Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 415870 times)

camel filters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #2340 on: April 12, 2023, 12:40:50 PM »
Expand Quote
When will people realize there is no objective responsibilities to being a pro skateboarder.
[close]

Otherwise, she can go join Cariuma and Bryte.

Adrianne Sobloh, who rides for the Yuma, already has a part. While the person who claims to revere the core street skaters of the past and is on a "core" company, films 5050 variations every few years.

hl2

• Rep: -61
« Reply #2341 on: April 12, 2023, 12:42:53 PM »
jesus why do you guys cry about fucking everything on this website

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #2342 on: April 12, 2023, 12:45:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Interesting how he is commenting on how Vans is run and the office culture etc.

Has this little California momma's boy actually ever worked a day in his life ? What he described sounds like every office ever.
[close]

There are enough skate companies that do not operate like that for people to chose if that sits well with them or not.
[close]

How the hell does he know how it runs?

Also a big corp like that would likely need 10 people on the call.
[close]

Worked for PGE in 2011, very corporate management job that I hated mainly because of all the damn meeting that kept being scheduled.  90% of meetings are a waste of my time, a ton of micromanaging goes on.  I ended up just not showing up and it didn't make any difference because the meeting notes were always emailed out.

To GH points a lot of tech jobs suffer from this issue, ton of people who think micro managing is good at every level of a process and nothing gets done

I had calls where I've hoped on just to be the diversity and just as a show of strength so people think there are more people than necessary on a project.

I've also been on calls with for licensing, where they have basically one person from every department in the company. Legal, art, production, marketing, blah blah blah. Sometimes it's excessive, but it's better than getting blind-sided in certain cases. Checks and balances.

I'm in a meeting RIGHT NOW with a vendor and they brought(flew) 8 people here. I don't know why. When My wife worked at a startup they had everybody on every meeting.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #2343 on: April 12, 2023, 01:05:56 PM »
I think its weak shes getting paid when there are plenty of more deserving skaters.  I also think its great that she is getting paid.  I am able to hold 2 conflicting thoughts in my head at the same time.  in a perfect world, she would still be getting paid as well as all the deserving skaters who arent getting paid.  has she received her own wheel yet? her own hardware?  why come dickies doesnt snag her from supreme and give her her own drop? 

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1078
« Reply #2344 on: April 12, 2023, 01:44:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
probably breaking his patreon rules but here's his latest stream where he devotes the first hour just talking about skate twitter and his response to the beatrice hate

[close]

Nothing in skate history, not even /r/skateboarding or Slap, has been more annoying and fart-sniffing than "#skatetwitter". In a meeting now but I can't wait to see what he has to say.
[close]

Co-Worker:  manysnakes?  What do think about that?

manysnakes:  Pardon?

Co-Worker:  About the proposal?

manysnakes:  Oh the proposal, I like it…

Co-Worker:  You want to fire Matthew?

manysnakes:  No, sorry, I wanna keep him.  Of course.

Co-Worker:  Were you not listening before?

manysnakes:  No, sorry, I was texting about my kid.

Co-Worker:  I saw… well I saw you on a website.  Looked old, like early 2000’s.  Sorry, I’ve noticed you on there before, what is that?

manysnakes:    :)
[close]

Zoom meeting. Letting a YouTube video run in the background is a little flagrant, I just looked at guitars on Craigslist.

Ultimately I think Beatrice is a completely mediocre skateboarder but I agree with all the haters who say that it absolutely doesn't matter and that the only reason why anyone has ever got a skateboard with their name on it is because someone else thought that they could sell them.
[close]

Well played.

I totally agree with you by the way.  I enjoy Gifted Hater, but dont agree with everything he says by any means.  I feel like the rules for skating are totally arbitrary and listening to a 25 year old and then taking his words as gospel is plain silly.

Especially one with such a limited world view. He is constantly saying that video parts and street skating are the core of skateboarding, and that it has always been this way. It’s true that it has been this way for as long as he has been alive, but it certainly has not always been that way and I think anyone who understands even a little bit of skate history knows this. Skateboarding existed for decades without videos, without street skating, and with a pro only getting a deck because of their popularity (usually due to contest wins).

