Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797587 times)

usedtostillskate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1890 on: July 07, 2019, 04:52:40 AM »
Expand Quote
If anyone is interested in knowing about ricta rapidos, I gave them a chance for about 5 sessions before giving up. They're fast and remind me somewhat of landsharks with their speed. They're way softer feeling though. I had to switch back to my bones stf though since it took way too much work to get them to slide. I didn't have any problems with the bones anyways just wanted to give rictas a try. Overall they weren't too bad but if you like sliding don't bother.
[close]

Ricta Rapido, felt slow and soft to me. No way they were at the level of landsharks (man those cored 101s were the shit); also that whole rapido line had the worst shapes and size combos out, plus the slime was nowhere near slim except compared to the rest of the line.
I actually liked the shape of the slim a lot. It just took a ton of work to get them to slide. I also forgot to mention that I had little chunks coming out of the sides after the first session on them. It didn't affect their performance but made them seem cheap.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1891 on: July 07, 2019, 11:14:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
If anyone is interested in knowing about ricta rapidos, I gave them a chance for about 5 sessions before giving up. They're fast and remind me somewhat of landsharks with their speed. They're way softer feeling though. I had to switch back to my bones stf though since it took way too much work to get them to slide. I didn't have any problems with the bones anyways just wanted to give rictas a try. Overall they weren't too bad but if you like sliding don't bother.
[close]

Ricta Rapido, felt slow and soft to me. No way they were at the level of landsharks (man those cored 101s were the shit); also that whole rapido line had the worst shapes and size combos out, plus the slime was nowhere near slim except compared to the rest of the line.
[close]
I actually liked the shape of the slim a lot. It just took a ton of work to get them to slide. I also forgot to mention that I had little chunks coming out of the sides after the first session on them. It didn't affect their performance but made them seem cheap.

I was a nice shape, it just wasn't slim compared to say, Bones V3s, those slim spit classics but slim only when compared to the rest of the rapido line. I usually like Rictas but that run didn't offer up what I wanted. Given how they change the line every 6months, cored, slix, coredslixclearsupertractiongripslidewheels, I'm sure they'll keep trying...Naturals, crystals and Chrome Cores were they best they've ever done.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1892 on: July 08, 2019, 08:32:58 AM »
Just switched back to my old worn F4's, that are now 45mm. Its terrible, its like the board doesnt get enough leverage to keep up, so I have to move my feet slower.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #1893 on: July 08, 2019, 08:46:11 AM »
update on the  ACID Chem Pods

they're awesome, they roll over everything, they don't bounce around a ton when you pop and they're starting to slide a little bit

i'm gonna buy some of the Skaterade ones for my other cruiser which look like more of a classic/radial shape

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #1894 on: July 08, 2019, 06:10:20 PM »
I really want to try those Fat Bundts wheels. Currently riding the Hitek 45mm wheels they are sick but only thing I dont like about tiny skinny wheels is that you feel like you are on tracks sometimes.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 55
« Reply #1895 on: July 08, 2019, 07:29:39 PM »
I really want to try those Fat Bundts wheels. Currently riding the Hitek 45mm wheels they are sick but only thing I dont like about tiny skinny wheels is that you feel like you are on tracks sometimes.

you might like these.  the riding surface is a little bigger than 54mm Spit classic shape.  can't wait until I can really skate them

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1896 on: July 08, 2019, 08:46:57 PM »
Recently bought a set of 99du 52 mm Spitfire F4 Radial Slims. I've pretty much only skated 99du 52-54 mm Classics for as long as I can remember. Gonna wear these old wheels down for another few weeks before setting up the new ones.

I wanted to try something different and was drawn to the thinner shape and relatively wider riding surface.

Anybody care to share their experiences when making this switch?

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #1897 on: July 08, 2019, 09:25:41 PM »
Recently bought a set of 99du 52 mm Spitfire F4 Radial Slims. I've pretty much only skated 99du 52-54 mm Classics for as long as I can remember. Gonna wear these old wheels down for another few weeks before setting up the new ones.

I wanted to try something different and was drawn to the thinner shape and relatively wider riding surface.

I really want to skate the radials

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1898 on: July 08, 2019, 11:50:42 PM »

I've always rode classics but a year or two ago I decided to make a second setup for shitty spots as to not destroy boards so quick. I wanted something that was similar to a classic with a bit more riding surface and many people here said the radials felt like pre-worn down classics. After having ridden them for a while, I'd agree with that.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1899 on: July 10, 2019, 01:28:26 PM »
Looks like bones is doing natural colours for those who don't like it too white,...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1900 on: July 10, 2019, 05:29:31 PM »
Looks like bones is doing natural colours for those who don't like it too white,...

Looks like they ditched the 'dirty birds' monicker for 'naturals' this drop.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1901 on: July 13, 2019, 08:44:19 PM »
Anyone try the new Spitfire Hard chargers 80a? They now have a plastic core and I think they are using a new formula and I was curious how they hold up.

