Author Topic: Skateboarder Vs. Stand Your Ground Laws  (Read 6705 times)

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
Re: Skateboarder Vs. Stand Your Ground Laws
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2022, 12:14:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Canadian here. I have fired two guns in my life. At a range, with my mom for her birthday and a shotgun in an old quarry way up north. Not a gun guy at all.
My question is. Do Americans constantly think about the possibility of somebody else having a gun in every single confrontation or disagreement in public?
I feel like it would always be on my mind.
[close]

I don't honk at people in traffic anymore. Too many people in Houston get shot for that.
I occasionally will, but only if its in traffic with other people around and they aren't driving a vehicle with gun nut stickers all over or something.

grew up down there with a dad who had an itchy horn finger, was absolutely insane with it. went back to visit recently and not a single beep. and it's not like he's gotten more chill about driving in houston, it's definitely the threat of getting shot. it's wild down there now

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2022, 12:15:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Canadian here. I have fired two guns in my life. At a range, with my mom for her birthday and a shotgun in an old quarry way up north. Not a gun guy at all.
My question is. Do Americans constantly think about the possibility of somebody else having a gun in every single confrontation or disagreement in public?
[close]

I don't honk at people in traffic anymore. Too many people in Houston get shot for that.
I occasionally will, but only if its in traffic with other people around and they aren't driving a vehicle with gun nut stickers all over or something.
[close]

I heard about this a few weeks ago and just was like WTF Texas

There's a Parramatta in America? Crazy. (Not as crazy as the actual shooting I guess)

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 547
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2022, 12:19:34 PM »
A deadly episode has already happened. Unfortunately, I’m sure it will happen again.

https://skateboarding.transworld.net/news/san-diego-skateboarder-shot-and-killed-by-neighbor/

This was my classmate. 

The dad was already unhinged. He had brandished a weapon on them before — another classmate who skated with Ray frequently said he's yelled at them with a shotgun in hand a few times before.

He was pissed because they were always skating too close to his car, which was parked on the street. They also lived on that street. So it wasn't like they weren't skating where they weren't supposed to. Like they'd pull a fun box out kind of deal.

After news broke, his daughter and son basically pulled out of school the following day.

Dude basically showed no remorse. Even during his trial.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2022, 12:27:50 PM »

you know, i'm reluctant to get too involved in this discussion here--i know my views differ from most heads here in SLAP, and i'm not trying to change any minds. but i appreciate this question and want to at least say that, saying "Americans" like it's some kind of monolithic thing won't help to provide a useful or accurate answer to your thoughtful question.

if nothing else, one must make the distinction between the daily realities poor and working people who live in big cities deal with, versus those that middle-class and affluent people in the suburbs and exurbs (edit: and gentrified parts of big cities) deal with--the former unfortunately are going to probably have the most reason to assume that someone has a gun, based on actual or indirect experience...

Maurice46

• Rep: 10
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2022, 12:29:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I heard about this a few weeks ago and just was like WTF Texas

Disgusting. This wild west shit is what far too many people in the US want in order to give life to the LARPer pioneer/libertarian/settler myths  they have about themselves and elected officials pander to them for votes with policy actions like SYG laws . The rest of us are just along for the ride. SMH.

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2022, 01:28:37 PM »
Expand Quote
A deadly episode has already happened. Unfortunately, I’m sure it will happen again.

https://skateboarding.transworld.net/news/san-diego-skateboarder-shot-and-killed-by-neighbor/
[close]

This was my classmate. 

The dad was already unhinged. He had brandished a weapon on them before — another classmate who skated with Ray frequently said he's yelled at them with a shotgun in hand a few times before.

He was pissed because they were always skating too close to his car, which was parked on the street. They also lived on that street. So it wasn't like they weren't skating where they weren't supposed to. Like they'd pull a fun box out kind of deal.

After news broke, his daughter and son basically pulled out of school the following day.

absolutely fucked. i’m sorry man. i hope they locked that dude up for life

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2252
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2022, 01:32:54 PM »
My dad is very conservative. Full on Trumper, like has those weird, oddly specific custom shirts you see on Facebook ads occasionally. He is a gun nut as of the last 10 years. We're talking rifles, shotguns, handguns, magnums, crossbows, swords, etc.. I would almost say he fantasizes about having to shoot someone in self-defense someday. Conservative media has made him really paranoid and afraid, and he has this constant nagging desire to be "prepared". One time, we went axe-throwing (which was a pretty big fad out here in southern California for a while) and while throwing the axes he kept saying, "I'm just imagining somebody running away from me". Not towards, but away from. Definitely raised an eyebrow to that one dad.

Wow that was fucked up to read.

When I was on a skate/camping trip across Idaho (I'm Canadian) it blew my mind to see some lady going through the checkout at the grocery store with a handgun in a holster. Like what the fuck are you wearing a gun to the grocery store for?

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2022, 01:36:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This was my classmate. 

