Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797543 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2190 on: October 21, 2019, 06:34:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Does everyone still agree the f4 lock ins are the best shape f4’s?
[close]

You can't rotate them and expect the same performance because of the asymmetrical shape.

That’s what I was thinking

Since you can’t rotate them are they actually as good as everyone claims
yes

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #2191 on: October 21, 2019, 07:57:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You can't rotate them and expect the same performance because of the asymmetrical shape.
[close]

How do you rotate your wheels? I do it like car tires and keep the inside and outside consistent. If you turn the outside inside and vice versa wouldn’t the wheels be double coned?

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2192 on: October 21, 2019, 10:42:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

How do you rotate your wheels? I do it like car tires and keep the inside and outside consistent. If you turn the outside inside and vice versa wouldn’t the wheels be double coned?

No. They just wear out more evenly. If I rotate my wheels, they never cone out. If I don't, they do.

I wouldn't get lock ins personally due to that. Never tried them though. Conical Fulls are treating me well and I see no reason to change.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2193 on: October 22, 2019, 09:36:34 AM »

While I haven't used them on my personal setups, as other have stated because of the asymmetrical shape, not the best shaped F4's. They're still really good from trying them on homies' set-ups.

Best shaped probably will have to go to either Conicals or Radials.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #2194 on: October 22, 2019, 09:49:04 AM »
The wackest. I’ve never had crooked grinds as a go to. And for the longest I could only do these really limp ones to fakie. It’s now a goal to get it solid before I can’t. People that can do them, can do them on any set up, but I was trying to give myself the easiest path: wider board, wider/looser trucks. So of course I’ve glanced at the lock ins and other f4 shapes. The 52 f4 classics work fine, and are maybe a little easier to slide compared to the fuller shapes?

Diocletian

« Reply #2195 on: October 23, 2019, 09:40:19 AM »
Nothing beats classic round shaped wheels, for me. I notice no significant difference in locking into grinds on coping or curbs between those and conicals.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #2196 on: October 23, 2019, 02:07:41 PM »
Nothing beats classic round shaped wheels, for me. I notice no significant difference in locking into grinds on coping or curbs between those and conicals.

Thanks for reply to my ridiculousness!
Fulls feel great smashing around, but I already have a hard time sliding (nose/tail).
Classics make my board feel a little more crispy/frisky.
Plus I really should not buy more things. It’s kjnda lame at this point.
Ty

drewbearz

« Reply #2197 on: October 23, 2019, 04:55:21 PM »
Anyone riding crupie wheels?

I got a two sets super cheap($12 each) and so far I'm liking them.

I'm just now getting back into skating after a long long long break but they seem pretty good. I don't have much of a frame of reference though. They're my first wheels other than some ccs wheels.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2198 on: October 23, 2019, 06:30:15 PM »

I'm just now getting back into skating after a long long long break but they seem pretty good. I don't have much of a frame of reference though. They're my first wheels other than some ccs wheels.

I haven't ride them in a while but when I did I liked them. I was able to get them similar to the price you were able to, and for that price they were very very good.

Admittedly, now that I'm back on F4s again, it's going to be hard to switch back to anything else again. My other setup has Bones STF's and the F4's feel so much better.

drewbearz

« Reply #2199 on: October 23, 2019, 07:15:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I haven't ride them in a while but when I did I liked them. I was able to get them similar to the price you were able to, and for that price they were very very good.

Admittedly, now that I'm back on F4s again, it's going to be hard to switch back to anything else again. My other setup has Bones STF's and the F4's feel so much better.

I think I'm going to end up switching to F4's or at least away to another wheel because I'm really intrigued by the tablet shape, or at least a wider shape than the crupie wheels. Those seem to bode well with shittier terrain and I'm on the east coast so pretty much all we have out here is rough terrain.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2200 on: October 24, 2019, 03:54:11 PM »
I went back to 52mm STF V3s recently (from easy streets/F4s), enjoying them, don't really notice the slim aspect at all, even on transition.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #2201 on: October 24, 2019, 08:00:07 PM »
Hey guys I need some help.

After close to two decades of trying to convince my little brother to pick up a skateboard he finally wants to give it a try.

My brother is a bigger guy, 6’1” with and built like a linebacker, and his main goals are to be able to cruise the streets comfortably and to be able to ollie up and down shit.  We already decided to go with a 8.5” deck since he wears a size 13 and Found my 8-8.25s too small for him.  Probably going for a 32 length and a 14.25-14.5 WB with some Indy’s.

Now I just need to help him decide on what wheels to get. We live in Wisconsin and our roads are complete shit. I also doubt he will be going to skateparks anytime soon.

