Author Topic: NEW Puleo Interview!  (Read 64878 times)

buttpirate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
Re: NEW Puleo Interview!
« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2011, 11:56:04 PM »
Quote from: bobby puleo
These cookie cutter archetypes that look, dress and all skate the same. And they all have these J. Crew catalog names these days, like Austin Cookie-Cutter and Gilbert Skatethesame. You also have this new trend of fully established California types that are moving to and coming to NY and filming on shit here that has just been through the goddamn ringer as far as one uppers and spot rapers and they think that that style of doing things makes them legitimate. That shit is corny. Go find your own shit in your own city.

even though he mentioned the names austin and gilbert, I read the interview as him calling out alex olson and the nike team.  Kalis mentions something similar in his quartersnacks interview about grant taylor coming to new york and being a douche. feels like both of them are implying the same thing about how skateboarding has changed post-internet, and how it's less about a lifestyle and fun than it is about career moves and getting famous

StarkyLove

• Rep: -119
« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2011, 12:42:48 AM »
Expand Quote
These cookie cutter archetypes that look, dress and all skate the same. And they all have these J. Crew catalog names these days, like Austin Cookie-Cutter and Gilbert Skatethesame. You also have this new trend of fully established California types that are moving to and coming to NY and filming on shit here that has just been through the goddamn ringer as far as one uppers and spot rapers and they think that that style of doing things makes them legitimate. That shit is corny. Go find your own shit in your own city.
[close]

even though he mentioned the names austin and gilbert, I read the interview as him calling out alex olson and the nike team.  Kalis mentions something similar in his quartersnacks interview about grant taylor coming to new york and being a douche. feels like both of them are implying the same thing about how skateboarding has changed post-internet, and how it's less about a lifestyle and fun than it is about career moves and getting famous

kalis angle wasn't about a city though. grant had just got on alien and was a dick too him.

puleo is crying because people from another region are skating "his" city like he owns any of that shit. dude is bitch.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2011, 02:50:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

even though he mentioned the names austin and gilbert, I read the interview as him calling out alex olson and the nike team.  Kalis mentions something similar in his quartersnacks interview about grant taylor coming to new york and being a douche. feels like both of them are implying the same thing about how skateboarding has changed post-internet, and how it's less about a lifestyle and fun than it is about career moves and getting famous

[close]

kalis angle wasn't about a city though. grant had just got on alien and was a dick to him.

puleo is crying because people from another region are skating "his" city like he owns any of that shit. dude is bitch.

that was after mind field and its the part that made the least sense to me because grant was on workshop for like 6 years......so how was that the first time he saw grant? especially when out of his way as soon as possible to see how jake johnson skated when he just got on? and then complained about him not being acknowledged by grant? you dont think grant has a reason to think kalis never gave a shit? dude met the whole team and the first time he meets kalis is by chance at the pyramid ledges and not on tour or anything? maybe he got the vibe that kalis wasnt feeling him at all.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:25:10 AM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2011, 06:08:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i wonder if he hates westgate too? all bobby puleo did with that interview was lose the fan base of the only guys who still like him (SLAP).
[close]

i'm still here, bro.
[close]

Internet is ruining my childhood idols.

vihreekerma

• Rep: 21
« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2011, 08:16:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i wonder if he hates westgate too? all bobby puleo did with that interview was lose the fan base of the only guys who still like him (SLAP).
[close]

i'm still here, bro.
[close]

Dick Fingers

• Rep: -26
« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2011, 09:03:31 AM »
i think people are for the most part missing the point of what puelo was trying to convey. in my opinion i do not think puelo was saying that people should not come to nyc and "have to ask permission" to skate anything. i don't think puelo would give 2 shits if you are your two friends were skating around brooklyn and stumbled upon something he skated in static and skated it. what i think he does care about is these kids coming to nyc and searching for his spots and then filming on them and putting them in internet videos and clips. it becomes quite obvious when people are imitating exactly what you do. this can be demonstrated by watching a video part of kid x. in his first part he is jumping down stairs and handrails coupled with ledge lines. wearing jeans and whatever. then he comes to nyc starts wearing high-water pants, doing wallies and attempting to be creative, however he is not because all he is doing is mimicking what puelo has already done. what puelo does which separates him from the best is that his style of skateboarding does not look contrived or faked because he was originator of this style. it is more than acceptable and even refreshing to read this interview because he should be upset. companies are paying people that bite his shit, they are essentially making money off his own personal niche in skateboarding. obviously the extent to which he takes it too is unprecedented as well as unnecessary. however i do, in part, agree with him.

