Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 43196 times)

Atiba Applebum and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mr. Kamikazi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #2220 on: April 10, 2024, 05:07:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I genuinely can't tell if you're trolling with your posts in here. They read like one of those twitter accounts called @AEWIZGAY is whatever
[close]

Not at all. That’s not my intention. Listen, I watch it, I own many AEW figures (I’m a wrestling action figure collector) & know when it’s good. But resorting to nonsense like airing videos of fights & continuing to have a lack of storylines make it a very difficult product to enjoy. I still think of that leather face/TCS match which was embarrassing. Reminds me of the Demon garbage in WCW.  I’m a fan of almost 30 years. Do I like most Indy wrestling? No, it’s a bad circus to me. Can AEW be better? Yes. Why it’s not? I’m unsure. Lack of writers? Too many egos? Not sure.
[close]

Were you ever that harsh with WWE?   It was hot garbage for about 15 years and it wasn’t too long ago they did a zombie battle royale and Seth Rollins fake took Rey Misterio’s eye amongst many many other dumb decisions. 

The vid they’re showing is at least going to be presented as storyline and never would have been brought up if CM punk just kept his mouth shut

You bet! I stopped watching for awhile.

What possible storyline could come out of this? Oh great! Jack Perry is back?! Nothing special about him nor will this go on as a good storyline.

WPG

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2221 on: April 10, 2024, 06:24:09 PM »
Young Bucks and FTR did well for what it's worth.
Awful decision by TK to air that, I am also starting to think they need some new writers everything has been flat since the Sting retirement
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2222 on: April 10, 2024, 06:35:31 PM »
Awful decision by TK to air that, I am also starting to think they need some new writers everything has been flat since the Sting retirement

They needed new writers well before this nonsense.

WPG

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2223 on: April 10, 2024, 07:05:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, I was agreeing with your previous comment. Stings retirement has been the only thing of interest they have done recently, and it's not like someones retirement is a stroke of creative genius
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2224 on: April 10, 2024, 07:27:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yes, I was agreeing with your previous comment. Stings retirement has been the only thing of interest they have done recently, and it's not like someones retirement is a stroke of creative genius

Got it. Honestly, even the retirement storyline was lackluster. Sting was hardly a tag team guy. Besides his days with Dingo Warrior/blade runners & yes, he had tag partners like Luger, was a singles competitor. It just felt rushed & incomplete.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2225 on: April 10, 2024, 07:47:39 PM »
I’ll say this much about AEW. Every PPV they have, I think, “damn, they’re really making this card up as they go, huh?” and then every match rules. Even with the great stuff going on at WWE right now, I still find myself much more gripped watching a random AEW match top to bottom than most WWE matches. I don’t know if it’s the production or WWE’s terrible history of terrible people or what but something continues to grip me to AEW more than WWE usually.

That said, AEW is looking like a mess lately. I’ve always liked the indie vibe and freedom for wrestlers to do what they want, but every time a Saraya or an Adam Copeland or a Mercedes Mone debuts like they’re going to take the company up a notch, they never quite do. Maybe Toni Storm will. She rules.

I say this because I want AEW to last because I love it. And seeing people like Lance Archer or Britt Baker disappear for months at a time because Tony has too many people that he doesn’t know what to do with them sucks. And this desperate CM Punk footage release feels like AEW’s version of WCW spoiling Mankind’s world title win.

I think hiring a legit booker/writing team who has more time than Tony to dedicate to the show could work wonders.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2226 on: April 10, 2024, 08:12:33 PM »
I should say, as far as WWE defections go, Samoa Joe is kicking ass and Swerve is getting his due as a top tier dude.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #2227 on: April 10, 2024, 08:13:14 PM »
I’ll say this much about AEW. Every PPV they have, I think, “damn, they’re really making this card up as they go, huh?” and then every match rules. Even with the great stuff going on at WWE right now, I still find myself much more gripped watching a random AEW match top to bottom than most WWE matches. I don’t know if it’s the production or WWE’s terrible history of terrible people or what but something continues to grip me to AEW more than WWE usually.

That said, AEW is looking like a mess lately. I’ve always liked the indie vibe and freedom for wrestlers to do what they want, but every time a Saraya or an Adam Copeland or a Mercedes Mone debuts like they’re going to take the company up a notch, they never quite do. Maybe Toni Storm will. She rules.