What do you guys think he should go with? I’ve always rocked 52mm 99-103A STFs and F4s so I have no personal experience with what he’s looking for.  From the little research I’ve done I’m leaning towards Ricta Clouds or some OJ Mini Super Juices.  I was thinking 54-56mm so he can cruise comfortably yet be able to learn tricks and, if he ever chooses to, easily switch to some harder and smaller wheels when he gets better.  I think the OJs would be an easier wheel for him to cruise with but the shape is my main concern.

My current top pick are 54mm Ricta Clouds but even then idk if 78A or 86A would be better.  I love STFs and F4s but I really think 99A would be too much for him to handle.  I’m open to all suggestions.

Thanks for anyone that helps, this is a big deal for me to be able to skate with my brother finally.

99a is too much for him to handle? Must be a pussy

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2202 on: October 24, 2019, 10:04:39 PM »
I went back to 52mm STF V3s recently (from easy streets/F4s), enjoying them, don't really notice the slim aspect at all, even on transition.

Best wheel shape ever.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2203 on: October 25, 2019, 10:52:55 AM »
Expand Quote
I went back to 52mm STF V3s recently (from V1 easy streets/F4 classics), enjoying them, don't really notice the slim aspect at all, even on transition.
[close]

Best wheel shape ever.

I wish more companies made this shape; I was bummed when the thin spit classics came and went (and never in 101); Crupie has slims, SML (tho I don't think they make slim V cuts anymore), Wayward went fat so no more round slim, Autobahn is still in limbo it seems, Satori (underrated and underrepresented) still make a super slim wheel.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 06:47:25 PM by Xen »

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #2204 on: October 31, 2019, 05:42:46 AM »
super juice 60mm and mini super juice 55mm

someone sell me on buying these or another good cruiser wheel. currently riding 62mm bones ATF cruiser wheels and they feel a little too mushy sometimes. i've done keyframes before and haven't been a colossal fan.
good come sausage

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #2205 on: October 31, 2019, 05:43:48 AM »

someone sell me on buying these or another good cruiser wheel that i could actually ollie up a curb with and not be overly concerned about something going wrong. currently riding 62mm bones ATF cruiser wheels and they feel a little too mushy sometimes. i've done keyframes before and haven't been a colossal fan.
good come sausage

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #2206 on: October 31, 2019, 06:32:16 AM »
Expand Quote

someone sell me on buying these or another good cruiser wheel that i could actually ollie up a curb with and not be overly concerned about something going wrong. currently riding 62mm bones ATF cruiser wheels and they feel a little too mushy sometimes. i've done keyframes before and haven't been a colossal fan.
[close]

the ojs are all a little too soft, wide and square for me. i like the 54mm 87a key frames, feel a little like a beginner's wheel but very easy to manage and decent at keeping speed. also they are much lighter than most other smooth wheels.

still my favorite are 55mm powell ssf, maybe because i have ridden mine for such a long time now (and they are 53-ish) but they just feel best of all cruiser wheels i've tried, even though they are pretty wide.

PMA

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2207 on: October 31, 2019, 07:16:49 AM »

someone sell me on buying these or another good cruiser wheel. currently riding 62mm bones ATF cruiser wheels and they feel a little too mushy sometimes. i've done keyframes before and haven't been a colossal fan.

I have mini super juices. So the thing I like about these, vs the Other 78/80a soft wheels I’ve used are that they can roll over pretty much anything without chipping or flaking. I think the width allows them to roll over everything while still maintaining speed and they are soft enough where you don’t really feel like you are rolling over anything too rough. The minis are small enough to still do basic flip and ledge tricks. So I can ride rough spots and still do all my (limited) tricks on whatever I’m skating.

The problem I’ve had with other similar sized wheels in 78a is either they get torn apart super quick on rough surfaces (Bones rough riders), or they are too narrow to maintain good speed on these surfaces (smaller Rictas, except the 60mm), or they are simply slow rolling wheels for some reason (Spitfires chargers) or they are too bouncy and hard to ride (90a mini logos but they feel much much softer than that).

So I alternate between the Oj mini super juice and 54/56 mm Ricta clouds in 78a because those are the smoothest, most durable and comfortable soft wheels I’ve come across. The Rictas feel closer to normal street wheels as far as width goes, so I use those more for cruising around the city and hitting spots as I go. The Super juice I ise if I know I’m going to hit some really really crusty spots.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 07:26:14 AM by Sundaynuggets »

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2208 on: October 31, 2019, 08:30:27 AM »
Was just sold on keyframes in the gear you’re contemplating buying thread. What didn’t you like?
I don’t love the shape of the mini juice wheels.. wanting something a little more classic shape.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2209 on: November 05, 2019, 07:37:25 AM »
Hello fellow kids. Hoping someone could give me the lowdown on difference in wheel shapes from both Spitfire and Bones.

I current have 2 sets of Spitfires (52mm F1 Streetburners and 52mm Lock-Ins), was planning on trying some Bones V2 or V3 for a thinner wheel. I've been practicing BS Tailslides relentlessly over the past few weeks and notice my wheels / baseplate (Thunder Titanium 148mm, read that the the design causes more wheel sliding than baseplate) are sticking. I have the Lock-Ins fixed up to my board at the moment.

