5 (0.8%)
Bobby Dekyzer
6 (0.9%)
The Duff Man
21 (3.3%)
Spencer Hamilton
7 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 610

Author Topic: Official SLAP 2018 SOTY Poll  (Read 33894 times)

Pigeon

Re: Official SLAP 2018 SOTY Poll
« Reply #210 on: November 25, 2018, 02:59:51 AM »
You shouldn't be allowed to win SOTY if you eat dog shit or refuse to vaccinate your kids.
No, but you should win if you skated & put out footage like Evan Smith.

heckler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #211 on: November 25, 2018, 06:33:23 AM »
Expand Quote
You shouldn't be allowed to win SOTY if you eat dog shit or refuse to vaccinate your kids.
[close]
I stand by my point. He had a much more impressive year in 2016 and didn't win it. He shouldn't be a shoo-in just because he took part in the Thrasher KOTR circus.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #212 on: November 25, 2018, 06:39:38 AM »
my favorite skaters this year were mike arnold, jacopo carozzi and franky villani.

suprisebuttsex

• Rep: -7
« Reply #213 on: November 25, 2018, 01:40:41 PM »
WHERE'S NICK BOSERIO?

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #214 on: November 25, 2018, 03:40:09 PM »
Can we get Winkowski on the list, please!
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

Dermbot

« Reply #215 on: November 26, 2018, 08:00:27 AM »
Expand Quote
You gotta think, its all gotta make sense after the fact. They have the trip after so there is a whole content roll out of them going to where the soty always wanted to go with all his friends. So you gotta think who has the crew thats gonna produce the best post award roll out on a marketing level. Plug that in and Duffel is out. Someone from POLER is out of the question because that wouldnt resonate to the masses right. KOTR was enough road tripping with evan smith. Amazing as fuck but just too much of a wild card for the whole flashy big time thrasher machine now.

Think of all the eyes on thrasher now, Unfortunately it only makes sense for Zion to win at this point. The whole DLX thing. Hes gonna be one of the front runners for the US olympics and the whole NIKE thing. Goes on every thrasher trip. Im sure he has another part dropping out of nowhere before the year ends. He rides for hot wheels and just fits the whole gimmick that SOTY is now. We've been clinging on to SOTY's credibility the last youple times but after Foy won over LL or Tiago, any credibility it had left was lost.

Brands like Nike or Vands or all those big dudes help pay for all these lavish trips and shit. With all of Zion's endorsments, they could get a serious roll out for a whole year of content paid for and ad campaigns. doing commercials for TV and insta or whatever. Think about it from that end now. Louie Lopez doesnt wear red bull hats in all his clips but Foy does. Sending 10 dudes to austrailia for 10 days including media and a ridiculous AirBnB aint coming out of nowhere. Baker and Thrasher dont pay for all that.
[close]
You must've forgotten how hard Thrasher was pushing LL last year, nearly everyone (myself included) thought he was going to win over Foy or Tiago (who both deserved it more imo)

Totally agree. I still cant believe LL didnt get it.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #216 on: November 26, 2018, 05:46:50 PM »

slobplant

• Rep: -12
« Reply #217 on: November 26, 2018, 06:21:00 PM »

Yeah this sealed it for me. The nollie flip was insane.

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #218 on: November 28, 2018, 03:40:05 PM »
SOTY FINALISTS:
Austyn Gillette
Nyjah Huston (WTF Thrasher)
Tyshawn Jones
Chris Joslin
Milton Martinez
Oskar Rosenberg
Evan Smith
Zion Wright

Stoopid

• Rep: -2
« Reply #219 on: November 28, 2018, 05:41:04 PM »
SOTY FINALISTS:
Austyn Gillette
Tyshawn Jones
Chris Joslin
Milton Martinez
Oskar Rosenberg
Evan Smith
Zion Wright

So fucked up... Where is Nassim Guammaz? Mason Silva? I mean who gives a fuck about SOTY, but still...

Unpopular opinion: Tyshawn had a great part but doesn't deserve SOTY...

But these finalists made it easy for him (if votes count) : if you forget about the olympic skaters there are 5 skaters:

- Austyn Gilette: magnificient when he skate but was not his year

- Oski: Euro skater, the polar video did not get featured on thrasher so less views and impact on people that don't keep up

- Milton Martinez: So fucked up. Probably the most thrasher of them all. Would deserve it for sure... But fuck he doesn't have a style that fits 2019, and since it's 16 yo voting...

So in the end it's pretty much Evan Smith VS Tyshawn Jones.

Smith has the freak vibe, Jones has the cool boy vibe.

Skateboarding is now a cool boy wannabe thing (supreme) , not a freak thing (element) anymore : probably Tyshawn SOTY .

