Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797496 times)

Mulldrifter and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3090 on: June 25, 2020, 05:46:47 PM »
Just skated Satori P-Town Players 78a, they probably haven't been skated for like 9 or 10 years. Holy shit was not used to the speed and not being able to powerslide. Was HAULING ASS on some hills that are a casual bomb on regular wheels (F4 99a), got scared on a couple, so had to just hang on for dear life but holy shit are they fun! Made my cruising session so fun

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 06:02:58 PM by gsosa »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3091 on: June 25, 2020, 08:10:24 PM »
i start at 53mm and get real tired of my wheels on crusty ny roads at sub 50mm. would love to try 54+ wheels but that and my 8.75 axles dont pair well for flip tricks
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Diocletian

« Reply #3092 on: June 26, 2020, 04:49:19 PM »
No idea where their wheels are made but I've been on some 60mm 97a Dogtown "K9" wheels for a couple weeks and my skating has improved by a lot. Mainly because they just power over coping and parking blocks/curbs so easily and I get a lot of speed off a couple pushes. I'm a big wheel convert now, never going back to anything below 58mm.

weedgod94

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #3093 on: June 27, 2020, 12:25:09 PM »
I sold some gear and now I only have one set of wheels (53mm f4 classics), so I want another set. Kinda torn between more classics, trying radial slims, or getting autobahns for nostalgia. want something 52mm or under and slidey with a relatively thin contact patch. Open to suggestions.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 12:50:13 PM by weedgod94 »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3094 on: June 27, 2020, 07:30:30 PM »

Got these on sale at the local.
Bought em on a whim. Not getting my hopes up on these wheels at all, but I’ve been looking for a super slick and slidey wheel for a while, and the fact that it says “street formula” on there, it’s 101a, and the fact that DGK makes them and their team is known for super techy skating give me hope.

How are they?

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #3095 on: June 28, 2020, 11:32:55 AM »
Expand Quote

Got these on sale at the local.
Bought em on a whim. Not getting my hopes up on these wheels at all, but I’ve been looking for a super slick and slidey wheel for a while, and the fact that it says “street formula” on there, it’s 101a, and the fact that DGK makes them and their team is known for super techy skating give me hope.
[close]

How are they?
Haven’t had time to set them up and try them out yet; will definitely keep this thread updated on how they are though whenever I get a chance to try them.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #3096 on: June 28, 2020, 05:09:26 PM »
I may have asked this before.....anyone skated sml coffee cruisers? Looking to get a wheel that’s small, but good with crust. The Mike Anderson wheel was really great for the poor roads I’m around. Other options are small classics, or bigheads. Provided this stuff comes back in stock. Anyways, looking for small, and good, enough, on shitty roads.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #3097 on: June 28, 2020, 05:23:33 PM »
My Dial Tones are starting to cone after less then a month. Bummer, they skated well.

Time to go back to Bones STF or OJ elites.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3098 on: June 28, 2020, 05:44:57 PM »
My Dial Tones are starting to cone after less then a month. Bummer, they skated well.

Oppostie ends of the spectrum there, STF = slidey, OJ Elites = grippysticky

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3099 on: June 28, 2020, 05:49:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn I meant Insane-a-thane.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3100 on: June 29, 2020, 10:48:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Insane-a-thane was still grippier than STFs but much more slidey than the Elites (but Milton slides the fuck out of them...but he's also going at mach speeds ;)

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3101 on: June 29, 2020, 10:54:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Insane-a-thane was still grippier than STFs but much more slidey than the Elites (but Milton slides the fuck out of them...but he's also going at mach speeds ;)

Eh, I'm not much of a powerslider nor am I too picky with wheels as I pretty much skate manny pads and ledges exclusively. I just want 99a's that last long and those are my two favourites, the ground in Quebec is pretty shitty.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #3102 on: June 29, 2020, 11:51:49 AM »
Possible substitute for Bones Rough Riders? They may fall apart in one day, but I'm going to find out!

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #3103 on: June 29, 2020, 11:55:09 AM »

You don't rotate your wheels?

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3104 on: June 29, 2020, 11:57:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
You don't rotate your wheels?

Never had to after less than a month

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #3105 on: July 01, 2020, 04:03:36 PM »
Anyone skate Speedlab wheels?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3106 on: July 01, 2020, 07:20:50 PM »
Just a heads up but TGM is selling blank creative urathane wheels for $12 and for a $1 more comes with bearings. Seems like a great deal here.

https://www.ebay.com/p/538106404?iid=361969345566

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Skateboard-Wheels-Set-52mm-x-32mm-99A-Purple-White-Swirl-with-Bearings/372921264086?hash=item56d3d6e7d6:g:rygAAOSwtZpeYsDB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Skateboard-Wheels-Set-54mm-x-33mm-99A-Pink-White-Swirl-with-Bearings/362888375057?hash=item547dd52b11:g:1FkAAOSwISReYsC4

Seem like a great deal to hold you over or in general if the colors are fine. They have other creative urathane blanks but these seem to have the oj/ricta/sc core design and some conical/full shapes

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #3107 on: July 02, 2020, 07:57:39 AM »
Anyone skate Speedlab wheels?

They're creative urethane so same thing as jivaro/portland, some SML (I think they might use others too?), orbs, some nikired, and a bunch of other small companies. They're basically the BBS/PS Stix of wheels, if you see a wheel from a smaller company and its "made in the USA" then it's probably creative. They have really nice conical molds and the urethane is quite good. It's not like F4/NFG/STF good, but its better than say a bones 100 in my opinion. Which leads me to...

