Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 364389 times)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1972
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #2430 on: February 01, 2024, 06:59:11 AM »
me watching the Nine Club Experience Live

Haze

« Reply #2431 on: February 01, 2024, 07:34:13 AM »
In my dark ass scenario they’re all fucked up off everclear by the middle of the show where it’s just dead air and cameras rolling.

(Except Jeron, who I love <3)

rkulla, can you donate $1000000 on live-stream and ask drunk Kelly to piss his pants on cam for everyone?

“Im fuckin pissing myself, dudes!! Hahaha!!”

citycity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -103
« Reply #2432 on: February 01, 2024, 07:45:22 AM »
I like the show a lot in all its forms. Just think it was embarrassing to see them get real odd when they drink. I like drinking! The x mas ep where they drank was fun! But this was kinda not too enjoyable.

rkulla

« Reply #2433 on: February 01, 2024, 07:59:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Are most of you skaters or life coaches?  ::)
[close]

dawg you of all people need to get your ass to a life coach. that would be a far better use of your money

I'm poking fun at how so many online think of themselves as a guru. From Dyrdek and Mikey Taylor, to the low-rent anonymous versions punching up. Everyone seems to have everyone else's life figured out, yet few have their own.  I guess if we all would just take everyone _else's_ advice we'd all be enlightened by now :D

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #2434 on: February 01, 2024, 08:24:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

dawg you of all people need to get your ass to a life coach. that would be a far better use of your money
[close]

I'm poking fun at how so many online think of themselves as a guru. From Dyrdek and Mikey Taylor, to the low-rent anonymous versions punching up. Everyone seems to have everyone else's life figured out, yet few have their own.  I guess if we all would just take everyone _else's_ advice we'd all be enlightened by now :D

The thing about Mikey Taylor I get, because he's petite bourgeois, very low-level rich and likely incredibly illiquid (one major downturn in the housing market and it's gone), so he has to keep the hustle up. But Drydek doing the "Life Hacking" bullshit shows how deep the rot goes into the brains of rich people, because he is easily worth $100m and unless he invested everything in shitcoins, his wealth is secured for generations, yet he still had to inflict his personality on us like every other rich dullard who has washed ashore post-Musk. It's not enough to be fabulously wealthy; you must also be constantly validated by strangers on the internet.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #2435 on: February 01, 2024, 08:53:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The thing about Mikey Taylor I get, because he's petite bourgeois, very low-level rich and likely incredibly illiquid (one major downturn in the housing market and it's gone), so he has to keep the hustle up. But Drydek doing the "Life Hacking" bullshit shows how deep the rot goes into the brains of rich people, because he is easily worth $100m and unless he invested everything in shitcoins, his wealth is secured for generations, yet he still had to inflict his personality on us like every other rich dullard who has washed ashore post-Musk. It's not enough to be fabulously wealthy; you must also be constantly validated by strangers on the internet.

I work in construction in the bay area (SJ-Palo Alto), and I've been lucky enough over the last 15yrs to have work with some of the uber rich people who live here.   Its likely due to having that much financial security that you think you know financial literacy better than most people...its the same shit I see with Gym/ workout people (Brogan/ Neen) who harp on about dieting and exercising for the general public. 

A few of my clients told me they get asked to do lectures all the time at stanford business school too

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2436 on: February 01, 2024, 09:16:34 AM »
What do Dyrdek or Mikey Taylor have to do with any of this?  Critical thinking and discussion don’t equate to giving life advice.  We’re just fans of the show who want to talk about it.  Why do you even come on here?

rkulla

« Reply #2437 on: February 01, 2024, 09:28:42 AM »
What do Dyrdek or Mikey Taylor have to do with any of this?  Critical thinking and discussion don’t equate to giving life advice.  We’re just fans of the show who want to talk about it.  Why do you even come on here?

I come here sometimes because it's a thread about my favorite show. Same reason I read some of the comments on youtube and their IG posts, and their discord, etc.  I disagree that it's all just "critical thinking and discussion" and that you're all just fans of the show. You make it sound so innocent and wholesome, which is kinda laughable based on half the posts in the thread I've read. Even if you're not the one doing it, be real.

