Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797543 times)

hiljentaa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 317
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7170 on: November 27, 2023, 04:42:29 PM »
Just setup some 59mm Radial Fulls. Not as ridiculous looking as I expected. Really excited to ride em a bit and see how they go.

Won't be on main setup, mostly for spot exploration & commuting to work.

Hyped!!! This is exactly the ride I was hoping for. Push thru as much gravel as ya need.

Very tempted to get the 60mm T-Funks, but much prefer white wheels.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7171 on: November 27, 2023, 05:45:29 PM »
Just setup some 59mm Radial Fulls. Not as ridiculous looking as I expected. Really excited to ride em a bit and see how they go.

Hell yeah.

Big wheels are the best. I love how crooks feel above 54mm. It seems like I never miss the lock in. I can smack really rounded over shit as hard as I wanna.

Lil wheels I like for jumping down shit with short runways.
I feel like I hit max velocity quicker with lil wheels.

I really hope the Funk wheel's fast.
I'm really addicted to dragons. It's because of how long your speed is held post push.

It makes it really easy to play guitar and skate. I try to do that every day that's warm enough.

No trick in the world can match writing a good song while carving.

Carving is my favorite shit on earth rn.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #7172 on: November 27, 2023, 06:51:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hell yeah.

Big wheels are the best. I love how crooks feel above 54mm. It seems like I never miss the lock in. I can smack really rounded over shit as hard as I wanna.

Lil wheels I like for jumping down shit with short runways.
I feel like I hit max velocity quicker with lil wheels.

I really hope the Funk wheel's fast.
I'm really addicted to dragons. It's because of how long your speed is held post push.

It makes it really easy to play guitar and skate. I try to do that every day that's warm enough.

No trick in the world can match writing a good song while carving.

Carving is my favorite shit on earth rn.
Catching whiffs of Gesmer emanating from you at the moment, Fleasus.
Take it easy on us, bud.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

ambiguousclarity

• Rep: 11
« Reply #7173 on: November 27, 2023, 11:16:00 PM »
Expand Quote
I have two setups for commuting to work and skating at lunch in the park near my office. One has 93 dragons and the other 95 xformula. I use 99 f4s on my usual setup. I find both dragons and xformula slide more unexpectedly than the f4s, i.e., I feel like I have more control when on the f4s.

I've been riding the 95 xformula setup at parks the past two weeks to change things up for a bit of fun and have been losing (sliding) the back wheels unexpectedly at times. Just my experience. I'm glad there's soft options for commuting that function like hard wheels.
[close]

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as X-Formula 95?

My mistake. They're 97 xformula. For some reason I got it in my head they were 95. Perhaps reading the 56mm upside down had something to do with it.

hiljentaa

« Reply #7174 on: November 28, 2023, 12:10:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hyped!!! This is exactly the ride I was hoping for. Push thru as much gravel as ya need.

Was too stoked on these from last night and had to get out for another push this morning. Did 11.1 miles with a couple hundred feet of gravity assist along the way. Maintained bike path.

These wheels are so goddamn fun. I can push as hard as I want and never really worried about gravel, just plow thru that shit. Yeah, you'll slow down like any hard wheel, but the board sounds and feels normal.

I'm sure a soft wheel would hold speed better, but this feels way better than a bouncy cruiser wheel.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 01:53:33 PM by hiljentaa »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7175 on: November 28, 2023, 03:25:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Was too stoked on these from last night and had to get out for another push this morning. Did 11.1 miles with a couple hundred feet of gravity assist along the way. Maintained bike path.

These wheels are so goddamn fun. I can push as hard as I want and never really worried about gravel, just plow thru that shit. Yeah, you'll slow down like any hard wheel, but the board sounds and feels normal.

I'm sure a soft wheel would hold speed better, but this feels way better than a bouncy cruiser wheel.

Just to confirm you are on the 59mm 99 duro wheels there?

A lot of people have been getting the 58mm 97 duro Radial Full and loving the feel of them on more slippery or rough surfaces, so I could see how they would work.

Those T Funk red ones are also 60mm 97 duro too, which I know you had mentioned.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

hiljentaa

« Reply #7176 on: November 28, 2023, 04:00:30 PM »

A lot of people have been getting the 58mm 97 duro Radial Full and loving the feel of them on more slippery or rough surfaces, so I could see how they would work.

