Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797600 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4770 on: March 16, 2022, 07:46:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i have been redirected here from another thread.
what are the widest contact patch wheels i can get with a small diameter? i'm talking something in the 20-30mm contact patch range under 54mm diameter.
[close]
I like the 52mm OG Classics - 21.5mm which is half a mil smaller than a 54mm CF. The streets around me are surprisingly chunky so I went through a whole thing with this.
[close]

Shape   Size   Width   Contact Patch   Width to Contact Patch Ratio
Classics   52   32.00   15.50   48.44%
OG Classics   52   31.00   21.50   69.35%
Classic Full   52   ?   ?   ?
Radial   52   32.50   19.00   58.46%
Radial Slim   52   30.00   18.50   61.67%
Radial Full   ?   ?   ?   ?
Conical   52   31.50   19.50   61.90%
Conical Full   ?   32.50   21.00   64.62%
Tablet   52   29.00   20.00   68.97%
Lock Ins   52   32.00   20.00   62.50%

Can't find the specs for Classic Full and Radial Full (doesn't come in 52mm), but the ratios should scale according to wheel size.

Skinniest wheel with the widest contact patch is OG Classic, but I'd go with Tablets to save weight and keep the board feeling nimble.

I just pulled all the Spitfire info and put it all in the most recent post:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.msg3759408#msg3759408

Sorry it is late, so I didn't go through and fill out all the rest of the info there.

At least it is all in the one place and easier to see now.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4771 on: March 16, 2022, 08:19:46 AM »
I had a pair of loopholes listed at 56mm that all measured around 55mm.

A pair of 4

Solex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #4772 on: March 16, 2022, 12:00:18 PM »
i have been redirected here from another thread.
what are the widest contact patch wheels i can get with a small diameter? i'm talking something in the 20-30mm contact patch range under 54mm diameter.
I forgot the OG Classics just a haïr wider than the Conical Full in the other thread, they aren't in the official chart...

Sorry!

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4773 on: March 16, 2022, 02:19:59 PM »
Expand Quote
I had a pair of loopholes listed at 56mm that all measured around 55mm.
[close]

A pair of 4
dammit!

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #4774 on: March 20, 2022, 12:09:13 PM »
Damn all this loophole slander, I’ve been happy with my purchases, sucks you guys are bummed, to each their own I suppose
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4775 on: March 20, 2022, 12:16:51 PM »
Not bummed on Loopholes. Def great wheels but yes, mine also came in smaller than advertised and they are not as good as F4s for my purposes.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • the moon rules
« Reply #4776 on: March 20, 2022, 02:25:10 PM »
I got some G-Slides recently. They kind of sort of powerslide, but not far, and not on every type of ground. It’s harder to get them to slide on smoother ground for some reason. They are a lot more functional than a traditional cruiser wheel though. I was able to tailslide and noseslide with them without significant effort. Crooked grinds and feebles both seemed to work out. Slappies were fine. Flip tricks were fine. I wish they had a classic styled shape compared to the sharp edges, but maybe that kind of shape wouldn’t hold up in that soft of a durometer. Overall I’d say they’d be a good choice for someone looking to have some functionality on their cruiser board. Just don’t expect them to powerslide like a hard wheel does
fuck you bama

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4777 on: March 20, 2022, 03:14:12 PM »
I got some G-Slides recently. They kind of sort of powerslide, but not far, and not on every type of ground. It’s harder to get them to slide on smoother ground for some reason. They are a lot more functional than a traditional cruiser wheel though. I was able to tailslide and noseslide with them without significant effort. Crooked grinds and feebles both seemed to work out. Slappies were fine. Flip tricks were fine. I wish they had a classic styled shape compared to the sharp edges, but maybe that kind of shape wouldn’t hold up in that soft of a durometer. Overall I’d say they’d be a good choice for someone looking to have some functionality on their cruiser board. Just don’t expect them to powerslide like a hard wheel does

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll consider them. I need my cruiser wheel to powerslide or I will die in traffic lol.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #4778 on: March 20, 2022, 06:52:53 PM »
gslides are the truth

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4779 on: March 21, 2022, 09:12:56 AM »

Bones makes a classic shape in their soft All Terrain Formula.  Had a set but passed them to a young homie un-skated.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #4780 on: March 21, 2022, 03:07:04 PM »
Anyone try the new Snots yet? New formula or the big softies.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4781 on: March 22, 2022, 09:11:58 AM »
Bought some Ricta clouds 56mm 78A, and omg! My trick setup feels like im pushing on a steep gradient compared.
Bones reds is simply shit bearings, and F4 classics worn down to 50mm doesnt really help. Suggestions to make my trick setup smoother? Some serious bearings (SKF maybe), and 54mm F4s conicals?

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4782 on: March 22, 2022, 09:43:34 AM »
sk8boarding more

skatebruh

• Rep: 31
« Reply #4783 on: March 22, 2022, 10:04:47 AM »
Bought some Ricta clouds 56mm 78A, and omg! My trick setup feels like im pushing on a steep gradient compared.
Bones reds is simply shit bearings, and F4 classics worn down to 50mm doesnt really help. Suggestions to make my trick setup smoother? Some serious bearings (SKF maybe), and 54mm F4s conicals?

I got the 97a 54mm Conical Fulls and they're pretty sweet. A little sticky on noseslides but perfect for bombing hills.