Unless the Phelps rigs the votes to make a california dude win, or maybe Element n DC gave more money in print commercials than Supreme and Addidas haha

But when you see what the last SOTY had to put out in term of coverage and part before earning the title, don't tell me TJ is SOTY material. (But closing the Supreme vid, probably the VOTY for a lot of people, obviously gets you a pass)

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #220 on: November 28, 2018, 05:52:49 PM »
this year has been utterly insane

evan, tyshawn, oski, milton would be my vote order but really dont even care who gets it, there's a never ending stream of footage is pouring out of these dudes

PABLOS SWANPOWERS LOBSTER

« Reply #221 on: November 28, 2018, 06:20:20 PM »
Evan for SOTY. He had the best part this year for sure and MVP on kotr. Tyshawn seems like the biggest dick in that supreme team.

ungzilla

« Reply #222 on: November 28, 2018, 06:27:21 PM »
Expand Quote
SOTY FINALISTS:
Austyn Gillette
Tyshawn Jones
Chris Joslin
Milton Martinez
Oskar Rosenberg
Evan Smith
Zion Wright
[close]

So fucked up... Where is Nassim Guammaz? Mason Silva? I mean who gives a fuck about SOTY, but still...

But these finalists made it easy for him (if votes count) : if you forget about the olympic skaters there are 5 skaters:

- Oski: Euro skater, the polar video did not get featured on thrasher so less views and impact on people that don't keep up

- Milton Martinez: So fucked up. Probably the most thrasher of them all. Would deserve it for sure... But fuck he doesn't have a style that fits 2019, and since it's 16 yo voting...

Skateboarding is now a cool boy wannabe thing (supreme) , not a freak thing (element) anymore : probably Tyshawn SOTY .

Unless the Phelps rigs the votes to make a california dude win, or maybe Element n DC gave more money in print commercials than Supreme and Addidas haha

But when you see what the last SOTY had to put out in term of coverage and part before earning the title, don't tell me TJ is SOTY material. (But closing the Supreme vid, probably the VOTY for a lot of people, obviously gets you a pass)

28 trillion votes by teens still count less than what rail stunt somehow managed to lodge itself inside of phelps drug-addled CTE factory
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:29:47 PM by ungzilla »

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #223 on: November 28, 2018, 06:30:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I stand by my point. He had a much more impressive year in 2016 and didn't win it. He shouldn't be a shoo-in just because he took part in the Thrasher KOTR circus.

this, 100%.
We all know what a festering pile of trash Puleo is now, but when he commented "rollerblading" on Kyle Walker's 5050, I died. Evan was robbed in 2016.
He is sick but this year wasn't his best--he'll outshine in a few years if he keeps it up.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

UL8

• Rep: 29
« Reply #224 on: November 28, 2018, 07:08:19 PM »
I was a vocal supporter of Corey Glick, but I guess since he's out I'd be ok with either Evan or Tyshawn. Liked Tyshawn's stuff more this year, but feel like Evan has won it for what he did in past years (even though it's skater of THE year, I like the idea of people getting it cause of past skating).

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #225 on: November 28, 2018, 07:47:49 PM »
I was reading Zion's bio on the thrasher site and it said "Rookie year" which brought to mind how years ago when Nyjah was a top contender someone said he hasn't "bled enough" or something along those lines, I feel it's the same for Zion. He killed it no doubt but I feel that same sentiment holds up for him.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #226 on: November 28, 2018, 09:33:18 PM »
Expand Quote
SOTY FINALISTS:
Austyn Gillette
Tyshawn Jones
Chris Joslin
Milton Martinez
Oskar Rosenberg
Evan Smith
Zion Wright
[close]

Interesting analysis. Milton is gnarly but seems like it will be Tyshawn or more likely, Evan.

Crazy looking at the comments on Thrasher website. Almost everyone person is saying Joslin should get SOTY.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

plasticsurgerydisasters

• Rep: -2
« Reply #227 on: November 28, 2018, 09:43:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
SOTY FINALISTS:
Austyn Gillette
Tyshawn Jones
Chris Joslin
Milton Martinez
Oskar Rosenberg
Evan Smith
Zion Wright
[close]

[close]

Interesting analysis. Milton is gnarly but seems like it will be Tyshawn or more likely, Evan.

