Author Topic: Official One In A Million 2010 Thread  (Read 279557 times)

Water Plantis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -13
Re: Official One In A Million 2010 Thread (ep. 11)
« Reply #1290 on: December 27, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »
according to whiteley this is how they are judging the contest, this is my own opinion of course but to me i think the winner going to be rueben

trick:forrest rueben
style: gonzo john rueben forrest
attitude: Mango and rueben
overall approach rueben john

jildo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • my blog? avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1291 on: December 27, 2010, 09:46:22 PM »
wow. double set ollie was insane.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1292 on: December 27, 2010, 09:55:29 PM »
according to whiteley this is how they are judging the contest, this is my own opinion of course but to me i think the winner going to be rueben

Tricks: Forrest, Reuben
Style:Matty, by a large margin.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

ccc333

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
  • ohyeah
« Reply #1293 on: December 27, 2010, 11:09:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Tricks: Forrest, Reuben
Style:Matty, by a large margin.

Carter

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1294 on: December 27, 2010, 11:39:13 PM »
i hope to see some true mango skating.  when i lived in arizona i seen him skate a couple times in person.  the kid is awesome and super funny, just seems kinda weirded out by the whole contest thing. 

Nate

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1295 on: December 28, 2010, 12:06:42 AM »
dude sent in a minute of footage and got a free trip to san francisco, he kind of already won.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #1296 on: December 28, 2010, 12:09:10 AM »
^ And he gets coverage and name recognition even if he doesn't win. Mango and Forrest are the two most talked about dudes in the contest.

you missed-
attitude: John- dealt with the whole hill bombing issue like a champ, still ripping with staples in his head. No bitching, no why me bullshit, no getting down on himself, just a quick trip to the doctor, getting hyped that his skull wasn't fractured, and back to skate huge shit the next day.
approach: Forrest- say what you want about his personality, the dude charges like a barbarian when he skates. If his attack on the double set doesn't win him points in the overall approach category, I don't really understand the category.

I think a lot of you are complete morons for thinking Mango's "soul skater" comment seriously. Next you'll be saying how annoying his obsession with Laverne and Shirley is.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

realitycontrol

• Rep: 237
  • "only when i breathe"
« Reply #1297 on: December 28, 2010, 12:10:23 AM »
Expand Quote
dude sent in a minute of footage and got a free trip to san francisco, he kind of already won.
[close]
"Judging by the state of the economy and world at large, looks like we get to be the fucked generation." - Mouth

Water Plantis

• Rep: -13
« Reply #1298 on: December 28, 2010, 01:47:37 AM »
^ And he gets coverage and name recognition even if he doesn't win. Mango and Forrest are the two most talked about dudes in the contest.
Expand Quote

[close]
you missed-
attitude: John- dealt with the whole hill bombing issue like a champ, still ripping with staples in his head. No bitching, no why me bullshit, no getting down on himself, just a quick trip to the doctor, getting hyped that his skull wasn't fractured, and back to skate huge shit the next day.
approach: Forrest- say what you want about his personality, the dude charges like a barbarian when he skates. If his attack on the double set doesn't win him points in the overall approach category, I don't really understand the category.

I think a lot of you are complete morons for thinking Mango's "soul skater" comment seriously. Next you'll be saying how annoying his obsession with Laverne and Shirley is.

disagree with the mango part, hes a reminder that skating is all about having fun thats why i started in the first place (if thats what you meant about that comment)... but i agree with the rest. john deffently has a good attitude. forrest is in it to win it and its a compettion, if thats what whiteley meant by overall approach, that could mean try to skate every kind of spot or how much he actually liked the person or some shit.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #1299 on: December 28, 2010, 01:55:57 AM »
reuben has the style of a young joe valdez.
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #1300 on: December 28, 2010, 02:13:01 AM »
of course forrest doesn't land the roll off after the bf flip... must be hard switch though

also wish there was footy of that mango bs.. the pop out mustve been sick on that rail...