I just got some Bones rough riders to hit some of the crustier spots around me and big chunks came out of them on the first day (though otherwise they were fantastic), so I figured I would see if the new Spitfires are any better than the old hard chargers

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1902 on: July 14, 2019, 12:53:23 AM »
Anyone try the new Spitfire Hard chargers 80a? They now have a plastic core and I think they are using a new formula and I was curious how they hold up.

I just got some Bones rough riders to hit some of the crustier spots around me and big chunks came out of them on the first day (though otherwise they were fantastic), so I figured I would see if the new Spitfires are any better than the old hard chargers

The 80HD Chargers? Or have they come up with some other similarly named wheel? The 80HDs are the slowest wheels I've ever skated. Slow on crusty stuff, slow on smooth stuff. Useless. Get OJ Keyframes instead if you want smooth wheels. Those are amazing.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1903 on: July 14, 2019, 02:31:44 AM »

They've been cored for a while now. I bought a set in 2017 that were cored. And as Roisto said, slow as fuck. I'd also add they feel about as hard as 92a when actually riding, not a good thing for a cruiser wheel. Slow, gummy, and not forgiving on cracks, stones, etc. For pure cruising Rough Riders slay (bummer about yours chunking out). I'll second the Oj Keyframes, smooth ride plus you can still ollie without it feeling like a Buick.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1904 on: July 14, 2019, 03:51:55 AM »
has anyone skated these? could build a cruiser with a set of softer wheels, but i don't want to go too fluffy.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1905 on: July 14, 2019, 06:39:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They've been cored for a while now. I bought a set in 2017 that were cored. And as Roisto said, slow as fuck. I'd also add they feel about as hard as 92a when actually riding, not a good thing for a cruiser wheel. Slow, gummy, and not forgiving on cracks, stones, etc. For pure cruising Rough Riders slay (bummer about yours chunking out). I'll second the Oj Keyframes, smooth ride plus you can still ollie without it feeling like a Buick.

Gotcha, I had three sets of the Hard chargers in 2017/8 which didn’t have cores but maybe I got old ones or something. Sucks that the cored ones aren’t any better!

Yeah, the Rough riders are fantastic aside from the chunking. I rode some G-slides for a while that were awesome and didn’t chunk at all, but couldn’t handle some of the rougher spots the same way the Rough riders do.

Cool, I’ll check out some key frames. I was thinking about trying the Super juice minis too, as they are 78a (iirc) and are supposed to be chip/flake resistant, or at least more so than other wheels of the same duro

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1906 on: July 14, 2019, 06:41:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The 80HD Chargers? Or have they come up with some other similarly named wheel? The 80HDs are the slowest wheels I've ever skated. Slow on crusty stuff, slow on smooth stuff. Useless. Get OJ Keyframes instead if you want smooth wheels. Those are amazing.

Yeah, I think those are the same. Bummer they suck so bad, thanks!

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #1907 on: July 14, 2019, 08:02:40 AM »
Should I rotate my wheels? One is like 48mm while the rest are like 50 or 49mm and I want them all the look equal, any advice?

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #1908 on: July 14, 2019, 08:25:15 AM »
Should I rotate my wheels? One is like 48mm while the rest are like 50 or 49mm and I want them all the look equal, any advice?

Yeah, front left to back right, front right back left, etc. I believe it helps, but it may not. If one of your wheels is significantly different from the others, get a new set, though.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1909 on: July 14, 2019, 08:45:33 AM »
has anyone skated these? could build a cruiser with a set of softer wheels, but i don't want to go too fluffy.

I had a set of the 92a ditch witches in 56mm. IMO they're not worth it...very slow, poor slide, and my 99 F4s honestly perform better on the same shitty spots.

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #1910 on: July 14, 2019, 10:37:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, front left to back right, front right back left, etc. I believe it helps, but it may not. If one of your wheels is significantly different from the others, get a new set, though.
they feel really slow because of how small they’ve gotten might skate some 56’s next

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1911 on: July 14, 2019, 10:41:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had a set of the 92a ditch witches in 56mm. IMO they're not worth it...very slow, poor slide, and my 99 F4s honestly perform better on the same shitty spots.

thanks for your honest opinion

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #1912 on: July 14, 2019, 12:07:46 PM »
Yeah I find those low 90s durometers are too much compromise and don’t really work for anything.

Go at least mid 80s if you want a nice cruiser or softie

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1913 on: July 14, 2019, 01:46:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Gotcha, I had three sets of the Hard chargers in 2017/8 which didn’t have cores but maybe I got old ones or something. Sucks that the cored ones aren’t any better!

Yeah, the Rough riders are fantastic aside from the chunking. I rode some G-slides for a while that were awesome and didn’t chunk at all, but couldn’t handle some of the rougher spots the same way the Rough riders do.

Cool, I’ll check out some key frames. I was thinking about trying the Super juice minis too, as they are 78a (iirc) and are supposed to be chip/flake resistant, or at least more so than other wheels of the same duro

Curious, how'd the Rough Riders chunk out? Bones is usually good with returns, might be able to snag a replacement set if they're new-ish. Could have been a fluke.

