Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 364402 times)

Fongstarr.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #2700 on: March 13, 2024, 01:15:01 PM »
I thought the Lutzka one was fine. I did think they did sort of talk over each other but I also think Crob and Lutzka are just similar personalities in that way. I've seen it with Howard Stern where one can't let the other person talk cause they want to be the one to hold the narrative. I don't think it's anyone's fault but just bad pairing. There are a ton of podcasters that can't shut the fuck up when it is really their time to let the guest run their mouth.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

burntout

• Rep: -46
« Reply #2701 on: March 13, 2024, 02:43:47 PM »

Good thing he is not on the episodes anymore
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 11:22:25 PM by burntout »

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 782
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #2702 on: March 13, 2024, 11:36:22 PM »
Imagine paying rent to the fedora

It was fun hearing how he compartmentalizes his mass produced boards. The classic “someone’s gotta do it” rationale

His plugs for water were so lame. Bottled water has one of the highest markups. Alkaline water is pseudoscience marketing.

nothing's been the since same

thehogsniper

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2703 on: March 13, 2024, 11:55:44 PM »
seems pretty stupid to:
1. agree to a deal with a car company that you didn't respect/like
2. buy a Bentley with your proceeds when you have a free car that you are paid to drive
3. give said car to your friend (meaning you literally don't have possession of the several thousand dollars of product they gave you)
4. have a friend who goes through toll roads and not pay tolls

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #2704 on: March 15, 2024, 12:51:40 PM »
Halfway through the new Chico episode.  Chico is entertaining.  Imagine a world today with him on Powell

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -769
« Reply #2705 on: March 15, 2024, 01:28:44 PM »
Where you seeing that ? Patreon?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2706 on: March 15, 2024, 01:36:14 PM »
Halfway through the new Chico episode.  Chico is entertaining.  Imagine a world today with him on Powell

Can you copy and paste the time stamps?
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

rkulla

« Reply #2707 on: March 15, 2024, 01:41:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Timestamps
00:00:00 Chico Brenes
00:04:45 Lil' Cheeks crossing the boarder into the US
00:20:04 Bmx'ing and being introduced to skateboarding
00:23:53 Chico's first SF homie
00:28:18 Going to EMB for the first time
00:30:43 How he went from Rolando to Chico
00:40:22 How Chico got on World Industries
00:43:20 Schnurrballs antics
00:46:09 The Love Child video
00:48:37 Going pro for World Industries
01:00:43 The beginning of Girl and Chocolate
01:03:33 Getting on Chocolate
01:05:37 His appendix bursting
01:12:17 The Chocolate Las Nueve Vidas De Paco video
01:15:41 Leaving Chocolate
01:18:14 Riding the big boards after knee surgery
01:27:07 Why Chico left Chocolate
01:41:53 Chico Stix!
01:44:19 Chico's current relationship with Crailtap
01:59:20 Central Skateshop
02:08:42 Chico's DVS shoe
02:10:46 LRG
02:12:35 Betting on tricks
02:18:31 Touring
02:22:42 Getting into cycling after his knee injury
02:28:30 Chico Stix x Factor Bikes collab
02:32:29 Chico the bike racer
02:46:34 Animal Thug
02:48:26 Bedtime

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
« Reply #2708 on: March 15, 2024, 01:56:23 PM »
The lutzka interview is not bad. I thought he was way older than me. It's weird when you're in high school and you see a dude in almost round 3 you just assume that they're a full grown adult.

He was really cagey on that how he got into walmart, but it sounds like he did it the traditional way, which was going to the toy fair, booking 1 on 1's with reps, and doing their pitch. Like he said, buyers don't know shit about skateboarding, so it's all about convincing them they offer a value not met (quality, price, trick tips & fingerboard).

he also makes a harely exhuast that makes your bike louder,

zapruder

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2709 on: March 15, 2024, 04:25:39 PM »
anyone else weirded out by Lutzka shouting out his "good friend" Steve Mateus multiple times? just me?

status

• Rep: -12
« Reply #2710 on: March 15, 2024, 07:32:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Crob seems to be increasingly on-edge.
[close]
it’s even worse on the live episodes. especially the one with andy anderson

was waiting to see this. SUPER uncomfortable to watch. I usually dont mind crob either. In his defense though, andy was getting kinda annoying during the last hour of the show. poor kelly had to keep jumping in to save the show lmao.