Also there's a huge "if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen" of people getting super offended about anyone saying anything bad about SLAP, when they're non-stop knocking almost everything the nine club does. Either way, I'm here for it.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2438 on: February 01, 2024, 09:40:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I come here sometimes because it's a thread about my favorite show. Same reason I read some of the comments on youtube and their IG posts, and their discord, etc.  I disagree that it's all just "critical thinking and discussion" and that you're all just fans of the show. You make it sound so innocent and wholesome, which is kinda laughable based on half the posts in the thread I've read. Even if you're not the one doing it, be real.

Also there's a huge "if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen" of people getting super offended about anyone saying anything bad about SLAP, when they're non-stop knocking almost everything the nine club does. Either way, I'm here for it.

I feel like you're just sensitive/defensive because of all your conspicuous, unyielding support for the show.  Sometimes the only novel things to discuss are its negative aspects – and the show has objectively had some less than great moments – not all the criticism on here is constructive but a massive amount of it can be taken as such.  You'll also find tons of positive posts too, but you criticising the anonymous "low-rent" makeup of the board isn't a good look.  I think you're sorely underestimating the quality of people commenting here.  But it also seems like feeling "above the fray" is sort of your default so, if you're open to coaching, that's one thing you could possibly introspect on.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2439 on: February 01, 2024, 10:02:47 AM »
- I DO think you like to twist words to try to cause false controversies, like you just tried to and I DO think that's not a good look

Am I twisting your words, or do you lack the self awareness to recognize what you’re saying?

rkulla

« Reply #2440 on: February 01, 2024, 10:04:23 AM »
Expand Quote
- I DO think you like to twist words to try to cause false controversies, like you just tried to and I DO think that's not a good look
[close]

Am I twisting your words, or do you lack the self awareness to recognize what you’re saying?

The former but you seem to defensive to listen to reason. Oh well. I tried.

busch

• Rep: 74
« Reply #2441 on: February 01, 2024, 11:01:52 AM »
This dude kinda sucks, you feel me?

manuduncan

• Rep: 28
« Reply #2442 on: February 01, 2024, 11:39:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
genuinely not trying to be a hater, but the show, and live show especially feels so formulaic and sorta forced nowadays. Feels like they all just show up every week because they’re used to doing a show and not because they actually care or are invested in skateboarding anymore. Chris even alluded to wanting to escape being tied to skateboarding in a recent episode, like he’s pigeonholed or something.

Also the mental gymnastics they’re pulling on that recent show to somehow differentiate themselves from skate YouTubers or whatever is baffling. They really put themselves on this pedestal because they were pro at one point and have industry access, but they’re dropping shocked face thumbnails and clickbait titles on their videos. I don’t like the hypocrisy and lately I’ve just been getting a vibe that these dudes are a representation of the clicky, elitist side of the industry that you always hear about. Feels like the mask is coming off a bit.
[close]
I am intrigued now. And not shooting your thoughts down in any way. I’m here for the convo.

Do you remember exactly on what episode they were differentiating from skate YouTubers? Curious to listen to the nuance in what they said, because they made an effort to have their backs on Ben D’s episode by even referring to them as “skaters that YouTube”.

And it always seems that they 100% support skaters looking for alternative incomes streams other than pro skating.

It wouldn’t fit into their MO if they were all of a sudden saying in some way that they’re better than any skateboarder that YouTube’s.

(Yes I know you got a channel, been watching since you had less than 1000 subs, when you made a review on the x97’s vs the Dragons… and it straight up made me go buy x97’s the next day. Just didn’t want to seem like I was being combative in my comments :D )
[close]

I think it was the last live episode that was like 4 hours long,within the first 20 or so minutes, it wasn’t exactly what they said it was how they said it. Chris and Kelly were having a back and forth about YT and how they get recommended videos from random skate channels and the whole exchange just felt really dismissive and condescending. I also should state that I was a bit buzzed when I watched it so the possibility of me taking something out of context is entirely possible lol. I’ll revisit it and if I was just in my feelings over something minuscule I’ll modify my comment lol. Also really appreciate you watching my shit, man. I hope you liked the X97’s. I ended up swapping back to F4’s shortly after just out of preference but I still recommend those wheels to people looking for a softer ride.

off topic but the x97s saved my knees and ankles i can skate for so much longer too with them because they're fast as hell and you don't have to push as much. they're not as fast as dragons but they dont get in the way of slides the way dragons do
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 11:47:16 AM by manuduncan »

Dad Board

« Reply #2443 on: February 01, 2024, 12:47:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
genuinely not trying to be a hater, but the show, and live show especially feels so formulaic and sorta forced nowadays. Feels like they all just show up every week because they’re used to doing a show and not because they actually care or are invested in skateboarding anymore. Chris even alluded to wanting to escape being tied to skateboarding in a recent episode, like he’s pigeonholed or something.