Just a heads up but TGM is selling blank creative urathane wheels for $12 and for a $1 more comes with bearings. Seems like a great deal here.

https://www.ebay.com/p/538106404?iid=361969345566

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Skateboard-Wheels-Set-52mm-x-32mm-99A-Purple-White-Swirl-with-Bearings/372921264086?hash=item56d3d6e7d6:g:rygAAOSwtZpeYsDB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Skateboard-Wheels-Set-54mm-x-33mm-99A-Pink-White-Swirl-with-Bearings/362888375057?hash=item547dd52b11:g:1FkAAOSwISReYsC4

Seem like a great deal to hold you over or in general if the colors are fine. They have other creative urathane blanks but these seem to have the oj/ricta/sc core design and some conical/full shapes

I posted these a while back in the sale gear thread and probably in here too. Unfortunately some of the good ones are all gone, there used to be a black/yellow 58mm 98a (speedlab exposure) and black/white 54mm 97a (orbs apparitions split) that were really good. I have both of them as well as the pink ones and as far as I can tell they're just overstock or the color (or duro in the black/white orbs case) was a little off or something. No discernible difference in quality between the blanks and the retail orbs I have and the black/yellow ones actually just had the speedlab graphics wiped off them (you can still faintly see them). Definitely recommend them if you're not one of those "if it ain't white it ain't right" wheel people.

It's actually slightly cheaper to buy them direct from TGM's site without the bearings, and the bearings are a total waste of a dollar. They weren't the ones pictured, but rather sealed/grease packed ones with a metal cage that were unskateable even after cleaning all the gunk out of them. Also I've ordered a lot of shit from TGM and it seems like it ships out faster if you order them direct through the site.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #3108 on: July 02, 2020, 09:02:11 AM »
Thank you! I knew I’d seen something about them. Just wasn’t sure if it was on here or some random dream. May check them out.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3109 on: July 04, 2020, 07:27:28 AM »
Am I missing something or is there a huge shortage of F4s?

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #3110 on: July 04, 2020, 07:37:36 AM »
There’s a shortage of almost every hardgood from most brands.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3111 on: July 04, 2020, 07:51:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This is hardbad news

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #3112 on: July 04, 2020, 08:00:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
This is hardbad news
Haha I actually lold
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

lazer69

• Rep: -96
« Reply #3113 on: July 04, 2020, 08:28:01 AM »
My bearings are falling out one of my wheels. Time for new h’wheels

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #3114 on: July 04, 2020, 11:50:28 AM »
Long time 1st time... my favorite jawns have been pusher wheels but they're outta the game.. so what's good on dial tone or loopwhole?
Whoa. Danger.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3115 on: July 04, 2020, 12:02:22 PM »
Possible substitute for Bones Rough Riders? They may fall apart in one day, but I'm going to find out!

In my short time of using this, they ride like soft wheels, but they feel stiff rather than squishy. That can be a pro/con depending how you look at it.

I gave them to a friend amongst other things to lessen the amount of gear I had, but my local sells them and people seem to enjoy them.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #3116 on: July 04, 2020, 01:18:48 PM »
Long time 1st time... my favorite jawns have been pusher wheels but they're outta the game.. so what's good on dial tone or loopwhole?

Haven't tried Dialtone but looking at them I'm guessing they're creative. Not basing that on anything concrete, they just have similar molds and packaging to other CU wheels on the market.

Loophole on the other hand... I REALLY like them. The graphics will just slide right off if you rub them and you can definitely tell they were just made by some enterprising skaters in someones garage in SF, but they skate great. For how hard they are (55D or 103a) they're quite a smooth ride, and they're fast and shit and slide like butter. They're a little weird at first - almost too hard and slick - but after you get past the first layer of urethane they have a great combination of grip and slip. Honestly they're probably the second best wheel I've skated behind F4s. Also if you can't find the side or shape you want then check out NFG mfg which is the company that pours them, they have their own line of wheels and have a square shape that I haven't seen on loopholes yet. Don't wait around on them though, they're small batches so they tend to sell out pretty fast. They just put some new 54mm squares up - they're $40 through the site but if you have amazon prime you can order them through amazon and save the shipping cost.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3117 on: July 04, 2020, 01:35:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haven't tried Dialtone but looking at them I'm guessing they're creative. Not basing that on anything concrete, they just have similar molds and packaging to other CU wheels on the market.

Loophole on the other hand... I REALLY like them. The graphics will just slide right off if you rub them and you can definitely tell they were just made by some enterprising skaters in someones garage in SF, but they skate great. For how hard they are (55D or 103a) they're quite a smooth ride, and they're fast and shit and slide like butter. They're a little weird at first - almost too hard and slick - but after you get past the first layer of urethane they have a great combination of grip and slip. Honestly they're probably the second best wheel I've skated behind F4s. Also if you can't find the side or shape you want then check out NFG mfg which is the company that pours them, they have their own line of wheels and have a square shape that I haven't seen on loopholes yet. Don't wait around on them though, they're small batches so they tend to sell out pretty fast. They just put some new 54mm squares up - they're $40 through the site but if you have amazon prime you can order them through amazon and save the shipping cost.

100% agree. I have the square shape and they are awesome. They are pretty similar, shape wise, to F4 tablets  but with the urethane characteristics you mentioned. The point you mentioned about the feel changing after the first layer is off is true. At first mine slid like ice all over the place but after two or three sessions they started to grip better and now its a nice balance.

The V shape was a little too square for me as I power slide a lot and the wheel edges would catch too much on nooks and crannies in the street. The slightly more rounded edge of the “square” shape doesn’t seem to have that problem.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #3118 on: July 04, 2020, 01:46:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Good write up.

Buying skate from amazon?!?? Jeeeeesus fuck. I’d rather barter with some ‘burner, at the fuckin burn. Wtf.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #3119 on: July 04, 2020, 02:04:18 PM »
Thanks gents. Thoro and insightful! NFG? Lookin er up thanks again.
Whoa. Danger.