Those T Funk red ones are also 60mm 97 duro too, which I know you had mentioned.

Yessir, the normal 99a 59s. Wanted to see if these work first before trying the 97a.

Hopefully they make some more 97a 60s but white next time. Would smang.

Or maybe they'll hear Fleas cry for some 60+... Could you imagine some 63s???

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7177 on: November 28, 2023, 04:40:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yessir, the normal 99a 59s. Wanted to see if these work first before trying the 97a.

I have some Soft Ds in 92 duro 63mm size, still almost new, silent but deadly, we used to call them...

They don't even show up online in any searches so they must be old.

The new Formula Four 97 duro wheels are miles ahead of these old formulas though, which is why they stopped making them, but they are still fun to do laps on if the 97s are not right for the job.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #7178 on: November 28, 2023, 06:25:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

62mm and 66.6mm Classic F4 99a coming Spring 2024 drop 1.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #7179 on: November 29, 2023, 09:08:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

62mm and 66.6mm Classic F4 99a coming Spring 2024 drop 1.
How wide are these gonna be? Classics are stupid wide even in smaller sizes

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7180 on: November 29, 2023, 09:37:30 AM »

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #7181 on: November 29, 2023, 10:18:25 AM »
I will buy as many sets of these as I can. It is fruitless to try and stop me.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #7182 on: November 29, 2023, 10:19:21 AM »
Holy fuck those are huge.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7183 on: November 29, 2023, 10:42:09 AM »
At the other end of the spectrum...

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #7184 on: November 29, 2023, 03:26:41 PM »

Here at last is the @Uncle Flea pro model wheel that the prophets have long told our people of.
Flea, this must be a very proud moment for you.
Matt Reason fans rejoice!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7185 on: November 29, 2023, 03:35:14 PM »
I want to skate two of the 43s and two of the 66s. Should I put the 43s on the back truck and 66s on the front for a quicker snap? Maybe the 66s toeside and 43s on the heels to help with my kickflips?
On the other hand, I might wait for the 72s

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • sup dog
« Reply #7186 on: November 29, 2023, 03:46:43 PM »
I want to skate two of the 43s and two of the 66s. Should I put the 43s on the back truck and 66s on the front for a quicker snap? Maybe the 66s toeside and 43s on the heels to help with my kickflips?
Small wheels on back for quick snap. Large wheels in back if you want to Ollie over traffic lights.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #7187 on: November 29, 2023, 04:44:59 PM »
wow I'm so hyped for these. I'll probably hate the 43s but I'll skate em anyways fuck it.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #7188 on: November 29, 2023, 04:59:38 PM »
wow I'm so hyped for these. I'll probably hate the 43s but I'll skate em anyways fuck it.

I just remembered I just bought two sets of lil smokies earlier today. what terrible timing

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #7189 on: November 29, 2023, 11:00:38 PM »

I wish I was man enough to ride 60mm wheels. I always get the urge to size up but have to remind myself that it'll only hurt me in terms of consistency.

Also random question, I have a set of lightly used 54mm OG Classics that I've been holding onto and when I went to set them up, I can't get the bearings to fit at all (way too tight). Is this a common issue and if so, any ideas for how to fix? Would getting WD40 help?

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #7190 on: November 29, 2023, 11:31:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Small wheels on back for quick snap. Large wheels in back if you want to Ollie over traffic lights.

this could get fuckin wild

multipurpose like a leatherman tool

run a consistent twin tip on thunders? or min-max a fa/hockey shape with ventures, one hi and and one lo?

Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #7191 on: November 30, 2023, 01:04:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I wish I was man enough to ride 60mm wheels. I always get the urge to size up but have to remind myself that it'll only hurt me in terms of consistency.

Also random question, I have a set of lightly used 54mm OG Classics that I've been holding onto and when I went to set them up, I can't get the bearings to fit at all (way too tight). Is this a common issue and if so, any ideas for how to fix? Would getting WD40 help?

I have a set of OG Classics that are hella tight as well. Plus many hard-as-f*ck park wheels (e.g. Bones SPF 84b) can be a pain in the ass with regards to inserting bearings.

