Author Topic: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)  (Read 36038 times)

sharkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
Re: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)
« Reply #390 on: May 05, 2023, 06:50:13 PM »
Dammit I don’t need a fiber rider… or do I? DO I?!?

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #391 on: May 05, 2023, 07:56:12 PM »
I wish it had been 27". Seems expensive for a plain fibreglass deck when you can pick up old 70s ones off Ebay for much less.
ive handled a few of those mpi ones when i was working at a shop and got a bunch of fiberglass slivers and vowed never to touch them again. i also like giving neil my money

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 175
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #392 on: May 05, 2023, 08:01:36 PM »
Dammit I don’t need a fiber rider… or do I? DO I?!?

Same way I feel about the bank mauler

fernando the skater

• Rep: 120
« Reply #393 on: May 06, 2023, 03:01:12 AM »
Expand Quote
I wish it had been 27". Seems expensive for a plain fibreglass deck when you can pick up old 70s ones off Ebay for much less.
[close]
ive handled a few of those mpi ones when i was working at a shop and got a bunch of fiberglass slivers and vowed never to touch them again. i also like giving neil my money

I had one of those MPI laminated fibreglass decks, and yes, not that great. No flex for me (11 st).

I've got one of these plain 70s fibreglass decks, and also have a PS Stix Polarizer (with the reversed logo screening), which I've not set up, as I prefer the flex on the 70s deck; more flex than the Polarizer.

IpathCats

« Reply #394 on: May 06, 2023, 05:34:48 AM »
Woa, that fiber rider looks cool.

Kinda wanna try the heated wheel trucks too.

Spending money on silly setups that I don't ride much is a curse I will never be free from

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #395 on: May 13, 2023, 08:24:41 AM »
My track n field is warped

It had a slight warp when I set it up but it’s gotten so much worse. Tried leaving it under 100lbs of weight on a table saw for a month or so in the winter but didn’t change much.
Don’t notice it at all when riding but probably going to use this to justify a fiber rider  ;D ;D

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #396 on: May 15, 2023, 08:49:43 AM »
Ok, I'm late to the party here.  What kind/size wheels do I want for one of the polarizers with the Heated Wheel trucks?  Thanks all.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #397 on: May 15, 2023, 12:32:51 PM »
56mm Bones Rough Riders are the standard

Any soft, medium sized wheel works fine, but you may have to tweak it with spacers to keep some shapes of wheels from rubbing the trucks

boston_bruins

« Reply #398 on: May 15, 2023, 05:07:33 PM »
My track n field is warped

It had a slight warp when I set it up but it’s gotten so much worse. Tried leaving it under 100lbs of weight on a table saw for a month or so in the winter but didn’t change much.
Don’t notice it at all when riding but probably going to use this to justify a fiber rider  ;D ;D
Damn, maybe email those dudes bout that, maybe they will send you a replacement

Thebird

« Reply #399 on: May 15, 2023, 07:31:21 PM »

Any soft, medium sized wheel works fine, but you may have to tweak it with spacers to keep some shapes of wheels from rubbing the trucks

Thank you.  Still trying to figure out thepieces I want.  Another question, so it looks like the hardware is just screws to screw the trucks to the deck.  Is that correct?

Art Greco

• Rep: 14
    • Skate2Junkies avatar image
« Reply #400 on: May 16, 2023, 03:00:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thank you.  Still trying to figure out thepieces I want.  Another question, so it looks like the hardware is just screws to screw the trucks to the deck.  Is that correct?

If I’m not mistaken, the Heated Wheel trucks take standard hardware. If you’re using Sure Grip trucks, those attach with wood screws.

Also, if you can’t find Rough Riders in stock, OJ Mini Juice are a nice choice for these setups. I use three washers on the inside of each wheel.
What's going on over at https://skate2junkies.proboards.com/ ???

Thebird

« Reply #401 on: May 16, 2023, 12:23:50 PM »
Good to know.  Thank you for the help!  I thought they used the wood screws because it looked like the HW hardware was wood screws.

Art Greco

« Reply #402 on: May 17, 2023, 02:21:05 AM »
Good to know.  Thank you for the help!  I thought they used the wood screws because it looked like the HW hardware was wood screws.

You’re right, the Heated Wheel branded hardware is a pack of wood screws. But, those are for use with Sure Grip or other rollerskate style trucks. But, I believe the Heated Wheel trucks are designed to be mounted with conventional skateboard hardware.

I use the HW wood screws and Sure Grip combo on a traditional Polarizer, but someone else on here can probably verify which hardware the HW branded trucks use, since I haven’t had any experience with them.

The Heated Wheel now sells the pre-drilled version of the deck that works with their trucks and a non-drilled (traditional) version that works with rollerskate trucks.

Looking forward to seeing your setup and hearing how you enjoy polarizing!  Glad to see interest in this niche growing.

George Vallore

• Rep: 15
« Reply #403 on: May 17, 2023, 07:08:07 AM »

My lil shitty skatepark is essentially nothing but various banks and a clamshell.

I can confirm: This fucker mauls banks.

Recommend.

fernando the skater

« Reply #404 on: May 17, 2023, 08:47:54 AM »

My lil shitty skatepark is essentially nothing but various banks and a clamshell.
I can confirm: This fucker mauls banks.
Recommend.

Is there any flex to it?