My questions would be:
1) Would going for a slimmer (and possibly smaller wheel, 51mm) make a significant difference in slide feel?
2) I'm getting a fair bit of wheel bite when skating flatland, would going to a 51mm help?
3) Should I consider flipping my Lock-Ins inside out? (logo side in)
4) If I went to Bones or Mini-Logos what shape would be good mostly park skating?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: This is my first foray into gear madness. when I started skateboarding in the early 2000s I only bought the cheapest blank wheels (or Mini Logos), swapped trucks without consideration for wheelbase or height, and decks were either big, small, mellow or flat. For the first time in 15 years I'm only just experiencing how little changes to my setup can change the feel of the board in small to drastic ways. I tried my Thunders with and without risers today and could instantly feel the difference.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 07:47:18 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2210 on: November 05, 2019, 08:03:02 AM »
Hello fellow kids. Hoping someone could give me the lowdown on difference in wheel shapes from both Spitfire and Bones.

I current have 2 sets of Spitfires (52mm F1 Streetburners and 52mm Lock-Ins), was planning on trying some Bones V2 or V3 for a thinner wheel. I've been practicing BS Tailslides relentlessly over the past few weeks and notice my wheels / baseplate (Thunder Titanium 148mm, read that the the design causes more wheel sliding than baseplate) are sticking. I have the Lock-Ins fixed up to my board at the moment.

My questions would be:
1) Would going for a slimmer (and possibly smaller wheel, 51mm) make a significant difference in slide feel?
2) I'm getting a fair bit of wheel bite when skating flatland, would going to a 51mm help?
4) If I went to Bones or Mini-Logos what shape would be good mostly park skating?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: This is my first foray into gear madness. when I started skateboarding in the early 2000s I only bought the cheapest blank wheels (or Mini Logos), swapped trucks without consideration for wheelbase or height, and decks were either big, small, mellow or flat. For the first time in 15 years I'm only just experiencing how little changes to my setup can change the feel of the board in small to drastic ways. I tried my Thunders with and without risers today and could instantly feel the difference.

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. Dunno

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2211 on: November 05, 2019, 08:12:30 AM »
Expand Quote

My questions would be:

Thanks in advance.

[close]

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. Dunno

Thanks for the direct reply
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2212 on: November 05, 2019, 02:23:26 PM »

My questions would be:

Thanks in advance.

1. Sizing down on wheels could help with the nose/tail slide issue. Waxing the edge of the ledge would be ideal with thunders. 
2. Sizing down would help with wheel bite.
3. i've never skated spitfires so can't help you
4. I think the shape would depend on what you prefer and what you skate at the park.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2213 on: November 05, 2019, 08:47:17 PM »
1) Resistance feel? Maybe (incoming surface area physics profs.)
2) Yes, depending on how loose your trucks are.
3) Should I consider flipping tossing my Lock-Ins inside out? (logo side in) and getting classics? Yes.
4) 53/54mm Bones V5 or Mini-Logos A-Cut (bigger if you skate tranny or go fast)

Person opinion/preference.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2214 on: November 06, 2019, 12:21:26 AM »
1) Resistance feel? Maybe (incoming surface area physics profs.)
2) Yes, depending on how loose your trucks are.
3) Should I consider flipping tossing my Lock-Ins inside out? (logo side in) and getting classics? Yes.
4) 53/54mm Bones V5 or Mini-Logos A-Cut (bigger if you skate tranny or go fast)

Person opinion/preference.

1) I'll try being less of a baby during my next session by going faster and waxing the edge of the ledge
2) Been loosening my trucks more in the recent past, not super wobbly but I'm getting a lot of carve
3) I've been studying the diagrams on the Spitfire page and can't visualize the difference, they look incredibly similar off the CAD drawing
4) I was thinking 50mm V3 or V5, my setup is feeling a little too light and poppy at the moment
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #2215 on: November 06, 2019, 07:53:43 AM »
I'm on my first pair of Bones Easy Streets, which I've skated for over a month now and already had to rotate. I feel like I don't normally have to rotate wheels this soon, and I've been skating the regular STFs for years now.
Anyone have the same issue?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2216 on: November 06, 2019, 08:48:54 AM »
Why doesn’t spitfire make a decent wheel <99a? Haven’t heard one positive review of the chargers

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #2217 on: November 06, 2019, 09:07:18 AM »
Why doesn’t spitfire make a decent wheel <99a? Haven’t heard one positive review of the chargers

Been wanting this too. Would like to try a 92a or 87a but the only thing mildly appealing are some smls. Any one have a good wheel they can recommend in that duro? Currently on f4 99 classics.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #2218 on: November 06, 2019, 09:34:04 AM »
87a keyframes feel good.

PMA

Roisto