Whether he realizes it or not, he is upset that there is a new form of pro skateboarding taking shape. There is definitely an irony in dying on this hill, when you yourself have achieved amateur skateboard status based on your YouTube channel.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2345 on: April 12, 2023, 02:05:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
probably breaking his patreon rules but here's his latest stream where he devotes the first hour just talking about skate twitter and his response to the beatrice hate

[close]

Nothing in skate history, not even /r/skateboarding or Slap, has been more annoying and fart-sniffing than "#skatetwitter". In a meeting now but I can't wait to see what he has to say.
[close]

Co-Worker:  I saw… well I saw you on a website.  Looked old, like early 2000’s.  Sorry, I’ve noticed you on there before, what is that?

[close]

Zoom meeting. Letting a YouTube video run in the background is a little flagrant, I just looked at guitars on Craigslist.

Ultimately I think Beatrice is a completely mediocre skateboarder but I agree with all the haters who say that it absolutely doesn't matter and that the only reason why anyone has ever got a skateboard with their name on it is because someone else thought that they could sell them.
[close]

Well played.

I totally agree with you by the way.  I enjoy Gifted Hater, but dont agree with everything he says by any means.  I feel like the rules for skating are totally arbitrary and listening to a 25 year old and then taking his words as gospel is plain silly.
[close]

Especially one with such a limited world view. He is constantly saying that video parts and street skating are the core of skateboarding, and that it has always been this way. It’s true that it has been this way for as long as he has been alive, but it certainly has not always been that way and I think anyone who understands even a little bit of skate history knows this. Skateboarding existed for decades without videos, without street skating, and with a pro only getting a deck because of their popularity (usually due to contest wins).

Whether he realizes it or not, he is upset that there is a new form of pro skateboarding taking shape. There is definitely an irony in dying on this hill, when you yourself have achieved amateur skateboard status based on your YouTube channel.

Preach man.  Used to be contests were the path, then Rocco started turning kids like Billy Waldman pro at age 12 or whatever.  I dont really like Dill but he has as much right as anyone to turn someone pro.  Separating YouTube videos and Instagram videos like they’re this wholly different animal is disengenous on some level, as much as I can appreciate how proper video parts distinguish certain skaters as being great.

WhoCareZ

« Reply #2346 on: April 12, 2023, 02:46:29 PM »
His regular flow of complaining, whether delivering a correct take or not, is very similar to Berra's tactic with social media by bringing up topics where there's no real right answer, but it gets everyone to argue. These arguments that trace back to GH/Berra as the originators of a certain topic, keep them relevant, and make them money. A cycle that will continue as long as we keep giving them our time.

smellymoron69

• Rep: -16
« Reply #2347 on: April 12, 2023, 03:55:12 PM »
I haven't watched his latest video yet, and based on what I've been hearing I probably wont.
At least with Skateline, Gary's commentary is more playful, and you don't have a rabid fanbase preying and acting on his every word.

It's definitely gotten to the point where producing and monetizing this type of content for that large of an audience has devolved into jock-like/kook behavior.

Again, I haven't watched his last couple videos and don't really see myself at this point, but just off the discourse alone, shit is getting embarrassing. Is he really platforming for a black woman to not have a board/place in the industry? What kind of shit is that?

Sooner or later, people will have to come to terms that being a "deeply online" skateboarder really isn't that cool and actually kind of just loser behavior.

I don't even have that much of a problem with the guy, but give it a rest dude.
He should make a tier list of all of his bricked deleted videos that have flopped.

You act like this is some kind of brutal cartel dismembering video that you can't possibly bear to watch. Just watch the video if you want to participate in a discourse about it. It's not going to permanently scar you.

Second, why are you bringing race or gender into it? He didn't criticize Beatrice because she's black or a woman. He criticized her for the same reasons he criticized Dill and KB. She doesn't contribute hardly anything to skating. She does the same little kid trick in every video, and maybe 1-2 other tricks that most skaters learn within two years of skating. She has never put out a full part.