The dad was already unhinged. He had brandished a weapon on them before — another classmate who skated with Ray frequently said he's yelled at them with a shotgun in hand a few times before.

[close]

absolutely fucked. i’m sorry man. i hope they locked that dude up for life

He got something like 50+ years only because he pled guilty. Otherwise he was looking at 1st Degree due to him threatening the kids in the past. The fucked thing was he tried to last minute pull his plea because he knew we was going to do time, but didn't want to do THAT much time. Judge basically said "get fucked."

Dude was my dad's age at the time (mid-40s). He's for sure going to die in jail.

Felt more for his kids, who were cool and no one blamed them, left with their mom to Vegas (or somewhere else they had family) basically almost over night.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2022, 01:49:37 PM »

I too am from the great white north but have never fired a real gun. Just a bb and pellet gun respectively lol...

I also have never seen one in the wild ie. someone pulling a gun on me or someone in the street but I live in a small town so it's kind of expected. I have had knives pulled on me a few times and people get stabbed here pretty frequently so if someone wants to hurt another person they'll always find a way.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2022, 01:56:44 PM »
Expand Quote
My dad is very conservative. Full on Trumper, like has those weird, oddly specific custom shirts you see on Facebook ads occasionally. He is a gun nut as of the last 10 years. We're talking rifles, shotguns, handguns, magnums, crossbows, swords, etc.. I would almost say he fantasizes about having to shoot someone in self-defense someday. Conservative media has made him really paranoid and afraid, and he has this constant nagging desire to be "prepared". One time, we went axe-throwing (which was a pretty big fad out here in southern California for a while) and while throwing the axes he kept saying, "I'm just imagining somebody running away from me". Not towards, but away from. Definitely raised an eyebrow to that one dad.
[close]

When I was on a skate/camping trip across Idaho (I'm Canadian) it blew my mind to see some lady going through the checkout at the grocery store with a handgun in a holster. Like what the fuck are you wearing a gun to the grocery store for?
Lol dumbest arguments I ever got into was with some security truck guys who brought their guns into a burger king (hungry jacks in Aus) same fucking idea what are you bringing a gun into a restaraunt for? gonna have a shootout between all these kids? Shows how different the attitudes are between countries outside Aus I'd probably just of gotten shot

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1613
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2022, 02:36:04 PM »
That guy who brandished the weapon was WAY out of pocket and if he had a concealed carry permit (which I seriously doubt he did), it should be revoked.

It didn't look like the guy skating the rail even saw the weapon immediately, which may have been a good thing. If he would have seen it and tried to disarm that asshole, who knows what would have happened. Hopefully there is some recourse for the skateboarder and filmer who were almost in a deadly encounter.

Captain America didn't look experienced with firearms at all. To be honest, he looks like the type of dude who will end up shooting themself by accident. The only saving grace was that the barrel was sort of pointed upward.

That was a really close call.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2022, 02:45:41 PM »
Guess we found the real Clipper, amirite???

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2022, 02:47:21 PM »
That guy who brandished the weapon was WAY out of pocket and if he had a concealed carry permit (which I seriously doubt he did), it should be revoked.

This happened in Arizona. They have a very liberal open carry policy. No CCW permit required. They only need to be 18.

Which, unfortunately, allows chuckleheads like that dude to think they can play The Lone Ranger whenever they want.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2022, 03:00:57 PM »
I live in very rural, mostly very impoverished place. There are endless guns around, like everything you can imagine. Seeing people get busted for whatever dumb shit they get caught doing and catching charges for automatic weapons, ghosts, etc is pretty common place and that's just the dumb fuck tweakers who get caught. These mofo's driving their lifted Trump diesels are all packing, all the time, and hearing automatic gunfire in the hills is not uncommon. If/when shit hits the fan, these shitbags got a lot on hand.

And fuck that old dude. Looks like he was gonna rack up and stops. Good move, bozo. It's one thing to get held up while skating by a junkie, but a fat old dude in a Tesla. Fuckin hell

Edit: the vibes in America at this time, at least if you're surrounded by chuds and don't appear to be a chud,-white, male, straight, Christian Magat- heavy. I hear people, usually a few potbellied and slobby older men at a time, talking all kinds of shit about throwing down, everywhere. Then you've got the younger guys, those are the dudes who look like clean rednecks, and arent saying much, but those are the dudes for whom this crazy and more recent far right propaganda has been a fixture in their lives from an early age. I'm glad Jello Biafra propagandized my ass as a kid...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 03:39:46 PM by IusedToSkateMore »
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Brad Wesley

• Rep: 31
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2022, 03:44:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's so dumb. Even among 2A self-defense advocates, open carry is widely considered a bad idea. You're giving up the advantage of concealment and increasing the risk of getting into a high stakes tug-of-war with some rando who's bold/intoxicated enough to try snatching your gun from you.