Also the mental gymnastics they’re pulling on that recent show to somehow differentiate themselves from skate YouTubers or whatever is baffling. They really put themselves on this pedestal because they were pro at one point and have industry access, but they’re dropping shocked face thumbnails and clickbait titles on their videos. I don’t like the hypocrisy and lately I’ve just been getting a vibe that these dudes are a representation of the clicky, elitist side of the industry that you always hear about. Feels like the mask is coming off a bit.
[close]
I am intrigued now. And not shooting your thoughts down in any way. I’m here for the convo.

Do you remember exactly on what episode they were differentiating from skate YouTubers? Curious to listen to the nuance in what they said, because they made an effort to have their backs on Ben D’s episode by even referring to them as “skaters that YouTube”.

And it always seems that they 100% support skaters looking for alternative incomes streams other than pro skating.

It wouldn’t fit into their MO if they were all of a sudden saying in some way that they’re better than any skateboarder that YouTube’s.

(Yes I know you got a channel, been watching since you had less than 1000 subs, when you made a review on the x97’s vs the Dragons… and it straight up made me go buy x97’s the next day. Just didn’t want to seem like I was being combative in my comments :D )
[close]

I think it was the last live episode that was like 4 hours long,within the first 20 or so minutes, it wasn’t exactly what they said it was how they said it. Chris and Kelly were having a back and forth about YT and how they get recommended videos from random skate channels and the whole exchange just felt really dismissive and condescending. I also should state that I was a bit buzzed when I watched it so the possibility of me taking something out of context is entirely possible lol. I’ll revisit it and if I was just in my feelings over something minuscule I’ll modify my comment lol. Also really appreciate you watching my shit, man. I hope you liked the X97’s. I ended up swapping back to F4’s shortly after just out of preference but I still recommend those wheels to people looking for a softer ride.
[close]

off topic but the x97s saved my knees and ankles i can skate for so much longer too with them because they're fast as hell and you don't have to push as much. they're not as fast as dragons but they dont get in the way of slides the way dragons do

I was actually considering throwing them back on specifically for a session at a notoriously slippery skatepark later. It’s been really rainy and the park gets even sketchier since there’s a large opening allowing rain and moisture to get in on some of the park but people track water all over the skatelite and smooth ground. I’m a spitfire loyalist for the most part but I’m also not trying to skate on an ice rink

*edit - threw on the x97’s for about 10 minutes and did not like them at all. Found a little kid with shitty wheels and gave them away. F4 is still king.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 08:48:25 PM by Dad Board »

mikevsleftlightningtat

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2444 on: February 01, 2024, 03:46:39 PM »
Gary insisting over and over his weird cameo was in og BHADW was infuriating

Oh yeahhhhhhh!

• Rep: 28
« Reply #2445 on: February 01, 2024, 07:06:08 PM »
I really don’t like the cut of Rkulla’s jib. I get the feeling any opinion the guy has about skating is informed by the Nine club. Hate to break it to him, but they only like and shout him out because he donates a lot of money to the show. Peeped the dudes IG and it’s like a virtual shrine to those guys. Wouldn’t be surprised if he went all Mark David Chapman on Crob if he ever stops doing the show.

Rkulla consuming all Nine Club content

texastoast

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2446 on: February 01, 2024, 09:53:18 PM »
crob should run an of and see if rkulla’s loyalty would run that deep

rkulla

« Reply #2447 on: February 02, 2024, 06:38:12 AM »
[PAUSE] Am I like supposed to feel bad about being loyal, supportive to the point of putting my money where my mouth is, willing to interact with people I disagree with and even call them on their BS, non-anonymously to boot?