I don't think bearings make a difference unless yours are messed up.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4784 on: March 22, 2022, 10:16:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone tried the oj elite 99 or 101? I’m looking to get either those or the shin sanbongi model in 58mm, Id be curious to hear what they are like in comparison to Spit 99s or loopholes as im looking to try something different and to go back to something above 56.
[close]

OJ elite 101 are decent if you like hard wheels. Not as hard or slidey as Bones STF. I posted a review in this thread if you want to read it: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3747972#msg3747972

TL;Dr they're worthy wheels, but I would only grab them if they're on sale or STF/F4 aren't available.
[close]

Cheers for the reply

I back 101a OJ Elites, but know they are grippier than F4/STF but they do slide just fine, it just takes a bit more speed to get them chirping.

I'd skate them over everything in a glassy park for sure.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #4785 on: March 22, 2022, 11:19:17 AM »
I just got some Portland Wheel Co 53mm 101As. Would it be accurate to assume they're made in the same spot as Jivaro?
ok thanks

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #4786 on: March 22, 2022, 11:35:40 AM »
I just got some Portland Wheel Co 53mm 101As. Would it be accurate to assume they're made in the same spot as Jivaro?

I'm pretty sure they are, they were when I skated some Jivaros ~5 years ago

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #4787 on: March 22, 2022, 12:15:18 PM »

The big softies haul ass. I like the em. Before I had OJ Mini Super Juice 55mm.

I haven’t got around to putting the hard Snots on anything yet. They’re more narrow than I’m used to but I couldn’t them up.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #4788 on: March 22, 2022, 12:38:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I haven’t got around to putting the hard Snots on anything yet. They’re more narrow than I’m used to but I couldn’t them up.

Awesome, honestly more interested in those than the boogerthane. Thanks!

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4789 on: March 22, 2022, 02:55:30 PM »
Tried a friend's board who had the new formula snot wheels. They slide way, way more than the old formula and have a totally different, higher-pitched bark.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #4790 on: March 22, 2022, 06:38:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Are the big softies skateable to do tricks on or are they too soft/bouncy?  The shape/size looks amazing.

I skated the set of 58 mm 99a Snots I bought for a little bit today.  They felt harder and had more of a dead pop feel than the F4s I had on my board.  I’ll have to give them another shot.  They did slide though.   

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4791 on: March 22, 2022, 07:11:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I got the 97a 54mm Conical Fulls and they're pretty sweet. A little sticky on noseslides but perfect for bombing hills.

I don't think bearings make a difference unless yours are messed up.

I like them for the crusty Midwest streets I ride... But they're honestly noticeably slower on smooth ground than 101-103 wheels I've ridden. They're also pretty sticky on power slides.

They're great if you know you're going to be riding crust.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #4792 on: March 22, 2022, 07:17:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Are the big softies skateable to do tricks on or are they too soft/bouncy?  The shape/size looks amazing.

I skated the set of 58 mm 99a Snots I bought for a little bit today.  They felt harder and had more of a dead pop feel than the F4s I had on my board.  I’ll have to give them another shot.  They did slide though.

They’re a bit bouncy. I’m sure someone can do flip tricks with the Big Softies though I probably won’t bother trying because they’re Big and Soft and I’m on Ace 77’s. I attempted some slappy action and pretty much just rolled up the curb. So that’s doable but sticky.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #4793 on: March 23, 2022, 08:05:10 PM »
i got the 48mm 101A lil boogers and these things are so fun. way better than the older formula. Slide is pretty decent. I’d say it take a bit more effort than sliding on F4s but i expected that. I think the pop on em feels pretty solid too, but again F4s are just a bit better. Hard to compete with spits.  For the price and if you wanted to support a smaller wheel brand, i’d say they are worth it :)

pops

• Rep: 252
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4794 on: March 23, 2022, 10:41:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I skate the OJ's atm and love em so much. It will be hard to go back harder wheels if I even ever will.

JK42

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4795 on: March 31, 2022, 01:59:17 AM »
Can anyone recommend a wheel make/model that really unlocked powerslides for them. My slides are unconfident, inconsistent and lackluster. I am generally skating plaza paving rather than smooth park crete. Running some wide loopholes atm.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #4796 on: March 31, 2022, 02:13:00 AM »
Can anyone recommend a wheel make/model that really unlocked powerslides for them. My slides are unconfident, inconsistent and lackluster. I am generally skating plaza paving rather than smooth park crete. Running some wide loopholes atm.

Wheels aren't going to teach you technique, but if you just want the maximum of slipperiness get stf 103a/83b wheels.
And if that's not enough, try them out on wet ground. Stay safe

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4797 on: March 31, 2022, 03:03:07 AM »
loopholes haven’t unlocked power slides for you? Maybe I already had good technique but those joints opened up new dimensions for me and I’m not even exaggerating. Perhaps F4s in 99 (radial slims if possible) would be a good start? They really helped my get my backside ones down!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 07:06:59 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #4798 on: March 31, 2022, 06:04:04 AM »

Spitfire F4 conical full 99a anywhere from 52-55mm have the best, most consistent slides of any wheels I’ve skated. After that, Bones stf in 103a slide almost as consistently and well.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4799 on: March 31, 2022, 06:55:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wheels aren't going to teach you technique, but if you just want the maximum of slipperiness get stf 103a/83b wheels.
And if that's not enough, try them out on wet ground. Stay safe
Definitely a technique issue, not equipment. Maybe check out some longboarder stuff on YouTube- those fools slide shit most skaters would consider impossible.