Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 125833 times)

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #540 on: January 04, 2023, 08:27:23 PM »
I'd second (3rd?) the 8.18/8.125 deck with 144/148 trucks. Not too small, not too big.

I just bumped to an 8.7 up from 8.5 (14.25"WB) with indy...not sure what's going on but everything feels too small and tight with a 14.25" WB with indys; 8.7 has a 14.5", big for me...not sure what to throw on it truckwise....(8.5" over trucks). Either Indy or Royal or Tensor ATGs...pretty sure I'd feel like manning a boat if I threw thunders on it.

I still haven’t come to terms with the graphic on that deck. Is it worth putting up with?   And the squareness of the kicks? I have had a nose like that, but not a tail.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #541 on: January 04, 2023, 08:40:07 PM »
I'd second (3rd?) the 8.18/8.125 deck with 144/148 trucks. Not too small, not too big.

I just bumped to an 8.7 up from 8.5 (14.25"WB) with indy...not sure what's going on but everything feels too small and tight with a 14.25" WB with indys; 8.7 has a 14.5", big for me...not sure what to throw on it truckwise....(8.5" over trucks). Either Indy or Royal or Tensor ATGs...pretty sure I'd feel like manning a boat if I threw thunders on it.

I really liked my 8.38/14.5 DLX on Thunders actually- Busenitz and Simon Jensen skate that combo among others. My buddy had an 8.5/14.5 BBS generic that felt great on 149 Team Hollows. I was surprised because it is "long" on paper.

burner

• Rep: 91
« Reply #542 on: January 04, 2023, 09:53:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I really liked my 8.38/14.5 DLX on Thunders actually- Busenitz and Simon Jensen skate that combo among others. My buddy had an 8.5/14.5 BBS generic that felt great on 149 Team Hollows. I was surprised because it is "long" on paper.

Intersting, I thought Dennis was on the 8.25/147 trip but guess he sized up? Is this confirmed by Dennis ("my ride" or interview, comment, Thunder post etc) or just from the footy that you've seen. Not denying, just curious.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 10:00:35 PM by burner »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #543 on: January 04, 2023, 10:15:21 PM »
I had been emailing with Jim and someone I know skates with Dennis on occasion. So, like a weirdo I asked. He rides the 8.38 Dreamer on 148s with whatever wheels. Occasionally he will also ride the 8.38 Full SE and almost always rides production decks not heat transferred custom shapes like lots of the team. Often times he will walk into a shop and pay full resale if he doesn't have one of a shape he wants. If you watch that Thunder part of him recently you can see his setup well.

burner

« Reply #544 on: January 05, 2023, 03:34:46 AM »
I had been emailing with Jim and someone I know skates with Dennis on occasion. So, like a weirdo I asked. He rides the 8.38 Dreamer on 148s with whatever wheels. Occasionally he will also ride the 8.38 Full SE and almost always rides production decks not heat transferred custom shapes like lots of the team. Often times he will walk into a shop and pay full resale if he doesn't have one of a shape he wants. If you watch that Thunder part of him recently you can see his setup well.

Cool, interesting, thanks. I knew he sized up from 8.18 to 8.25 around Away Days, but didn't realise he'd gone up again. Guess I've been sleeping on Dennis a bit and didn't realise he'd put anything out in the past few years, just IG stuff which I don't really follow....what Thunder part are you referring too? Guess I missed it.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #545 on: January 05, 2023, 12:07:41 PM »

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #546 on: January 05, 2023, 01:25:18 PM »
Appropriate for Sale thread, but also here.

Skate Warehouse (you can pay with Venmo and PayPal to avoid CC data breach)

Has Indy S11 Standard for $35 a set right now! That's after the site wide 20% of from the $43 Daily Dose price

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/dailydose.html
Super Champion Fun Zone

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
« Reply #547 on: January 05, 2023, 02:24:23 PM »
For anyone buying those burgundy Indys, there's already a thread about removing paint from trucks.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IpathCats

« Reply #548 on: January 06, 2023, 05:28:42 AM »
For anyone buying those burgundy Indys, there's already a thread about removing paint from trucks.

lol

Appropriate for Sale thread, but also here.