Hatechild

« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2011, 12:09:12 PM »
dude definitely over thinks something that is supposed to be fun and simple

Dear Bobby Puleo,

The world is not out to get you. Calm the fuck down.

Best Regards,

God

strangefires

« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2011, 12:13:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dear Bobby Puleo,

Best Regards,

God

srsly

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2011, 12:24:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Dear Bobby Puleo,

Best Regards,

God

[close]

srsly

best laugh i've had all day. HAHAHAHAHA

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2011, 12:44:45 PM »
From Alex O's tumblr

what do you think of this puleo interview?

http://www.areyouavictim.com/inter&sitem=10&imgPre=909
ratsofthirst

I mean, I?m with him on some points he makes and not with others. It?s coming off like he has a bit of a chip on is whole body. I would take it what you like out of it and leave the rest. He was one of my favorites back in the day and I went to one of his spots  ?that a photographer to me too?. We went to reshoot it and he was with us and snap like he had been in the Vietnam War.

Murdercapital

• Rep: -22
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2011, 03:59:34 PM »
There are imitators in EVERYTHING....Mostly imitators, and FEW "originators" in as much as you can call them that. But you can argue that no thought is original and without its own influences.

This is skateboarding, you cant patent a style or approach, you cant sue for intellectual property rights, sometimes all you can do is be bitter if what you started becomes popular, cashed in on by others, and you as the originator are forgotten.

As has been said, cellar doors and niche little spots would be skated even if there was never a Puleo.  Skating has gotten huge, and plenty of skaters out there will always utilize their environments, and plenty more will travel to new cities to taste what they've got to offer.  Puleo exemplified his particular approach, and I guess was the first to come out with parts that adhered to it.  He brought something new to the game, and did it so well that it was copied.  "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"...making money sure is nice too, but maybe take pride in making an impact/contribution and at least being acknowledged for it.

Skateboarding always wants to evolve, and when it doesn't it gets boring to most.  Any new trend within it may be started by one person, city, or team, yet will soon be adapted by the masses who find it appealing or "cool".  Being the first to do a particular trick doesn't always mean you'll monetize off of it, even if it becomes the new "hot trick" of the year.  And if a trend in skating doesn't ever pick up...well its probably whack (sorry N. Sherwood)

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1971
« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2011, 04:49:17 PM »
It's funny how you guys are complaining about him "hating" on people, yet the majority of you guys hate on just about anybody out there for the most nit-picky fucking reasons.

In other words, you're hating on him for acting like a Slap member.

strangefires

« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2011, 04:58:02 PM »
right, but the typical slap member is a fucking person obv

teddy

• Rep: 6
    • Wizard Skull avatar image
« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Maybe you need to live near NYC to see what puleo is talking about..

There can be a spot that everyone goes by but people will hardly ever try to get footage on, but if Bobby comes out with footage at that spot, it pretty much makes it an official skate spot to everyone else.

Perfect example, the blue ledge/hubba thing in colombus park, after his moving in traffic part came out, all of a sudden everyone was filming there. Just watch static II or MIT for more examples.

Plus guys like Pappalardo are ripping off bobby's approach to skating.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #164 on: January 26, 2011, 05:14:58 PM »
he should make an effort to do better tricks. If he did something good on it, then they wouldn't be able to one up him, and he wouldn't be mad. he's just mad that people that are better than him are starting to skate like him. that puts his gimmick in jeopardy.

strangefires

« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2011, 05:19:03 PM »

There can be a spot that everyone goes by but people will hardly ever try to get footage on, but if Bobby comes out with footage at that spot, it pretty much makes it an official skate spot to everyone else.

Perfect example, the blue ledge/hubba thing in colombus park, after his moving in traffic part came out, all of a sudden everyone was filming there. Just watch static II or MIT for more examples.

so adjust, bitch.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -460
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #166 on: January 26, 2011, 05:24:11 PM »
he should make an effort to do better tricks. If he did something good on it, then they wouldn't be able to one up him, and he wouldn't be mad. he's just mad that people that are better than him are starting to skate like him. that puts his gimmick in jeopardy.
say what you want, dude has a point.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

• Rep: -2
« Reply #167 on: January 26, 2011, 05:46:40 PM »

This.

You are 100% correct on Pappalardo. He's been biting Puleo's aesthetic for awhile now and it's just way too obvious.

teddy

• Rep: 6
    • Wizard Skull avatar image
« Reply #168 on: January 26, 2011, 05:56:15 PM »

I don't think that's why he is mad.