Solution: drop a tiny tiny bit of bearing oil, sewing machine oil or even olive oil if you don't have anyhing else (no WD40, it attracts dirt like a mf) on your finger and just ever-so-slightly lube the outside rims of the bearings (not the sides). They'll slip in better but not slip out (unless you go crazy with the oil). Worked for me and the bearings stay on.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 05:08:22 AM by rikki »

JimmyFive

• Rep: 58
« Reply #7192 on: November 30, 2023, 05:28:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ah I have a hack for this! After striking trouble getting bearings seated in hard - as - fuck 84B Bones SPFs.
Use the smallest dab of silicone grease and very lightly grease up the inside of the core of the wheel. Less is more because you want your bearings seated - you don't want your bearings slipping!
Silicone grease is the best lube for rubber/urethane.

Btw those new F4 sizes are ridiculous. But I'll might cop the 66mm just to see.. I'd love to see some classic fulls in F4 but in sizes that aren't so crazy! (56/58mm) and 101's!

DERBY

• Rep: 270
« Reply #7193 on: November 30, 2023, 06:11:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the 60mm classics arent too bad. they dont feel chunky or heavy. they do feel skinny and tall off jump but after a day of powerslides they pan out well. they were a lot easier to skate than 54mm+ conical fulls

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7194 on: November 30, 2023, 10:39:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ah I have a hack for this! After striking trouble getting bearings seated in hard - as - fuck 84B Bones SPFs.
Use the smallest dab of silicone grease and very lightly grease up the inside of the core of the wheel. Less is more because you want your bearings seated - you don't want your bearings slipping!
Silicone grease is the best lube for rubber/urethane.

Btw those new F4 sizes are ridiculous. But I'll might cop the 66mm just to see.. I'd love to see some classic fulls in F4 but in sizes that aren't so crazy! (56/58mm) and 101's!

I just did this trying to get some Bronson raw into some spit 99 A’s they just would not go in (I don't have a real press, just a tool with a bearing push). Maybe it’s temperature who knows so I put a little dab of oil on my finger and ran it on the inside of the wheels in the bearing seat, and they slid in just fine; it was just one dab for all four wheels I did not go back and re-apply oil to my finger each time.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 11:00:37 AM by Xen »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7195 on: November 30, 2023, 11:04:28 AM »

Ricta feeling left out with the current trend...52mm 92a ATV formula - I don't follow the clouds released but had no idea they made 92a or clouds at 52mm - good watch just to watch Asta...dude is just so good.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7196 on: November 30, 2023, 11:18:18 AM »

Ricta feeling left out with the current trend...52mm 92a ATV formula - I don't follow the clouds released but had no idea they made 92a or clouds at 52mm - good watch just to watch Asta...dude is just so good.

The 92a clouds have been out for awhile, I had a set ~4 years ago. They're not bad wheels, definitely has more of a cruiser feel but can slide if you really push into it. Imo the dragons do everything these do except 10x better.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #7197 on: November 30, 2023, 12:16:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The 92a clouds have been out for awhile, I had a set ~4 years ago. They're not bad wheels, definitely has more of a cruiser feel but can slide if you really push into it. Imo the dragons do everything these do except 10x better.

Yeah the 92a Clouds are far more of a cruiser wheel that you can do some tricks on.  They do slide a bit but you really gotta push em. Dragons are definitely better in every way if you're focused on a crusty spot trick wheel.  The Clouds are a great wheel though no doubt.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7198 on: November 30, 2023, 01:17:24 PM »
I know these wheels. He really made it look like they slide, but I'll bet on that ledge being to waxed up that some 78a cruisers would slide as well. I've tried them and they 100% feel like soft wheels that don't slide

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7199 on: November 30, 2023, 11:02:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just remembered I just bought two sets of lil smokies earlier today. what terrible timing

These Beatdowns might be a while before they come out, but at least Lil Smokies are always there and usually a way better price than the pro / regular Formula Four wheels too.

I wonder how many they will make and if they will all sell out quickly or stock left by the cart load for the more odd sizes, or even if a lot of people will buy them just to have a fun looking wheel and not skate them.

Either way, it will be interesting to see them, especially the biggest and smallest of them.