Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797547 times)

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1710 on: April 26, 2019, 12:03:19 PM »
Expand Quote
I was lying on my office couch and pondered: what’s the purpose of the conical outside of lock ins?
[close]

Rolling over coping is easier with a rounded edge.

makes sense, but why conical cut? why didnt they make lock-ins just a way wider tablet shape?
my understanding is that the conical cut is meant to reduce friction/contact when grinding, so theres no real purpose on putting it on the outside? maybe it was to reduce weight or move the center of mass of the wheel? maybe just a reversible twofer: tablet AND conical all in one. no idea just brainstorming.

Expand Quote
and why are wheels usually symmetrical?
[close]
So you can flip them when they start to cone out and use them longer.

huh, cool. if im honest im not super aware of/familiar with coning. is it more bc of weight distribution, turning, or bc of wheelbite? that could totally explain my weird looking wheels as a kid... does it happen more often on wider wheels?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 12:04:56 PM by Weon »
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

GasTheHostage

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -23
« Reply #1711 on: April 26, 2019, 12:12:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was lying on my office couch and pondered: what’s the purpose of the conical outside of lock ins?
[close]

Rolling over coping is easier with a rounded edge.
[close]

makes sense, but why conical cut? why didnt they make lock-ins just a way wider tablet shape?
my understanding is that the conical cut is meant to reduce friction/contact when grinding, so theres no real purpose on putting it on the outside? maybe it was to reduce weight or move the center of mass of the wheel? maybe just a reversible twofer: tablet AND conical all in one. no idea just brainstorming.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
and why are wheels usually symmetrical?
[close]
So you can flip them when they start to cone out and use them longer.
[close]

huh, cool. if im honest im not super aware of/familiar with coning. is it more bc of weight distribution, turning, or bc of wheelbite? that could totally explain my weird looking wheels as a kid... does it happen more often on wider wheels?
Coning happens when the material wears off from landings and grinds and whatever. Im assuming it does happen more often to wider wheels (cuz they're wider?)

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 136
« Reply #1712 on: April 26, 2019, 05:01:05 PM »

I got these Loopholes 54s about a week or so ago. It's a new shape they're bringing out.
Its like a conical shape but without the side cuts. Round edges but flat in the middle. They have the yellow look with random imperfections in the color, looks even better to me.
The loopholes I've been skating have been great and seem to hold up. They are pretty much F4s and really are enjoying these wheels. Has anybody else been riding them?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1713 on: April 26, 2019, 11:41:53 PM »
I've found with conicals I don't primo as often with my crop dusting flip trick game....works better for slappies too....

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1714 on: April 27, 2019, 12:22:38 AM »

I got these Loopholes 54s about a week or so ago. It's a new shape they're bringing out.
Its like a conical shape but without the side cuts. Round edges but flat in the middle. They have the yellow look with random imperfections in the color, looks even better to me.
The loopholes I've been skating have been great and seem to hold up. They are pretty much F4s and really are enjoying these wheels. Has anybody else been riding them?

Wouldn't that make them radials? Look more or less like a set of older Silas F4 Radials I just set up. Not complaining, wish more brands offered that shape.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:46:26 AM by palelight »

Fifty8mm

« Reply #1715 on: April 27, 2019, 05:11:04 AM »
[quote author=palelight link=topic=82118.msg3012862#msg3012862

[/quote]

Wouldn't that make them radials? Look more or less like a set of older Silas F4 Radials I just set up. Not complaining, wish more brands offered that shape.
[/quote]

Similar but there is more "curve" on a Radial (which is my favorite wheel) than on the Loophole shape. Still need to skate this set but my regular shaped Loophole still have lots of life left.

papo

• Rep: -191
« Reply #1716 on: April 28, 2019, 01:21:15 PM »
I just bought 60mm spit classics.  I saw Koston had a set on some thunders without risers and it sent me on a downward spiral.

Hows your experience?
I also have 60s classic on my cruiser and wondered how they would do on my street deck.

SadandLonely

• Rep: -30
« Reply #1717 on: April 28, 2019, 06:44:37 PM »
I've been skating spitfire conicals fulls 101a and one of my wheels is down to 49mm. Is it time for new wheels?

talklessSkateMore

• Rep: -40
« Reply #1718 on: April 28, 2019, 07:23:55 PM »
If you no longer enjoy riding them
it said to learn how to tie for a reason.
This is all structured as a trap.
Tied by those who know the fundamentals.

SweetDickWilly666

« Reply #1719 on: April 29, 2019, 01:59:07 AM »
I Been riding the 54s with the same graphic but the classic shape and I love them it’s been almost a month and they are holding up super well and are very similar to F4s

papo

« Reply #1720 on: April 29, 2019, 05:10:56 AM »
Girl wheels - has anyone tried them? Whats the story on these?