I say this because I want AEW to last because I love it. And seeing people like Lance Archer or Britt Baker disappear for months at a time because Tony has too many people that he doesn’t know what to do with them sucks. And this desperate CM Punk footage release feels like AEW’s version of WCW spoiling Mankind’s world title win.

I think hiring a legit booker/writing team who has more time than Tony to dedicate to the show could work wonders.

I 100% agree - and that’s a good analogy, but I think Tony is someone that just kinda got sick of all the shots being taken at him the past week, so it doesn’t seem malicious, just someone who a little thin skinned and not knowing how to pay back well.   

The only thing I think really holding AEW back is not being on a streaming service and having their PPVs free on there.   Like you said, their PPVs always rule even if it feels like spaghetti on the wall.   The fed started its turn around with everything being on peacock.   I think when they can get that ease of viewership, they’ll maybe stop fighting so hard (or feeling like they are) to pop ratings

I’m personally an underdog guy so I’ve always hated Hunter, Shawn, and the Kliq.   They were bullies and Hunter ratted out Bret for the Screwjob, not to mention the bullshit with Chyna and Stephanie.   I just feel gross rooting for a guy like that, though NXT black and gold is what got me back into things.    Storytelling felt fresh when you only had an hour a week to fill

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2228 on: April 10, 2024, 08:42:21 PM »
I would absolutely jump on whatever streaming service AEW is on. I’ve been bootlegging their shit for years. Who even watches actual TV these days? Old people who don’t get what’s rad about AEW, that’s who.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2229 on: April 10, 2024, 09:06:32 PM »
I would absolutely jump on whatever streaming service AEW is on. I’ve been bootlegging their shit for years. Who even watches actual TV these days? Old people who don’t get what’s rad about AEW, that’s who.

WB has a stake in the company, supposedly.    Why they’ve been weird about putting it on Max is beyond me, but they have a TV deal coming up and I’m sure with Raw going to Netflix, there will be heavy interest.   That’s the one thing “no off-season” will really help. 

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2230 on: April 12, 2024, 08:30:19 AM »
AEW & their pay per views on multiple platforms would be a game changer. They need to get into the eyes of a more mainstream or simply put, new to wrestling audience.

Mone’s promo though. What the hell? Was so unnatural sounding & just bad. I’m only pointing this out since she is somehow viewed as this next level wrestler. As for the CM punk footage, he came out on top as he told the truth, Jack Perry continues to be in a self induced circus of himself & AEW just looks beyond desperate. I hope & pray MJF leaves.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2231 on: April 13, 2024, 06:37:08 AM »
 Last nights triple threat match with Ko/Styles & Mysterio was a masterpiece. Triple German suplex & styles clash from the top rope into a perfect roll up pin fall.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2232 on: April 13, 2024, 08:00:37 AM »
Saw an image of Smackdown last night and thought Andrade was getting involved with Heyman, but apparently Tama Tonga looks incredibly like him

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2233 on: April 13, 2024, 08:51:20 AM »
Saw an image of Smackdown last night and thought Andrade was getting involved with Heyman, but apparently Tama Tonga looks incredibly like him

Solo took over the bloodline. Jimmy is out.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2234 on: April 15, 2024, 04:11:29 AM »
Sheamus return tonight

Gable vs Zayne for the Intercontinental Championship

Andrade vs Dom Mysterio

Rhea Ripley vs Liv Morgan

Finn Balor vs Jey Uso

Pretty much a ripper right there.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2235 on: April 15, 2024, 05:50:01 PM »
Ripley relinquishes…..

Liv Morgan winning is an absolute joke as she is just not it. I’m really hoping Tiffany Stratton gets drafted & can win it. This whole Normcore/alt clown look plus Liv really just being boring in the ring cannot be it. Never been a fan. Hated when she cashed in on Rousey. I feel like it took forever to restabilize the women’s division after that.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2236 on: April 17, 2024, 01:16:59 PM »
Chad Gable heel turn. I’m into that. Really can only elevate him. He’s one of the best in/ring performers. He’s a perfect mix of Kurt Angle/Benoit/Bret Hart

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2237 on: April 19, 2024, 04:25:13 AM »
Standing up for Nyla and trans rights and booking RVD to wrestle on 4/20 are things that should outweigh the negatives people have for Tony K

TerryFunk

• Rep: 9
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2238 on: April 19, 2024, 07:20:03 PM »
Standing up for Nyla and trans rights and booking RVD to wrestle on 4/20 are things that should outweigh the negatives people have for Tony K

The only negatives people have for Tony K are just things they heard on Cornette’s podcast.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 21
« Reply #2239 on: April 22, 2024, 06:53:28 AM »
I missed Dynasty last night but it looks like a lot happened.