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2022, 03:46:03 PM »
To the Canadians that wonder about America’s gun violence should look at there own backyard “Toronto gun violence” is up there with Chicago nowadays. Regardless, I agree about how fucked up these idiots are pointing guns at people and shooting into cars due to road rage, it’s fucked up.. I’m not a huge gun advocate(I did have my 2A rights reinstated with the expungement of my two non-violent felony convictions) but I still know that one of the biggest rules of gun safety is “never point a gun at something or someone you are not ready to completely destroy”.
//////////

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2022, 04:06:55 PM »
To the Canadians that wonder about America’s gun violence should look at there own backyard “Toronto gun violence” is up there with Chicago nowadays. Regardless, I agree about how fucked up these idiots are pointing guns at people and shooting into cars due to road rage, it’s fucked up.. I’m not a huge gun advocate(I did have my 2A rights reinstated with the expungement of my two non-violent felony convictions) but I still know that one of the biggest rules of gun safety is “never point a gun at something or someone you are not ready to completely destroy”.

Adding to that: Don't pull your gun out unless you're ready and willing to use it.

By the way that twatwaffle pulled his piece out, he wasn't ready. He was trying to use it to scare those skaters.

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2022, 04:37:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Adding to that: Don't pull your gun out unless you're ready and willing to use it.

By the way that twatwaffle pulled his piece out, he wasn't ready. He was trying to use it to scare those skaters.

Agreed, that dude is a twatwaffle! Haha! That’s a perfect description
//////////

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2022, 04:57:40 PM »
Just got back from a bachelor party in Idaho and our cab driver was open carrying and gave my friend a live bullet as a gift when he dropped us off at the bars.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2022, 08:48:01 PM »
ain’t no stopping what’s coming. rowdy times ahead but if u a rowdy boy it’s a day at the office

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 269
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2022, 04:20:26 AM »
Tesla guy looked like a clumsy oaf trying to get that gun prepared. Should never be allowed to own a gun
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1087
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2022, 04:30:52 AM »
To the Canadians that wonder about America’s gun violence should look at there own backyard “Toronto gun violence” is up there with Chicago nowadays.

This is not even remotely true. Just a complete falsehood, based on a reading of newspaper headlines. Chicago had nearly 800% the number of homicides in 2021 as did Toronto. All of Canada had fewer homicides than Chicago did in 2021.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2022, 04:32:20 AM »
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=3510007101

Homicides   Number of homicide victims
Geography   2017   2018   2019   2020   2021
Number
Canada (map)   667   662   689   759   788
Toronto, Ontario5 (map)   93   145   130   105   117
https://graphics.suntimes.com/homicides/
794 victims were killed in Chicago in 2021.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2022, 05:24:55 AM »
civilians owning guns will never make sense

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2022, 05:35:10 AM »

yes... these days i just walk away from pretty much any situation except maybe if someone is threatening my kids, it's just not worth it. someone steals your parking spot, find another, etc...

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2022, 05:44:04 AM »
The skater was so calm when he sees the gun. It’s always nice to see the skater keeping their composure while in a hostile situation.

Does stand your ground apply when it’s not your property? Hard to know if the perp owned the building or not, but people will go insane defending private property that they don’t even own.

To the Canadian, in short yes, Americans love guns. We get such a hard on for guns.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2022, 05:56:27 AM »
it varies based on location, from state to city and even to neighborhood. it's definitely always a calculation i have running in my mind.

i grew up in new jersey where there are still plenty of guns, but not too much 'gun nut' culture. i was a little shithead yelling at strangers and vandalizing houses and all that, never really worried about getting shot. but a friend who grew up in north carolina recently told me he never did any of that shit because it was just too risky that you might get shot.

when i was living in brooklyn a guy i knew got hit by a stray bullet. he just happened to be working down the street from an altercation, and the bullet went flying down the block. that's the thing these gun dipshits don't understand. most of their bullets don't hit the intended target. because there's almost no formal training required to own a gun here, and its pretty easy to get one illegally anyway, lots of people have guns but no clue how to use them properly.

i always compare it to driving a car. people have to take a test to prove that they can safely operate a vehicle... and yet they still drive like nutjobs and kill people all the time. so imagine if there was even less training and even less regulation for a technology thats arguable more deadly. that's basically where guns are at in the US. it sucks.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2022, 06:03:32 AM »

I live in Texas and you definitely need to assume someone is packing a heater at all times

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2022, 06:13:47 AM »
so, do you feel safer knowing everyone likely is armed?

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2022, 06:23:29 AM »
civilians owning guns will never make sense

here we go--this shit kills me and i don't want to send this thread any further off in this tangential direction, but fuck you.

"civilians owning guns will never make sense"? so, just the state with all of its increasingly militarized police forces and government agencies throughout this country should be armed? right...how white of you.

hey, the IRS is hiring, maybe you should apply...87,000 new "agents" and providing them with tactical training and everything. they've purchased nearly 5000 guns and over $700,000 in ammunition in the past year alone...you sound perfect for the job...