I was hoping this community would actually be able to take a little criticism and discuss it intelligently rather than the usual boring internet troll-like responses that most of the skate industry criticizes SLAP for but clearly I was wrong.  As you were.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 406
« Reply #2448 on: February 02, 2024, 07:35:51 AM »
[PAUSE] Am I like supposed to feel bad about being loyal, supportive to the point of putting my money where my mouth is, willing to interact with people I disagree with and even call them on their BS, non-anonymously to boot?

I was hoping this community would actually be able to take a little criticism and discuss it intelligently rather than the usual boring internet troll-like responses that most of the skate industry criticizes SLAP for but clearly I was wrong.  As you were.

The irony.

There are plenty of people in this 80+ page thread discussing the actual issues with the show but you clearly are going to ignore those and just conveniently note the "boring internet troll-like responses".

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2449 on: February 02, 2024, 07:36:37 AM »

idk man, it kinda sounds like you wandered away from an echo chamber and you're surprised that people have something to say about a thing that you really like. It's fine if you disagree with a lot of the opinions in here, but it's pretty childish to call people trolls and "gurus" because of it.

rkulla

« Reply #2450 on: February 02, 2024, 07:55:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

idk man, it kinda sounds like you wandered away from an echo chamber and you're surprised that people have something to say about a thing that you really like. It's fine if you disagree with a lot of the opinions in here, but it's pretty childish to call people trolls and "gurus" because of it.
[close]

I've been reading this SLAP thread for what, a year, and you think I'm in an echo chamber?  People are flat out being childish trolls and telling people how to run their lives, and when I say as much _I'm_ the childish one?  People here claim they want to show to do better, I want slap to do better and everyone has a big problem with that. Pretty silly if you ask me.  Talk about an echo chamber...

Furthermore, I'll repeat myself about how I don't care about the valid criticism. I see those comments on their youtube, discord, etc as well and don't take issue with them. Everyone is entitled to those opinions and once in a while I even agree with some of them.  I've even gone as far as going on a podcast and defending seemingly "haters" for being just as valid sometimes in their criticism and passion for caring about the a show.

Sadly everything degrades to ad-hominem for the sake of entertainment online. I can't do anything about that, apparently no one can or it would have happened by now.

I've said all I could possibly ever want to say about this. Believe what you will.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1158
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2451 on: February 02, 2024, 08:41:34 AM »
Rkulla is clearly a typo of “krulla”, an authentically Boston pronunciation and misspelling of cruller. We also know, Roger bagley, a Boston native, has espoused his affection for dunkin donuts and specifically their crullers multiple times….

Furthermore, if you add up rkullas rep and posts, you get -12. Then, after subtracting eldy, steezus, and roger, the former on screen hosts of the nine club shows, you get -9, as in the 9 club…

Rkulla = Roger bagley???? Psyop confirmed.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #2452 on: February 02, 2024, 08:41:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I've been reading this SLAP thread for what, a year, and you think I'm in an echo chamber?  People are flat out being childish trolls and telling people how to run their lives, and when I say as much _I'm_ the childish one?  People here claim they want to show to do better, I want slap to do better and everyone has a big problem with that. Pretty silly if you ask me.  Talk about an echo chamber...

Big ask there. This place has been a cesspool for years. Thats why I love it here. I post some room temperature takes, people tell me I'm a fucking idiot, then I just keep going on about life.

I suggest the gear threads if you want useful, passionate conversations in this space.

EDIT: to say that there are industry people here on the boards and they are almost all revered here once they embrace what this place is.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2453 on: February 02, 2024, 09:00:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Furthermore, I'll repeat myself about how I don't care about the valid criticism. I see those comments on their youtube, discord, etc as well and don't take issue with them. Everyone is entitled to those opinions and once in a while I even agree with some of them.  I've even gone as far as going on a podcast and defending seemingly "haters" for being just as valid sometimes in their criticism and passion for caring about the a show.

Sadly everything degrades to ad-hominem for the sake of entertainment online. I can't do anything about that, apparently no one can or it would have happened by now.

I've said all I could possibly ever want to say about this. Believe what you will.