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #405 on: May 17, 2023, 09:38:38 AM »
Bank Mauler looks like it could be a fun ride.  How does it compare to the feeling of a Polarizer vs. a “normal” board?

Never messed with Ace 00’s - or roller skate trucks to be honest - I keep hearing the latter are tricky to get the hang of and I’m a bigger person so it’s kept me away somewhat… but I’m interested in trying a setup of one or both at some point soon.

boston_bruins

« Reply #406 on: May 17, 2023, 07:08:05 PM »
Bones 59mm ATF Skate Aid wheels are also really good ones. You can still use wood screws with Heated Wheel trucks if you don’t feel like drilling out board for regular hardware. I have heard that Heated Wheel trucks turn really good, FYI. The Fiber Rider looks pretty rad, need to get a report from someone that buys one

George Vallore

« Reply #407 on: May 18, 2023, 03:25:21 AM »
No real flex to the Bank Mauler.

It's a "tradtional" board. Mild concave from truck to truck. About 8 1/4 at widest point.

NO TAIL. Your back foot fits right in this nice "pocket" over the back truck. Lots of back foot control.

With the Aces, it's super carvy.

I've been calling it a "skatepark cruiser" if that makes sense. You smack bank walls with the carves of a polarizer but nowhere near as squirrel-y. It's FUN.

Sikost

• Rep: 0
« Reply #408 on: May 18, 2023, 01:22:26 PM »
I just bought some old Acs 430 trucks, but the pivot cups are missing. What pivot cups should I buy that will fît in? I read that Riptide are good but what models as they have many shapes?
What about Sure grip cup?

About bushings, can I put bones bushing on the 430?

George Vallore

« Reply #409 on: May 18, 2023, 02:28:45 PM »
I just bought some old Acs 430 trucks, but the pivot cups are missing. What pivot cups should I buy that will fît in? I read that Riptide are good but what models as they have many shapes?

I had ACS430 pivot cup issues, and man oh man are finding replacements a total pain. SG pivot cups don't fit the hole and the hanger pivot arm is a bit too fat for them.

I tried riptide replacements as well, no dice. It stunk.

I would look on ebay, honestly.

if you put bones bushings on a 430, you have to use 4 BOTTOM bushings-the taller ones. otherwise, no dice on the geometry.

Sikost

« Reply #410 on: May 18, 2023, 02:49:08 PM »
Thanks for the answer!

Yes four Bones bottom bushing is what I was planning on doing!

So there is no pivot cup that will fit the 430? What about ACS 500 pivot cup? I have some at home.

boston_bruins

« Reply #411 on: May 18, 2023, 02:56:19 PM »
Get different trucks those are gonna be a pain in the ass

boston_bruins

« Reply #412 on: May 18, 2023, 08:09:41 PM »
My homie sent me this awhile back & I posted it here maybe, can’t remember but here it is again

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #413 on: May 19, 2023, 12:41:05 AM »
ace 00 afaik are supposed to one of the worst options for that size, with penny trucks surprisingly being the best!

fernando the skater

« Reply #414 on: May 19, 2023, 12:42:58 AM »

I've got ACS 430s. They're on the board posted above. I'm using Tracker small-pivot "Haftrack" pivot cups from the 70s. They're hard and work great. You can get them on Ebay. And for bushings I'm using standard Khiro, Independent bushings with flat washers.

biaherl

• Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #415 on: May 19, 2023, 12:49:06 AM »
My homie sent me this awhile back & I posted it here maybe, can’t remember but here it is again

Incase you missed it

Uploaded here:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=70334.msg3899980#msg3899980

George Vallore

« Reply #416 on: May 19, 2023, 02:53:25 AM »
Get different trucks those are gonna be a pain in the ass

I can second this through experience.

Ultimately really, the Heated Wheel polarizer trucks are WAY more bang for your buck all around. Functionality, replacement parts, etc. And ride really, really well.

Sikost

« Reply #417 on: May 19, 2023, 01:02:39 PM »
Alright thanks a lot for the advices!

Better get the Heated Wheels than the Sure grip trucks?!

Do you need to add some Bones soft bushing on the Heated Wheels trucks or they are great as they are?

Art Greco

« Reply #418 on: May 19, 2023, 02:27:52 PM »
Alright thanks a lot for the advices!

Better get the Heated Wheels than the Sure grip trucks?!

Do you need to add some Bones soft bushing on the Heated Wheels trucks or they are great as they are?

Depends on the deck, imo. If you’re buying the Polarizer deck that’s pre-drilled, I’d go with the Heated Wheel trucks. 

Personally, I have the traditional (non-drilled) version with Sure-Grip trucks (bushings swapped out for Bones soft bottoms). I like how squirrelly it is and I like that I was able to determine my own wheelbase.

The pre-drilled/HW truck option is definitely the easier route, but I haven’t ridden out a setup like that so I can’t speak to how it handles compared to the traditional setup.

I think it’s cool that Blender offers both options.

Sikost

« Reply #419 on: May 19, 2023, 03:24:37 PM »
I checked eBay for the Haftrack pivot cup but they sell bags of 50 of them, and I’m in France, with shipping and taxes that would be very expensive for 2 pivot cup unfortunately…

I’m planning on getting a non drilled HW board so I could go either for the HW trucks or the Sure Grip!

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer my questions, it is very helpful!