Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 362040 times)

DISTANT RUMOURS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #2760 on: March 19, 2024, 01:47:21 PM »
Incredible episode, and dare I say it? Even a great interview by Crob!

What was also cool is that they let him speak about the whole "chocolate" issues without a filter.

Gnarly lifestory and I've always loved Chico.

Still do!

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #2761 on: March 19, 2024, 01:55:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What did he say to Kelly? I keep seeing people mention it but can’t find it.
[close]
Time stamp is 1:51:52 on YouTube
[close]

Cool - thanks!

Damn. I just tuned into his timestamp, that was real as fuck. Cannot wait to watch from the beginning. I'm so stoked to hear that this one turned out good.

DirtyCheddarKids

• Rep: 43
« Reply #2762 on: March 19, 2024, 02:05:00 PM »
Loved it! Especially the Crailtap talk. Not throwing shade at Chico, but the whole “they should have talked to me” was kinda funny as a few minutes later he reminisces about how he told Chocolate that he had only a little scratch on his knee when actually he knew he would be out for a longer period.
Quote from: Uncle Flea
4 shoes is impressive AF. I could barely sell drugs.

Shuh

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2763 on: March 19, 2024, 02:37:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Cool - thanks!
[close]

Damn. I just tuned into his timestamp, that was real as fuck. Cannot wait to watch from the beginning. I'm so stoked to hear that this one turned out good.

So im not clear on this one Kelly was about to get on Chocolate or something?

Skateboard Shuffle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #2764 on: March 19, 2024, 02:58:05 PM »
Great episode. Chico rules.

“Your favorite pro is one of the biggest kooks.”  ;D

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #2765 on: March 19, 2024, 03:30:50 PM »
This was one of the best episodes they’ve done. It was super interesting and one of the few episodes you come away saying to yourself I’d love to chill with this dude. Really funny dude

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #2766 on: March 19, 2024, 05:12:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Cool - thanks!
[close]

[close]

So im not clear on this one Kelly was about to get on Chocolate or something?

nah, he was on Chico's company central (where he turned pro), and left back to expedition one

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -35
« Reply #2767 on: March 20, 2024, 05:17:32 AM »

Couldn’t tell if that was a statement or a veiled diss at Crob’s favourite skater Eric Koston?

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -3
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #2768 on: March 20, 2024, 07:32:32 AM »
 Chico seems like one of those dudes who’s a bullshitter until it’s time to get serious, and then he’s the realest dude around.

Having someone on who wasn’t worried about towing the line and just said what he wanted was refreshing. To treat one of your originals like that is a scummy look on Mike and Rick’s part. They blasted Marc for how he went about things and then turned around and treated Chico like that, way hypocritical

Jim and Dan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2769 on: March 20, 2024, 07:38:02 AM »
Chico seems like one of those dudes who’s a bullshitter until it’s time to get serious, and then he’s the realest dude around.

Having someone on who wasn’t worried about towing the line and just said what he wanted was refreshing. To treat one of your originals like that is a scummy look on Mike and Rick’s part. They blasted Marc for how he went about things and then turned around and treated Chico like that, way hypocritical

Like Chico said, Crail is good at sweeping things under the rug and not addressing issues (probably a veiled comment on the Yonnie and Kenny situations).
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #2770 on: March 20, 2024, 08:21:54 AM »

Timestamp?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 821
« Reply #2771 on: March 20, 2024, 09:08:13 AM »
Chico kept it real. Refreshing to see someone not hold back. I suppose he can afford to do that at this stage in his career.

BluffsideTank

• Rep: -16
« Reply #2772 on: March 20, 2024, 09:11:37 AM »
Just started the Chico episode and it's great so far.

I listened to the David Reyes episode the other day and was a lot more impressed than I thought I would be. I had just assumed he was a dude prone to piling out and sponsor hopping,  but he set the record straight (and didn't sound that defensive about it).

Dad Board

« Reply #2773 on: March 20, 2024, 09:26:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Like Chico said, Crail is good at sweeping things under the rug and not addressing issues (probably a veiled comment on the Yonnie and Kenny situations).

Don’t forget this guy
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 11:19:20 AM by Free hat »

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2774 on: March 21, 2024, 12:37:26 AM »
One of the better none club interviews for sure. I didn't realize how charismatic he was. Felt like listening in on a mad convo at the spot
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 10:09:12 PM by Sila »

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2775 on: March 21, 2024, 10:32:46 AM »
I think it was shared around slap that crail pros all made $3k per month guaranteed, and if they all got cut in half now that would be $1.5k

Dad Board

« Reply #2776 on: March 21, 2024, 10:52:23 AM »
I think it was shared around slap that crail pros all made $3k per month guaranteed, and if they all got cut in half now that would be $1.5k

If you’re not making enough to pay your employees you don’t deserve to be in business. Regardless of the industry. Glad Chico got out and is doing well for himself.

malevy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2777 on: March 21, 2024, 01:18:16 PM »
Chico episode was GREAT. Wonder if mike and rick would ever come on and discuss their side of the story.

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #2778 on: March 21, 2024, 03:07:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you’re not making enough to pay your employees you don’t deserve to be in business. Regardless of the industry. Glad Chico got out and is doing well for himself.