Criticizing Beatrice is 100x more reasonable than acting like Gifted Hater has it out for black/female skaters.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2348 on: April 12, 2023, 04:46:20 PM »
I was more weirded out by the "Hey Guys, give it a chance" take on SLS going to Rumble. I get that it may potentially be easier to stream the (single) event than it was on YT but of course it may not be! Chances are it's cruddy streaming tech thrown together by opportunistic right wing money just like the other new "conservative media" sources that popped up in the wake of all the deplatforming. Sorry but it's another weird take from a dude who seems to stan Sam Hyde and is by default an OC bro.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #2349 on: April 12, 2023, 04:56:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Well played.

[close]

[close]

Preach man.  Used to be contests were the path, then Rocco started turning kids like Billy Waldman pro at age 12 or whatever.  I dont really like Dill but he has as much right as anyone to turn someone pro.  Separating YouTube videos and Instagram videos like they’re this wholly different animal is disengenous on some level, as much as I can appreciate how proper video parts distinguish certain skaters as being great.

It’s not an exact science, but video parts have been the measuring stick for pro street skaters for over 30 years. Of course, personality and marketability are a part of the equation. But if you want to say that instagramming cool clothes and low level tricks at the skatepark is the same as putting out on a street part, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s a short cut.

If Joa said this about ‘Skate Moss’ or someone like that, no one would care. But since Dill decided to back Beatrice, all of a sudden it’s something crazy. Based on street footage outpit, Beatrice isn’t much different than Skate Moss.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2350 on: April 12, 2023, 04:59:17 PM »
I was more weirded out by the "Hey Guys, give it a chance" take on SLS going to Rumble. I get that it may potentially be easier to stream the (single) event than it was on YT but of course it may not be! Chances are it's cruddy streaming tech thrown together by opportunistic right wing money just like the other new "conservative media" sources that popped up in the wake of all the deplatforming. Sorry but it's another weird take from a dude who seems to stan Sam Hyde and is by default an OC bro.

Exactly, when he said he wasn’t one for getting political, I looked at the diverse group of skaters we see in his park reviews and assumed that meant he didn’t wanna dump his liberal takes on our laps.  But paired with his “if you knew what we really think” intimations about Ryan Lay and his friend group, and the Sam Hyde leanings you reference - seems like GH is possibly a closet conservative.  Or a moderate who likes shock factor!

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #2351 on: April 12, 2023, 05:09:42 PM »
I don't think Gifted Hater is a closet conservative. He's just an edgy white guy who wears Trump hats "ironically" and likes dickheads like Destiny and Sam Hyde.

Either way it seems like more of the hate should be directed towards Dill and Supreme, rather than Beatrice. They're the ones who co-signed her and are the only reasons anyone actually cares about her. No one would turn down an opportunity to make a living as a "pro skater" and a "model" if someone offered it to them, so I can't blame Beatrice for taking advantage of it, but she's just not good. Sure there are better women than her that deserve her sponsors, but then again you could say the same for some male pros as well *cough*evanmock*cough* . 

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2352 on: April 12, 2023, 05:21:09 PM »
Expand Quote
I haven't watched his latest video yet, and based on what I've been hearing I probably wont.

snip

Again, I haven't watched his last couple videos and don't really see myself at this point, but just off the discourse alone, shit is getting embarrassing. Is he really platforming for a black woman to not have a board/place in the industry? What kind of shit is that?

snip

[close]

You should really watch the video before deciding to be weird and make this about race and gender.

best to make opinions before understanding them.  it's 2023

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2353 on: April 12, 2023, 05:25:51 PM »
Pro skaters only exist as a marketing tool.  You dont need to skate if your image sells whatever they're selling, so who cares.  it's not like it's some skill based metric where you acquire a certain level before you get promoted to the elite rankings of trick masters.  Beatrice is well deserved to be a "Pro" if she sells product for her brands.  Doesn't mean she's a good skater, or you have to like her skating, but if you do, that's great too.  Pro skaters are very cheap marketing tools, and it's kinda gross, but that's how the industry is built.

t's just watching stuff, its all cool to have whatever opinion you like.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #2354 on: April 12, 2023, 05:34:40 PM »
I don't think Gifted Hater is a closet conservative. He's just an edgy white guy who wears Trump hats "ironically" and likes dickheads like Destiny and Sam Hyde.

