Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 361671 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #3420 on: October 26, 2022, 01:09:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Was able to find a really cheap set on Depop, will be my first time on Ventures since like, 2004/05ish I think.

Ordered riptides for em already because I’m a goober and was gonna just go ahead and get their loose truck bushing kit, but are there other bushings people swear by for getting them a lil looser/surfy?
[close]

Indy super soft 78A bushings will get them a lot looser. Indy bushings are the same size as Venture bushings.
[close]

i keep seeing people say this but last time i held up after-market indy bushings next to a fairly new set of venture bushings the indy ones were a hair bigger. i know riptide lists them as the same, but can anyone confirm this for me because it's driving me nuts lol
indy top bushings are 1mm taller than venture stocks
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #3421 on: October 26, 2022, 02:06:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Was able to find a really cheap set on Depop, will be my first time on Ventures since like, 2004/05ish I think.

Ordered riptides for em already because I’m a goober and was gonna just go ahead and get their loose truck bushing kit, but are there other bushings people swear by for getting them a lil looser/surfy?
[close]

Indy super soft 78A bushings will get them a lot looser. Indy bushings are the same size as Venture bushings.
[close]

i keep seeing people say this but last time i held up after-market indy bushings next to a fairly new set of venture bushings the indy ones were a hair bigger. i know riptide lists them as the same, but can anyone confirm this for me because it's driving me nuts lol
[close]
indy top bushings are 1mm taller than venture stocks

bless

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3422 on: October 26, 2022, 06:03:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

For the most part they all seemed the same size for bottom bushings, but some (Indy black) seem to have a taller bottom bushing, at least one set did, but another set didn't.  Quality control?!?

The stock (bottom) bushings are definitely the same - just pulled out a couple of sets to compare, so from that at least the geometry will still be the same, as the bottom bushing is the key factor in that.  Various top bushings will only change how tight or loose the trucks feel, or how much resistance it will give / how much it will bounce back, so you can still run quite a few different height tops and work out what feels best for each person.

Bushing height info here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112631.msg3874036#msg3874036

* Sorry I didn't see the new page / new posts above - you guys have it all under control.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 06:12:27 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3423 on: October 26, 2022, 07:30:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

For the most part they all seemed the same size for bottom bushings, but some (Indy black) seem to have a taller bottom bushing, at least one set did, but another set didn't.  Quality control?!?

The stock (bottom) bushings are definitely the same - just pulled out a couple of sets to compare, so from that at least the geometry will still be the same, as the bottom bushing is the key factor in that.  Various top bushings will only change how tight or loose the trucks feel, or how much resistance it will give / how much it will bounce back, so you can still run quite a few different height tops and work out what feels best for each person.

Bushing height info here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112631.msg3874036#msg3874036

* Sorry I didn't see the new page / new posts above - you guys have it all under control.

you're good! thanks for the extra confirmation & the bushing link (bookmarked that). curious now what a taller but way softer bushing might feel like but i have a feeling it'd be like the NFG bushings lol

SlapMcKracken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #3424 on: October 29, 2022, 01:24:48 PM »
Is it normal that I have to loosen my new ventures a lot the second day? Skated just 30 minutes the first day and right in the beginning of the second time they were so tight.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3425 on: October 29, 2022, 02:43:34 PM »
Opposite for me my 5.6 never turned the first 3-5 sessions then felt great.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #3426 on: October 29, 2022, 03:31:58 PM »
Let’s see what’s happening the coming days.
But I love them. 5.8 on 8.25 Deck.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #3427 on: October 29, 2022, 04:24:32 PM »
when I had ventures they took a while to break in but eventually got nice and loose stock by just skating them. definitely had that characteristic where they started out nice out of the box, got too tight, then eventually got nice and broken in.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #3428 on: October 29, 2022, 04:32:42 PM »
They also freeze up really bad. Why can't deluxe make bushings that actually work when it's cold? Indy too.
Are ace, bones and royal bushings the only ones that don't change at all when it's freezing?

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3429 on: October 29, 2022, 05:13:37 PM »
They also freeze up really bad. Why can't deluxe make bushings that actually work when it's cold? Indy too.
Are ace, bones and royal bushings the only ones that don't change at all when it's freezing?

Can't speak for Ace, but Bones and Royal don't easily freeze up and they are great.

MxsDx

• Rep: 98
« Reply #3430 on: October 29, 2022, 09:59:56 PM »
Expand Quote
So in love with my 5.6s. If anyone ever catches me in another thread, talking about wanting to try/trying another brand than V, please shame me.
[close]

Same here. I'm done. I take back everything I said about Royals.  I'm back and here to stay.

Can you expand upon what brought you back to ventures and how the differ from royals?

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 178
« Reply #3431 on: October 30, 2022, 05:15:58 AM »
The stock 5.6 purple bushing have broken in nicely now

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
« Reply #3432 on: October 31, 2022, 09:06:38 AM »
Forgive me because I am sure this is answered elsewhere in this thread, but is the height the only difference between the Venture "loose" bushings and their regular bushings?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 788
« Reply #3433 on: October 31, 2022, 09:24:46 AM »
Forgive me because I am sure this is answered elsewhere in this thread, but is the height the only difference between the Venture "loose" bushings and their regular bushings?

yeah, both the stock venture bushings and the loose trucks kit are 90a bushings, but the loose trucks kit has a shorter top.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3434 on: October 31, 2022, 09:27:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah, both the stock venture bushings and the loose trucks kit are 90a bushings, but the loose trucks kit has a shorter top.