They probably were still paying their actual employees on time. Sadly, the riders are all contractors and it’s a lot easier not to pay them on time without penalty. Not saying that’s cool, but that’s the reason why we hear stories about riders getting paid late all the time.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1081
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #2779 on: March 21, 2024, 05:17:16 PM »
I would imagine cash flow would be tricky with a business that big, paying invoices for manufacturing, rent on your building, sitting on hundreds of thousands of dollars in product, paying for licensing with sanrio and all the other big ones.
Probably easiest to wait to pay your riders, doesn't make it ok and they should be keeping people in the loop.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #2780 on: March 21, 2024, 05:50:24 PM »
I would imagine cash flow would be tricky with a business that big, paying invoices for manufacturing, rent on your building, sitting on hundreds of thousands of dollars in product, paying for licensing with sanrio and all the other big ones.
Probably easiest to wait to pay your riders, doesn't make it ok and they should be keeping people in the loop.

Sure. But after 20 some years, you’d think you’d have it down.

Dad Board

« Reply #2781 on: March 21, 2024, 06:34:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They probably were still paying their actual employees on time. Sadly, the riders are all contractors and it’s a lot easier not to pay them on time without penalty. Not saying that’s cool, but that’s the reason why we hear stories about riders getting paid late all the time.

This is why pro/am skateboarders need a union. It’s absurd they go without healthcare and rely on a handshake to get paid at this point in the industry. Not to mention having virtually no exit plan or retirement package after spending their formative years breaking themselves off to help a company sell product.

OwlGreen

• Rep: -127
« Reply #2782 on: March 22, 2024, 04:15:19 AM »
I wanna see a Jeffwon episode.

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -35
« Reply #2783 on: March 22, 2024, 05:48:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

This is why pro/am skateboarders need a union. It’s absurd they go without healthcare and rely on a handshake to get paid at this point in the industry. Not to mention having virtually no exit plan or retirement package after spending their formative years breaking themselves off to help a company sell product.

Does the pron industry have unions?

Dad Board

« Reply #2784 on: March 22, 2024, 10:25:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Does the pron industry have unions?

Of course! https://shrimpalliance.com/

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 46
« Reply #2785 on: March 22, 2024, 12:58:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm sure the industryheads won't let it get that far, they have their ways, like the time they caught the ferry over to shelbyville.

Dad Board

« Reply #2786 on: March 22, 2024, 01:12:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm sure the industryheads won't let it get that far, they have their ways, like the time they caught the ferry over to shelbyville.

I don’t think it will happen anytime soon. There’s too many young people who would give anything just to get free product and some attention. To them it’s like winning the lottery to be selected to represent a company, and in a way it is. Just sucks because it’s a bunch of old guys running the show who know better and don’t see any need for reform. It would take some kind of legislation to qualify skaters as employees rather than contractors.

rkulla

« Reply #2787 on: March 22, 2024, 01:50:06 PM »
Timestamps
00:00:00 Brian Reid & Jack Curtin
00:01:39 Eggs (the spot)
00:01:56 How does Jack stay young?
00:03:30 How did Jack and Brian meet
00:04:13 How Brian got on DGK
00:05:48 Jack's New Balance Pulaski shoe
00:08:33 Jack leaving DGK for Skate Mental then going back to DGK
00:18:28 Maneuvering in the industry as an older skater
00:20:53 Brian going pro
00:31:45 The return of iconic spots
00:36:32 Getting hooked up by New Balance
00:42:25 The DC tour days
00:46:49 Jack on Fallen Footwear
00:54:07 Jamie Thomas has Jack's back
00:55:41 Zero x DGK fresh til death tour
00:56:20 Jack going to japan with FTC
01:05:29 Tampa contests
01:06:18 Jack barfing up burgers that Lutzka bought him
01:12:31 Kelly "the man skater" Hart
01:19:36 Jack getting on Lucky Skateboards
01:26:31 Brian in the Raw video
01:32:03 Basmati Brian
01:34:54 Brian plays the sax
01:36:42 How did Brian find skateboarding
01:41:25 Kelly immortalized
01:47:10 The NB we got now commercial with Jack

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 66
« Reply #2788 on: March 22, 2024, 02:47:55 PM »
Timestamps
00:00:00 Brian Reid & Jack Curtin
00:01:39 Eggs (the spot)
00:01:56 How does Jack stay young?
00:03:30 How did Jack and Brian meet
00:04:13 How Brian got on DGK
00:05:48 Jack's New Balance Pulaski shoe
00:08:33 Jack leaving DGK for Skate Mental then going back to DGK
00:18:28 Maneuvering in the industry as an older skater
00:20:53 Brian going pro
00:31:45 The return of iconic spots
00:36:32 Getting hooked up by New Balance
00:42:25 The DC tour days
00:46:49 Jack on Fallen Footwear
00:54:07 Jamie Thomas has Jack's back
00:55:41 Zero x DGK fresh til death tour
00:56:20 Jack going to japan with FTC
01:05:29 Tampa contests
01:06:18 Jack barfing up burgers that Lutzka bought him
01:12:31 Kelly "the man skater" Hart
01:19:36 Jack getting on Lucky Skateboards
01:26:31 Brian in the Raw video
01:32:03 Basmati Brian
01:34:54 Brian plays the sax
01:36:42 How did Brian find skateboarding
01:41:25 Kelly immortalized
01:47:10 The NB we got now commercial with Jack

I’m assuming this means there’s a Jackson Curtin episode?

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #2789 on: March 22, 2024, 03:09:57 PM »
Just finished the Chico episode, really good. I like when skateboarders talk candidly. I also think the show isn't that bad. I took a break for a few years and all the episodes I've heard so far are great. But I also pick and choose what guests I want to listen to.