Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 364371 times)

fernando the skater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 120
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #1860 on: August 21, 2023, 12:08:00 PM »
That was a good way to pass 4 hours. One of the better recent episodes.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #1861 on: August 21, 2023, 02:43:18 PM »
Great episode

but

I have to point out how they complain that anyone can start a board brand and that its saturated, but then go on to say how skaters don't need their sponsors and can just start their own thing. Isn't that sort of whats happening? Why everything is so saturated?

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

overwaxed

• Rep: 92
« Reply #1862 on: August 21, 2023, 02:53:23 PM »
I’m surprised it hasn’t been brought up yet, but the incident with Ricky Oyola was very disappointing for me to here about. EE3 and his part in 7 year glitch were huge for me and still inform my skateboarding to this day. It makes a lot of sense looking at his career that he had some enemies, but it’s really sad that he acted that way. I just wonder if it’s ever really been addressed or even mentioned before this - it would be great if he took responsibility for it.

D10S

• Rep: -58
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #1863 on: August 21, 2023, 03:14:54 PM »
I’m surprised it hasn’t been brought up yet, but the incident with Ricky Oyola was very disappointing for me to here about. EE3 and his part in 7 year glitch were huge for me and still inform my skateboarding to this day. It makes a lot of sense looking at his career that he had some enemies, but it’s really sad that he acted that way. I just wonder if it’s ever really been addressed or even mentioned before this - it would be great if he took responsibility for it.

I'd heard about this, what was totally new was the fact that Rick was staying at Ron Allen's when this happened...WTF

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
« Reply #1864 on: August 21, 2023, 03:46:21 PM »
Ricky had some issues with Stevie as well didn't he?
The more I learn about that dude the lesser I can stand him.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #1865 on: August 21, 2023, 03:51:18 PM »
Clyde put it lightly if there’s even a way to do that because Ricky would use the N word as his fuck. Like when you get pissed you can’t land a trick and yell out fuck he would yell out that word. But because it was San Francisco they didn’t let him get away with it they beat his racist ass.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #1866 on: August 21, 2023, 05:01:21 PM »
First episode of Nine Club I’ve fully dug in a while; Clyde is just an entertaining dude and an exceptional story teller. I dug the Patrick O Dell episode too but that one had a lot more boring moments than this one, this one was interesting pretty much all throughout.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3365
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #1867 on: August 21, 2023, 06:05:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was just watching Christopher Roberts fake sky dive.
Sometimes that mofo is attractive AF. He's kinda got an old timey like Frank Sinatra vibe.

I just found myself thinking man I hope he gets a boner in there. I wanna sneak a peek at that boy.
[close]

I’d gnar if I could.
[close]

"Chris Throberts"
[close]
The 9 incher club

I might finally tune in were this the case.

Troubadour26

• Rep: 91
« Reply #1868 on: August 21, 2023, 07:09:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Holy fuck the Seinfeld-esque gem spotted in the O’Dell episode is golden, that was cool that it was able to conjure the stolen Half Cab anecdote though

It does seem like when there are guests whose intelligence and introspection become washed over by thr Nine Clubs own possibly anxiety of wanting to keep the conversation flowing

I just feel like certain guests could inspire a different treatment than the typical interview formula that’s developed within the show

Another side note since I have watched most of the new episode…

It was very cool to hear Fayetteville, North Carolina shouted out on the podcast by Patrick Praman

I live in Southern Pines, North Carolina which is around 30-45 minutes west of Fayetteville

not much to note of in terms of professional skateboarding around here so anywhere near that receives an ounce of recognition is always exciting

Stoked for the New Balance demo in Charlotte Saturday

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Andrew Reynolds in person before haha

& Brandon Westgate will forever be one of the greatest in my eyes
[close]

The demo was fucking great! Pretty much all killed it. Brian Reid is the fucking real deal. And it was crazy good how consistent Foy and Colbourn are. I hope they do a proper thrasher edit. They were skating all over the city.

Stoked for Clyde tomorrow

Saturday was so fucking rad.

First person I saw after I ran up a quarter pipe was Andrew Reynolds doing an axle stall in front of me.

Westgate killed it. His 360° flip and varial heel over the bump to bar were insane.

Jake Hayes’ bigspin was nuts.

Dustin Henry’s nollie heelflip was completely perfect.

Had the time of my life.

Great episode too, watching it right now

augor

• Rep: -25
« Reply #1869 on: August 21, 2023, 07:29:30 PM »
When Clyde said he didn't want to be the guy at the contest standing around in a Diamond jacket, you can tell that hit Jeron pretty hard. He mentions this around the 2:50:00 mark

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #1870 on: August 21, 2023, 07:48:41 PM »
When Clyde said he didn't want to be the guy at the contest standing around in a Diamond jacket, you can tell that hit Jeron pretty hard. He mentions this around the 2:50:00 mark

Its funny because you know that was the first thing that came to Singleton's mind

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Troubadour26

• Rep: 91
« Reply #1871 on: August 21, 2023, 07:56:10 PM »
listening to Clyde’s history in Asheville now, this is so awesome to hear

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 797
« Reply #1872 on: August 21, 2023, 08:02:15 PM »
Clyde's got the gift of gab. Good stuff.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1873 on: August 21, 2023, 09:42:39 PM »
does anyone know what the berra thing was he referenced? it was during the ricky emb part & he said he had fucked up so it seemed like he was referencing something else racist that happened. the only story i vaguely remember was berra fighting someone at a contest in the 90s but, my memory of that is he was defending his friend for something racist someone else said?

