Author Topic: London! Where to go, and What to see?  (Read 2274 times)

Elderly Gentleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
London! Where to go, and What to see?
« on: August 10, 2015, 06:11:15 AM »
Are there any London locals around?  My wife surprised me for my birthday with tickets to the World Dart Championships in December at the Alexandria Palace.  I know it'll probably be freezing cold, but I know there's a skate park near the palace.  Is there anyone on the forum who lives near there or knows the area?  I was wondering if there's a skate shop that's a must visit.  Also any recommendations on a hotel nearby?  We've got the tournament tickets and flights booked.  We haven't booked the hotel yet.  Also any advice on good restaurants and transportation options would be awesome. 
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

Blanco

• Rep: 2
Re: London! Where to go, and What to see?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 06:12:25 AM »
There is a skatepark right next to Alexandra Palace but it is fairly crappy, just prefabricated ramps and a pyramid/driveway. Nearby in Muswell Hill there is a fun little plaza type park, although it could flow better if it had some transition too - http://freestyleskateparks.com/skatepark/coldfall

Alexandra Palace and Muswell Hill are nice safe areas but a bit boring. For food you could head down towards the Harringay/Green Lanes areas where there are lots of good cheap Turkish restaurants. A little further away but with more food/drinking options are Camden/Kentish Town.

I'm not sure about hotels really, maybe give airbnb a try? You might find an apartment you like.

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 06:55:41 AM »
Awesome!  Thanks for the pointers!  We are really excited about the trip.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

Blanco

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 03:20:25 AM »
Also in Camden Town there is a good skate shop called Three Amigos. Or if you are heading into central London, then Slam City is worth a visit.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 06:39:17 PM »
If you want to have a view of the city, the London Eye is quite good. Book tickets online as the queues can be insane, they are a bit expensive but worth it if you are only going there once.It is also 5 minutes from South Bank which is worth seeing and having a little roll on. There are also boat rides up to Greenwich (I think). They point out a lot of historical stuff and only cost a tenner. There is a bar on board or you can buy drinks and food from a supermarket and sail up and down the river. This is all pretty standard touristy stuff but you can include South Bank and spend a pleasant and fairly cheap day seeing London and not getting too stressed. All within 10 minutes of Embankment tube station.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 04:57:27 AM »
Whoop! I'll be in London early march, just going there for a 3 day trip by myself. So I have question: what would be a good location for a hostel? There are a couple close to Hyde Park and one in Bow, both of them seem nice (and not heavily overpriced).

ratherwatch

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 09:12:49 AM »
Whoop! I'll be in London early march, just going there for a 3 day trip by myself. So I have question: what would be a good location for a hostel? There are a couple close to Hyde Park and one in Bow, both of them seem nice (and not heavily overpriced).
Been told these are quite good and its pretty central:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186338-d282823-Reviews-St_Christopher_s_Village_London_Bridge-London_England.html
and if you want a quick blast of old stuff that even many Londoners dont know about for a rainy day:

Is just back from Oxford Street near the Edgeware Road end.

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 12:54:32 PM »
food wise give Belgo a visit - there's one about 5 mins from Slam City I think - the Moules are great (and they have a great range of beers).  They also do a good offer where if you finish and pay between 5 and 6pm then you pay whatever is on the clock for your meal (think this was from a set menu, but still great food for 5 or 6 quid)

ratherwatch

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 02:19:08 AM »
This pizza place just north of the other end of oxford street/ west of Tottenham Court road also does very nice pizzas for a fiver:
http://icco.co.uk/

That area is called Fitzrovia and its pretty nice as central London goes and quiet at the weekends with a few non- spot type spots in the vicinity if you have a roam around.

Foray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • Miglios
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 04:31:23 PM »
My girlfriend and I are in London til Monday.  Anyone have any recommendations for bars good for our age (mid 20's)?   Also. Let me know if anyone wants to meet up