A buddy had the Super Juice Mini's, they felt pretty similar to the Rough Riders when you're on the board, I prefer the shape of the RR's but that's just taste.

Keyframe's are definitely not as smooth as the 78/80d wheels, but they're smooth enough, plus with the standard conical shape and smaller sizes you can pretty much mimic the feel of a normal setup without your pop going to shit. I find myself grabbing my normal size 8.5 with 54mm keyframes for cruising over my big board with the Rough Riders 9 times out of 10, cuts out the weird adjustment period, for me anyway. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 01:54:43 PM by palelight »

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1914 on: July 14, 2019, 02:01:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Curious, how'd the Rough Riders chunk out? Bones is usually good with returns, might be able to snag a replacement set if they're new-ish. Could have been a fluke.

A buddy had the Super Juice Mini's, they felt pretty similar to the Rough Riders when you're on the board, I prefer the shape of the RR's but that's just taste.

Keyframe's are definitely not as smooth as the 78/80d wheels, but they're smooth enough, plus they with the standard conical shape and smaller sizes you can pretty much mimic the feel of a normal setup without your pop going to shit. I find myself grabbing my normal size 8.5 with 54mm keyframes for cruising over my big board with the Rough Riders 9 times out of 10, cuts out the weird adjustment period, for me anyway.

Well, basically half inch thick and about one inch long chunks have come out of the edges of three of the wheels so far and I’ve only had them for three days. I’ve just been riding on rough blacktop and concrete but not trying to slide them or anything. Doing mostly ollies, grinds and boardslides, so nothing that would normally chunk wheels like that. I’ve seen a bunch of complaints online about people having similar problems with RR’s.

I ordered from amazon (old gift card) so I’ll just send them back for a refund but I’m thinking I’ll probably try those Super juice minis next as they are supposed to be resistant to flaking like that. I would just get another set of G-slides, which don’t flake at all, but the 80a/78a wheels feel a lot better on some of the places I’m trying to skate.

The only thing I’m hesitant about is the Super juice minis being significantly wider than the Rough riders. I like the RR shape also and am not sure I’ll like the width of the SJ mini
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 02:20:04 PM by Sundaynuggets »

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1915 on: July 14, 2019, 02:50:37 PM »

Well, basically half inch thick and about one inch long chunks have come out of the edges of three of the wheels so far and I’ve only had them for three days. I’ve just been riding on rough blacktop and concrete but not trying to slide them or anything. Doing mostly ollies, grinds and boardslides, so nothing that would normally chunk wheels like that. I’ve seen a bunch of complaints online about people having similar problems with RR’s.

I ordered from amazon (old gift card) so I’ll just send them back for a refund but I’m thinking I’ll probably try those Super juice minis next as they are supposed to be resistant to flaking like that. I would just get another set of G-slides, which don’t flake at all, but the 80a/78a wheels feel a lot better on some of the places I’m trying to skate.

The only thing I’m hesitant about is the Super juice minis being significantly wider than the Rough riders. I like the RR shape also and am not sure I’ll like the width of the SJ mini

Bummer. I remember seeing some complaints a few years back but haven't really followed up. Guess I'm lucky mine have held tough for the last year and a half.

I don't remember the mini juices being any wider (I have the 59mm Rough Riders). Tactics lists the mini juices as 43mm wide and the RR's as 44mm (the 56mm RR's as 39mm).

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1916 on: July 14, 2019, 04:14:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Bummer. I remember seeing some complaints a few years back but haven't really followed up. Guess I'm lucky mine have held tough for the last year and a half.

I don't remember the mini juices being any wider (I have the 59mm Rough Riders). Tactics lists the mini juices as 43mm wide and the RR's as 44mm (the 56mm RR's as 39mm).

Interesting! Do you ride your RR’s on rough streets a lot?

Yeah, I’m riding the 56mm RR’s and would try the 55mm Mini Super juices, so I don’t know if I would like the jump from 39-43 wide, but I might just be over thinking it lol
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 07:07:20 PM by Sundaynuggets »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #1917 on: July 14, 2019, 06:10:45 PM »
Looks like Mini Logo is coming out with some 95s. Pic on their facebook shows a 56mm A-Cut 95a

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1918 on: July 14, 2019, 06:21:00 PM »

Interesting! Do you ride your RR’s on rough streets a lot?

Yeah, I’m riding the 56mm RR’s and would try the 55mm Mini Super juices, so I don’t know if I would like the jump from 39-44 wide, but I might just be over thinking it lol

I do. I'm in Canada so the roads are quite shit from snow and plows and whatever else. That said, the setup I have the RR's on is pretty strictly a cruiser - ollies and an occasional slappy so the wheels don't see much other than forward momentum.

Worth a shot. Finding the perfect cruiser wheel is, I think, the biggest pain in the ass, so it's worth casting a big net and trying out what you can.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1919 on: July 14, 2019, 06:55:06 PM »
Looks like Mini Logo is coming out with some 95s. Pic on their facebook shows a 56mm A-Cut 95a

Nice, I like their 90a wheel but hate their 101a’s. Would be cool to see if the 95a is any good