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #1874 on: August 21, 2023, 09:46:13 PM »
More SLAP talk at 4:26:04

Crob should be pleased there’s no longer “threads galore” about the show, as he puts it - it’s all been consolidated to just this one now.  Love how they talk so much shit about this forum when they know they’d be even more salty if no one discussed their show here at all.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1181
  • old and in the way
« Reply #1875 on: August 22, 2023, 12:02:11 AM »
15 year old Clyde doing the John Montessi impression on the phone to get free Vision product story was incredible.

Marv

• Rep: 101
« Reply #1876 on: August 22, 2023, 12:50:01 AM »
does anyone know what the berra thing was he referenced? it was during the ricky emb part & he said he had fucked up so it seemed like he was referencing something else racist that happened. the only story i vaguely remember was berra fighting someone at a contest in the 90s but, my memory of that is he was defending his friend for something racist someone else said?

It was an old World tour I think. Berra and Jovontae weren’t getting along. In a hotel room Berra said to Jovontae “cool black guy” or something similar. Jovontae hit Berra, then Berra left the tour. This is just what I remember reading somewhere so I might be wrong about some things.

Edit- Found it. Scroll way down:

https://chromeballincident.blogspot.com/2013/11/postscript-jovontae-turner.html?m=1

OwlGreen

• Rep: -128
« Reply #1877 on: August 22, 2023, 03:17:44 AM »
I don't find it very aesthetically pleasing the way everybody mispronounces "aesthetics".
If Clyde replaced Crob and everything else stayed the same, 9club would be the fucking best.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 120
« Reply #1878 on: August 22, 2023, 03:37:52 AM »
15 year old Clyde doing the John Montessi impression on the phone to get free Vision product story was incredible.

And then Gator appearing on television. Damn.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 804
« Reply #1879 on: August 22, 2023, 03:55:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I remember seeing that “A Current Affair” episode when it aired.  I think it was Bill O Reilly that was the host he was talking about, not the guy from TMZ
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -527
« Reply #1880 on: August 22, 2023, 07:04:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It was an old World tour I think. Berra and Jovontae weren’t getting along. In a hotel room Berra said to Jovontae “cool black guy” or something similar. Jovontae hit Berra, then Berra left the tour. This is just what I remember reading somewhere so I might be wrong about some things.

Edit- Found it. Scroll way down:

https://chromeballincident.blogspot.com/2013/11/postscript-jovontae-turner.html?m=1

Sounds like Kareem said Jovontae called Steve a “white asshole” before that for context. 

Jovontae put sugar in the gas tank of the team van lol

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1881 on: August 22, 2023, 07:25:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Clyde put it lightly if there’s even a way to do that because Ricky would use the N word as his fuck. Like when you get pissed you can’t land a trick and yell out fuck he would yell out that word. But because it was San Francisco they didn’t let him get away with it they beat his racist ass.

I remember in the early 90s when skating became very shock/fuck it and people I knew or skated in the same circles as would say and do things that would be outlandish and even yelled the same word as if it were a cuss word. It was a strange time as rap
Music was becoming more prolific and as a suburban white kid I want to say that they may have just been very ignorant(or so I hope)and just yelling profanities in general and there was zero instances of anyone checking them or even self awareness that saying those words was racism. 1990-92 was a strange time, I do remember feeling so uncomfortable when people would just yell things out.I shouldn’t assume anything but I always hoped for more ignorance and less blatant hate.

ThomasShitt

« Reply #1882 on: August 22, 2023, 08:22:41 AM »
easily the best episode they’ve done in a long time. Clyde’s cool as fuck. lookin forward to the aesthetics reboot.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #1883 on: August 22, 2023, 08:43:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I remember in the early 90s when skating became very shock/fuck it and people I knew or skated in the same circles as would say and do things that would be outlandish and even yelled the same word as if it were a cuss word. It was a strange time as rap
Music was becoming more prolific and as a suburban white kid I want to say that they may have just been very ignorant(or so I hope)and just yelling profanities in general and there was zero instances of anyone checking them or even self awareness that saying those words was racism. 1990-92 was a strange time, I do remember feeling so uncomfortable when people would just yell things out.I shouldn’t assume anything but I always hoped for more ignorance and less blatant hate.

I started skating in the 90s in the bay area, most of the people i skated with werent black and as a black kid i never let that shit fly from anyone saying the n word…quoting hip hop or not i would get into arguments and fights with people especially during high school.  Even to this day i still cant help but cringe when anyone uses it

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #1884 on: August 22, 2023, 08:55:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I remember seeing that “A Current Affair” episode when it aired.  I think it was Bill O Reilly that was the host he was talking about, not the guy from TMZ

I also remember all of this stuff from the time. My mom watched those programs and I think she even recorded it on tape for my brother and me.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

CocoSantiagosKitten

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1885 on: August 22, 2023, 08:57:45 AM »

Crob should be pleased there’s no longer “threads galore” about the show, as he puts it - it’s all been consolidated to just this one now.  Love how they talk so much shit about this forum when they know they’d be even more salty if no one discussed their show here at all.
"The show that has skaters talking and gets mad when skaters talk about it"

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #1886 on: August 22, 2023, 09:30:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
"The show that has skaters talking and gets mad when skaters talk about it"

When they say "skaters talking", what they mean is professional or adjacent skaters who have passed through the appropriate gatekeeping mechanisms. The people who consume the media and products are supposed to shut up and listen to them.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

D10S

• Rep: -58
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #1887 on: August 22, 2023, 11:20:15 AM »
crazy to think what could have been Clyde's pro career had he been sober all along...

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #1888 on: August 22, 2023, 12:20:53 PM »
crazy to think what could have been Clyde's pro career had he been sober all along...

The head injuries in Europe alone could have been avoided. Crazy how alcohol can really put you in some of the worst situations

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1889 on: August 22, 2023, 01:07:35 PM »
Flying overseas with a split open skull and a baby crying next to you sounds like literal hell
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here