chris also seems to be throwing the team under the bus a bit? when they switched the live back to 1 day/wk, he mentioned that "he" didn't mind 2 days/wk. like he was all for it but nobody else wanted it. when they announced 2 days for the live show, i was shocked bc there's no chance in hell i'd wanna commit to that.

also acts like he's doing all the work, which i assume he does a lot, but it's almost overkill now. i'm getting bored of him replaying skate parts/tricks too, if they cut down the replays and overanalysis of skate parts for SOTY, the live show could be an hour shorter. it's getting repetitive and becoming content overload. kelly and jeron need to be there because they provide more substance that's chill and to the point.

he's starting to take it way too seriously, and it shows on camera. whole crew gonna be on the path to burnout if they aren't already. if this is his full time gig, he's gotta find a better way to scale. i'm a fan of the show btw. haters can come for me if they want.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -496
« Reply #2711 on: March 15, 2024, 08:18:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

was waiting to see this. SUPER uncomfortable to watch. I usually dont mind crob either. In his defense though, andy was getting kinda annoying during the last hour of the show. poor kelly had to keep jumping in to save the show lmao.

chris also seems to be throwing the team under the bus a bit? when they switched the live back to 1 day/wk, he mentioned that "he" didn't mind 2 days/wk. like he was all for it but nobody else wanted it. when they announced 2 days for the live show, i was shocked bc there's no chance in hell i'd wanna commit to that.

also acts like he's doing all the work, which i assume he does a lot, but it's almost overkill now. i'm getting bored of him replaying skate parts/tricks too, if they cut down the replays and overanalysis of skate parts for SOTY, the live show could be an hour shorter. it's getting repetitive and becoming content overload. kelly and jeron need to be there because they provide more substance that's chill and to the point.

he's starting to take it way too seriously, and it shows on camera. whole crew gonna be on the path to burnout if they aren't already. if this is his full time gig, he's gotta find a better way to scale. i'm a fan of the show btw. haters can come for me if they want.

Nah you’re spot on. It’s pretty obvious Crob is frustrated with the work load to pay off he’s received ,having pretty much plateaued in terms of subscriber growth. I don’t blame him but he’s also very desperate for that YouTuber life and I think it’s starting to turn off viewers. I’ve said before he’s just not compelling enough to be a big YouTuber but now the disconnect between him and the kids is much larger than it was 8 years ago when they started.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

LUGR

• Rep: 51
« Reply #2712 on: March 15, 2024, 10:21:29 PM »
he also makes a harely exhuast that makes your bike louder,

He also shoots guns quietly.

status

« Reply #2713 on: March 15, 2024, 11:13:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Nah you’re spot on. It’s pretty obvious Crob is frustrated with the work load to pay off he’s received ,having pretty much plateaued in terms of subscriber growth. I don’t blame him but he’s also very desperate for that YouTuber life and I think it’s starting to turn off viewers. I’ve said before he’s just not compelling enough to be a big YouTuber but now the disconnect between him and the kids is much larger than it was 8 years ago when they started.

yep 100%. it's not easy to make solid $ on YT and I've appreciated what he/TNC do for skateboarding. it's actually insane how much of an operation they have running and how consistent they are. it's high quality and consistent. when they take one week off a year, i'm like hell, take 2, you earned it!!! it's gotta be exhausting to churn out the regular show along with the lives that consistently for so many years.

but i think they've reached a growth cap. skateboarding is so niche, unless there's a major boom in the industry, their channel growth is probably at a plateau. it even feels like crob's trying force taglines vs. letting them come naturally: "wipe your mouth" (still don't get that one) and the rog soundbite saying "i love 69" is getting SO OLD and forced.

i'm no expert but IMO, they could scale the platform/channel they already have by creating a network of other skaters who want to create their own shows. kinda like how thrasher posts parts on their channel. i'm seeing a few pros starting to throw their hat in the ring by producing their own talk show type content. P-Rod, Mikey Taylor, etc. Whether the content is skate related or not, they're still skaters.

or would love to see content and interviews from local crews/shops. there's some sick local crews and videos out there who don't have a big enough platform to share their stuff. even if it's older vids. or honestly, i'd just love to hear what local shop skaters/owners have to say. doesn't need to be a full blown 2 hr. interview, just pop them in for a zoom segment on the live show for 15 min and vibe.