Skate Warehouse (you can pay with Venmo and PayPal to avoid CC data breach)

Has Indy S11 Standard for $35 a set right now! That's after the site wide 20% of from the $43 Daily Dose price

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/dailydose.html

ugh, i know not everyone has enough money to buy whatever skate gear they want but after only buying from real shops for a while now, the thought of buying from a big retailer makes me feel dirty. I guess if there is any time to buy from one of the big/bad guys it would be a sale so you know they're turning a smaller profit lol.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #549 on: January 06, 2023, 05:55:24 AM »
The BTG stamp on the baseplate...we need a barf emoji on here.

IpathCats

« Reply #550 on: January 06, 2023, 07:12:08 AM »

yea, pretty awful

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1007
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #551 on: January 06, 2023, 09:53:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yea, pretty awful

I back it for the sole reason that it's probably making all the iron cross die-hardkunts even more salty :P Neg away salty bitches...that is, if you can find the time between rubbing one out on your 1313 reissues and posting.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 06:42:44 PM by Xen »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #552 on: January 06, 2023, 10:29:03 AM »

Showing up on forged baseplates too.   https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Independent_S11_BTG_Summit_Forged_Hollow_Standard_Truck/descpage-INBTSTR.html

Primitive colab has the P logo on it
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Independent_Stage_11_Primitive_Mid_Truck/descpage-INPGMTR.html

I'm in the camp that I don't care.  I have some with the cross, some blank, and would skate the BTG. 

IpathCats

« Reply #553 on: January 06, 2023, 11:13:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Showing up on forged baseplates too.   https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Independent_S11_BTG_Summit_Forged_Hollow_Standard_Truck/descpage-INBTSTR.html

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Independent_Stage_11_Primitive_Mid_Truck/descpage-INPGMTR.html

I'm in the camp that I don't care.  I have some with the cross, some blank, and would skate the BTG.

I think the P logo is cool, wouldnt buy them personally but i think its a cool touch. I think they should do more special stuff there since they arent doing the cross anymore. Would be cool to see pros get a special engraving there or w/e. Either their initials or just something they like.

That "BTG" is just corny, not a fan.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #554 on: January 06, 2023, 11:51:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think the P logo is cool, wouldnt buy them personally but i think its a cool touch. I think they should do more special stuff there since they arent doing the cross anymore. Would be cool to see pros get a special engraving there or w/e. Either their initials or just something they like.

That "BTG" is just corny, not a fan.

Special engraving there would be way cooler than some colored truck or something. Little picture on the truck kinda how thunder does and an engraving on the baseplate would be cool as hell

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1330
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #555 on: January 06, 2023, 11:58:16 AM »
Basically just bring back the salamanders and scimitars and then add like eightballs and shit to the Indy ones
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #556 on: January 06, 2023, 12:36:25 PM »
Hey, at least it's not "Built 2 Grind". A few extra points for using the actual word and not B2G although that should be a Baker throwback collab special edition.

IpathCats

« Reply #557 on: January 06, 2023, 12:39:50 PM »
Basically just bring back the salamanders and scimitars and then add like eightballs and shit to the Indy ones

???

Hey, at least it's not "Built 2 Grind". A few extra points for using the actual word and not B2G although that should be a Baker throwback collab special edition.

True, and true.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #558 on: January 06, 2023, 12:52:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

???

Expand Quote
[close]

True, and true.
I was thinking about those Winkowski pro Indys that came out last year and how they kinda sat around and got discounted. I woulda been super down if they had an engraved eightball instead of a screened one on the baseplate.

The lizards and swords thing is just some of what Thunder had engraved on their baseplates during Stages 1 and 2
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

IpathCats

« Reply #559 on: January 06, 2023, 01:01:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

???

