Author Topic: What defines a bad trick selection to you?  (Read 7756 times)

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
Re: What defines a bad trick selection to you?
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2021, 04:36:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a limited bag is not neccesarily bad trick selection though - id rather watch a dude who does 4 tricks really well than a dude who could do any trick but chooses to do nollie double flips
[close]

A small bag of tricks done well is better than someone who's got a ton of tricks but does them all stinking.
[close]
1000x this

Although I hated this Mike V part I’ve grown to appreciate it as of lately.

ha ha ha fuck

i've heard people talk about this legendarily shit mike v part but never actually seen it

1,000x worse than expected

also

why are people using 'AA' to refer to andy anderson?

i spent half the thread wondering then the fuck andrew allen did a tasteless ten trick ledge combo...

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2021, 04:46:51 AM »
LOL I never saw that Mike V part. Hilarious  ;D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2021, 05:27:51 AM »
nothing I'm stoked on the stoke. my homie pushes regular mongo hangs at a 90 degree angle on his boardslide and boneless and early grabs onto slides and grinds. love his style as much as dude throwing ghetto bird on the hip

your boy sounds cool.

Brguy

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2021, 08:14:17 AM »
Wes Kremer does some cool lazer flips.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2021, 08:25:39 AM »
rear stanky leg on a 360 flip = bad trick selection

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -67
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2021, 10:06:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a limited bag is not neccesarily bad trick selection though - id rather watch a dude who does 4 tricks really well than a dude who could do any trick but chooses to do nollie double flips
[close]

A small bag of tricks done well is better than someone who's got a ton of tricks but does them all stinking.
[close]
1000x this

[close]

ha ha ha fuck

i've heard people talk about this legendarily shit mike v part but never actually seen it

also

i spent half the thread wondering then the fuck andrew allen did a tasteless ten trick ledge combo...

bad/good trick selection for me is defined by answering the question "would I rather watch mike v push?"
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2021, 10:34:52 AM »
anytime the legs look twisted in an unnatural way or the trick/combo puts ur body in a really strange position.

i dont want to say specific tricks because dudes like pj ladd make conceptually bad stuff look clean somehow and that throws the whole trick selection question out the window.

Nigel Houston

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2021, 11:34:41 AM »
In the early 1990s there was a time when 'tech' experimentation ran wild with no guidelines whatsoever. Anything was fair game, like combos on curbs on the level of 50-50 grind to lipslide to 5-0 to shove-it out.

What happened next, let's not forget, was a period of cleaning up both style and trick selection around 1992 and 1993.

The main drivers were skaters on all World companies and later also Girl/Chocolate, Alien, and early Foundation with Steve Olson and Ronnie C. They made a point of what constitutes a proper 5-0 grind on a ledge (don't drag the tail) or nosegrind (don't skid the nose, or it's a snow shovel). They also placed a focus on technical finesse with all the fakie 5-0 flips and techy manual tricks. And as a result, street skating looked much cleaner and trick selection overall improved.

Today we're back in 1991 and people don't know any better. They think it's 'creative' when skaters pop a front foot impossible out of a 50-50 grind at low speed. Or grab their board and throw in some 'freestyle' moves. Sooo mind-boggling (to the longboarders turned influencers/video bloggers that now comment on skate videos in the absence of expert media)!

And in a way, that's cool. The mid-1990s scene was a bit 'cool guy' and 'vibey' and 'cliquey' anyhow.

But personally, I'd much rather see folks continue down the 'clean' path than the 'gross' variations in their trick selection that were left behind in the process of evolving the art of street skating.

sKINGraft

• Rep: 28
  • space doo-doo pistols
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2021, 12:50:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
1000x this

[close]

ha ha ha fuck

also

[close]

bad/good trick selection for me is defined by answering the question "would I rather watch mike v push?"

haha this is fucking terrible

although this answers so many questions about "those guys"

fried

• Rep: 53
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2021, 01:08:42 PM »
I think anyone with good trick selection does tricks that come to them naturally.

Andrew Allen says in that new 4ply interview he doesn’t film certain tricks because he feels awkward doing them

Just because you can do a trick doesn’t mean you should film it.

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2021, 03:23:04 PM »
Joey Brezinski

Sifter

• Rep: 48
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2021, 03:55:46 PM »
Hmm it'd go something like Nollie fs lip on a ledge, pop shuvit sex change, pivot back to regular stance then heelflip manual to finish the line.
Also any of those weird instagram faked out tricks.  You know the looks like they were doing bs bigspin but faked into 3shuv

Circaskater420

• Rep: -76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2021, 04:22:56 PM »
Everyone commenting “Body Varials” really makes me want to recite the cliche (but true) platitude “it’s not not about what you do, it’s about how you do it”.  And then you’ll think “yeah there are no bad tricks, any trick can be performed well”.  And then you’ll see shit like dolphin flips or pop shuv sex changes and that thought just goes out the window. 

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2021, 05:26:04 PM »
Everyone commenting “Body Varials” really makes me want to recite the cliche (but true) platitude “it’s not not about what you do, it’s about how you do it”.  And then you’ll think “yeah there are no bad tricks, any trick can be performed well”.  And then you’ll see shit like dolphin flips or pop shuv sex changes and that thought just goes out the window.
Oh shit you just reminded me, Stephen Lawyer exists.