3:23

whiteley, i'm pretty sure no one bs flipped over the rail into the bank at that school in the emerica video, the only tricks i can think of at that school off the top of my head is a 180 fakie 5-0 on the rail forrest switch 50'd, and a switch fs flip over the handrail but it was a different one because he did it to flat.

Nate

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1301 on: December 28, 2010, 03:02:03 AM »
reuben has the style of a young joe valdez.

nice compliment  ::)

hekkahyphy

« Reply #1302 on: December 28, 2010, 04:18:20 AM »
I was watchin origin last night and daryl angel backside flipped over it

Dandy

• Rep: -8

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #1304 on: December 28, 2010, 09:25:14 AM »

thank you, that's what it was. mixed up my videos and slept on daryl- sorry!

mango does get some real tricks in and i personally liked having him around no matter if he was skating to win the contest or not-- which he obviously wasn't-- because he brought smiles and laughs to everybody aside from forrest, and represented the idea that you "win" in the grand scheme of things by having fun and skating how you want. yes, i understand it is a contest and he didn't treat it like a contest, but part of me likes that. anyhow, here's a spoiler: mango does not win OIAM 2010!
and as for whether or not he's gay-- yes, he is gay. as in merry and happy. as for whether he's homosexual, i don't have the answer to that. but what if he was? would you like him more or less because of it? i have gay friends, and i don't think their sexual preference makes me like them any more or less than my straight friends. i know comments like "he's gay" will never disappear from this forum or society in general and that's fine, i'm not asking for that, but where does all the speculation really lead you? do you even want an answer? and suppose you were right and he was gay and came out- what would you say? "see, i told you he was gay"? if that's it, good for you, your gaydar functions well. maybe you can go out and look for more gay men in your spare time.

and to nestor's switch flip over the rail at quimby-- still probably the hardest trick to go down on the spot.

Chris P. Bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • CA All Day
« Reply #1305 on: December 28, 2010, 09:33:50 AM »
its funny how no one could think of who it was who did the backside and daryl was a guest pro hahaha

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #1306 on: December 28, 2010, 10:13:55 AM »

and to nestor's switch flip over the rail at quimby-- still probably the hardest trick to go down on the spot.

yeah it's crazy too because that was the first time i can remember seeing footage at that spot, so i assumed that considering he did a switch flip over it, it must be pretty easy to skate. this episode made me see how that nestor is just amazing and the spot is hard to skate.

Fine Young Cannibal

• Rep: 49
« Reply #1307 on: December 28, 2010, 10:23:38 AM »
i hope to see some true mango skating.  when i lived in arizona i seen him skate a couple times in person.  the kid is awesome and super funny, just seems kinda weirded out by the whole contest thing. 
Probably not gonna happen.

I'm pretty certain that Mango realizes he's not gonna win, so he's just enjoying his trip to SF.  Can't blame the kid.

krewkruxklan

• Rep: 17
    • SUPRFI$CAL avatar image
« Reply #1308 on: December 28, 2010, 02:08:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

mango does get some real tricks in and i personally liked having him around no matter if he was skating to win the contest or not-- which he obviously wasn't-- because he brought smiles and laughs to everybody aside from forrest, and represented the idea that you "win" in the grand scheme of things by having fun and skating how you want. yes, i understand it is a contest and he didn't treat it like a contest, but part of me likes that. anyhow, here's a spoiler: mango does not win OIAM 2010!
and as for whether or not he's gay-- yes, he is gay. as in merry and happy. as for whether he's homosexual, i don't have the answer to that. but what if he was? would you like him more or less because of it? i have gay friends, and i don't think their sexual preference makes me like them any more or less than my straight friends. i know comments like "he's gay" will never disappear from this forum or society in general and that's fine, i'm not asking for that, but where does all the speculation really lead you? do you even want an answer? and suppose you were right and he was gay and came out- what would you say? "see, i told you he was gay"? if that's it, good for you, your gaydar functions well. maybe you can go out and look for more gay men in your spare time.

