero Ltd all happening so fast it was hard to keep straight.

I think the Lucero 12XU looks like the most 88-89 shape. The street thing/van man/max evans shape is a solid early 90’s shape. The racing stripe/thumbhead/cross is a boat, more like a pig with a nose on a modern mold, but super fun.

I might post my setups, but I’m deeply private and vastly insecure. Plus, I’m too stupid to figure out how.

oliknight

« Reply #4551 on: April 06, 2022, 04:28:41 PM »

I was skeptical about this set-up but it’s SO fun! From the second I stood on it, it felt comfortable and definitely feels versatile for street and transition.

Frog Loomer deck
Venture 6.1 hollow
Spitfire 54mm classics
Bones reds

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4552 on: April 06, 2022, 05:06:16 PM »
You ever see an old shape that you'd think would be cool to skate but it's not made anymore so you do it yourself? That's exactly what I did.

Black Label John Lucero Emergency Cross, reshaped. I cut down the nose making the length from 33" to about 31", and added a taper. I also redrilled the already double drilled wheelbase to 15", so here's to hoping the deck doesn't break when I step on it :v I did my best to match the original 80s/90s Santa Cruz shape, but there weren't many clear images of it.

Indy 159 standards with stock bushings

Spitfire F4 Conical Full 56mm 99a

Bones Super Reds Ceramics

Jessup Ultra + MOB Clear

Santa Cruz rails

1" hardware

Before/after:

Santa Cruz shape vs my work

The obvious difference is the taper, but I wasn't sure if the taper was steep due to the photo angle so I played it safe. Overall, not bad for having little to work with.

That is amazing!

From standing on the unmodified cross deck, that thing is huge, but you have done a great job of that and if you post on Instagram or other, tag John or Black Label in it as I am sure he would be stoked to see it too.

The Lucero Street Thing might be about the easiest shape to skate of the current range, most comfortable big board with good wheelbase options and nothing too out there in terms of funky corners or cutaway over back bolts or all the rest of it too, but I know people will have their own personal preferences.

It was also fairly easy to get here in AU as well, compared to some of the other big boards which become collectors items or are flipped on ebay at double RRP all too quickly.

I am yet to set up the one I got, but I have another older one of the same shape that is almost done, but still so good.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4553 on: April 06, 2022, 05:11:23 PM »
^It was a Rocco SMA Division board before it was a Santa Cruz release. Lucero was an early Rocco investor and got a run of the Red Cross boards that was meant to be the first drop from Lucero Skates, similar to what we would see later with Blind and 101 with Gonz and Natas. The catch was they were some of Prime's first decks and they hadn't quite figured out how to make them yet so all the early SMA decks broke super easily. A startup Skate Shop in my town carried all of Rocco's product from that time period and board breakage was definitely an issue. My Red Cross broke right under the front trucks from riding off a curb. I focused it at the shitty skate pen (paved square near the baseball field, no ramps allowed) my town forced us into and got a pic in the town paper. That pic got me kooked pretty hard at the time but I would kill for a copy today.

My memory is obviously fuzzy but your approximation of the OG shape looks pretty good, particularly in the tail. The pics you posted of the SC version definitely make it look like more of a severe taper than it ever was around the back trucks. Also thanks for confirming that the modern Red Cross was an embiggening of the original. I was losing my mind trying to find dimensions one night but was sure that what the Label had out wasn't the same as what I rode 30 whatever years ago.

All this Label action and late 80’s/early 90’s talk is killing me in the best way. I remember Santa Monica Airlines Rocco Division, SMA World Industries, Lucero Ltd all happening so fast it was hard to keep straight.

I think the Lucero 12XU looks like the most 88-89 shape. The street thing/van man/max evans shape is a solid early 90’s shape. The racing stripe/thumbhead/cross is a boat, more like a pig with a nose on a modern mold, but super fun.

I might post my setups, but I’m deeply private and vastly insecure. Plus, I’m too stupid to figure out how.

I had meant to add both these comments in the previous post too, but stoked on reading both of these.

There is so much rad stuff out there, including old shapes, sizes and even all of your own boards, which are always rad to see but I also have a lot of stuff I think is best not to post, info, pics, boards and all the rest of it, as I feel like it is sharing too much.

Even just typing this comment, I think I should just stop, but at least this space is here for everyone to add whatever they want, or just enjoy what others have posted, so either way it is win win.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4554 on: April 06, 2022, 05:40:55 PM »
Thanks everyone! Knew about the Rocco/Lucero thing but didn't know the Emergency Cross graphic played a role in it. Board is performing quite nicely so far and I'm hoping it'll last me a good while.

djoekr

• Rep: 313
« Reply #4555 on: April 07, 2022, 12:28:01 PM »

Just finished gripping my Dead Dave Mutant. First time I'm gonna try a deck in the 10" range but I'm so excited to take it out for a spin. Gotta wait for the weather to clear up but the concave and shape feel really comfortable. I think I'm gonna enjoy this one.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

disclosed

• Rep: 183
« Reply #4556 on: April 07, 2022, 12:51:38 PM »

Just finished gripping my Dead Dave Mutant. First time I'm gonna try a deck in the 10" range but I'm so excited to take it out for a spin. Gotta wait for the weather to clear up but the concave and shape feel really comfortable. I think I'm gonna enjoy this one.

damn you got lucky! i recieved a brown stained one with a weird wine red top stain. digging the grip you did, love yellow tops too.
did you compare it to the Curb Killer yet?

djoekr

• Rep: 313
« Reply #4557 on: April 07, 2022, 01:13:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

damn you got lucky! i recieved a brown stained one with a weird wine red top stain. digging the grip you did, love yellow tops too.
did you compare it to the Curb Killer yet?

I actually sent a mail to the store to ask for the bottom stain. I hated the way the graphic looked on the red bottom stain so I told 'em I'd prefer the blue stain. I do this a lot when I'm ordering online as bad color combinations really bother me. I do like the way the brown/black bottom stain look with the pink graphic. And yeah, yellow tops are one of my favorite so the combo with the blue bottom ply is perfect for me.

Also, I haven't skated my Curb Killer yet, it's signed so it's more then just a board to me. Planned on taking it out for some action this summer when the weather is enjoyable.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #4558 on: April 07, 2022, 06:18:25 PM »
Found an Enjoi 9” popsicle on sale for like $45 and decided to buy it. Dimensions seem pretty manageable for such a wide board. Looking forward to setting it up for a curb sesh.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #4559 on: April 07, 2022, 06:47:50 PM »
Time for a freshii

Scram Cinex(aka Lindloff pools now)
Fresh potatoes in 53/99
Forged hollow 159s
Quantum Bearing Science isotopes
Mob
Down to my last 3 of the old graphics. Guess it’s time to stock up again.