Jack Perry returns.

Willow over Julia

SWERVE NEW CHAMP

Anybody watch?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2240 on: April 22, 2024, 08:31:29 AM »
I missed Dynasty last night but it looks like a lot happened.

Jack Perry returns.

Willow over Julia

SWERVE NEW CHAMP

Anybody watch?

I meant to but fell asleep early.   Okada and Osprey matches apparently worth the price of admission

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2241 on: April 22, 2024, 02:50:06 PM »

Him being a good person & providing nostalgia occasionally is separate from being a bad Booker & losing his mind on twitter, along with writing scripts for Will Ospreay to talk about the grind. Also, most people I’ve talked agree with the gripes of him/AEW that are outside of Cornette’s podcast. I’ve listened to only a few episodes & they aren’t about AEW.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2242 on: April 22, 2024, 03:16:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Him being a good person & providing nostalgia occasionally is separate from being a bad Booker & losing his mind on twitter, along with writing scripts for Will Ospreay to talk about the grind. Also, most people I’ve talked agree with the gripes of him/AEW that are outside of Cornette’s podcast. I’ve listened to only a few episodes & they aren’t about AEW.

Eh being a bad booker and “losing his mind” is just hyperbole.   His booking is fine, he just doesn’t have the benefit of having a Paul Heyman in his staff.   All the moves he makes are fine with me in the grand scheme.  I don’t need every beat to land bc its professional wrestling I go in for and the matches are fantastic (and the mat isn’t mic-ed)

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2243 on: April 23, 2024, 07:09:52 PM »
Trick Williams is the new NXT Workd Champion. A ripper of a match between him & Dragunov. Hoping this means Ilja is headed to Raw & getting into something. Imperium split as of last night so I think that’s an indication.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2244 on: April 23, 2024, 07:54:45 PM »
Swerves first defense will be against Kyle Fletcher tomorrow!!

Cameron Grimes, Jinder, Xia Li, Indus Sher amongst those recently released by the Fed.  Looks like they are no longer needed for a footprint into India or China

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2245 on: April 24, 2024, 11:45:32 AM »

Cameron Grimes, Jinder, Xia Li, Indus Sher amongst those recently released by the Fed.  Looks like they are no longer needed for a footprint into India or China

Jinder quit. The others were released.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2246 on: April 24, 2024, 12:20:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I saw it reported as a case of “you can’t release me, I quit!”

Also, Imperium doesn’t seem to be broken up, just down a man

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2247 on: April 24, 2024, 05:44:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

One and the same. Vinci is out, Imperium as a tag team is done. I always saw them as a team with Gunther running it. They wrestled almost exclusively as a tag team (Vinci & Kaiser). Hopefully here comes Dragunov. Kaiser gets a good reaction & he can be a great heel. I see him being a champ soon. Vinci will either go to NXT or be part of something with Dragunov & McDonugh once Judgement Day dissolves.

As for Jinder, definitely a shame but this is the name of the game. I think Levesque tried. Off to the indies. Definitely not AEW.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2248 on: April 24, 2024, 06:20:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

One and the same. Vinci is out, Imperium as a tag team is done. I always saw them as a team with Gunther running it. They wrestled almost exclusively as a tag team (Vinci & Kaiser). Hopefully here comes Dragunov. Kaiser gets a good reaction & he can be a great heel. I see him being a champ soon. Vinci will either go to NXT or be part of something with Dragunov & McDonugh once Judgement Day dissolves.

As for Jinder, definitely a shame but this is the name of the game. I think Levesque tried. Off to the indies. Definitely not AEW.

Imperium has been around since before WWE as Ringkampf and usually 4 guys.   Timothy Thatcher was in the group in the Euro indies and when they came to NXT US that Alexander Wolfe guy from Sanity was added.   

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2249 on: April 24, 2024, 06:55:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Imperium has been around since before WWE as Ringkampf and usually 4 guys.   Timothy Thatcher was in the group in the Euro indies and when they came to NXT US that Alexander Wolfe guy from Sanity was added.   

Oh I know. I was referring to now. The current composition of Imperium. WXW, yeah. Thatcher, lad. I actually loved that match he had when Danielson had four weeks of the MJF iron man challenge to get a shot at the Triple B.