Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797543 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #6570 on: June 12, 2023, 01:48:20 PM »
Tablets are the worst shape. They're sold so that DLX can sell defect wheels from wider cuts. There is no real point in having zero sidewall and they catch cracks much easier.

dr.prestige

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6571 on: June 12, 2023, 04:39:36 PM »
i dig the tablets lol more for me i guess

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #6572 on: June 12, 2023, 04:52:53 PM »
i dig the tablets lol more for me i guess
Same I love the tablets. All that hanger space while still having a wide riding surface. + I learned fs crooks while riding them so I'll love them forever

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6573 on: June 12, 2023, 05:02:52 PM »
Tablets are the worst shape. They're sold so that DLX can sell defect wheels from wider cuts. There is no real point in having zero sidewall and they catch cracks much easier.

Maybe if you are a ledge only skater...maybe, but then a conical or OG would be fine (but wider).

I've tried with 3 sets of tablets now and hate them every time; gave a set to a homie and he was struggling with some slappy variants (he was coming from conicals), switched back to classics and he had no more issues.

I willy grind on tablets :\

Radial sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiims!!!! (they get hate of late but V2 STFs are damn near identical to radial slims (more so than they are close to tablets).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 05:12:07 PM by Xen »

BL0B

• Rep: 417
« Reply #6574 on: June 12, 2023, 10:54:37 PM »
i don't think they cut down wheels into tablets, outside of lil smokies. pretty sure the regular line of f4 tablets are poured that way.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #6575 on: June 12, 2023, 11:02:57 PM »
I learned bs hurricane stall on Tablets b/c of the lock-in factor, so there's a tiny soft spot for them in me. Otherwise, I feel that my feet start to hurt after riding them. They feel hella clunky.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #6576 on: June 12, 2023, 11:04:35 PM »
I had a set of tablets once. They had a dead kinda waterlogged feeling that made them feel slower than they actually were. My guess is the wide contact patch and lack of side cut dampens the ground vibration. I rode them for a day, then gave them away. The kid I gave them to was stoked on them though

BL0B

• Rep: 417
« Reply #6577 on: June 12, 2023, 11:17:24 PM »
when tablets 1st came out in the big pants small wheel days, they made the murderous spiked axle even worse, people would've like 3-5 threads showing and no wheel radius to protect them, not that the tiny classic like shaped wheels were much better, tablets just looked brutal back then.

grandpa's of to bed, nighty, nighty!

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #6578 on: June 14, 2023, 01:16:57 PM »
So my oldest wanted my OJ Hot Juices. I love those fuckers, so I went on Amazon and got some Chinese knock offs with some alphabet soup name (RaceBon). Now, they definitely aren’t the specs they’re listed as (sold as 60mm 78a, but they’re 58mm and feel more like filmers, so ~84a) but for $17 you get about 85% of the OJ feel

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #6579 on: June 14, 2023, 01:23:19 PM »
spitfire should prioritize classic fulls, og classics and radial slims.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6580 on: June 14, 2023, 01:48:51 PM »

Lots of us agree with this....and shake our fists at the Radial Full/Lock in Full skies =D

But...sales dictate what they put to market (for the most part...); I'd love to see data on why Lock-In FULLs are an actual thing people want vs. the demand for Classic Fulls. Hell, I'd like to see why Radial Full...fuck it, ALL FULLs vs their normal counterpart seem to take priority...tho I'd wager th e8 of use that want Radial slims is a small demographic ;)

Is it cheaper/more cost productive somehow that I'm not seeing when using MORE 'thane to make a 'bigger' wheel should cost more due to increased materials? And hell, with fulls, actually/possibly require a new mold (?)?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #6581 on: June 14, 2023, 02:02:30 PM »
keep in mind that team/staff input probably also matters, and dlx is based in the bay area where a lot of their riders in skate rough street spots and bomb hills so that probably has some influence

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6582 on: June 14, 2023, 02:25:13 PM »
Honestly I'm sure if Spitfire only had Classics, Radials or Radial Slims just pick one, and Conical Fulls they'd do just fine. Toss in a 4th shape of choice.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #6583 on: June 14, 2023, 03:10:33 PM »
keep in mind that team/staff input probably also matters, and dlx is based in the bay area where a lot of their riders in skate rough street spots and bomb hills so that probably has some influence

I live next to a bay and bought lock in fulls for this exact reason. Brackish water eats the roads and sidewalk faster, lots of grit and salt. The wide riding surface makes for a smoother ride and the f4 thane gives me slide on nicer surfaces

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6584 on: June 14, 2023, 04:45:01 PM »
He meant the SF Bay Area, which is home to DLX as well as the GX1000 crew and a billion other skaters that bomb hills and like to skate shittier concrete and pavement.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #6585 on: June 14, 2023, 05:40:45 PM »
He meant the SF Bay Area, which is home to DLX as well as the GX1000 crew and a billion other skaters that bomb hills and like to skate shittier concrete and pavement.