The only value to some pro's parts is seeing what trick they did better than someone else, those types of skaters usually stick to stairs and handrails. Now those guys are starting to skate weird street obstacles, but instead of doing it in a creative way, they are doing it the only way they know how, which is by trying to do a better trick.

Skateboarding around where you live and trying to skate what is around you even if it's not your typical ledge or rail, is a different approach to skating and its not about proving you are better than someone else. So i think he is more mad, because there is this last part of street skating which is a more pure artistic form of skating, being destroyed by a more soulless competitive/sport driven style.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:03:08 PM by teddy »

diefuck

« Reply #169 on: January 26, 2011, 05:59:02 PM »
Perfect example, the blue ledge/hubba thing in colombus park, after his infamous part came out, all of a sudden everyone was filming there.

strangefires

« Reply #170 on: January 26, 2011, 05:59:11 PM »

• Rep: -2
« Reply #171 on: January 26, 2011, 06:02:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
say what you want, dude has a point.

If you're saying COTG has a point then your wrong, Bobby doesn't need to make an effort to do 'better' tricks to prevent people from one upping him at spots that he discovered. I really don't understand why you guys aren't getting what he said in the interview. From what I gathered, the 'craft' of skateboarding according to Bobby is to go out and find your OWN spots, and to do it with originality and your OWN style. The 'craft' isn't about going out and trying to do the hardest trick at some spot that you haven't found on your own in order to one up someone or make your video part seem 'diverse'.

spare change

« Reply #172 on: January 26, 2011, 06:08:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The only value to some pro's parts is seeing what trick they did better than someone else, those types of skaters usually stick to stairs and handrails. Now those guys are starting to skate weird street obstacles, but instead of doing it in a creative way, they are doing it the only way they know how, which is by trying to do a better trick.

Skateboarding around where you live and trying to skate what is around you even if it's not your typical ledge or rail, is a different approach to skating and its not about proving you are better than someone else. So i think he is more mad, because there is this last part of street skating which is a more pure artistic form of skating, being destroyed by a more soulless competitive/sport driven style.
Teddy, I would hump your leg right now if that was socially acceptable.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #173 on: January 26, 2011, 06:19:05 PM »
I'll just say I'm a fan of Bobby's skating, he has a nice "street flow" if you will, and I feel like him and Ricky should definitely be paid a lot. But he's skated tons of other cities spots so he's pretty hypocritical if he films things in new york and then is surprised when other people skate it. No one owns the spots you skate in new york any more than they own the spots you skated when you were in SF in the mad circle days or in England filming for the Static videos.

I would think you would learn pretty quickly living in a city with 8.5 million people and a ton of skate teams always coming through, to just get used to it. I guess not.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

redhatchet

• Rep: 44
« Reply #174 on: January 26, 2011, 06:34:28 PM »

That probably just isn't Bobby. Anyone that lives in a certain area finds all the hidden gems in there city or town. Outsiders usually wouldnt go to such obscure or strange places if they are just there for say a weekend. Once Bobby comes out with a part which has the first tricks ever been done on this spot noone has seen, people are going to see it and say "hey that looks fun, lets skate it" and ask the locals where its at.

I think Puleo is being super bitter and judgmental about the whole thing when all it really boils down to, is that peopel who travel to NYC look for spots in videos and such that they think would be "fun" to skate. I doubt half of them have the mindset of "im going to go here and show that motherfucker up". He really seems paranoid. I watch videos from local areas around my town I'm not familiar with so I know what spots they have to offer. So when i go there we dont waste the day driving around doing nothing. We know what looks fun and what we want to skate.
Maybe I'm just so cool I wanna die.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #175 on: January 26, 2011, 06:43:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is the problem i have with you clowns. why is getting better and doing good shit, always referred as in a negative light? you guys talk all this artistic shit, and then completely contradict yourselves by saying the shit you're doing is better than what a "soulless competitive" skater is doing. Like i said, if he wasn't such a gimmicky piece of trash he wouldn't be mad. the reason he's so angry is because these kids are making it hard for that nigga to eat, not because they're destroying "artistic" skateboarding. that nigga is obsolete. that's what happens when you build your career off of a gimmick, and not skill.

spare change

« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2011, 06:45:48 PM »
How obsolete can you be when you have a topic on slap 6 pages long?

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2011, 06:48:25 PM »
when you're waiting tables, complaining about kids killing your spots.

strangefires

« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »

lolol

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2011, 06:51:13 PM »
How obsolete can you be when you have a topic on slap 6 pages long?

2nd best laugh i've had all day. HAHAHAHAHA