SadandLonely

« Reply #1721 on: April 29, 2019, 07:35:27 AM »
Decided to rotate them cuz I like how they slide :)

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 791
« Reply #1722 on: April 29, 2019, 07:35:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wheels that are made by a board company are always a bad idea.

i've heard some good stuff about aws wheels

SadandLonely

« Reply #1723 on: April 29, 2019, 07:36:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The Clone wheels? They used to have AVE and Dill so yeah guess they are ok.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 791
« Reply #1724 on: April 29, 2019, 07:43:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah, i believe they're still called clone today. i'd like to try them out some day but alien workshop boards are rare in poland, let alone their wheels

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1725 on: April 29, 2019, 08:12:20 AM »
If AWS/Clone wheels now are even half as terrible as they used to be, don't bother. I used to skate them constantly out of brand loyalty and it was probably the worst decision that I ever made, gear-wise. They were slow, slid horribly, and got chunked super fast.

SadandLonely

« Reply #1726 on: April 29, 2019, 08:17:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

yeah, i believe they're still called clone today. i'd like to try them out some day but alien workshop boards are rare in poland, let alone their wheels
I love AWS, are habitat and aws still together? But I would like to branch off to a real.

rip louis b.k.

• Rep: 15
  • im fadies
« Reply #1727 on: April 29, 2019, 08:39:01 AM »
I Been riding the 54s with the same graphic but the classic shape and I love them it’s been almost a month and they are holding up super well and are very similar to F4s

Expand Quote

[close]

Better or worse or just around the same as F4's? I been eyeing some 56mm v-cut loopholes because I wanna get on my Nick Boserio shit

SadandLonely

« Reply #1728 on: April 29, 2019, 08:48:54 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Better or worse or just around the same as F4's? I been eyeing some 56mm v-cut loopholes because I wanna get on my Nick Boserio shit
some local guy at my shop works for them and he describes them as “Formula 5”. I looked at the wheels and they do look like they could be the formula 5 but please someone elaborate more on this!

Diocletian

« Reply #1729 on: April 29, 2019, 09:41:33 AM »
From the information I was told, loophole’s are a “formula 5” and are made by the person who previously worked for spitfire and created the F4’s. I skated their classic shaped ones for the first time recently and I didn’t like them at all. They have no chirp whatsoever on any surface when you powerslide...none. They were even more slippery than 101a F4’s which is completely unnecessary. I chucked them in my junk parts box and went back and bought different wheels.

SadandLonely

« Reply #1730 on: April 29, 2019, 09:51:11 AM »
From the information I was told, loophole’s are a “formula 5” and are made by the person who previously worked for spitfire and created the F4’s. I skated their classic shaped ones for the first time recently and I didn’t like them at all. They have no chirp whatsoever on any surface when you powerslide...none. They were even more slippery than 101a F4’s which is completely unnecessary. I chucked them in my junk parts box and went back and bought different wheels.
I like to slide so what you said about slipping doesn’t bother me...

talklessSkateMore

• Rep: -40
« Reply #1731 on: April 29, 2019, 10:35:47 AM »
F5 hype
it said to learn how to tie for a reason.
This is all structured as a trap.
Tied by those who know the fundamentals.

papo

« Reply #1732 on: April 29, 2019, 10:44:51 AM »
I just ordered some Slim Radials in 101 - a first for me.

Fuck yo couch

Fifty8mm

« Reply #1733 on: April 29, 2019, 10:48:54 AM »
the weird thing for me once I wore them out a bit, about two days, they skated perfectly, before that I was about to toss em as well. Now I prefer them over my F4s.

SadandLonely

« Reply #1734 on: April 29, 2019, 11:40:58 AM »
the weird thing for me once I wore them out a bit, about two days, they skated perfectly, before that I was about to toss em as well. Now I prefer them over my F4s.
I will fuck with loophole next I think...

SadandLonely

« Reply #1735 on: April 29, 2019, 04:16:33 PM »
Does anyone else have a problem with sliding spitfire conical fulls when the graphic is in? Is it just me???

BMCsteve

• Rep: 55
« Reply #1736 on: April 29, 2019, 04:33:11 PM »
Does anyone else have a problem with sliding spitfire conical fulls when the graphic is in? Is it just me???

just you

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1737 on: April 29, 2019, 04:46:02 PM »
[quote author=palelight link=topic=82118.msg3012862#msg3012862

[/quote]

Similar but there is more "curve" on a Radial (which is my favorite wheel) than on the Loophole shape. Still need to skate this set but my regular shaped Loophole still have lots of life left.
[/quote]

Understood. Let us know how they skate when you set em up. Radials are my favourite as well, but it seems like Spitfire is offering fewer options of the full sized Radials with every drop (but then have like 15 different conicals/conical fulls....).

SadandLonely

« Reply #1738 on: April 29, 2019, 05:10:34 PM »
I switched to my dial tones... Im gonna go back to spitfire now...

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #1739 on: April 29, 2019, 08:13:47 PM »
anybody know where to find some really small wheels 45mm or under?