Yeah, I know. My point is if they get input from dudes working and living locally—and those dudes skate similar styles in similar living conditions—then seems like those wheels would appeal to me. Which they do.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6586 on: June 14, 2023, 06:44:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lots of us agree with this....and shake our fists at the Radial Full/Lock in Full skies =D

But...sales dictate what they put to market (for the most part...); I'd love to see data on why Lock-In FULLs are an actual thing people want vs. the demand for Classic Fulls. Hell, I'd like to see why Radial Full...fuck it, ALL FULLs vs their normal counterpart seem to take priority...tho I'd wager th e8 of use that want Radial slims is a small demographic ;)

Is it cheaper/more cost productive somehow that I'm not seeing when using MORE 'thane to make a 'bigger' wheel should cost more due to increased materials? And hell, with fulls, actually/possibly require a new mold (?)?

Radial Slims are the only wheel I'd gladly ride in colored variants - the 3 orange + 1 grey or blue + green swirl were sick.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6587 on: June 14, 2023, 07:32:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Radial Slims are the only wheel I'd gladly ride in colored variants - the 3 orange + 1 grey or blue + green swirl were sick.

Radial Slims had the BEST colorways, all the time. Still pissed I never snagged the green/blk or the black/teal ones.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 07:42:48 PM by Xen »

JimmyFive

• Rep: 58
« Reply #6588 on: June 23, 2023, 12:32:22 AM »
Looks like Skate One has dropped the X99's in the same sizes as X97. These things are gonna go. X99 vs F499? Still wishing for a 57-58mm...

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #6589 on: June 23, 2023, 11:17:01 AM »
Looks like Skate One has dropped the X99's in the same sizes as X97. These things are gonna go. X99 vs F499? Still wishing for a 57-58mm...

I’m interested to see how they stack up against F4 99s. I like Bones shapes and speed, but hate the plastic feel of their harder wheels. F4s just feel right

europa1991

• Rep: 59
« Reply #6590 on: June 24, 2023, 09:36:11 AM »
What’s the verdict on the new Loophole formula? Worth trying out? My local has a set of the 99a side cuts I was thinking about picking up.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6591 on: June 24, 2023, 08:48:37 PM »

I can't recall who asked or when, but I saw this and thought of this thread:

WHAT'S THE GO WITH STONEGROUND?

Stoneground finish is applied to the wheel after it has been poured to remove any lines or residue and give the wheel a worn-in feel so you can take them straight out of the packet and rip. Wheels are poured slightly bigger than their finished profile then ground back to achieve a perfect riding surface. For example, a 58mm wheel is poured at 58.5mm then ground down to 58mm. In our opinion it is the best running surface you can have. 

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #6592 on: June 25, 2023, 03:32:41 AM »
What’s the verdict on the new Loophole formula? Worth trying out? My local has a set of the 99a side cuts I was thinking about picking up.

I’ve had mine for two weeks or so and there’s still tread on em if that’s any indication :/

JimmyFive

• Rep: 58
« Reply #6593 on: June 25, 2023, 03:51:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m interested to see how they stack up against F4 99s. I like Bones shapes and speed, but hate the plastic feel of their harder wheels. F4s just feel right

I feel like these are the SkateOne answer to f4. My X97's feel much more "alive" - similar to F4. They just feel better than any of the other Bones/Powell wheels I've tried in the past.

Keen to hear a review of the X99's!

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #6594 on: June 25, 2023, 06:10:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I feel like these are the SkateOne answer to f4. My X97's feel much more "alive" - similar to F4. They just feel better than any of the other Bones/Powell wheels I've tried in the past.

Keen to hear a review of the X99's!

I like that analogy, they do feel more "alive". Other Bones wheels I've tried just felt like dull, slow plastic. I mean, 84b SPF actually felt good on smooth skatepark, but unskatetable in the asphalt parking lot, you push and just grind to a stop. It was actually funny how bad they were on asphalt.

X97 feels a bit rubbery, but it is lively and really does smooth crust out remarkably well and slides easy.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #6595 on: June 26, 2023, 07:58:22 AM »

Ghetto Child Muska wheels circa ~2000 unearthed from my parent's house.

Almost tempted to toss a set of bearings in and see how terrible 20+ year old wheels are hah
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 08:09:41 AM by hiljentaa »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #6596 on: June 26, 2023, 08:08:54 AM »

Old ass set of wheels unearthed from my parent's house. Ghetto Child Muska???

Almost tempted to toss a set of bearings in and see how terrible 20+ year old wheels are hah
100% those are GC Muska. I remember his pro wheel being 55mm
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #6597 on: June 26, 2023, 11:07:53 AM »
I like that analogy, they do feel more "alive". Other Bones wheels I've tried just felt like dull, slow plastic. I mean, 84b SPF actually felt good on smooth skatepark,

Dull, slow, and plasticky are definitely good ways to describes the bones I’ve skated. 100s are probably the best I’ve used and I’d describe them as “tolerable”

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #6598 on: June 27, 2023, 10:49:44 PM »
Bought the new Loopholes today in a classic round shape 54mm. Giving my rolled ankle a few more days to heal, though. Did anyone ever confirm where these are being made now? They don't look like creative urethane. Much more of a bright white dye color, and definitely not natural urethane like NFG.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6599 on: June 27, 2023, 10:53:12 PM »
Bought the new Loopholes today in a classic round shape 54mm. Giving my rolled ankle a few more days to heal, though. Did anyone ever confirm where these are being made now? They don't look like creative urethane. Much more of a bright white dye color, and definitely not natural urethane like NFG.
i believe they are poured at the acid chemical mfg.