Crob and the team as it is right now just can't sustain this as it is. and i highly doubt they're getting a ton of money when you figure pay gets distributed between the 3 hosts, rog, guys behind the scenes and overhead costs.

also, the old merch was better. i actually bought a couple of the appleyard mugs they released years ago and still love 'em. i WANT to support them and buy their gear but the new merch designs are boring i just cant justify it.

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -37
« Reply #2714 on: March 16, 2024, 12:47:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Timestamps
00:00:00 Chico Brenes
00:04:45 Lil' Cheeks crossing the boarder into the US
00:20:04 Bmx'ing and being introduced to skateboarding
00:23:53 Chico's first SF homie
00:28:18 Going to EMB for the first time
00:30:43 How he went from Rolando to Chico
00:40:22 How Chico got on World Industries
00:43:20 Schnurrballs antics
00:46:09 The Love Child video
00:48:37 Going pro for World Industries
01:00:43 The beginning of Girl and Chocolate
01:03:33 Getting on Chocolate
01:05:37 His appendix bursting
01:12:17 The Chocolate Las Nueve Vidas De Paco video
01:15:41 Leaving Chocolate
01:18:14 Riding the big boards after knee surgery
01:27:07 Why Chico left Chocolate
01:41:53 Chico Stix!
01:44:19 Chico's current relationship with Crailtap
01:59:20 Central Skateshop
02:08:42 Chico's DVS shoe
02:10:46 LRG
02:12:35 Betting on tricks
02:18:31 Touring
02:22:42 Getting into cycling after his knee injury
02:28:30 Chico Stix x Factor Bikes collab
02:32:29 Chico the bike racer
02:46:34 Animal Thug
02:48:26 Bedtime

Normally try and wait till the podcast version drops just for commuting but this one I had to go in.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
  • sup dog
« Reply #2715 on: March 16, 2024, 06:12:59 AM »

I miss that affable silly-goose. He was a nice wild card, and I loved hearing him throw everyone else off: never knew what he’d say next. 
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1261
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2716 on: March 16, 2024, 06:59:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

absolutely agree with all of this and have noticed the same, thought i was tripping. to harp on the replay thing a bit, to you does it seem like it’s almost to get everyone to stop talking and look at the trick that’s being replayed because he thinks it’s impressive/wants to talk about it? that’s the vibe i get when he does that.

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #2717 on: March 16, 2024, 08:03:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I miss that affable silly-goose. He was a nice wild card, and I loved hearing him throw everyone else off: never knew what he’d say next.

I do miss Eldy being on the show. He was random but it was nice when he would very stupidly try and mix it up

Sometimes it feels like Kelly is the only one keeping in mind during the live show that there is an audience who listens instead of watching, but even that isnt enough. At least for when they review clips

Maybe they should just host a regular ass talk show outside of skate if they want a wider reach

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
  • sup dog
« Reply #2718 on: March 16, 2024, 09:45:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I do miss Eldy being on the show. He was random but it was nice when he would very stupidly try and mix it up

Sometimes it feels like Kelly is the only one keeping in mind during the live show that there is an audience who listens instead of watching, but even that isnt enough. At least for when they review clips

Maybe they should just host a regular ass talk show outside of skate if they want a wider reach
The live show is good background noise at work. It’s a nice reminder of what parts/vids to watch.

Also, what about Mike-to-the-world-but-he’s-just-Mikey-to-his-mom? I wouldn’t mind giving him a season of co-hosting.

Maybe the guest hosts and fil-ins are tryouts.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

InkkeACAB

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2719 on: March 16, 2024, 10:21:38 AM »
its really boring and pretty frustrating watching them watch back to back skate parts with them on mute

status

« Reply #2720 on: March 16, 2024, 12:06:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
absolutely agree with all of this and have noticed the same, thought i was tripping. to harp on the replay thing a bit, to you does it seem like it’s almost to get everyone to stop talking and look at the trick that’s being replayed because he thinks it’s impressive/wants to talk about it? that’s the vibe i get when he does that.

yeah i thought i was tripping too haha. i hate being a hater about it but had to get it off my chest. agree with the trick replay though. i'm cool watching replays of a good trick a couple times to discuss. but once it gets to like 10x of a trick replay on multiple tricks, i'm ready to move on with wrapping up the part.