I've seen some "late feet" tricks that i thought looked really good, but for the most part, a stylish body varial is the exception, not the rule
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2021, 06:42:28 PM »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 688
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2021, 08:10:38 PM »
In the early 1990s there was a time when 'tech' experimentation ran wild with no guidelines whatsoever. Anything was fair game, like combos on curbs on the level of 50-50 grind to lipslide to 5-0 to shove-it out.

What happened next, let's not forget, was a period of cleaning up both style and trick selection around 1992 and 1993.

The main drivers were skaters on all World companies and later also Girl/Chocolate, Alien, and early Foundation with Steve Olson and Ronnie C. They made a point of what constitutes a proper 5-0 grind on a ledge (don't drag the tail) or nosegrind (don't skid the nose, or it's a snow shovel). They also placed a focus on technical finesse with all the fakie 5-0 flips and techy manual tricks. And as a result, street skating looked much cleaner and trick selection overall improved.

Today we're back in 1991 and people don't know any better. They think it's 'creative' when skaters pop a front foot impossible out of a 50-50 grind at low speed. Or grab their board and throw in some 'freestyle' moves. Sooo mind-boggling (to the longboarders turned influencers/video bloggers that now comment on skate videos in the absence of expert media)!

And in a way, that's cool. The mid-1990s scene was a bit 'cool guy' and 'vibey' and 'cliquey' anyhow.

But personally, I'd much rather see folks continue down the 'clean' path than the 'gross' variations in their trick selection that were left behind in the process of evolving the art of street skating.

WELL SAID.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
Re: What defines a bad trick selection tao you?
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2021, 08:41:13 PM »
ask yourself " would Jeffwon film this"? if the answer is no, it is a bad trick

Don't you mean "yes", not "no" because all of his tricks are usually bad?
Super Champion Fun Zone

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2021, 08:42:56 PM »
front 180 out.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -602
  • who knows
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2021, 09:45:32 PM »
Doing tricks switch if you can't do them regular or don't have a regular one in your part. Especially switch 360 flips and switch fs heels.

On the other hand, I love seeing a fat switch fs heelflip if you have a fat fs heelflip in your part elsewhere (China does this)

The stanky leg 360 flips are a hard pass from me. 

I dont like seeing feet move an outrageous amount on manuals to prep for the next flip.  Gross
where is home?

imjusthereforthechips

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2021, 10:04:57 PM »
Doing tricks switch if you can't do them regular or don't have a regular one in your part. Especially switch 360 flips and switch fs heels.

On the other hand, I love seeing a fat switch fs heelflip if you have a fat fs heelflip in your part elsewhere (China does this)

I dont like seeing feet move an outrageous amount on manuals to prep for the next flip.  Gross
people who do yo-flips immediately get the vert button. on video and in real life. the only person who gets a pass is dylan.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2021, 10:59:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
1000x this

Definition of a go fast/do nothing part, although i'm sure Mike will take hours telling how revolutionary this part was

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2021, 11:22:39 PM »

I'm sorry, but why is this such an issue for people? Seems silly to discredit a valid trick just because they can't/don't do the equivalent in their regular/fakie stance. Would you rather their trick selection be more predictable and NOT see them do this trick, one that may add variety since it's not like the rest? It's nice if someone can do a FS flip and a SS FS flip in a part, but if they can only do the switch version of it, why is it seen as bad to some people?
Super Champion Fun Zone

imjusthereforthechips

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2021, 11:26:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm sorry, but why is this such an issue for people? Seems silly to discredit a valid trick just because they can't/don't do the equivalent in their regular/fakie stance. Would you rather their trick selection be more predictable and NOT see them do this trick, one that may add variety since it's not like the rest? It's nice if someone can do a FS flip and a SS FS flip in a part, but if they can only do the switch version of it, why is it seen as bad to some people?

agreed. like p-rod doesnt do hardflips but has a mean switch and nollie one. ive also never seen wenning do a regular backsmith but did a lot of switch ones that were properly dipped.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2021, 02:01:40 AM »
Fs 360 no complies that are really 180 no comply to 180 pivot
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2021, 02:23:12 AM »
Expand Quote
nothing I'm stoked on the stoke. my homie pushes regular mongo hangs at a 90 degree angle on his boardslide and boneless and early grabs onto slides and grinds. love his style as much as dude throwing ghetto bird on the hip
[close]

your boy sounds cool.

hes sick. always takes people a few to get into his style  ut he usually wins people over with his giant balls as well.

this era sounds amazing

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2021, 04:47:55 AM »
a nollie bigspin, and a nollie bigspin heel can ruin a great skateboarder.

for me, personally.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2021, 05:00:48 AM »
Most of what is in here if you dare to watch through sober eyes

Circaskater420

• Rep: -76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2021, 05:05:19 AM »
front 180 out.

Looks great with a back 5-0 or a back smith

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2021, 05:09:25 AM »
Trying to make up for the lack of skill and technicality with dork tricks

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2021, 05:12:42 AM »
I think a bad trick selection sometimes  can be when people just do the easier tricks they can and rarely try to push passed that.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.