Author Topic: Chapman blank decks  (Read 1778 times)

Chapman blank decks
« on: December 13, 2021, 01:57:00 PM »
Just recently ordered a chapman blank size 8.38 off newyorkskateboards.com. Initial thoughts were it was a but long for my liking. Measured to about 32.25 and the nose is a bit larger than the tail. Not a bad shape. Tapered on both the nose and tail but not too pointy. The concave seemed pretty mellow which I like but I noticed something that I find happen alot with blank boards. The nose and tail are very flat. This happens with alot of blank boards which is the main reason I don't like them. Almost feels as if my foot is sitting on top of the board as apposed to kinda hugging it when there is a slight bit of concave to the nose and tail. Just figured I'd share, not sure if anyone else has felt this but it usually happens with alot of blank decks I've tried. The wood itself seemed good but I just wasn't a fan of the overall length and feel of the nose and tail.

90sDamiano

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -82
Re: Chapman blank decks
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 03:52:39 PM »
Thanks for this info

dumptruck12

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: -104
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 05:18:26 PM »
Tbh, I’ve skated three now, and some shapes were great and the latest one is super flat, but overall not bad

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 07:40:06 PM »
They are said to be from Clutch woodshop.

Anything stamped on top, eg a letter and number between the front bolts?

That was the usual mark from Clutch, but I have heard some do not when they are going to specific places, or for some brands.

Often (but not always) Clutch has something like this:

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 08:53:04 PM »
i have skated many of these in 8.25, to the point that skating standard BBS 8.25 felt off lol. $35 shipped w/grip is pretty awesome

i've been trying to downsize and skated 2 in 7.75, both of which cracked on the first day, and I stay pretty low impact. To be fair I land my tricks real shitty, but ymmv.

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 05:12:30 AM »
They are said to be from Clutch woodshop.

Anything stamped on top, eg a letter and number between the front bolts?

That was the usual mark from Clutch, but I have heard some do not when they are going to specific places, or for some brands.

Often (but not always) Clutch has something like this:

There was no stamp or sticker on the Chapman. It reminds me of the Churchill manufacturing decks. I just recently got a skatewarehouse deck and it has the clutch wood stamp and sticker. I'm going to see how it compares.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 07:31:28 AM »
i buy all my skateboards from new york skateboards dot com

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 988
  • the moon rules
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 08:43:04 AM »
Just recently ordered a chapman blank size 8.38 off newyorkskateboards.com. Initial thoughts were it was a but long for my liking. Measured to about 32.25 and the nose is a bit larger than the tail. Not a bad shape. Tapered on both the nose and tail but not too pointy. The concave seemed pretty mellow which I like but I noticed something that I find happen alot with blank boards. The nose and tail are very flat. This happens with alot of blank boards which is the main reason I don't like them. Almost feels as if my foot is sitting on top of the board as apposed to kinda hugging it when there is a slight bit of concave to the nose and tail. Just figured I'd share, not sure if anyone else has felt this but it usually happens with alot of blank decks I've tried. The wood itself seemed good but I just wasn't a fan of the overall length and feel of the nose and tail.
Thank you for your review [email protected]. I skated plenty of Chapman boards around 2007-2009. They mostly had real mellow concave and mellow tails/noses. I feel like flatter boards is their vibe. They were also one of the stronger boards at the time. Curious as to why they sort of stopped manufacturing for other companies
fuck you bama

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 10:33:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Thank you for your review [email protected]. I skated plenty of Chapman boards around 2007-2009. They mostly had real mellow concave and mellow tails/noses. I feel like flatter boards is their vibe. They were also one of the stronger boards at the time. Curious as to why they sort of stopped manufacturing for other companies

Ya it's feels like a strong board and has a nice shape, just not my cup of tea. I like a mellow concave but the nose and tail seemed overly flat. Maybe I'm just used to bbs, I mostly skate antiheros.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 03:18:13 PM »
Anyone have any more info on what went down?

I see from the instagram posts what seems like their own wood up until 2017 to early 2018, then no posts until two years later in 2020, so guessing this is when things happened.

Seems like they are still doing rad things and people are stoked on them, which is good.

I recall having a couple of Chapman boards way back when things were in full production and they were good boards.

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 12:59:22 PM »
Anyone have any more info on what went down?

I see from the instagram posts what seems like their own wood up until 2017 to early 2018, then no posts until two years later in 2020, so guessing this is when things happened.

Seems like they are still doing rad things and people are stoked on them, which is good.

I recall having a couple of Chapman boards way back when things were in full production and they were good boards.

Update on the clutch wood deck from skate warehouse. It had the stamp and sticker. Nose and tail are even more flat than the chapman. Maybe it's just me but it literally almost feels like it bows up into my foot. I skated this deck all day and it's great but still feels weird on my feet when on the nose and tail. Gonna try a blank from tactics which I think is bbs wood? And compare.

animalflesh

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2021, 03:55:58 PM »
Chapman is officially done with pressing boards and shut down the Maine (I think it was Maine) location

All wood is from clutch moving forward and Chapman prints and distros

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2021, 06:13:10 AM »
Chapman is officially done with pressing boards and shut down the Maine (I think it was Maine) location

All wood is from clutch moving forward and Chapman prints and distros

Spot on. IIRC they lost their main financial backer and that forced them to close the shop.