Excellent, thank you.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #3435 on: October 31, 2022, 10:36:57 AM »
Today I had my first session on Ventures since 2005. Felt like catching up with an old friend.

Coming from Aces, the difference was quite jarring at first, but after putting in the conversion kit bushings everything started to click. It really is a night and day difference between these and the purple stock bushings. I've gotta spend some more time on them, but so far I'm really digging them. Will keep the Ventures on a techy flippy ledgy setup and the Aces on a carvy turny surfy setup. Best of both worlds.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #3436 on: October 31, 2022, 11:04:34 AM »
Any thoughts on whether or not hollows/ti’s/raws grind differently?  My guess: no. 

That’s my only knock on ventures…….

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3437 on: October 31, 2022, 11:07:21 AM »
Today I had my first session on Ventures since 2005. Felt like catching up with an old friend.

Coming from Aces, the difference was quite jarring at first, but after putting in the conversion kit bushings everything started to click. It really is a night and day difference between these and the purple stock bushings. I've gotta spend some more time on them, but so far I'm really digging them. Will keep the Ventures on a techy flippy ledgy setup and the Aces on a carvy turny surfy setup. Best of both worlds.

i'm curious because i'm far from the target market for those conversion kit tops - how tight do you run them?

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #3438 on: October 31, 2022, 11:21:31 AM »
^ About a thread and a half showing. I'm 6'2", 200lb, size 12 shoes. I used to skate ridiculously tight trucks back in the day and only realized that turning is kinda nice when I got back into the game this summer. Had I not ridden Aces before these Ventures I probably would have kept the stock bushings, but now I really like responsive trucks, at least for the riding part. I might mix and match the bushings though if I find the whole conversion kit to be too loose for a consistent trick setup.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3439 on: October 31, 2022, 04:14:33 PM »
^ About a thread and a half showing. I'm 6'2", 200lb, size 12 shoes. I used to skate ridiculously tight trucks back in the day and only realized that turning is kinda nice when I got back into the game this summer. Had I not ridden Aces before these Ventures I probably would have kept the stock bushings, but now I really like responsive trucks, at least for the riding part. I might mix and match the bushings though if I find the whole conversion kit to be too loose for a consistent trick setup.

nice, thanks for the answer

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #3440 on: November 02, 2022, 02:25:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

wow, ok. to me the conversion kit felt waaaaayyyyy softer/looser than the standard worn in purple bushings of my used 5.6s. right now running a soft conical indy bushing on the low and the "loose kit"-top bushing. crazy loose, nice swerve, rarely any wheelbite, love my ventures.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1951
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3441 on: November 05, 2022, 08:55:42 AM »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #3442 on: November 05, 2022, 10:08:41 AM »
My buddy Ted Barrow (formerly feedback_ts) has a venture truck dropping soon. Polished, cast plate, hollow kingpin and axle with cast baseplates. Green bushings too.

Thats actually how the whole cast plate with hollow kp/axle thing came about. Around the start of the year when we skated one time he mentioned it to me so I told him to ask them to put a cast plate on hollow stuff. Then this past summer he told me agreed and also were gonna do it with the new kader truck too.

Seems like this combo is being well received. I've been very happy on indys the past two months but fuck this makes me want to get ventures again lol.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3443 on: November 05, 2022, 10:24:05 AM »
My buddy Ted Barrow (formerly feedback_ts) has a venture truck dropping soon. Polished, cast plate, hollow kingpin and axle with cast baseplates. Green bushings too.

Thats actually how the whole cast plate with hollow kp/axle thing came about. Around the start of the year when we skated one time he mentioned it to me so I told him to ask them to put a cast plate on hollow stuff. Then this past summer he told me agreed and also were gonna do it with the new kader truck too.

Seems like this combo is being well received. I've been very happy on indys the past two months but fuck this makes me want to get ventures again lol.

oh my!

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3444 on: November 05, 2022, 10:29:12 AM »

No disrespect to Feedback Ted but lmao

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3445 on: November 05, 2022, 10:46:50 AM »
Ok so I need these?

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #3446 on: November 05, 2022, 10:51:13 AM »
I don’t get the cast vs forged baseplate thing.
What’s the real difference? Tiny bit weight only?

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #3447 on: November 05, 2022, 11:16:53 AM »
forged plates are thinner and lower the ride height. also makes a tinnier sound which some people aren’t a fan of.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3448 on: November 05, 2022, 11:27:35 AM »

Forged parts are essentially "pressed" into their shape with intense heat and pressure. This allows for a higher tensile strength and finer grain, which results in a part of equivalent or greater strength, and with lower weight, than what is allowed by casting.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3449 on: November 05, 2022, 01:00:52 PM »
Also they push the wheels out marginally.

The "big deal" about these trucks is that cast Ventures have a heavier pop feel and the weight reduction seems to make that a bit better. Ventures also have really nice snap, so it's a snappy pop with a lighter pop feel.