if there's one thing i take pride in it's my gaydar

cats is nice but I aint seen god since hova spit that navy blue to me
SUPRFI$CAL

hasselbladical

• Rep: 55
« Reply #1309 on: December 28, 2010, 02:13:43 PM »
Mango shot by Patrick Driscoll:

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1310 on: December 28, 2010, 02:32:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
you missed-

[close]

disagree with the mango part, hes a reminder that skating is all about having fun thats why i started in the first place (if thats what you meant about that comment)... but i agree with the rest. john deffently has a good attitude. forrest is in it to win it and its a compettion, if thats what whiteley meant by overall approach, that could mean try to skate every kind of spot or how much he actually liked the person or some shit.
I assumed attitude was the one that was code for "how cool were you."
I'm not saying Mango doesn't have a fun loving attitude, I'm just saying his soul skater comment was tongue in cheek. The way he was saying it was a joke as if he doesn't film at all, and obviously he does. I honestly think that in many ways he seems kind of out matched and intimidated by the competition.  I agree with somebody earlier when they were saying he looks kind of overwhelmed by the whole situation. Brook wasn't saying "you need to skate more," he was saying "you need to film more." I think he's definitely having a good time and doing some cool stuff, I just think that he is having trouble figuring out how to play the game.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #1311 on: December 28, 2010, 03:02:25 PM »

This shot is so dope!Almost looks photoshopped because there is hardly a shadow at the bottom.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

hekkahyphy

« Reply #1312 on: December 28, 2010, 04:06:38 PM »
Is mango the dude in that youtube video with that plushtoy in the background of all the clips?? I swear milic sounds familiar

BFKskateboards

« Reply #1313 on: December 28, 2010, 05:32:36 PM »
that's cause the sun is kinda low

VictoriousOG

« Reply #1314 on: December 28, 2010, 06:52:36 PM »
Is mango the dude in that youtube video with that plushtoy in the background of all the clips?? I swear milic sounds familiar
Yes.

I really wanted to see Forrest get that B/S Flip. And Ruebens ollie on the double is pretty intense.

Carter

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1315 on: December 28, 2010, 09:35:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm pretty certain that Mango realizes he's not gonna win, so he's just enjoying his trip to SF.  Can't blame the kid.
thie kid lives a quick couple hour drive from az to sf not to big of an adventure. hes gonna get hooked up im sure maybe not cause of this but if you watch his footage....milic kills it

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #1316 on: December 28, 2010, 10:26:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think the internet's perception of gay has nothing to do with actual homosexuality. Like if someone responded "Yes, I am a gay" it would be like "Oh... ok, but you're still GAY".
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1317 on: December 29, 2010, 12:31:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think the internet's perception of gay has nothing to do with actual homosexuality. Like if someone responded "Yes, I am a gay" it would be like "Oh... ok, but you're still GAY".
Even if you don't mean it that way, associating the word gay with negative connotations is definitively homophobic. Also, pretty sure people mean it that way.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
thie kid lives a quick couple hour drive from az to sf not to big of an adventure. hes gonna get hooked up im sure maybe not cause of this but if you watch his footage....milic kills it
Dude, There is no part of Arizona that is a quick couple hour drive from SF. Its 6 hours to LA from AZ, and LA is far closer both in terms of lattitude and longitude. I'm guessing AZ to SF is a 10-12 hour trip minimum. Oh, and the fact that his entire week was paid for, he got a whole package of skate shit, and it included a free tour of a ton of spots probably made it pretty nice even to lose.
I love how Mango and Forrest are such polar opposites.

Alaska

• Rep: -65
« Reply #1318 on: December 29, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
Mango shot by Patrick Driscoll:

That back smith is probably the best thing this kid has every done.

Fine Young Cannibal

• Rep: 49
« Reply #1319 on: December 29, 2010, 09:30:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
As ol' Gippy said, AZ to SF isn't a "quick" drive at all.  I never said he wasn't good either, I actually like the way he skates. However, do I see him beating out John, Reuben, Matty or Gonzalo? Absolutely not.