Expand Quote
[close]

True, and true.
[close]
I was thinking about those Winkowski pro Indys that came out last year and how they kinda sat around and got discounted. I woulda been super down if they had an engraved eightball instead of a screened one on the baseplate.

The lizards and swords thing is just some of what Thunder had engraved on their baseplates during Stages 1 and 2

Ah ok, that's what i was questioning.

IpathCats

« Reply #560 on: January 06, 2023, 01:50:27 PM »
Our lord and savior Nik Stain rides 149 standards btw if anyone was wondering. Confirmed through dm.

Also rides my preferred wheel 56mm 99a classic.

I'm a fucking dork.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #561 on: January 06, 2023, 02:10:50 PM »
Our lord and savior Nik Stain rides 149 standards btw if anyone was wondering. Confirmed through dm.

Also rides my preferred wheel 56mm 99a classic.

I'm a fucking dork.
I actually posted this question in the Hockey X thread. It looked like he mighta been on 159s. Maybe it was the wheels though. Appreciate the info

LebowskisRug

« Reply #562 on: January 06, 2023, 02:26:47 PM »
Christ, his shape is mega fucking steep too I can't imagine how bored I would get waiting for the tail to hit the ground after I pop.

IpathCats

« Reply #563 on: January 06, 2023, 05:24:57 PM »
Christ, his shape is mega fucking steep too I can't imagine how bored I would get waiting for the tail to hit the ground after I pop.

Lol

Nik Stain overcomes geometry with pure strength

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #564 on: January 06, 2023, 05:48:09 PM »
I wonder which is the mellower set up 2023 street versus 2003 vert…..board width/truck size/wheel size….

burner

« Reply #565 on: January 06, 2023, 09:58:20 PM »

Is his board the 8.44 shape 2? I picked that one up over Christmas, haven’t set it up yet though, looking to it though (but I’ll probably go forged or I’ll struggle to flip it).

IpathCats

« Reply #566 on: January 07, 2023, 06:24:56 AM »
I wonder which is the mellower set up 2023 street versus 2003 vert…..board width/truck size/wheel size….

Street setups now are probably larger on average than 2003 vert setups. In every dimm except wheel size.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #567 on: January 07, 2023, 07:08:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yah it's the 8.44 shape 2. I had it once and didn't like it and gave it away. I got another on a hook up and it was even steeper than the first. Not joking if I laid it over a normal bbs deck there was like a 1" gap between the tips of the nose.
Is his board the 8.44 shape 2? I picked that one up over Christmas, haven’t set it up yet though, looking to it though (but I’ll probably go forged or I’ll struggle to flip it).

burner

« Reply #568 on: January 07, 2023, 07:53:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yah it's the 8.44 shape 2. I had it once and didn't like it and gave it away. I got another on a hook up and it was even steeper than the first. Not joking if I laid it over a normal bbs deck there was like a 1" gap between the tips of the nose.

Wow, that's actually nuts, thanks for the heads up! I picked it up really cheap online, just to try something different, but sounds like it's way way different, at least I know what I'm in for now. I was gonna go Indy (like Nik), but sounds like I'll need Venture Lo's to make it skatable for me!!

On a seperate note, I setup a kinda 94ish type ride (for a bit of nostalgia) with Indy Ti 129 on a 7.875 with 40s - and damn, it's all kinds of fun - channeling Goldfish era Rick Howard (just without the talent, tricks or style...) 8)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
« Reply #569 on: January 07, 2023, 08:01:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Wow, that's actually nuts, thanks for the heads up! I picked it up really cheap online, just to try something different, but sounds like it's way way different, at least I know what I'm in for now.

Fwiw I bought this deck during the Great FA Sale in order to use as a pool board and I think it has been great for this purpose. I’ve obviously tried skating street on it and it’s super comfy but flipping the deck is very difficult for me.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021