I don’t think he’s conservative at all. A lot of the Skate Twitter crowd is left leaning. Which I happen to be but these people like call blast someone as racist at the drop of hat. They were calling him racist for the Tyshawn video.  He’s just pointing out their rash white knighting tendencies. They make dumb generalizations about Slap as well.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 336
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2355 on: April 12, 2023, 06:26:49 PM »
The criticisms should mostly fall on Dill for giving her a board. You think someone would deny that opportunity for more money and success? I do think she is kind of wasting the opportunity to by not filming street parts. She's definitely a good skater and has it in her. Maybe she doesn't think it would be worth it because of injuries etc.? I don't hate her for milking this at all though. Go get it.

smellymoron69

« Reply #2356 on: April 12, 2023, 06:56:27 PM »
The criticisms should mostly fall on Dill for giving her a board. You think someone would deny that opportunity for more money and success? I do think she is kind of wasting the opportunity to by not filming street parts. She's definitely a good skater and has it in her. Maybe she doesn't think it would be worth it because of injuries etc.? I don't hate her for milking this at all though. Go get it.

I feel like I'm going insane reading comments like this.

1. She's not "definitely a good skater" compared to any other pros, male or female.
2. If she "has it in her" to film street parts, she would have done it by now. You guys realize she's 28 right?
3. Maybe she doesn't think filming parts is worth it because of injuries? Wtf? We are talking about professional skateboarding right? If that's the case then she probably shouldn't have signed up in the first place.
4. You don't hate her for milking this at all? What about Kevin Bradley? I don't see anyone celebrating him milking his career (even though unlike Beatrice, he actually put out a lot of good footy in the past).

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 336
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2357 on: April 12, 2023, 07:16:38 PM »
Mate I just don't care. You take this shit way too seriously. Pro skating and the entire industry is absurd enough as it is. If Dill or anyone running a company want to pay someone regardless of skill level or output it's all good, power to 'em, it's their choice. It's funny. They're not really doing anything of significant importance.

smellymoron69

« Reply #2358 on: April 12, 2023, 07:52:22 PM »
Mate I just don't care. You take this shit way too seriously. Pro skating and the entire industry is absurd enough as it is. If Dill or anyone running a company want to pay someone regardless of skill level or output it's all good, power to 'em, it's their choice. It's funny. They're not really doing anything of significant importance.
I don't understand why you post in the first place if you just don't care. It didn't seem like your post made any sense, so I felt compelled to call it out.

You're probably right that I care too much, but I feel like that's true of anyone who watches Gifted Hater and posts about him here.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #2359 on: April 12, 2023, 08:50:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don’t think he’s conservative at all. A lot of the Skate Twitter crowd is left leaning. Which I happen to be but these people like call blast someone as racist at the drop of hat. They were calling him racist for the Tyshawn video.  He’s just pointing out their rash white knighting tendencies. They make dumb generalizations about Slap as well.
His use of the terms ”left-leaning”, ”liberal”, ”fascist” and ”soyboy” in a single video stung my ears a bit. If your supposedly not political then why make it political…
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2360 on: April 12, 2023, 10:32:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
His use of the terms ”left-leaning”, ”liberal”, ”fascist” and ”soyboy” in a single video stung my ears a bit. If your supposedly not political then why make it political…

Exactly.  And his focus on Beatrice when he could pick on plenty of other people isn’t only punching down, it’s a dogwhistle for incels who hear his verbage.  I think he’s trying to appeal to both sides, and while it’s a clever tool for maintaining an audience, it’s a slippery and insidious fucking slope if you’re just educating your conservative viewers on more elegant ways to articulate their prejudice.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2361 on: April 12, 2023, 10:38:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I don't understand why you post in the first place if you just don't care. It didn't seem like your post made any sense, so I felt compelled to call it out.