Ty Evans Lightman

« Reply #2721 on: March 16, 2024, 02:48:22 PM »
Chico épisode is pretty damn good.
The Chico/crail break up talk is real. Even the Kelly/chico bit. No spoilers.

conan777

• Rep: -49
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2722 on: March 16, 2024, 06:47:00 PM »
I haven't listened to the nine club for ages and gave the Lutzka episode a listen on a long drive today. Chris was constantly interrupting him and it made it really annoying and hard to listen to. I'm guessing that's the norm now but it put a bad taste in my mouth. I'm definitely not in a rush to listen again unless its with a childhood fave but I listen to the bunt even if I've never heard of the guest
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 03:26:56 AM by conan777 »

Ty Evans Lightman

« Reply #2723 on: March 17, 2024, 03:06:17 AM »
To be honest, the chico episode is so much better because they all rode on teams together so know oneanother well so there's less rambling and interrupting.

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #2724 on: March 17, 2024, 03:39:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

yep 100%. it's not easy to make solid $ on YT and I've appreciated what he/TNC do for skateboarding. it's actually insane how much of an operation they have running and how consistent they are. it's high quality and consistent. when they take one week off a year, i'm like hell, take 2, you earned it!!! it's gotta be exhausting to churn out the regular show along with the lives that consistently for so many years.

but i think they've reached a growth cap. skateboarding is so niche, unless there's a major boom in the industry, their channel growth is probably at a plateau. it even feels like crob's trying force taglines vs. letting them come naturally: "wipe your mouth" (still don't get that one) and the rog soundbite saying "i love 69" is getting SO OLD and forced.

i'm no expert but IMO, they could scale the platform/channel they already have by creating a network of other skaters who want to create their own shows. kinda like how thrasher posts parts on their channel. i'm seeing a few pros starting to throw their hat in the ring by producing their own talk show type content. P-Rod, Mikey Taylor, etc. Whether the content is skate related or not, they're still skaters.

or would love to see content and interviews from local crews/shops. there's some sick local crews and videos out there who don't have a big enough platform to share their stuff. even if it's older vids. or honestly, i'd just love to hear what local shop skaters/owners have to say. doesn't need to be a full blown 2 hr. interview, just pop them in for a zoom segment on the live show for 15 min and vibe.

Crob and the team as it is right now just can't sustain this as it is. and i highly doubt they're getting a ton of money when you figure pay gets distributed between the 3 hosts, rog, guys behind the scenes and overhead costs.

also, the old merch was better. i actually bought a couple of the appleyard mugs they released years ago and still love 'em. i WANT to support them and buy their gear but the new merch designs are boring i just cant justify it.

I dont understand why they have constantly, for years, said shit like, 'we should go here and film something with this person' or 'go check out this place and talk to this person', which would be actual good and different content but instead we get 1 session at the curbs every 6 months.

Ty Evans Lightman

« Reply #2725 on: March 17, 2024, 05:19:26 AM »
Good points.

Crob has his spin off YouTube videos which are alright.

Quick 15 minute segments with Skateshops would work really well.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Free Max B
« Reply #2726 on: March 17, 2024, 05:34:02 AM »
Am I ultra regular or is the Chico episode not up right now? Most recent main upload is lutzka and a nineclun live video about sheckler leaving etnies.

O
Free max b
FREE MAX B

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #2727 on: March 17, 2024, 08:43:48 AM »
Am I ultra regular or is the Chico episode not up right now? Most recent main upload is lutzka and a nineclun live video about sheckler leaving etnies.

O
Free max b

im assuming members get it early or something

or that poster is just messing with us or something

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Ty Evans Lightman

« Reply #2728 on: March 17, 2024, 11:12:17 AM »
 :-*
Expand Quote

O
Free max b
[close]

im assuming members get it early or something

or that poster is just messing with us or something

When membership pays off

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -496
« Reply #2729 on: March 17, 2024, 11:31:02 AM »
Good points.

Crob has his spin off YouTube videos which are alright.

Quick 15 minute segments with Skateshops would work really well.

His spin off is a good starting point on that idea but so far it’s just crob skating the same westside spots. I’d love to see crob go to nyc and see the spots he says he could do tricks on . Or like a valley retrospective with jeron and oc spots with Kelly . A skaters in cars looking at spots type show would actually probably net them views.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.