Crazy looking at the comments on Thrasher website. Almost everyone person is saying Joslin should get SOTY.
Joslin definitely speaks to the people who still use facebook

suprisebuttsex

• Rep: -7
« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2018, 09:45:03 PM »
SOTY FINALISTS:
Austyn Gillette
Tyshawn Jones
Chris Joslin
Milton Martinez
Oskar Rosenberg
Evan Smith
Zion Wright
Evan smith going to win, because he was in kotr and that's only thing matter. And of course his peace part was so good.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 11:08:13 PM by suprisebuttsex »

themeangreen

• Rep: -75
« Reply #229 on: November 28, 2018, 10:10:14 PM »
I was reading Zion's bio on the thrasher site and it said "Rookie year" which brought to mind how years ago when Nyjah was a top contender someone said he hasn't "bled enough" or something along those lines, I feel it's the same for Zion. He killed it no doubt but I feel that same sentiment holds up for him.

Zion has had a ton of gnarly falls this year but if you're referring to experience he's seems like the youngest of the bunch(him and Tyshawn are around the same age). TJ's parts are mind bending and insane but the dude didn't have a full part of diverse tricks. I feel like Tyshawn is a better version of Luis Tolentino.

7plyoverdose

• Rep: 0
« Reply #230 on: November 28, 2018, 10:31:48 PM »

I personally back Zion, but Evan probably deserves it more. TJ rips and is an insane talent, but in my humble opinion a skater of the year should be able to kill it on all terrains not just street, (which is the common denominator for the majority of  past SOTY's and Zion and Evan). If TJ wins cool, but until I see him rip vert or go hard at FDR, Burnside, or one of the plethora of big parks out there, just can't fully back him. Ishod was sorta in the same place as TJ, but worked on his transition skills and bagged SOTY, so maybe TJ will do the same.  I'm not making this call because I'm some insane ATV, making it based on his occupation as a professional skater and the public critique that goes with it. Said as much on Strobeck's insta post on TJ being SOTY and he deleted the comment.....

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #231 on: November 28, 2018, 11:42:29 PM »
I was a vocal supporter of Corey Glick, but I guess since he's out I'd be ok with either Evan or Tyshawn. Liked Tyshawn's stuff more this year, but feel like Evan has won it for what he did in past years (even though it's skater of THE year, I like the idea of people getting it cause of past skating).
Dennis Busenitz would like to have a word with you

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Peter Elbow

• Rep: -1
« Reply #232 on: November 28, 2018, 11:47:24 PM »
Feedback_ts

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #233 on: November 29, 2018, 12:31:46 AM »
I think that Joslin is the one that deserve the soty award even if I don't feel his vibe or his sponsors are wack.

This year he had more than 20 minutes of amazing footage and I think that he still have some more to unveil.

Being said I will be happy with Gillette, Even or TJ.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:34:20 AM by alraunen »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #234 on: November 29, 2018, 12:34:07 AM »
Evan should have one the year he had two parts. He should win this year just for being an ass on KOTR. Tyshawn is dope but I am that old guy that’s going to say it’s too early.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
« Reply #235 on: November 29, 2018, 09:34:16 AM »
New Foy part

I need a coffee

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #236 on: November 29, 2018, 10:05:26 AM »
That's fucked Jake Anderson didn't even make the first cut of finalists on Thrasher.

Zion won't win for the same reason Sheckler, Nyjah, etc. have never won. Evan and Tyshawn are both such better representations of skating. At the same time I always thought the rock n roll hall of fame was the lamest, least rock n roll thing ever, yet every year I get all riled up over the soty race. Maybe it's appropriate to give a trophy to a guy like Zion. It would be rad if Evan turned it down.

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #237 on: November 29, 2018, 10:42:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah this sealed it for me. The nollie flip was insane.
They were insane but this is what sealed for you? There is no shortage of guys that can pop that ollie..you don't think Tiago or Jake Hayes could pull that? That dude Z ollied his car. Do you see a bunch of guys do full speed kf wallrides in a run? What about the wallie to a 15 foot drop or the 540 off that bump in France(I think)? Tech + Gnar. I think we will see people catching up to what TJ is doing before they catch Evan. I'm a huge TJ fan but evan is on another planet and he wasn't just on KOTR he did all the nasty shit nobody wanted to do and then out skated everybody.

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
« Reply #238 on: November 29, 2018, 10:58:47 AM »
That's fucked Jake Anderson didn't even make the first cut of finalists on Thrasher.

Zion won't win for the same reason Sheckler, Nyjah, etc. have never won. Evan and Tyshawn are both such better representations of skating. At the same time I always thought the rock n roll hall of fame was the lamest, least rock n roll thing ever, yet every year I get all riled up over the soty race. Maybe it's appropriate to give a trophy to a guy like Zion. It would be rad if Evan turned it down.

wtf did jake do this year ?

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #239 on: November 29, 2018, 11:13:33 AM »
Maybe I'm combining this year w/ last year, but he's released 3-4 solid video parts recently.