You're probably right that I care too much, but I feel like that's true of anyone who watches Gifted Hater and posts about him here.

Not to speak for Sila, but I think he’s asking why you care about Beatrice so much?  You can not be a fan of making her pro for FA, but so what if she’s pro?  Maybe it’s not actually all doom and gloom.  Maybe Dill making FA more of a glorified talent agency is smart.  Why is change in this case definitely bad?  Gifted Hater says people want to just get mad about something re: the Rumble app carrying SLS, but then he can’t see how he’s the one fixating on FA (perhaps in part because Dill insulted him).  Dude is starting to lose the plot.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 125
« Reply #2362 on: April 12, 2023, 10:51:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

He talked skate Twitter when using these terms.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2363 on: April 12, 2023, 11:02:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Could just be my experience, when someone derides “woke” culture, there’s usually more to it than just that.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #2364 on: April 12, 2023, 11:11:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

And Skate Twitter is a political party?* I don't like the political rhetoric because as soon as you put things on the left-right spectrum (especially in US binary politics) you are playing their game. It just feels like when there is only two sides to the argument, putting down one side is raising up the other one.

I read a quote today that said something like "If we used a different language, we would have a different experience of the world". As soon as you make a topic political, you introduce a lot of baggage and biases with it.

*I never go on twitter unless someone posts a link to a thread, so if indeed there is a group of people there identifying as "skatetwitter" and openly pushing political agenda, then my points are probably invalid
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #2365 on: April 12, 2023, 11:45:03 PM »
Beatrice kinda reminds me of those kids that learn a new trick and then post with all their favorite skate companies tagged on it in hopes of getting sponsored. Just a big shrugging emoji here for me I don’t care but he’s right kinda, like it or not.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2366 on: April 12, 2023, 11:52:44 PM »
Beatrice kinda reminds me of those kids that learn a new trick and then post with all their favorite skate companies tagged on it in hopes of getting sponsored. Just a big shrugging emoji here for me I don’t care but he’s right kinda, like it or not.

Wasn’t she almost literally this?  Dill found her on instagram.  I know Lance Mountain is actually an amazing skater, but I imagine for a lot of people the relatability of her skating is on par with his street sections in Powell videos.  She appeals to a totally different demo that hasn’t traditionally felt included in skating, who are now being invited in.  It’s about representation, even for mediocre skills levels.  No I’m not kidding!

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #2367 on: April 13, 2023, 12:01:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wasn’t she almost literally this?  Dill found her on instagram.  I know Lance Mountain is actually an amazing skater, but I imagine for a lot of people the relatability of her skating is on par with his street sections in Powell videos.  She appeals to a totally different demo that hasn’t traditionally felt included in skating, who are now being invited in.  It’s about representation, even for mediocre skills levels.  No I’m not kidding!

Oh shit in that case I got a homie at my local we gotta get a school photo from asap

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2368 on: April 13, 2023, 12:10:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Oh shit in that case I got a homie at my local we gotta get a school photo from asap

How many ig followers they got?   ;D

WavyDavy

• Rep: 125
« Reply #2369 on: April 13, 2023, 01:29:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
And Skate Twitter is a political party?* I don't like the political rhetoric because as soon as you put things on the left-right spectrum (especially in US binary politics) you are playing their game. It just feels like when there is only two sides to the argument, putting down one side is raising up the other one.

I read a quote today that said something like "If we used a different language, we would have a different experience of the world". As soon as you make a topic political, you introduce a lot of baggage and biases with it.

*I never go on twitter unless someone posts a link to a thread, so if indeed there is a group of people there identifying as "skatetwitter" and openly pushing political agenda, then my points are probably invalid

Twitter is a deeply politicized medium, be it left or right. Every user who stays in a bubble experiences a narrowing of thinking: anyone who is not for us is against us. Sure its not a political party but the echo chamber hes talking about is sharing a left-leaning, mainly liberal ideology.

Language shapes and edits, changes and creates reality, but also serves to describe it. Sure he uses some buzzwords mainly used by trolls, but that happens when someones terminally online.