There were a lot of valid criticisms being made that prompted you to respond about "life gurus". Even the people responding to you since have been pretty tame as far as the internet goes. You haven't acknowledged a single actual point and just keep insisting that everyone's a troll. That would be like me reducing the Nine Club's community to all of the unchecked transphobic dickheads on Marbie's comment section, or the people applauding Jason Jesse for discussing being a washed up Nazi. It's a broad brush to paint with and an immature way to look at the world.

rkulla

« Reply #2454 on: February 02, 2024, 09:14:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

There were a lot of valid criticisms being made that prompted you to respond about "life gurus". Even the people responding to you since have been pretty tame as far as the internet goes. You haven't acknowledged a single actual point and just keep insisting that everyone's a troll. That would be like me reducing the Nine Club's community to all of the unchecked transphobic dickheads on Marbie's comment section, or the people applauding Jason Jesse for discussing being a washed up Nazi. It's a broad brush to paint with and an immature way to look at the world.

You _must_ be referring to how I didn't single any specific person out, but I don't think you're even reading the full thread, since you said I called "everyone" a troll, when i consistently used wording much differently than "everyone", and the mere fact that _some_ people are literally trolling me in between each response.

You're also cherrypicking and doing everything you claim I am. Not a single response about how I've defended healthy criticism.  I'm going with the other guy who just said this place is a cesspool because I've already put enough effort into trying to have a better discussion.  The only thing I'm guilty of is I shouldn't have worded it as "are you guys skaters or life coaches?" but again, I have to point out the irony that you can dish it out all day but can't take even an ounce back.

I've truly exhausted all I could say about this. See my previous posts for any further clarification. Going back to occasional read-only mode and won't bother pointing out the obvious hypocrisies I notice since it accomplishes nothing but a waste of typing.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2455 on: February 02, 2024, 09:18:37 AM »
I don't know a nice way to tell you this, but no one should care this much about the Nine Club.

rkulla

« Reply #2456 on: February 02, 2024, 09:25:21 AM »
I don't know a nice way to tell you this, but no one should care this much about the Nine Club.

If you like, actually knew me, you'd know I almost certainly support at least something you like. Won't bother to list it since I'm not a brand or trying to self-promote, which freed me up to have a pretty honest dialog but as usual everyone on the internet is an expert about someone else.  Just proving my point ad nauseam. Forgive me for not responding beyond this point to anyone, even if you have some valid things to say.  Again, read above if you actually care about what was said. ^

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2457 on: February 02, 2024, 09:27:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you like, actually knew me, you'd know I almost certainly support at least something you like. Won't bother to list it since I'm not a brand or trying to self-promote, which freed me up to have a pretty honest dialog but as usual everyone on the internet is an expert about someone else.  Just proving my point ad nauseam. Forgive me for not responding beyond this point to anyone, even if you have some valid things to say.  Again, read above if you actually care about what was said. ^

That doesn't really address the issue of having this much passion for something as banal as the friendly skateboarding podcast.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2458 on: February 02, 2024, 09:28:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You _must_ be referring to how I didn't single any specific person out, but I don't think you're even reading the full thread, since you said I called "everyone" a troll, when i consistently used wording much differently than "everyone", and the mere fact that _some_ people are literally trolling me in between each response.

You're also cherrypicking and doing everything you claim I am. Not a single response about how I've defended healthy criticism.  I'm going with the other guy who just said this place is a cesspool because I've already put enough effort into trying to have a better discussion.  The only thing I'm guilty of is I shouldn't have worded it as "are you guys skaters or life coaches?" but again, I have to point out the irony that you can dish it out all day but can't take even an ounce back.

I've truly exhausted all I could say about this. See my previous posts for any further clarification. Going back to occasional read-only mode and won't bother pointing out the obvious hypocrisies I notice since it accomplishes nothing but a waste of typing.

It's not "irony", it's a bad point. I'm sorry that people are having an honest discussion and that this cesspool doesn't have a donation button to serve as a friendship simulator. 

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #2459 on: February 02, 2024, 09:34:04 AM »
Someone as skate nerdy as Tim Olson has to be on here somewhere. How are you doing 3 more hours a week and demonetizing the live just to play the music? That cant make financial sense. Did the show get a streaming deal? Bigger ad read payouts? Was this discussed? I don't religiously follow this thread or watch the lives, just curious?
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma