Author Topic: Hypebeast calls us the "democratic voice"  (Read 2432 times)

Matze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Hypebeast calls us the "democratic voice"
« on: February 19, 2016, 01:47:35 AM »
''...the SLAP forum remains one of the most active around and is considered to be ''skateboarding’s democratic voice throughout the online community'' ''. (by the way: what would be the right grammar on the '' '' ''?)

http://hypebeast.com/2016/2/huf-slap-magazine-2016-spring

nowell

• Rep: -153
Re: Hypebeast calls us the "democratic voice"
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 02:21:47 AM »
nobody gives a fuck

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 02:47:45 AM »
the correct use would be "xxx 'xxx' xxx."
at least to my knowledge.

where did they get this "quote" from?

yeah hypebeast always knows what's up. lol
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:50:35 AM by somethingmustbreaknow »

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1271
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 03:40:41 AM »
the correct use would be "xxx 'xxx' xxx."
at least to my knowledge.

where did they get this "quote" from?

yeah hypebeast always knows what's up. lol
this quote is what HUF used for their slap capsule

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 04:55:06 AM »
(by the way: what would be the right grammar on the '' '' ''?)

As you alluded to, it sure isn't how they used it.

Sure when you are quoting a quote that contains a quote you could drop it to a single from a dumb double quote, but what then happens when your quoted quote contains another quote? Well obviously faced with that level of recursion that's a job for a typographical (curly) quote ma dude.

Now back on topic, it appears the hypebeasts saw the vogue article and knew the writing was on the wall with their thrasher hoodies. What do you do when the bible isn't core enough anymore, like Pablo Escobar and Frank Lucas you go right to the supplier, the epicenter, the single true source of 100% uncut pure skateboarding realness, Slap Magazine. Slap Magazine is so real it isn't even a magazine which has the added benefit of being impossible to blow out as it doesn't even exist, lets see your stylist deal with that RiRi.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 07:42:55 AM »
I took an editing class and the teacher said you alternate between " and ' ad infinitum.

Thus:

Willie recounted, "My teacher said, 'Alternate your quotes and remember what Flaubert said, "There are two infinities that confuse me: the one in my soul devours me; the one around me will crush me”'. Now if only I could remember where to put the period in that last sentence."

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 07:43:47 AM »
 "start the original quote 'the section that the original quote is quoting' and let it finish"

it appears that when it comes to skateboarding we may be democratic but when it comes to web-blog grammar we are NatSoc.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3343
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 09:06:05 AM »
If there's one thing Hypebeast is known for 'round the world, it's their top-notch writing.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 385
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 10:29:13 AM »
I took an editing class and the teacher said you alternate between " and ' ad infinitum.

Thus:

Willie recounted, "My teacher said, 'Alternate your quotes and remember what Flaubert said, "There are two infinities that confuse me: the one in my soul devours me; the one around me will crush me�'. Now if only I could remember where to put the period in that last sentence."

Punctuation is always inside quotes, but it's possible to have punctuation directly after a quote when including a quote in a sentence.  For example: The most profound question on this topic was when Willie asked, "Where should I put the period in that last sentence?".

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 12:24:38 PM »
Expand Quote

Thus:

Willie recounted, "My teacher said, 'Alternate your quotes and remember what Flaubert said, "There are two infinities that confuse me: the one in my soul devours me; the one around me will crush me�'. Now if only I could remember where to put the period in that last sentence."
[close]

Punctuation is always inside quotes, but it's possible to have punctuation directly after a quote when including a quote in a sentence.  For example: The most profound question on this topic was when Willie asked, "Where should I put the period in that last sentence?".
edited for grammar. Also, if the question ends with a statement that is a quote, the placement of the question mark is optional, both are considred correct.
example:
Did that guy really think I said "urine idiot"?
or
Did that guy really think I said "urine idiot?"
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 01:05:39 PM »
quotation and other punctuation usage are matters of style not grammar. UK puts punctuation after quotation marks because that makes the most sense in terms of hierarchy of the marks but US does it before because people think it looks better in print. generally quotes within quotes have a single quotation mark around them.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 01:39:42 PM »
I love that a thread about Hypebeast could turn into a discussion around punctuation:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thus:

[close]

[close]
edited for grammar. Also, if the question ends with a statement that is a quote, the placement of the question mark is optional, both are considred correct.
example:
Did that guy really think I said "urine idiot"?
or
Did that guy really think I said "urine idiot?"

If I see the question mark before the quotation marks, I read it as the quotation of a question. If I see it after the quotation marks, I see the quote as being a statement, and the sentence containing the quote to be the question. Don't know where that fits into the rules, that's just how my brain interprets it

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 01:49:34 PM »
The grammar from their page is good
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

straight